Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,898 members, 7,834,983 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions (8003 Views)

FG Bans Civil Servants From Chieftaincy Titles / FG To Regulate Conferment Of Chieftaincy Titles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by uzoo: 2:24pm On Nov 02, 2012
So i was listening to a reporter on tv and i heard him say "Architect" Namadi Sambbo. . . . . . bla bla bla.

and then you hear some other people say things like "Engineer" Tokunbo Bello .

my point is, its alright to refer to someone as 'Doctor' Okafor or Judge Williams or Ambassador Johnson or General Adebayo etc ..

this is because,some of these are titles EARNED.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 02, 2012
Its not peculiar to Nigeria alone. Its an acceptable anormally
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by searay(m): 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2012
Since I'm an agiculturist, I think my title will goes thus:
Farmer(Fr) Searay E. A, FSLC, SSCE, B.SC, FWC, NTA, OOP, BIS, MTN, CTV, OON, RIP

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by osifred(m): 2:44pm On Nov 02, 2012
What is the essence of this thread?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Foxybone(m): 2:46pm On Nov 02, 2012
Dude, you need some skunk grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 02, 2012
OP, you're making zero sense.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Wizcat(m): 2:47pm On Nov 02, 2012
Dr. Mr. Prof. Bar. Engr. Banker WIZCAT, {GRCF, OON, HIV, STD,} i solemy swear dat i'll rule in truth....amen

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 02, 2012
I think its as a result of pride,we kinda place so much importance on titles and 'big names' cos thats the Nigerian mentality...the sweeter ur title,the more u have to offer. Buh dude,u didn't present ur case well.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by oubi: 2:48pm On Nov 02, 2012
E be like say everybod don becom moderator. Or is there an option or sm kinda cheat dat enables one move his/her thread to d front page

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nuezha(m): 2:49pm On Nov 02, 2012
An elite turned down an invitation to an event. When asked why, he simply said: "that invitation card wasn't for me, I am Engr Dr (Chief) ABC not Mr ABC"
This was a true story.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Wizcat(m): 2:50pm On Nov 02, 2012
Poster instead of u 2 tell us on hw 2 make quick money u dey hia dey make noise

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 02, 2012
uzoo: So i was listening to a reporter on tv and i heard him say "Architect" Namadi Sambbo. . . . . . bla bla bla.

and then you hear some other people say things like "Engineer" Tokunbo Bello .

my point is, its alright to refer to someone as 'Doctor' Okafor or Judge Williams or Ambassador Johnson or General Adebayo etc ..

this is because,some of these are titles EARNED.

Architect,lawyers,just like doctors and judges are entitled to their titles irrespective of their deviation into politics.You are only confused because namadi is a politician that still uses his professional title.nothing wrong with it ma.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 02, 2012
ItsModella: OP, you're making zero sense.
Try reading between the lines,or are u senseless??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 02, 2012
Wizcat: Poster instead of u 2 tell us on hw 2 make quick money u dey hia dey make noise
abi ooo.. na title I wan chop??
no be person like Dr 2face dey build mansions all around lagos..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by 2pence(m): 3:00pm On Nov 02, 2012
I sincerely do not think all those matter, I mean Obama is Barrack Obama full stop;We seem to attach so much to title really,More irritating is the one that when you call someone to make an opening remark and he/she starts by saying "I stand on an existing protocol" whatever that is ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 02, 2012
binger: Try reading between the lines,or are u senseless??
Don't try to make me angry. There is nothing for me to read in between the lines, the OP's post is not clear enough to me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 02, 2012
acidosis™:

abi ooo.. na title I wan chop??
no be person like Dr 2face dey build mansions all around lagos..
grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 02, 2012
Nuezha: An elite turned down an invitation to an event. When asked why, he simply said: "that invitation card wasn't for me, I am Engr Dr (Chief) ABC not Mr ABC"
This was a true story.
my uncle turned down promotion to become federal permanent secretary because the letter read Mr. instead of Dr.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Novice1(m): 3:11pm On Nov 02, 2012
it has to do with a complex suffered by Africans in general.

If you are sure of your worth, you dont need people to address you with titles to feel important.
The quaity of a man's character/training should emanate from his/her interactions with fellow human beings and not from titles.

Most people brandishing titles about in Nigeria/africa are actually hollow from the inside.

I have seen people in their remedial yr (Law) in d University being called "Barrister"
And stark illiterates bestowed "doctorate" titles by our compromised universities.

And village chieftaincy titles? thats a free-for-all. Just make a few bucks (by hook or crook) and go back and shower the village head and a few kingmakers, voila! you now have "chief" to add to your titles.

It is all in vain.

The real achievement is how much you impact other people's lives positively.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Skywalker5(m): 3:14pm On Nov 02, 2012
The op is making correct sense. Everyone wants the title of their profession attached to their name (Same Bigman syndrome). Its funny as i saw one guys contact card and i was shocked. The titles the guy kept before his name and he advertised all his education and certificates in just one complimentary card. I was shocked.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by nagoma(m): 3:14pm On Nov 02, 2012
2pence: I sincerely do not think all those matter, I mean Obama is Barrack Obama full stop;We seem to attach so much to title really,More irritating is the one that when you call someone to make an opening remark and he/she starts by saying "I stand on an existing protocol" whatever that is ?

Pharmacists and Engineers started it because they think Doctors are taking away too much glory leaving them less dignified - hence Pharmacist- Mrs. Kunta and Engeneer Ademusa Obi. All the others ,teachers, farmers, archtects, plumbers, welders,tailors, carpenters,masons and market women followed suit.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 02, 2012
ItsModella:
Don't try to make me angry. There is nothing for me to read in between the lines, the OP's post is not clear enough to me.
That does not mean he made 'zero sense',even a 5th grader will understand what he's driving at.don't try to make him a fool cos he didn't xpress himself well enuf!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Dranatomy: 3:17pm On Nov 02, 2012
you wil never value titles wen u dont know wat it takes to have it...In Nigeria ,before u earn a particular certificate, u must suffer like murderer...In western world, learning and gaining of certificates is a good experience....dats y they hardly value titles there...But be it as it may, our attitudes toward these titles is wat matters not the title itself....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Kajiang02(m): 3:18pm On Nov 02, 2012
I wonder why Barack Obama doesn't go by Barr. Sen. etc.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by salam001(m): 3:22pm On Nov 02, 2012
Hahahahahaha gagagagagaga huhuhuhuhuhu pupupupupupu
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 02, 2012
blink182: my uncle turned down promotion to become federal permanent secretary because the letter read Mr. instead of Dr.

Liar
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by MacLovington(m): 3:35pm On Nov 02, 2012
@Nagoma,

.....................and welders, masons and market women followed suite.

Pliz don't crack my ribs grin.

A lot of people suffer from emptiness and undue pride. They want titles by any means.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by aduje(m): 3:35pm On Nov 02, 2012
lol...this thread makes me remember a man who use to work at Global Fleet Group (Jimoh Ibrahim Farm).. The man addresses himself as.....DR LAGBAJA SOMEBODY PhD.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by MacLovington(m): 3:36pm On Nov 02, 2012
Kajiang02: I wonder why Barack Obama doesn't go by Barr. Sen. etc.

or even Dr. Because JD is a doctoral degree/professional doctorate even though it's a primary law qualification in the US.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by MacLovington(m): 3:40pm On Nov 02, 2012
aduje: lol...this thread makes me remember a man who use to work at Global Fleet Group (Jimoh Ibrahim Farm).. The man addresses himself as.....DR LAGBAJA SOMEBODY PhD.

Ehh na.
You think he would follow the rule of using either prefix or suffix? No be for Naija.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Agiliti(m): 3:42pm On Nov 02, 2012
when people feel empty inside, they have the need to address themselves with the most noise.
somebody like soyinka would not come out and call himself something like "prof. laureate wole soyinka, phd" because the world knows what he has achieved and his achievements are also verifiable.

but someone who has not engineered anything or "chiefed" over anyone or doctored anything (maybe their degree grin) would get especially mad whan you dont address them by their full titles
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by snthesis(m): 3:51pm On Nov 02, 2012
a professional engineer in Nigeria is entiltled to affix "Engr" before his name. so its not wrong- get ur facts right.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu's Alleged Hideout Revealed / SERAP Writes Buhari, Seeks Speedy Trial Of Corrupt Past Governors / Photos Of Cars Burnt As APC Thugs Clash With Igbo Traders At Dei Dei Market, Abu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.