Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

How Do I Prevent My Website From Being Hacked? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do I Prevent My Website From Being Hacked? (2394 Views)

How Can I Prevent / And Index.html From Having The Same Title Tage? / How Can You Secure A Website from Being Hacked? / Jazzyfans On Attempt Of Being Hacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Prevent My Website From Being Hacked? by Peterson1993(m): 11:23pm On Apr 30, 2012
Greetings my fellow great NL webmasters. Even with my little experience on programming, i have always been tempted to
be a site owner as soon as posible because no time but the fear
of being hacked always discourages me.

Just google search "hacked by Mr X, Mr C or DZ- Z3RO" and see for yourself in bundles how innocent guys are been hacked from their dreams. so many popular naija sites has been hacked by that Mr X. I know there are some security measures that can be taken to
avoid these lunatics. Pls share with us on any security measure u are familiar with? I have read hundreads of ur security tips but still hungry for more because reading anything website/blog related is what i just cant stop doing cos i just wana be an untouchable site owner. Some times i just wish if i had started learning programming my mother's womb. @ Seun pls u can share with us on how u prevent this great website from being hacked by these bad hacker guys?
Re: How Do I Prevent My Website From Being Hacked? by Nobody: 9:44am On May 01, 2012
two major ways websites are hacked, sql injection and denial of service/brute force attack, if you have ssl certificate installed on the server for your site, brute force and denial of service would almost be impossible, if u're running wordpress, there are pluggins that can imitate this system by reducing login attempts, post attempts per minute depending on your config, if you know how to use .htaccess very well, you could easily achieve this without the use of plugins(i must warn that plugins are not the ultimate solution since there is a possibility plugins themselves can be hacked).

You could also make your login pages and database entry for your login pages encrypted, most login pages send the username and password to the database for cross reference in plain text, including nairaland!

Sql injection prevention can mainly be implemented during design, if you're using a cms you didn't develop like wordpress, joomla, drupal etc, there's very little you can do to implement a prevention. Having said all this, agree in your mind that there is no 100% bullet proof system, nothing is secure, everything on this planet can be hacked, even the human mind can now be read by devices!
Re: How Do I Prevent My Website From Being Hacked? by abhosts(m): 10:42am On May 01, 2012
fewj: two major ways websites are hacked, sql injection and denial of service/brute force attack, if you have ssl certificate installed on the server for your site, brute force and denial of service would almost be impossible, if u're running wordpress, there are pluggins that can imitate this system by reducing login attempts, post attempts per minute depending on your config, if you know how to use .htaccess very well, you could easily achieve this without the use of plugins(i must warn that plugins are not the ultimate solution since there is a possibility plugins themselves can be hacked).

You could also make your login pages and database entry for your login pages encrypted, most login pages send the username and password to the database for cross reference in plain text, including nairaland!

Sql injection prevention can mainly be implemented during design, if you're using a cms you didn't develop like wordpress, joomla, drupal etc, there's very little you can do to implement a prevention. Having said all this, agree in your mind that there is no 100% bullet proof system, nothing is secure, everything on this planet can be hacked, even the human mind can now be read by devices!

No, an SSL cert does not secure your site from hacking. It simply ensures that data Transmitted and Received are done via a secure channel.
Re: How Do I Prevent My Website From Being Hacked? by Nobody: 11:15am On May 01, 2012
If ssl ensures that data Transmitted and Received are done via a secure channel, doesn't that prevent sniffing and password theft and as such helps to prevent hacking and password exposure? A hacker needs to understand how your system works to hack it, if he can't easily read the structure of your site and how information is transferred, he can't hack the site!

when an ssl certificate is installed, your site uses the https extension, most linux servers (i don't know of any that doesn't automatically) improve session restriction, lock down automatically when there is a suspected brute force activity.
Re: How Do I Prevent My Website From Being Hacked? by Peterson1993(m): 12:26pm On May 01, 2012
fewj: Having said all this, agree in your mind that there is no 100% bullet proof system, nothing is secure, everything on this planet can be hacked, even the human mind can now be read by devices!
great guys. Daz almost exactly what a great naija bloger told me .i.e Don Caprio of Doncaprio.com and he said i quote " no website is 100% safe. It all has to do with the covery of already existing loopholes and hope the preying hackers dont find hidden loopholes. But the answer still confuses me cos i dont even know what loophole really is and how to cover them dint even make any sense to me. I think i have alot to learn.
Re: How Do I Prevent My Website From Being Hacked? by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 01, 2012
fewj: If ssl ensures that data Transmitted and Received are done via a secure channel, doesn't that prevent sniffing and password theft and as such helps to prevent hacking and password exposure? A hacker needs to understand how your system works to hack it, if he can't easily read the structure of your site and how information is transferred, he can't hack the site!

when an ssl certificate is installed, your site uses the https extension, most linux servers (i don't know of any that doesn't automatically) improve session restriction, lock down automatically when there is a suspected brute force activity.

when an ssl certificate is installed, your site does not "use", you have to "make it use" https.
https is not an extension in anyway, it's a protocol just like http, except that it's secure.

linux servers dont automatically do magics, you have to either install the magic written by someone else or you write yours.
Re: How Do I Prevent My Website From Being Hacked? by Slyr0x: 9:25am On May 04, 2012
Can you view documents on http://www.scribd.com/ so I can upload there?
Re: How Do I Prevent My Website From Being Hacked? by Peterson1993(m): 1:02pm On May 05, 2012
Slyr0x: Can you view documents on http://www.scribd.com/ so I can upload there?
am not too familiar with the site. But i think i can try. Maybe i search for it through that search button. But pls tell the search keyword when up finish uploading it. Thanks alot

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Social Network Developer Or Script Ilke Facebook / We Offer Real HUMAN Traffic For Your Website / Feedback And "contact Us", Are They The Same?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.