Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,767 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Former ANPP Chieftain Oyegun, Joins ACN - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Former ANPP Chieftain Oyegun, Joins ACN (4248 Views)

Buhari, Others Approve CPC Merger With ACN, ANPP / PDP, ANPP, Slam Okorocha For Closing Schools, Markets For Birthday / How My Husband Was Killed - Widow Of Slain ANPP Chieftain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Former ANPP Chieftain Oyegun, Joins ACN by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:48am On May 03, 2012
Gbawe:

I don't think you know John Oyegun at all and this is why you say what you do. Please look into the man's history. He was Governor for only a year (1992-1993) before the military took power by force. He then bravely inaugurated NADECO with others to fight military rule. There should always be a place in political Parties for those committed to democracy as he is. If the likes of Anenih, Tukur and IBB are active today then certainly I believe Oyegun has far more to give than those sort. For those who know their history, it is clear he deserves respect as well and not this blanket condemnation we have for all politicians especially those above 60.

RESPECT is mostly all he deserves and rightly so. One cannot fault a man who has a good history behind him. obviously if he has done well his contributions will be felt today. (positive and negative) My only grouse with "Aging and Aged" Politicians is what they can offer Today to better improve the collective Future of Nigerians. Is there a shred of unique experience that our Grand-father Politicians can bring to the fore to help tidy up the mess their brethren created after them
Re: Former ANPP Chieftain Oyegun, Joins ACN by Gbawe: 11:48am On May 03, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

RESPECT is mostly all he deserves and rightly so. One cannot fault a man who has a good history behind him. obviously if he has done well his contributions will be felt today. (positive and negative) My only grouse with "Aging and Aged" Politicians is what they can offer Today to better improve the collective Future of Nigerians. Is there a shred of unique experience that our Grand-father Politicians can bring to the fore to help tidy up the mess their brethren created after them

My brother, even as we Nigerians are now the ones most fond of thinking the worst of our Nation, I think we can all agree that there are still good people from the past around today who played their part positively in the attempt to move Nigeria forward. It is uncouth, ungracious and intellectually lazy to therefore malign every old Politician ignorantly. The lynch mob mentality should be rejected.

As per your question, I am personally fond of "aging and aged" Africans because they can be a repository of knowledge for the young up and coming Africans who are not too brash, too ignorant or too judgemental to think they know it all. Of course Oyegun has "unique experience" to add. History tells us this. Look at Kufour of Ghana aged 73. He continues to mentor the political development of his Country. What is wrong with that and why can't Oyegun deploy his "unique experience" and talent similarly? You saw how he praised the young and dynamic individuals who are currently ACN Governor while others of Oyegun's age (like IBB, Ciroma et al) are too busy insinuating that young men must not lead Nigeria.

“With young, dynamic and forthright people, some of who have become governors, I’m beginning to see a core of people who are going to shape the new reality in the country.

Even if Oyegun wants to run for office, so what? Is there any legal provision barring him from doing so? Is there anything in his history anyone can use to disqualify him from doing so or is this just a case of how Nigerians are now a bitter people to the extent we are comfortable automatically and unfairly assuming that all old politicians participated in "ruining" Nigeria ?
Re: Former ANPP Chieftain Oyegun, Joins ACN by PhysicsQED(m): 1:32pm On May 03, 2012
Gbawe:

I don't think you know John Oyegun at all and this is why you say what you do. Please look into the man's history. He was Governor for only a year (1992-1993) before the military took power by force. He then bravely inaugurated NADECO with others to fight military rule. There should always be a place in political Parties for those committed to democracy as he is. If the likes of Anenih, Tukur and IBB are active today then certainly I believe Oyegun has far more to give than those sort. For those who know their history, it is clear he deserves respect as well and not this blanket condemnation we have for all politicians especially those above 60.

My statement still stands. I don't see what the man achieved outside of politics and I don't see what he achieved in politics, NADECO included. The man's time is past. And of course Anenih, Tukur and IBB should no longer be on the scene either.
Re: Former ANPP Chieftain Oyegun, Joins ACN by Cholls(m): 10:52pm On Apr 09, 2022
My brothers and sisters BAT and Buhari will never forget this man

(1) (2) (Reply)

ARROGANT Display Of Wealth.(pic) / Today Is Passing Out Parade Of Recruits At Depot Barracks Zaria(pix) / Muslims Are Not Happy - Jeff Foxworthy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.