Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

"POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? (17502 Views)

Poll: poverty is a choice, True or False?

True: 44% (70 votes)
False: 44% (71 votes)
None: 10% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / One Of King Solomon's Wives Was From Ogun State, Nigeria. True Or False? / The Trinity (true Or False). The Love Perspective. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by gene1(m): 7:25pm On Apr 30, 2012
xclusive Job offer @

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Youngsage: 7:40pm On Apr 30, 2012
2good:

You don't even know me and you're telling me not to fall prey of poverty. I know your type. You read so much books and think success is as theoretical as it is stated in books. FYI, I am way out of the poverty class and have nothing else to tell you. Also I dont believe in your bible and your god, so if you want to converse with me, be realistic and not quote from what someone else wrote but instead tell me what you have done and achieve with all your theories and the circumstances you used in achieving them. Enough with all these quotes because I know people that have fallen victim and spoilt their life because they believed in the success story as written by religious authors.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by babamoshe: 7:43pm On Apr 30, 2012
I tink this issue has little to do with pastors or prosperity preachers as we r mentionin. If I look aroun me and see pple rise from grass to grace, then I can do likewise. The poverty mentality is d reason many of us hav remained poor. Until we accept responsibility for our lives...everything will happen anyhow in our lives. I chose to be responsible for wateva situation I find myself and ever since I hav had no cause to regret it. Nothing in life is haphazard....it all depends on us. We are the architects of our own destiny. If u accept responsibility, u begin to effect changes now....if u refuse responsibility, evrytin remains d same! Its in u!
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Youngsage: 7:44pm On Apr 30, 2012
2good:

You don't even know me and you're telling me not to fall prey of poverty. I know your type. You read so much books and think success is as theoretical as it is stated in books. FYI, I am way out of the poverty class and have nothing else to tell you. Also I dont believe in your bible and your god, so if you want to converse with me, be realistic and not quote from what someone else wrote but instead tell me what you have done and achieve with all your theories and the circumstances you used in achieving them. Enough with all these quotes because I know people that have fallen victim and spoilt their life because they believed in the success story as written by religious authors.
Wow! So tell me where u previously saw my post or where i quoted from? I don't have to know you bro, i can tell a lot from the way u're so quick to argue in defence of poverty from your very myopic point of view- Number one symptom of poverty. Now look at you saying you know my type? Haha funny. Well, u say i read so much books, fine. But i do know you dont read books from ur level of understanding. You can't even comprehend my post to see that nothing is theoretical about it. They are simple facts! I was looking at poverty from a general perspective, didn't even cite biblical examples. Well good u made us know how dumb you are though.
You say you are way out of poverty, but you are so dumb to understand that poverty is not only measured in financial terms. You are really a poor dude! Pity.
I can understand your situation 4rm ur last paragraph. So u mean there are no success books written by 'non religious' authors? What stopped them from believing in them then?
Poverty is more than being 'broke'. Some people are poor from the mind. Chronic pessimists
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Apr 30, 2012
As rich,hardworkin & successful as PSQUARE, they agreed ∂α† ''E NOR EASY'' everytin Йą baba God hand workin ˚˚˚°ºH
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by crackhouse(m): 7:48pm On Apr 30, 2012
logicboby:

Do you really think that your post makes any sense?

1) First you talk about vision. Vision or goals are good but if you dont have any means to achieve them, the vision is a useless.

2) You talk about God and Moses. The old testament is of little relevance to modern day life. God also told Moses on how to regulate slavery in the old testament.

pls where in the bible did God told moses to regulate slavery?. I want to start a slave trade but i don't have the constitutional right to kick off, pls if u can give me the bible quotation i will appreciate it. Atleast i will have sth to back it up.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by cyrexx: 7:49pm On Apr 30, 2012
Youngsage:
Cyrexx, i'm afraid you're the one who's not being realistic. From my first post, i didn't mention anywhere that i was in support of 'prosperity preaching' neither did i try to make my post sweet to the ears.
I stated facts, you just probably misunderstood me, and i'll state them again.
Poverty stems from ignorance, a deadly disease. Now note that not academic ignorance, but ignorance of the knowledge to create wealth, potential wealth.
It all arises from the mindset, the mentality. As a man thinketh, so he is. If you think poor, in short term, you will definitely remain poor.
Do you no that wealth surrounds both the rich and the poor? But who gets it first- the rich man. Because the poor man is blinded, by his thoughts, by his friends(other poor men probably), and he probably believes his poverty is a curse, a generational curse, he thinks maybe its my destiny.
The truth is, Poverty is a curse, a wicked master, poor people are his slaves. You may not also know that poverty is a thing of the mind. If you believe you are rich, before you know it, you'll begin confessing it positively. I can go on and on, but a person who is poor mentally and financially, is very ill he needs injection. What injection? The first one will flush the poverty mentality and replace it with wealth mentality.
(wealth 101: secrets to escape poverty).
Summary: get rid of ignorance. A major barrier. Be alert. Knowledge to your geniune wealth may come anywhere, in any format. But its not easy though, pple are just in wrong places at wrong times. Mind you, you dont know where i am or what circumstances i may be /might have been, but like i said b4, it begins 4rm d mindset/thinking.
Do you know the reason why those poor farmers/villagers you mentioned are still poor?
Ignorance it is.
Cheers bro.

@youngsage, God bless your wisdom and insights. i agree that ignorance and poverty mentality is problem of poor people, but that is not the whole story. pls note that the authors of the books you were referring to do not live in Nigeria, if they do they will write a different story. imagine if michael jackson or steve jobs or bill gates or warren buffet had been living in this country, will their talents and hardwork and determination and knowledge and "wealth mentality" have got them to where they are if they started as poor men in this country. even Dangote and Mike adenuga were fortunate to inherit some money before they could build their wealth on it. if you know and you can share a sure formula to become wealthy from zero level, that you have practically tried and has worked for you and can work for anybody, then I salute you, you will be a good consultant for United Nations and can help save the underdeveloped world especially Nigeria. One love, bro smiley

2 Likes

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by crackhouse(m): 7:56pm On Apr 30, 2012
DECOtech: P -passing
O -Over
O -opportunities
R -repeatedly

POVERTY IS IGNORANCE. One has to actually CHOOSE to be enlightened.
u are right baby. That's the full meaning u ve got there.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by betrani(m): 8:00pm On Apr 30, 2012
What u become in life doesn't depend on u alone! It also depend on situations, people and circumstances around u! Compare d life of a boy in burkingham palace; exposed to d best things in life; ranging from good access roads, a good communication system, better healthcare, the internet, better educational facilities etc! To dat of a boy with d same IQ, age etc living in d most typical village in d remotest part of africa, without access to the things mentioned above! I believe ur guez of wat happens to d latter is as good as mine!

2 Likes

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by uchenna2012: 8:00pm On Apr 30, 2012
The bible said "a little folding of hands,a little slumber so shall poverty comes upon you" you make or mar ur future. The story of jabez in the bible readily comes to mind...
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:09pm On Apr 30, 2012
logicboy:

Poverty is not a choice. There are some situations in which a poor person will remain poor unless by some intervention of the goverment or a rich person or charity. There are poor children in the village that dont get education past primary school because of their poor parents- how are they ever going to be rich without external help?

What about manual factory workers who lose their arms or legs in factory accident. Is it really going to be easy for a handicapped person to be rich in Nigeria if he is already poor?

That Preacher is a fake.

[size=20pt]
Is poverty a choice?[/size]

I could agree with you but not completely (not even half) - y'see The Preacher is right (ultimately) and I shall explain
It would seem that Fate has dealt the wrong cards to most people who have found themselves in a "Poor" Environment but no Man is Bound by the situation he is born into. That is why we are Top of the Food Chain. We are Animals with PURPOSE. if you cannot discover a purpose that drives you to rise above your "Poor Thinking" you will simply be stuck in the same Cycle of Poverty you have been born into.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by ENXGREAT: 8:09pm On Apr 30, 2012
I will start with d dude who talked about pple being rich n later in the course of life became poor. Here's my stand on this matter,have u asked yourself how did they end up poor-ans the wrong CHOICES they made. Until u embrace this fact u will remain poor. There are a million stories of pple who were Born poor but never remained in that state because they decided they wanted a better life n pursued It(Again Choices). Listen to d story of a man who conquered poverty n u will see he never gave up in himself or in the hope of a brighter future. I will give u a few tips of how u can free urslf from poverty 1.Giving 2.Persistence 3.Hard work 4.Acknowledging God as ur source So u see pple choice poverty out of ignorance especially God's children. One last advice to folks that speak ill of men of God please for ur sake n that of ur generation unborn stop before u attract d wrath of God in ur finances
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by whitedove(m): 8:12pm On Apr 30, 2012
I believe prosperity is by choice,i have come to realise that wherever you are is the centre of the world:from there you can make things happen!
Also the way we manage our resources be it time,assets or liquid cash determines the kind of choice one is making;for instance,whenever you see a man that is earning #15000 as salary
drinking two bottles of gulder everyday,you can almost predict accurately whether he will end up rich or otherwise!
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by sexyverah(f): 8:12pm On Apr 30, 2012
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed of cos it never a choice to b poor
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by cashfulme: 8:14pm On Apr 30, 2012
cyrexx:

1. you said we should think about this and you didn't leave us anything worth thinking about.
2. if poverty is a choice why are most nigerians (who are incidentally very religious) still poor. cant they simply "look ahead" and see as far as they can see. how come only the prosperity preachers have this ability to "look ahead"
3. why do you think God was talking about money when He was talking to Moses. nigerian prosperity preachers are very good at interpreting scriptures to mean just about anything they want it to mean.
4. if poverty is a choice. then you can choose anything that happens to you. you can choose to be born to a rich family, choose to live in the best economy in the world, choose that rain will not disturb your plans etc. is that true? i need ur answer.

What r u saying? What that preacher simply means is that u should put ur faith to work. Yes we can't choose the family we r born into but u can choose the kind of life u want for urself. The plain truth is dat we have more poor men in Nigeria because many people are lazy, they prefer to eat from other people's sweat!

1 Like

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by betrani(m): 8:18pm On Apr 30, 2012
ENX_GREAT: I will start with d dude who talked about pple being rich n later in the course of life became poor. Here's my stand on this matter,have u asked yourself how did they end up poor-ans the wrong CHOICES they made. Until u embrace this fact u will remain poor. There are a million stories of pple who were Born poor but never remained in that state because they decided they wanted a better life n pursued It(Again Choices). Listen to d story of a man who conquered poverty n u will see he never gave up in himself or in the hope of a brighter future. I will give u a few tips of how u can free urslf from poverty 1.Giving 2.Persistence 3.Hard work 4.Acknowledging God as ur source So u see pple choice poverty out of ignorance especially God's children. One last advice to folks that speak ill of men of God please for ur sake n that of ur generation unborn stop before u attract d wrath of God in ur finances
can u enlighten us on hw u can get rich from scratch as a poor ma without crutches to lean on? I bet u are from a wealthy background and has'nt tested a nyt without food! People like u trive already on riches passed dwn by greatgrand parents!
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by betrani(m): 8:22pm On Apr 30, 2012
ENX_GREAT: I will start with d dude who talked about pple being rich n later in the course of life became poor. Here's my stand on this matter,have u asked yourself how did they end up poor-ans the wrong CHOICES they made. Until u embrace this fact u will remain poor. There are a million stories of pple who were Born poor but never remained in that state because they decided they wanted a better life n pursued It(Again Choices). Listen to d story of a man who conquered poverty n u will see he never gave up in himself or in the hope of a brighter future. I will give u a few tips of how u can free urslf from poverty 1.Giving 2.Persistence 3.Hard work 4.Acknowledging God as ur source So u see pple choice poverty out of ignorance especially God's children. One last advice to folks that speak ill of men of God please for ur sake n that of ur generation unborn stop before u attract d wrath of God in ur finances
If it is only by hard work! Then d truck as well as wheel barrow pushers who do d hardest of hard work, will be d richest people on d planet!
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by mamagee3(f): 8:26pm On Apr 30, 2012
Poverty is not a choice. . .

Saying poverty is a choice is like saying being tall or short is a choice! tongue
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by kkulaja(m): 8:32pm On Apr 30, 2012
Is poverty a choice?How do I make myself clear enuough using right words @ right time.God help me.
I know environment as a lot of role to play in ones life.if you live in the wrong environment you meet with wrong people sometimes marry wrong wife and bear wrong children.The case of poverty being a choice can be traced down to the mindset,some have the mindset of the rich even when they don't have money and such sometimes are not affected with the environment they live in.let's see examples of some of the effects of the environment.
1.If you are a uk citizen,the govt has free education for you up to secondary level. If you are not working and can prove it the govts gives you GIRO for upkeeps and a house to live in.sometimes some people are very comfortable with this low life and don't even want to work or change it.They buy things from same store as the workers do,they live in same environment with them,so o.only their scale of preference is very high.yes in this case you can say yes poverty is a choice.
In the case of nigeria,you have an ageing mother selling rice under the bridge with her pretty daughter,in her bid to make ends meet,somewhere along the line the daughter got pregnant for "all men deny" she begin carry her cross with the baby.did she choose that path?
When these pastors say things like this,I look and think like in the days of our fathers,they used to make sacrifices to Gods and do stuffs to sell their wares,move higher in heirachy in ur organisation,e t c but now we have neglected such culture as we imitate the oyinbos,
I was in neasden sometime & listened to some jamaicans argue. Sayin "God made man in his own image,no that it is Man that made God in our Image.Rich or Poor is a mindset & environment has a lot in effects of this despite your mindset.you can't apply that in 9ja as u would in UK .Cheers NLers

1 Like

Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:33pm On Apr 30, 2012
mama-gee:

Saying poverty is a choice is like saying being tall or short is a choice! tongue

When a young man decides he won't sell oranges/tomatoes in the street to pay his school fees - because he is ashamed of what people might think of him and his poor parents - He has made a choice to be poor - I sold tomatoes, onions, maggi and nylon bags in a market to pay my school fees till i grew chest hair grin

It is a simple concept to understand really - You make choices everyday, just because you do not consciously make them does not mean they have not been made. If you are born into a poor family and you accept your situation as normal, you will remain poor and the cycle will continue with your children until someone has the courage to think beyond his situation and say, "Get Rich or Die Tryin"
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by oobim(m): 8:42pm On Apr 30, 2012
I think it is a choice!i hav a relative who drives okada in d village and has vowed to die as an okada rider.every one has asked him to come learn something else in d city,bt he refused.i believ one thing:there is no particular formular 2 succes
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by tchaik(m): 8:44pm On Apr 30, 2012
crackhouse: pls where in the bible did God told moses to regulate slavery?. I want to start a slave trade but i don't have the constitutional right to kick off, pls if u can give me the bible quotation i will appreciate it. Atleast i will have sth to back it up.
@Crackhouse, you can start by being more serious with your studies (especially Grammar); you might also learn one or two things(logic wise) from this thread only if you can shut up, watch(read) and learn.
mama-gee:

Wrong comparison Sis, very wrong.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by cyrexx: 8:52pm On Apr 30, 2012
ENX_GREAT: One last advice to folks that speak ill of men of God please for ur sake n that of ur generation unborn stop before u attract d wrath of God in ur finances

is that what they told you will happen if you speak the truth you observe about their bad behaviour. they can misbehave and nothing will happen, but if you speak the truth about their misbehaviour you will attract the wrath of God on your finances and generations unborn. pls no offense, bro; but it shows the extent of their advanced psychological manipulation on you and other people's mentality, controlling them with fear and justifying their lavish lifestyle. i used to live under that fear, but not anymore. the only person i fear is GOD and GOD ALONE, not these fake prosperity preachers who called themsevles men of God and defrauding people.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Spirit96(m): 8:52pm On Apr 30, 2012
crackhouse: Yeah, he said it cos he believes poverty is a choice made by poor people. Probably the man was poor before venturing into church business and now he have found out that church business pays and that he would have remain poor if he had not made that choice. I think that is the reason why he said so.
Ofcourse he made d CHOICE 2 venture in2 church biz n poverty is gone. So also, d poor hearted shld make d same CHOICE n be free frm poverty.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/color][color=]
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by 2good(m): 8:58pm On Apr 30, 2012
Youngsage:
Wow! So tell me where u previously saw my post or where i quoted from? I don't have to know you bro, i can tell a lot from the way u're so quick to argue in defence of poverty from your very myopic point of view- Number one symptom of poverty. Now look at you saying you know my type? Haha funny. Well, u say i read so much books, fine. But i do know you dont read books from ur level of understanding. You can't even comprehend my post to see that nothing is theoretical about it. They are simple facts! I was looking at poverty from a general perspective, didn't even cite biblical examples. Well good u made us know how dumb you are though.
You say you are way out of poverty, but you are so dumb to understand that poverty is not only measured in financial terms. You are really a poor dude! Pity.
I can understand your situation 4rm ur last paragraph. So u mean there are no success books written by 'non religious' authors? What stopped them from believing in them then?
Poverty is more than being 'broke'. Some people are poor from the mind. Chronic pessimists

I asked you a simple question on what you've achieved from all your theoretical analysis and all you can answer is to rant and make noise. I really dont have time to deal with people like you because you are an educated illiterate.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by rejoke(f): 9:03pm On Apr 30, 2012
Well i would say... Poverty is not by choice but one can decide to be poor sub-consciously,depending on the decision one makes. Nobody want's to be poor but situations may deprive one from being rich, de say' wen u hookup with d right people, d right connection, a feasible opportunity, u will meet wealth' some persons has wat de call hard luck.. Nothing works for them even the fast lane may backfire. But u can gearup ur determination and tak drastic steps... Which ever ways to make a difference. Just dont settle for less.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Spirit96(m): 9:07pm On Apr 30, 2012
kkulaja: Is poverty a choice?How do I make myself clear enuough using right words @ right time.God help me.
I know environment as a lot of role to play in ones life.if you live in the wrong environment you meet with wrong people sometimes marry wrong wife and bear wrong children.The case of poverty being a choice can be traced down to the mindset,some have the mindset of the rich even when they don't have money and such sometimes are not affected with the environment they live in.let's see examples of some of the effects of the environment.
1.If you are a uk citizen,the govt has free education for you up to secondary level. If you are not working and can prove it the govts gives you GIRO for upkeeps and a house to live in.sometimes some people are very comfortable with this low life and don't even want to work or change it.They buy things from same store as the workers do,they live in same environment with them,so o.only their scale of preference is very high.yes in this case you can say yes poverty is a choice.
In the case of nigeria,you have an ageing mother selling rice under the bridge with her pretty daughter,in her bid to make ends meet,somewhere along the line the daughter got pregnant for "all men deny" she begin carry her cross with the baby.did she choose that path?
When these pastors say things like this,I look and think like in the days of our fathers,they used to make sacrifices to Gods and do stuffs to sell thDeir wares,move higher in heirachy in ur organisation,e t c but now we have neglected such culture as we imitate the oyinbos,
I was in neasden sometime & listened to some jamaicans argue. Sayin "God made man in his own image,no that it is Man that made God in our Image.Rich or Poor is a mindset & environment has a lot in effects of this despite your mindset.you can't apply that in 9ja as u would in UK .Cheers NLers
My brother d young lady made her CHOICE 2 be pregnant under d bridge.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by Dsage1: 9:20pm On Apr 30, 2012
All of you saying poverty is a choice were either youths who has never faced with the reality of life or still feeding/paying by their parents. How can pple choose to be poor?

I wonder how a reasonable man open his mouth saying it was ignorant,lack of focus etc that makes pple's poor,while we have many highly educated pple who're still poor and roaming about the streets without jobs.

Nigeria in the 1970s/80s where pple were borned into the poor families and stll make it afterall,was quite different from todays Nigeria where pple inherit poverty,due to unfavourable economic conditions.Its all about opportunity and luck to make it in this country. We should pls,stop blaming others for their predicament,jst because we are fortunate in one way or the other.
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by cyrexx: 9:25pm On Apr 30, 2012
D sage: All of you saying poverty is a choice were either youths who has never faced with the reality of life or still feeding/paying by their parents. How can pple choose to be poor?

I wonder how a reasonable man open his mouth saying it was ignorant,lack of focus etc that makes pple's poor,while we have many highly educated pple who're still poor and roaming about the streets without jobs.

Nigeria in the 1970s/80s where pple were borned into the poor families and stll make it afterall,was quite different from todays Nigeria where pple inherit poverty,due to unfavourable economic conditions.Its all about opportunity and luck to make it in this country. We should pls,stop blaming others for their predicament,jst because we are fortunate in one way or the other.

true talk, pls help me tell them make them hear
Re: "POVERTY" Is A Choice, True Or False? by AjanleKoko: 9:26pm On Apr 30, 2012
The preacher is half-right, even though he is most likely talking out of his azz.

While it is true that a better understanding of how money works can unlock a door to riches for the discerning individual, poverty should not be an acceptable feature of any society in this modern world, where we have made great strides in science, technology, and medicine. Provision of the basic fundamentals for a dignified living should be the prerogative of every government. That is why you see the Nordic nations with a very high quality of life, and non-existent poverty, while developing nations like Nigeria choose to emulate the capitalist greed of powerful imperialist nations like the US, resulting in millions left impoverished.

In fact, you can see the hypocrisy of societies like the US, when you listen to the rabid arguments of the right wing against populist programs like Obamacare and the initiatve to tax the rich. It's also ironic that the US is also the birthplace of all the Pentecostal superstars of the 21st century. Many of them, in the so-called 'Bible Belt', oppose the democratic party, and also push the same mantra of 'poverty is by choice.

Mohammed Yunus of Grameen fame has made it his life's work to eradicate poverty in his homeland Bangladesh. Those are the kind of examples the developing world should emulate, in my view.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / Where Was God During The Rwandan Genocide ? / Reason Why Many Will Not Make Heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.