Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,903 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland (2020 Views)

GEJ Ridiculed By Kenyans For Bringing 7 Private Jets To Kenyan Independence / Facebook Fans Ridiculed Dino Melaye On Democracy Day! / Jonathan Ridiculed On 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by azorjiu(m): 12:54am On Nov 12, 2007
This is the view of the rest of the world about nigeria- a country where the second highest earner to the economy is SCAM.

Are we what these people think we are? I believe we are not.

Nigeria vice-president confused and upset
STUART BATHGATE
In Colombo
THE delegation from Abuja, who had thrown their hearts if not always their heads into their attempt to become the first African country to host the Commonwealth Games, generally reacted to their defeat by 47 votes to 24 in a dignified manner. One person who found it hard to accept the democratic vote in favour of Glasgow, however, was the vice-president of Nigeria, Dr Goodluck Jonathan.

"The Commonwealth Games Federation is not kind to Africa," said Jonathan, who had spoken as part of Abuja's presentation immediately before the vote by the Commonwealth Games General Assembly. "There was no reason for us to lose.

"The delegation know why we lost - I don't know. I'm not sure if we would bid again, that is something we would have to think about. I don't know what we did wrong."
General Yakubu Gowon, the country's former dictator, was less self-pitiful in his assessment. "Glasgow won the vote, which was free and fair, and Abuja says well done to Scotland and all the best for 2014," the general said.

"Will we bid again? I think that will be left to the government. We've given our reasons why the Games should come to Africa and it was up to the delegates to decide. If they're not convinced by it, all well and good, but you one day have to complete that circle whether you like it or not.

"Just like FIFA did when they awarded the world cup to South Africa and in Africa for the first time, the Federation have to do that in the very near future. I think we should leave the Commonwealth Games Federation to do their own thing.

"We started with three [candidate cities] in Glasgow - old Scotland; Hamilton - new Scotland in Nova Scotia; and Abuja," he went on. (Hamilton withdrew because of lack of public support.) "Countries must show interest in hosting the Games and it's up to the delegates to cose which one."

The Nigerian delegation had expressed their great confidence in a positive outcome for them, and Gowon was left clutching at straws when asked to explain the result. "I think the taste of the Scottish whisky has attracted them," he said, referring to the hospitality on offer in the Scottish centre in the conference hotel and at the ceilidh in the same venue on Wednesday night. "We haven't changed anything in our minds, but the outcome is totally different.

"But you must accept that is what the vote is and we accept it. We would like to wish Glasgow well, and I'm sure we'll have a very good Games in Glasgow in 2014 - if I'm still alive at 80 I will be there."

Related topic

Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014
http://sport.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=1589
This article: http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1784832007

Last updated: 10-Nov-07 00:34 GMT

Comments Add your comment1. Scullion, Canada / 2:14am 10 Nov 2007

Some gracious words but although Nigeria has sponsored African football tournaments, its notorious reputation for being one of the most corrupt countries on earth can't be easily swept away.

2. Tricia / 2:26am 10 Nov 2007
Did the current instability in Nigeria have a big effect on the vote?

3. Tatties ower the side, Johannesburg / 3:48am 10 Nov 2007
Dr Goodluck Jonathan should take time to read some Burns. 'Wad some pow'r the giftie gie us, tae see oorselves as ithers see us"

If the Nigerians took a good look at themselves and their country from an external perspective, they would know very well why they did not win.

4. Hugo, Ayrshire / 4:46am 10 Nov 2007
Be as generous to the losers as they were to the winners

5. Media 1, cape town / 7:04am 10 Nov 2007
The words uttered by Yakubu Gowon in relation to the games and the continent of Africa, are typical of the African mindset.

"but you one day you have to complete that circle whether you like it or not"

Wrong! I would say that the cycle, which sees Africa continue to lag behind must change, prior to the games coming to Africa. Scotland, and Glasgow won because they can offer stability, modern infrastructure and safety for tourists within reasonably acceptable standards. Nigeria cannot offer that, and until she can, she must be excluded from hosting such events

6. I'm no really here / 7:15am 10 Nov 2007
Oil-rich country with the majority of its people living in abject poverty (it IS Nigeria I'm talking about). A corrupt Government that gives vocal support to Mugabe. If they had won, vast amounts of resources meant to feed it's people would have been spent on hosting sports for a few weeks in 2014.

Underdeveloped countries should be ruled out of hosting these events. Their governments sex-attack their counties dry in order to get a bit of personal glory.

7. Media 1, cape town / 7:32am 10 Nov 2007
#6 I'm no really here

You are absolutely spot on.

Africa is a disgrace in terms of its ability to raise her people and their economies. Corruption, support for mad men like Mugabe, coup after bloody coup, internal party figthting, an inherent addiction to one party rule and dictatorship, military rule, bad governance, economic decline on the back of power hungry leaders hell bent on raping the people of their right to a better quality of life.

It never ends! Bad roads, no public transport systems, not much for a tourist to do, a lack of safety for tourists, not much running water or electricity, and poverty everywhere. Had Nigeria won these games, 95% of her people would not have been involved, nor would they benefit. The only winners would have been the fat cat political powerhouses.

That is not to say that Nigeria cannot overcome her current position. She Can! Nigeria has the potential to be one of the most awesome nations on the continent, indeed the world. But Nigeria needs to make that happen

8. PeteBrown, England / 8:07am 10 Nov 2007
If you have travelled through Scotland,I mean,its breath-taking compared to Nigeria!I am a Nigerian,but it baffles me why we should, as a nation,should be left in abject poverty while the very very few in power and their families and friends squander the wealth of the whole masses and we still have to guts to bid on Commonwealth games!
When we put our house in order as it should be of a rich oil nation,I bet you Nigeria can host an Olympics! but till then Mr. Vice President with due respect,use your position and influence the direction of our nation in the next 4 years or so and you will be surprised of what Nigeria can attract in terms of not only hosting games but industrial boom!

9. Peter, The fly on Bendy Wendy's wall / 9:25am 10 Nov 2007
My brother in law works for Shell in Nigeria and to get to work he leaves the Shell compound in an armoured 4x4 with an armed driver and a bodyguard. The doors are locked before he leaves the compound and stay locked until he reaches the secure office compound. The 4x4 also has smoked armour glass.

His view of the Government of Nigeria is less than polite as he is well aware of the top skimming that goes on.

10. reddhot, spain / 9:48am 10 Nov 2007
Those who rule Nigeria should concentrate on uplifting the living standards of the general population instead of yearning after hosting of internatioal events.I am a Nigerian and I feel embarrased I think of our so-called oil rich nation.How can you dream of hosting the commonwealth games when majority of your citizens are hungry?.Nigeria should get its act together first and the world will be begging them to host even the olympic games.
I have to mention here that Lagos, the most "developed" city in Nigeria is one of the filthiest cities in the world.We cannot host international events on heaps of festering rubbish

11. Mikey / 10:19am 10 Nov 2007
I used to be in the Merchant Navy and once paid off in the Bonny river in Nigeria. In leaving Lagos, I was stopped by a customs man who removed my wallet from my pocket and took out all the money that was in it, while staring right into my eyes as if t say, 'just try and stop me.'

Fortunately, I had been warned beforehand and I only had $10 US in the wallet. Since then however, I wouldn't give tuppence to these corrupt b*st*rds!

12. Dougie - Edinburgh / 10:22am 10 Nov 2007
Apart from being extremely corrupt, Nigeria is just not safe enough to host this kind of sport. In some African countries, white people can walk around without bodyguards in daytime. In Nigeria however, they're likely to be robbed, murdered or kidnapped for ransom.

This is a country so corrupt and violent that the price of machetes halves after an election:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1273345,00.html

13. smoothjazz, Dubai, UAE / 10:57am 10 Nov 2007
The kind of stark ignorance exhibited in some comments above just gives one a peak into most peoples' warped logic! It's unbelievable!! What's with all hate talk about Nigeria?

Nigeria lost the bid to host he games so what? Is that the end of the world? Of course not.

However the kind of comments made by 5. Media 1, 6. I'm no really here and I'm sad to say 8. PeteBrown are at once naive and ludicrous.

Media one says ", Nigeria cannot offer that, and until she can, she must be excluded from hosting such events."

Is South Africa safer than Abuja, Nigeria? No! And let's not even talk about South Africa being able to offer safety to tourists. Don't even get me started.

Then 6. I'm no really here said, "A corrupt Government that gives vocal support to Mugabe." Are you kidding me? Did your country not just roll out the red carpet for King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia? You guys are the bane of the world's problems. You refuse to call a spade a spade ESPECIALLY when it does not favour you! When corrupt African rulers were siphoning their peoples' monies into British and European banks, you look(ed) the other way, use the money to develop your country, until such a time as your conscience begins to haunt you!

Talking about corruption, can you tell me why the UK's Serious Fraud Office decided last year to stop investigations into whether BAE gave money to Saudi officials in the 1980s? Even your then PM Tony Blair was actively involved in playing down the corruption scandal.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/11/09/europe/bae.php
And I'm shocked that my Cape Town friend even concurs with you. Last time I checked, Zimbabwe was just next door to you president Thabo Mbeki who has refused to see no wrong. Despite the fact the thousands of hapless Zimbabweans are refugees in South Africa,

8. PeteBrown wrote: "I am a Nigerian,but it baffles me why we should, as a nation,should be left in abject poverty while the very very few in power and their families and friends squander the wealth of the whole masses and we still have to guts to bid on Commonwealth games!"

In our local parlance we say: Ol'boy make you dey think before you talk". FYI, it took the UK hundreds of years to get to where they are today. A lot went down before you showed up - wars were fought, lives were lost. Don't even think for a moment that the liberties you enjoy today have ALWAYS been there. Nigeria is quite young compared to the UK.

Think of the economic impact of an event of this magnitude. The jobs it will create etc. Have you been home lately? Have u been to Abuja? I suggest you do so, then we can discuss further.

While I don't subscribe to corruption and the ways of corrupt government officials, I LOVE MY COUNTRY - just like any one of you love yours. PKeep the vitriol to yourself

14. Dougie - Edinburgh / 11:39am 10 Nov 2007 13.
smoothjazz, Dubai
You may love your country (you're Nigerian, right?) but is it or is it not too dangerous for tourists?

15. Media 1, cape town / 12:01pm 10 Nov 2007 Smoothjazz:

Had you ever read my posts you would note that I am against South Africa hosting the 2010 World Cup. SA may have an infrastructure some 200 times better than Nigeria, SA may have good roads, good western restaurants, good life styles, amazing beaches, wonderful tourist attractions and relative safety on a daily basis. But the fact remains that she is corrupt and unsafe for tourists travelling on their own.

Africa, like much of the middle east, needs to grow up and begin adopting a more appropriate mindset that enables the advancement of the people, as opposed to the opposite.

16. JOHN JIBOGU, RE: COMMONWEALTH GAMES / 12:09pm 10 Nov 2007
It is a great disservice for Africa and Nigeria for loosing the bid to host the next Commonwealth Games .

Its high time the games revolves round the commonwealth regions otherwise we would have simply defeated the purpose of the formation of the organisation.

We all understand the politics involved.

God Bless Nigeria

JOHN JIBOGU.

17. JOHN JIBOGU, RE: COMMONWEALTH GAMES / 12:15pm 10 Nov 2007
A reflection on the above comments can anyone tell me which country is safe, or which country is not corrupt and who keeps all the money taking from the continent of Africa.

So watch what you say.

JJ.

18. phronesis, lagos / 12:19pm 10 Nov 2007
Like every other nation on the face of the earth, Nigeria is not without its peculiar problems. As a Nigerian, I can live with that. What I consider bizarre and unacceptable is the conversion of a simple piece of harmless information as a spring board for such acerbic and morbid remarks about Nigeria. There does exist a plethora of good in Nigeria. And, on the issue of corruption, have you taken a close look at our political landsacape lately? Certainly, you must have observed the positive developments. Nigeria is a happy place to be in and Nigerians generally are happy and warm people. Crime is an international challenge and Nigeria has its fair share. Could is possibly be that perhaps there may be more to this vitriol than the simple fact that the Nigerian delegation accused of being passionate about their country but lacking in organization (by the article) were crestfallen over the loss of their bid?

19. smoothjazz, Dubai, UAE / 12:43pm 10 Nov 2007 15.
Media 1, I think you're missing something here.

First off, equating the Middle East with Africa is a misnomer.

All I am saying is that Africa needs these kinds of events to inject the much needed growth necessary for it to become self-sustaining, like Scotland. We don't need aid we need trade.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't have any qualms about Scotland winning the right to host the Games. But people should be more aware of the whys, hows and wheretofores of Nigeria and indeed Africa, and consequently make informed statements.

Rome was not built in a day. So was Scotland, And so is Nigeria and South Africa. But we need events like these to get there.
14. Dougie - Edinburgh, Nigeria is safe for tourists. Just as you wouldn't be careless in the UK you ought not be careless anywhere else. Criminal activity is a global phenomenon. Your argument is fundametally flawed. Just because my cousin was mugged on the streets of London does not mean that the whole of the UK is dangerous for tourists! That's pure hasty generalisation. If that were the case I'm not so sure Scotland would have won the rights to host the games given it's record in hooliganism as can be seen in the link below.

http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=,

20. Brick V. Tamland II, Riding a furry tractor. / 1:34pm 10 Nov 2007 #16 John Jibogu.

Can you tell us why you think that only 24 out of 71 Commonwealth countries voted for Nigeria?

For the record I firmly believe that the time for the African continent to regularly host global games is long overdue. S.A. has a head start on the rest of the continent, why is that?

21. Brick V. Tamland II, Riding a furry tractor. / 1:39pm 10 Nov 2007
#19 Smoothjazz, interesting if erroneous article from Expatnews via El Pais.

"But Barcelona's chief of police told Rangers that, despite a couple of minor incidents, he was satisfied with the conduct of the Glasgow club's supporters."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/

22. Dougie - Edinburgh / 1:50pm 10 Nov 2007 17.
JOHN JIBOGU
From a country where defrauding foreigners is the second biggest exchange earner after the (overwhelmingly Western run) oil industry, it’s quite some cheek for a Nigerian to suggest the rest of the world is sucking money out of Africa.

23. Dougie - Edinburgh / 1:53pm 10 Nov 2007
18. phronesis, lagos

“Crime is an international challenge and Nigeria has its fair share”? I think as the most corrupt country in the world
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4497915.stm
that’s something of an understatement.

For a single country to be responsible for most of the entire world’s cheque fraud, it’s fair to say Nigeria has a lot more than its fair share!
http://www.quatloos.com/usab419.pdf

24. Dougie - Edinburgh / 1:53pm 10 Nov 2007
19. smoothjazz, Dubai

It's just untrue that Nigeria is safe for tourists. You may or may not consider it safe for Nigerians but as for white people, nowhere is safe other than the well-guarded oil company compounds. Even entering through an airport I can expect to be robbed by immigration officials or at least held up for hours as a way of eliciting a bribe.

Whenever oil industry workers are out of the compound, they move with armed guards in armoured vehicles. Comparing that to low level violence between football supporters in Scotland is pretty silly.

It's ironic that you mention that your cousin got robbed in London because in London, since most robberies are perpetrated by Africans or people of African descent (also true of the USA).

London: 59% of knife robberies by blacks
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article153

25. truthsleuth, South of the Border / 1:54pm 10 Nov 2007
#9. Peter,

Is the armoured car to protect from other speeding motorists

26. truthsleuth, South of the Border / 1:56pm 10 Nov 2007
One of the reasons for Nigerias 'poverty' is a rising population it cannot support.

However after 2014 the population of Nigeria will fall due to the number of athletes applying for asylum in Scotland.

27. Maurice the Dolphin, Sick of the political nitwits. / 1:59pm 10 Nov 2007
Note that the only congratulatory postings are by those people of Nigerian nationality who seem to have their heads screwed on the right way.

On the other hand the story boards seem to be full of the Scottish political nitwits who have turned news of a sporting event into the usual political pish

28. smoothjazz, Dubai, UAE / 2:51pm 10 Nov 2007

24. Dougie - Edinburgh, I know your ilk. I will oblige you a response just this once.

You said: "It's just untrue that Nigeria is safe for tourists. You may or may not consider it safe for Nigerians but as for white people, nowhere is safe other than the well-guarded oil company compounds. Even entering through an airport I can expect to be robbed by immigration officials or at least held up for hours as a way of eliciting a bribe."

I reply: Both the giver and the taker of a bribe are criminals. Is that hard to see? Nigerian as a people do not condone bribery.

You said: "Whenever oil industry workers are out of the compound, they move with armed guards in armoured vehicles. Comparing that to low level violence between football supporters in Scotland is pretty silly. "

I reply: What is sillier than quantifying or rationalising crime? A crime is a crime is crime. Where it happens is irrelevant.

It's ironic that you mention that your cousin got robbed in London because in London, since most robberies are perpetrated by Africans or people of African descent (also true of the USA).
London: 59% of knife robberies by blacks

I reply: I am going to restrain myself and refuse to go that low with you - and you had better be grateful for that. I will not be dragged into an argument with a racist.

Finally, if you don't have any decent, rational argument to make please keep stay away from that keyboard.

You said to JJ on POST 22
"From a country where defrauding foreigners is the second biggest exchange earner after the (overwhelmingly Western run) oil industry, it’s quite some cheek for a Nigerian to suggest the rest of the world is sucking money out of Africa."

My response: You are either ignorant or being mischievous or both!

29. Comment Removed This comment has been removed by a moderator.

30. Jock Tamson, Scotland, Caledonia, Alba / 6:28pm 10 Nov 2007
Let's get real here. Been to Nigeria and been to Glasgow. If anywhere requires the regeneration it is Nigeria.

Civic corruption, bad housing and crime? Pot and kettle.

Gulf between the rich and poor ditto. Beggars in the streets? Ditto. Oil money, ditto. Imperial dog, ditto.

The list is endless and Nigeria is also a dear green place.

31. Media 1, cape town / 7:40pm 10 Nov 2007 Smoothjazz

Youre right, Africa does need big events. But she can't just be given them due to her position. If that was to happen, then nations who were more successful and deserving would need to suffer. That cannot happen, not ever.

What I am saying, is that Africa can have the games, but she needs to earn them. And she can if she gets her act together.

32. oder, Scotland / 8:11pm 10 Nov 2007 30. Jock Tamson, Scotland, Caledonia, Alba

So whats the problem? one of Africa`s richest states and the highest population in Africa! who but Africa can sort Africa? Africa will get their turn when they are ready, and can instill the confidence that is needed to collect the votes! in the meantine I look
forward to see Nigerian sportsmen/women in the games as I did when watching them play inthe world cup a few years back.

33. Danielrober2, In London for work / 9:43pm 10 Nov 2007 # 28 smoothjazz, Dubai, UAE

A competition is not worth winning unless your competing with a great competitor. Nigeria have the largest population in Africa, the third largest film industry in the world, huge resources and huge challenges. I have no doubt that with the exception of Egypt, Nigeria will be the economic driver of Africa.

Just keep trying, go for the Commonwealth games in 2018 and why not try the Olympic games as well. Competition, is healthy.

Good luck Nigeria 2018

34. Jock Tamson, Scotland, Caledonia, Alba / 10:21pm 10 Nov 2007 32, oder.
What do you mean by "So what's the problem?"?

35. Jock Tamson, Scotland, Caledonia, Alba / 10:27pm 10 Nov 2007 32, oder.
Let's face it, Glasgow has been telling us how much it needs the regeneration dosh (like we've never heard that one before). Then it tells the Commonwealth what a great place it is (like we've never heard that one before).

Glasgow is second to none with the begging bowl - which is unique as the place is second to all in everything else.

36. Abid, Boston, Massachusetts / 11:39pm 10 Nov 2007
Hi. I am Nigerian (from Lagos) and I find Smoothjazz's comments representative of Nigerian blather as a whole. No substance and no insight. The stark fact is that the country is dirt-poor, corrupt, incompetent, and backward, and the problem is a lack of insight--again, symptomatic of the Nigerian mentality. Not only was the bid one of the shabbiest I've come across, it was premised on "affirmative action", if you will. It was not premised on being competitive, or providing any evidence for Abuja's superiority. Frankly, there was no evidence to show. Its ironic that my friend smoothjazz is writing from the UAE, where he is (my educated guess) probably an economic emigre. There's a reason for that.

37. oder, Scotland / 12:46am 11 Nov 2007 30. Jock Tamson,
you said

Let's get real here. Been to Nigeria and been to Glasgow. If anywhere requires the regeneration it is Nigeria.

I said

So what's the problem? ( they were not awarded the games.)

35. Jock Tamson,

They are not ready for it, thats what the vote shows
regeneration is not in itself a acceptable reason to be awarded the games! Nigeria has far more wealth that Scotland! and I doubt that Glasgow was awarded it becase it needs regeneration! if it were that simple we can keep the games in Africa permanently.
Maybe the voting countries should be allowed to state their reasons why Glasgow was chosen so that future candidate cities are aware of the requirements to stage the games.

38. GalacticCannibal, Murrieta, CA , vote Hillary Clinton for Pres. US / 4:25am 11 Nov 2007
The Commonwealth Games are not World Class,
But the corrupt OLYMPIC Games are world class.

And Scots whisky is a legal destructive drug that causes tens thousands of premature deaths and irreversible harm to its addicted users.

GC

39. jim jones, guyana / 11:14am 11 Nov 2007
3 times in 44 years for a nation of 6 million within the united kingdom that will have hosted 4 times in 44 years and twice within the new millenium for hosting in the UK. Nigeria rejected Twice in that 44 year time period.
Glasgow had a better communicated bid doesnt mean the bid was better facilities wise but a bid none the less has to be communicated. The number tells the story communication breeds confidence and clearly African Nations voted against hosting in Nigeria.
Lack of Communication brought down the Halifax bid with the local public.

Abuja should do what Scotland did after they lost the Euro 2008 . Move onto better things like the 2014 youth olympics bid. Win that and they have something way more valued then the Commonwealth games which some twit from Guernsey can actually say how great it is that his athletes will get to stay in a sespool like Great Britian LOL
Gee Guernsey is that one of those tax shelter islands or is that jersey. Talk about corruption in Nigeria in your own back yards with places like that.

I love that glasgow gets the games and will indeed choke on them because history has shown them to be a burden more then a prize.

40. wattie>x 1 / 2:34pm 11 Nov 2007 jim jones?

Black or white face, with a good auld British name?

Have a couple off haufs and get your heid doon!

41. oder, scotland / 7:03pm 11 Nov 2007 39. jim jones, guyana

"I love that glasgow gets the games and will indeed choke on them because history has shown them to be a burden more then a prize."

Then Glasgows done them a favour eh! just think of all that extra cash the generals will have to spend on their people! what nice people they have in Glasgow unlike you, you seem to have a nasty streak about you

42. oder, scotland / 7:32pm 11 Nov 2007 jim jones, guyana

Why do you use the name of the cult leader jim jones who organised the mass suicide in Jonestown
in 1978? you should look in your on backyard before you start on Britain being a sespool!

43. jim jones, guyana / 10:16pm 11 Nov 2007 well the stabbing of fenians i three paces it the event i look forward too with the Stolenwealth games.
jim jones is my alias inspired to the man with the poisoned fruit drink .

drink up glasgow

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1784832007
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Kobojunkie: 1:53am On Nov 12, 2007
I do not blame them for the comments they make. So far, in Nigeria, we really are not getting the message at all. The world has already seen it all and they know that things are not right. Plastering a couple of cities and roads to impress the world is not going to work at all. From the majority of the posts on there, these people seem to know of all those and still see right through to the many problems we are trying to mask. I do agree with the many posts that we need to focus first on getting things right in the country before we try to get things right in the eyes of the world. I particularly love the comments advising  we focus more on feeding our people first before we go off spending lofty amounts on such games.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Afam(m): 2:16am On Nov 12, 2007
Football politics, pure and simple.

Is the level of crime in Nigeria higher than what you have in SA?

The ability to host a tournament is based on facilities and enough money to foot the bill.

Every country has its own peculiar problem and so anyone thinking that they chose Scotland over Nigeria because they were being sympathetic about the plight of poor Nigerians is only being sentimental and wrong at the same time.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Nobody: 2:21am On Nov 12, 2007
Why are we blaming them for speaking the truth? What have they said that we never experienced? Is Nigeria safe for citizens before we even start talking of tourists?

What is the point in hosting the commonwealth games when more than half of the population wont be able to watch it since NEPA is barely generating enough power to light the stadiums?

Why is Goodluck Jonathan crying? The Niger Delta is burning, people are being kidnapped everyday, children are hungry and cannot afford to attend school and he is more interested in hosting the games?
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Nobody: 2:23am On Nov 12, 2007
It is time we stopped assuming that it must be Africa's turn one day to host anything. It is time we started showing that we are capable of hosting events rather than being pitied and handed hosting rights on the basis of "Africa has never hosted it before".
Until we get our acts together we must not be allowed to host anything again . . . it is simply an avenue for a few sycophants to award bogus contracts, collect estacodes and sell games villages to themselves again.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Kobojunkie: 2:27am On Nov 12, 2007
davidylan:

It is time we stopped assuming that it must be Africa's turn one day to host anything. It is time we started showing that we are capable of hosting events rather than being pitied and handed hosting rights on the basis of "Africa has never hosted it before".
Until we get our acts together we must not be allowed to host anything again . . . it is simply an avenue for a few sycophants to award bogus contracts, collect estacodes and sell games villages to themselves again.

YEP!!!
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by McKren(m): 2:02pm On Nov 12, 2007
How wrong are those comments

There is obviously pure politics involved and the west will prefer Africa never growed but

How wrong are they, Even the biologist who made the comment about black people, How wrong was he??

We are simply giving them a tool to attack us. We have to put our country right and know that the world is more serious than we take it.

Besides that, the fact that Gen Gowon even led the delegation reminds the delegates that our country was yet to break free from Kleptomaniacs. On what grounds was he made leader of that delegation, what is his countribution to humanity or his role in the sorry state called Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by grafikdon: 2:28pm On Nov 12, 2007
Well said. WE SHOULD NOT BE allowed to host anything until we clean our house.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by monkeyleg: 3:56pm On Nov 12, 2007
The comments are extremely fair, and in most cases well deserved by us. We still do not get it in our country. What is the point og Nigeria hosting such games @ this time in her history. I personally see this as an Insult to Nigerians, again another attempt and ploy to create avenue to chop the peoples money.

Goodluck should shut his face and go and concentrate on fixing the country. I really do not understand the kind of idiots that rule us.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by chidichris(m): 6:25pm On Nov 12, 2007
the truth is always bitter but no matter how bitter it seems, it remains the only way out.
scam in most cases are not restricted to yahoo boys but look at a country where everbody is a scam artist starting from the president to the last ctizen.
if the truth must be told, yar adua and goodluck are fraudulent and they came to power through fraudulent means.
david mark (senate president) has a case at hand (fraud) etteh( a woman fraudstar).
go back to the history lane and tell me in the past 30 years which president is bettr.
a country a professor like iwu is a scam artist.
pls nigeria shld look at her domestic problems and stop the eye services which is costing more harm than good.
the westerners are quit aware of the situation at home so no need for this game.
let them take the game and even ban nigeria from such games until they restore light and security among other things.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Iman3(m): 6:35pm On Nov 12, 2007
Home truths hurt,whether those truths concern our person or our nation,as long as its delivered by someone else.

We are not prepared to host tourneys like the Commonwealth games.This gross misplacement of priorities must stop.I heard we spent about $300 million on the All Africa Games,think of what that amount could deliver in infrastructural development.

The bid itself is a waste of money partly because our chances of winning are puny and because they offer an opportunity for unscrupulous politicians to enrich themselves.Was there a better symbolism of Nigeria's dysfunctional state than Gen. Gowon's role as leader of our delegation
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by dafman(m): 7:23pm On Nov 12, 2007
It sure hurts when foreigners say these things about Nigeria. We have people in government who pursue external glorifcation with zest more than attending to the crucial issues of nation building and alleviating the suffering of the masses. They can spend millions campaigning for the rights to host the games and even billions to host the actual games just to prove that Nigeria has arrived, but when it comes to basic things like "Lagos-Ibadan express road", electricity, water etc, they will set a 20 year plan.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 12, 2007
dafman:

It sure hurts when foreigners say these things about Nigeria. We have people in government who pursue external glorifcation with zest more than attending to the crucial issues of nation building and alleviating the suffering of the masses. They can spend millions campaigning for the rights to host the games and even billions to host the actual games just to prove that Nigeria has arrived, but when it comes to basic things like "Lagos-Ibadan express road", electricity, water etc, they will set a 20 year plan.

. . . that will remain in the pipeline for another 20 yrs until another government comes in promising to continue with "painful reforms" and set another 20yrs target and the merry-go-round continues.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Crownvilla(m): 10:15pm On Nov 12, 2007
For crying out loud, please name, one village, city or town in Nigeria where you have 24/7 pipeborne water suppy to every home.

According to an EFCC spokesperson, Jonathan Goodluck's wife was arrested at one or our aiproprts with $13m which was confiscated. This happened when Goodluck was the governor of Bayelsa. After his elavation to VP, Goodluck only declared his assets after extreme pressure from the press and opposition parties. Even then, militants in the Niger Delta have vowed to expose the asset declaration as false whenever he ceases to be VP.

Yakubu Gowon sat tight for 9 years and couldn't implement his own 'no victor, no vanquished' policy after the civil war. At the time he was deposed (in 1975), 10 of his 12 governors were found to be corrupt. Over 30yrs later; not one of them has protested their 'innocence' in the press. Yakubu Gowon was the template/role model for IBB, promising to hand over to civilian rule in 1976, then declaring in 1974 that the 1976 date is 'unrealistic'.

Lets look in the mirror and be honest with ourselves. We don't deserve the games and don't really need it.

What we need is good, accountable governance and the provision of the basic things in life such as water (For heavens sake, this is 2007!!!!!!), electricty, well equiped/competently staffed hospitals and a secure environment.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by denex: 6:12am On Nov 13, 2007
Those people wey never commot themselves from British Iperialism after more than one thousand years still get mouth to talk abi? make dem never begin plan how the future generations of their descendants will gain freedom from England.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by chidichris(m): 11:46am On Nov 13, 2007
Denex,
if scotland is still slave to britain and nigeria is free, then i must inform you here that i preffer slavery to freedom.
if as a slave, u have freedom in all areas of life, you have security, basic things of life and justice for all then why fighting to be free. if u are going to be free then from who and for what?
nigeria is a sad news and the truth of the matter is benin republic is more qualified to host any international tournament than nigeria.
have u asked urself, how many of our cities are accessable by roads or are u going to risk people's lives flying our local flights. do u think most people especially the westerners know what black out is most importantly when they are part of life. i don't know how old u are but 1999 world cup shld have been used against nigeria for any bidding attempt.
well if the westerners try anything funny by giving nigeria the chance, i will then go back to look for oyibo to kidnap so that i will get big money to release the oyibo. this is to inform u that kidnappers will smile if the white say they are coming to nig for games.
we surposed to be fined by the organisers for bidding when we do not have electricity.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Afam(m): 11:55am On Nov 13, 2007
chidichris:

Denex,
if scotland is still slave to britain and nigeria is free, then i must inform you here that i preffer slavery to freedom.

It is not about what you prefer, you are already one only that you don't realize it.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by texazzpete(m): 12:41pm On Nov 13, 2007
In 2003 ASUU went on strike. They made demands for improvement of infrastructure of Nigerian universities and well-being of lecturers. They made it plain that to avert cataclysmic failure in the academic system, an estimated 2billion naira should be voted in to address critical issues.
I was in my final year then, just about to graduate. OBJ kept us at home for almost 6 months, turning a deaf ear to ASUU's demands and further undermining Nigerian education. Just N2bn.

During that time, Nigeria hosted the Commonwealth Head of Government Meeting (CHOGM). The meeting cost Nigeria N25bn for a brief meeting that was spent in endless squabble whether to sanction Mugabe or not. The outcome? No resonable gains that we can see. Abuja fat cats sold the official vehicles purchased for the occassion to themselves at give-away prices, and thus 25bn naira was spent.

So we hosted an inconsequential meeting for 25bn, 12 times what the major stakeholders in our tertiary educational system asked for, yet were denied. And now we're coming full-circle, with people trying to get us to host yet another jamboree that has the potential to expose nigeria to ridicule.

This is why Nigeria and Nigerian saddens me. Misplaced priorities. . .
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by mrpataki(m): 12:54pm On Nov 13, 2007
2003! I remeber that strike! Nigerians, we never learn.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by grafikdon: 2:38pm On Nov 13, 2007
Thank God the hosting right went to Scotland!
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Iman3(m): 2:55pm On Nov 13, 2007
denex:

Those people wey never commot themselves from British Iperialism after more than one thousand years still get mouth to talk abi? make them never begin plan how the future generations of their descendants will gain freedom from England.

Wey this one comot from?How can the Scots "gain freedom from British imperialism" when Scotland is part of what makes up Britain. . . .the Prime Minister of Britain is from Scotland.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Kobojunkie: 3:32pm On Nov 13, 2007
I-man:

Wey this one comot from?How can the Scots "gain freedom from British imperialism" when Scotland is part of what makes up Britain. . . .the Prime Minister of Britain is from Scotland.

I was beginning to wonder how Scotland was slave to Britain when it is part of the UNITED KINGDOM,
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Afam(m): 3:44pm On Nov 13, 2007
It is very obvious that some of us here don't even have any clue about the bitter history and politics that cover England, Great Britain & United Kingdom. What a shame.

Maybe they have not searched for it on wikipedia. The world is really full of people that do not think well.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Kobojunkie: 3:47pm On Nov 13, 2007
This has nothing to do with their history at this point. Right now,  it is not Republic of Scotland UNDER ENGLAND,  it is UNITED KINGDOM with SCOTLAND AS A MEMBER,  that is not SLAVERY ,  and can not be termed SLAVERY in anywise,  NO twisting of reality will make it so

This is almost as ridiculous as claiming because Canada and Australia remain among the remnants of the british empire means those countries are in slavery. You do not see  them crying for freedom do you ?? Why do you want to make the claim for them when they are not making it themselves??

Another situation where we have Nigerians claiming to know what is better for the man who is not complaining
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by otele(m): 4:37pm On Nov 13, 2007
when will it be africa's turn to host good roads, steady power supply, steady water supply, security, transparent free and fair elections, credible govt, steady legislature, uninterrupted education, efficient healthcare system, eradication alleviation of poverty, low unemployment levels, massive industrialisation, etc etc etc

whenever we host these things, we now start elongating the list of things we could host to include. . . . .science conference, surgical conference, industrial agricultural conferences. . . . . etc

when we host these we may now include standard stadium for our local league and other sports facilities, then common wealth games et al.

afam,
the british history is full of violence and the bitterness may still be existing today, but the labour govt of tony blair and now gordon brown has been accused by conservative english men to divert so much funds to northern wales and scotland. the explanation by the govt is that it was necessary for the UK to advance as a unit and not one part advance while others lag behind. with a scottish prime minister i wonder how you could call scotland slaves to the british undecided

also, the scottish economy at the moment is doing better than the english economy(minus london. . . .which is very multicultural anyway)

haba mallam afam embarassed
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 13, 2007
otele:

afam,
the british history is full of violence and the bitterness may still be existing today, but the labour govt of tony blair and now gordon brown has been accused by conservative english men to divert so much funds to northern wales and scotland. the explanation by the govt is that it was necessary for the UK to advance as a unit and not one part advance while others lag behind. with a scottish prime minister i wonder how you could call scotland slaves to the british undecided

also, the scottish economy at the moment is doing better than the english economy(minus london. . . .which is very multicultural anyway)

haba mallam afam embarassed

Oga i don tire for alfa afam.
Re: Nigeria Ridiculed By Scotland by angel101(f): 7:55pm On Nov 13, 2007
chidichris:

Denex,
if as a slave, u have freedom in all areas of life, you have security, basic things of life and justice for all then why fighting to be free. if u are going to be free then from who and for what?
nigeria is a sad news and the truth of the matter is benin republic is more qualified to host any international tournament than nigeria.
have u asked yourself, how many of our cities are accessable by roads or are u going to risk people's lives flying our local flights. do u think most people especially the westerners know what black out is most importantly when they are part of life. i don't know how old u are but 1999 world cup shld have been used against nigeria for any bidding attempt.
well if the westerners try anything funny by giving nigeria the chance, i will then go back to look for oyibo to kidnap so that i will get big money to release the oyibo. this is to inform u that kidnappers will smile if the white say they are coming to Nigeria for games.
we surposed to be fined by the organisers for bidding when we do not have electricity.

This is where the talk of slavery started. It wasnt Afam

(1)

Pastor Adeboye Humiliated Over 419 / We’ll Pull Out Of Adada State Struggle If : –greater Awgu Warns / Ibori’s Sister, Christine Ibie Ibori Ordered To Refund £.829 Million In 6 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.