Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here - Travel (869) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / DV 2013 Winners Meet Here (921122 Views)

DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / Dv Lottery 2013 Winners: Let's Discuss Here / Dv 2012 Result Is Out ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (866) (867) (868) (869) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by mata1ng(m): 1:40am On Sep 01, 2017
where is GENTIGER!!!

Right everyone is busy with life now.

Tiwanna:
How time flies. Where are all the people that started this page back then. cry cry cry
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by SDG1(m): 10:01pm On Dec 03, 2017
phabulousgpikin:
DV winners, please read this first ! General Info

Common terms important for Diversity Visa ( DV ) winners:

If you are a DV winner, the result came-out MAY 1st 2012 & we should be expecting some other result in OCTOBER 2012.
There will be 50,000 visas granted : winner ( principal applicant ) and family members are taken into account in the number of visas.

GC = Green card ( ! )

NL = Notification letter: Sent to the ESC website, you'll need to print it out.
There are 50,000 visas, but more people receive a NL, as there are some requirements that may not be met by the applicant ( education, evidence of support, health...), and other reasons ( moved to a different address and never receives the NL, death, changed his mind and does not want to immigrate to the US anymore .... )
So, receiving a letter does not necessarily mean being granted a visa.

KCC = Kentucky Consular Center ( where the NL came from ! )
contact : kccdv@state.gov , and (606) 526-7500 ( US phone number )
You need to know your case number when you call.

CP = Consular Processing ( do the interview at a US consulate/embassy )
AOS = Adjustment of Status ( adjust your visa in the US ) if you are legally present in the US

If you have a valid visa and live in the US, you can choose between CP and AOS ( the "choice" depends on your case number: if high, AOS is risky; the costs for you to fly back if CP ...) . If you don't, then there is only CP.

Case number : that's a very important thing ! ( it starts with 2letters standing for your region : AF, EU, OC SA, AS )
It will determine your interview date if your number is called ( current ).
The bulletin gives you the information :
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/b...letin_1360.html
In some way, the case number represents your chance to get an interview, thus to get a GC. If it's rather high for your region, you might not be called ( your number is never current, not even at the end ), or being called late ( August or Sept ). But remember that for some countries, name and background checks take a couple of weeks. So, Sept 30th can come before you get cleared...

Also, education and english skills play a role as it will help in finding a job.
The immigration officer determines your potential to become public charge. So the more proofs you provide that you won't become one, the better for you.

POE = Port of Entry : if you were doing CP and were successful, you will enter the US with a brown enveloppe that has to remain sealed ( don't open it, it's for immigration officers ). Usually, it's an airport. There, the process to get the plastic GC will be activated.

Hope this helps cheesy
JESUS IS LORD!!! smiley
My question is, at the interview what exactly is asked concerning Green Card visa?
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by AdetonaDami(m): 8:46pm On Feb 28, 2019
Tiwanna:
How time flies. Where are all the people that started this page back then. cry cry cry

I can see you're a vessel of honour on this thread then... its just life.
God bless you
All the best
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by atseyi(m): 11:26pm On Feb 28, 2019
AdetonaDami:

I can see you're a vessel of honour on this thread then... its just life.
God bless you
All the best

I know right, everyone is busy now ... this platform was a great tool for me 2012... everyone here was very helpful.. i wish Nigeria itself runs like this :-) would have been nice ... From I won the Lottery ..to ..how am I going to do this and that ...to .. Welcome to America ... to .. got my Green Card.. LOL, to.... wait 5 years ... to Naturalization (Blue Passport)... Its been a Journey...All thanks to everyone here.

2 Likes

Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by Ugosample(m): 11:46pm On Feb 28, 2019
atseyi:

I know right, everyone is busy now ... this platform was a great tool for me 2012... everyone here was very helpful.. i wish Nigeria itself runs like this :-) would have been nice ... From I won the Lottery ..to ..how am I going to do this and that ...to .. Welcome to America ... to .. got my Green Card.. LOL, to.... wait 5 years ... to Naturalization (Blue Passport)... Its been a Journey...All thanks to everyone here.

now.you.have your blue passport?

congratulations
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by AdetonaDami(m): 8:16am On Mar 01, 2019
atseyi:

Wow congrats tho, late than never..lol

Yes o I can relate very well....I'm presently going thru what you passed thru then tho, and this forum has really helped me immensely.

its the Canada Express Entry thread tho, and I've been getting enough information that would help me scale through the hurdle. It will end in praise by Gods grace and the rest will be history just like this thread here and your story....

I can't wait to leave naija...
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by hammed71(m): 8:52pm On Mar 01, 2019
By the way what's the probability that Nigeria would be eligible for the dv lottery again
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by atseyi(m): 8:56pm On Mar 01, 2019
hammed71:
By the way what's the probability that Nigeria would be eligible for the dv lottery again

I don't see it coming with Trump regime.
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by Nobody: 11:54pm On Mar 12, 2019
Waow!...it's been 7 years now. I wonder where those lucky souls who won the visa lotteries back then are now...the challenges and opportunities they have faced...and if life abroad was all they hoped it'll be.

Oh, the stories they would tell...all sweet and bitter. The perfect mix of life.

I just wonder

1 Like

Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by IAmImes: 4:54am On Apr 18, 2020
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by IAmImes: 4:54am On Apr 18, 2020

1 Like

Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by seal777(m): 7:31am On Feb 22, 2021
I am one of those lucky ones who won the last batch of the visa lottery in 2012 and to God be the glory, it's been a mix of bitter-sweet experiences but with a very happy ending.

I left Nigeria on March 30th, 2013 for Houston Texas, I had a very hard start because I came into America with a $100 bill, yes a single hundred dollar bill from which I took a shuttle ride to my host house with $36 and opened my first bank account with Bank of America a few days later.

It was extremely hard for me to get a job fast because I don't have a car or the money to buy one, my host was still new in the system with absolutely no knowledge or experience to share but it all went well to date but not without series of challenges and been homeless for somedays along the way.

I left my wife who was 6 months pregnant back then, My first trip back to Nigeria was September 2014 after 18 months to check on my wife and son, and other members of the family, it was a very emotional experience to be in Nigeria again and I promised my wife to be back soonest which I did 6 months later in March 2015, I have visited Nigeria back and forth 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018,2019 except for 2020 because of the Covid crisis

I started filling for my wife and son after 2 years in the system and they have since joined me in March 2017, we had another son in September 2020.

God has blessed us with a nice house in Nigeria which was built to completion in 2017.

Looking back, it's been nothing but determination, hard work, tenacity, optimism, and above all the grace of God.

Waow!...it's been 7 years now. I wonder where those lucky souls who won the visa lotteries back then are now...the challenges and opportunities they have faced...and if life abroad was all they hoped it'll be.

Oh, the stories they would tell...all sweet and bitter. The perfect mix of life.

I just wonder

18 Likes

Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by fendorf(m): 7:37am On Feb 22, 2021
[quote author=seal777 post=99304489]I am one of those lucky ones who won the last batch of the visa lottery in 2012 and to God be the glory, it's been a mix of bitter-sweet experiences but with a very happy ending.

Congratulations.I hope more people who won the visa lottery will come out to share the journey experience with us.maybe a thread should be opened for this.
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by yemmywesey(m): 2:17am On Feb 23, 2021
I thanked God for everyone that has won the dv lottery before it was scrapped by obama.
I tried my best too, I aspired to win it too but God didn't allowed me to win before it was scrapped.
I started applying for the dv lottery diversity program from year 2001 while I was in sss1 in secondary school in Lagos, and I applied for it yearly till it was scrapped by obama administration in year 2011 while I was in 400 level at the University in ibadan.
processing american visa now nah jamb exam, especially under past presidency of Donald trump which made a master's student visa a hell.
am still on the struggle to emigrate though, things are not the way they used to be in the past anymore.

1 Like

Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by aieromon(m): 8:14am On Feb 23, 2021
yemmywesey:
I thanked God for everyone that has won the dv lottery before it was scrapped by obama.
I tried my best too, I aspired to win it too but God didn't allowed me to win before it was scrapped.
I started applying for the dv lottery diversity program from year 2001 while I was in sss1 in secondary school in Lagos, and I applied for it yearly till it was scrapped by obama administration in year 2011 while I was in 400 level at the University in ibadan.
processing american visa now nah jamb exam, especially under past presidency of Donald trump which made a master's student visa a hell.
am still on the struggle to emigrate though, things are not the way they used to be in the past anymore.

The program is still ongoing. Nigeria and some countries are just ineligible to participate.

Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by yemmywesey(m): 4:14pm On Feb 23, 2021
aieromon:

The program is still ongoing. Nigeria and some countries are just ineligible to participate.

ok.
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by Nickisindigo(m): 3:57pm On Feb 25, 2021
yemmywesey:

ok.
sis you still dey naija
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by yemmywesey(m): 4:33pm On Feb 26, 2021
Nickisindigo:
sis you still dey naija
yeah.
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by yunqdady: 3:00pm On Sep 29, 2021
yemmywesey:
Mhen, u na legend.
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by yunqdady: 3:01pm On Sep 29, 2021
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by TWoods(m): 10:50am On Oct 01, 2021
yunqdady:
Why lottery? Why not a point based system? UsA is confused

Why? If your country was any better, you wouldn't be concerned with whatever metric the US chooses to use to determine who comes into their borders.
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by yunqdady: 10:07pm On Oct 01, 2021
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by atseyi(m): 5:29am On Nov 13, 2022
How time flies. where are all the wonderful people here? this forum serve as a reminder that anything is possible, would be so nice to re-connect.
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by hammed71(m): 7:08am On Nov 13, 2022
atseyi:
How time flies. where are all the wonderful people here? this forum serve as a reminder that anything is possible, would be so nice to re-connect.
it's a shame that nigerians are no longer eligible
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by simayanki4real(m): 10:38pm On Dec 02, 2023
Kudos to the house! Came to say Hi to 2013 comrades.
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by Lheyhe(m): 5:31am On Jan 09
AdetonaDami:

Wow congrats tho, late than never..lol

Yes o I can relate very well....I'm presently going thru what you passed thru then tho, and this forum has really helped me immensely.

its the Canada Express Entry thread tho, and I've been getting enough information that would help me scale through the hurdle. It will end in praise by Gods grace and the rest will be history just like this thread here and your story....

I can't wait to leave naija...

How time flies, I created this thread about 12 years ago... Life can be so intriguing. cheesy
Re: DV 2013 Winners Meet Here by hammed71(m): 7:00am On Jan 09
So where are you now
Lheyhe:

How time flies, I created this thread about 12 years ago... Life can be so intriguing. cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (866) (867) (868) (869) (Reply)

QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Studying In Finland (free Tuition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.