Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,591 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

The Stand Of Women In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Stand Of Women In The Bible (8322 Views)

Poll: does d Bible degrade or put down women?

yes: 74% (20 votes)
no: 22% (6 votes)
it is not clear: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Lightning Kills Women In Church In Imo (photo) / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / The True Stand Of The Bible On Abortion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 8:26pm On May 03, 2012
hello nairalanders? how does the Bible view women? do churches misinterprete wat d Bible says? i would like us to discuss. no bashing please. have a splendid time!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 04, 2012
bukatyne: hello nairalanders? how does the Bible view women? do churches misinterprete wat d Bible says? i would like us to discuss. no bashing please. have a splendid time!
women were subordinates and some nowaday churches misinterpretes that.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 6:37pm On May 04, 2012
'women re subordinates' as in?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Ptolomeus(m): 8:32pm On May 04, 2012
Role of women in the Bible?
That role?
Anoint Jesus' feet with oil? Wash, Dry them with her hair?
Domestic cats.
Delilah cutting Samson's hair?
Poisonous snake ...
Not good ...
Even Mary has a passive role in the death of Jesus ...

Well, the Koran does not change much this story ...
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Callotti: 8:45pm On May 04, 2012
Voted YES!
The reason I can NEVER accept such a BRAIN-WASHING offensive medium of reetarded piece of so-called inspired HORRRRRSE-shyte! cool

If any woman had a loving EARTHLY father like mine. . . she would never bother to look for a spiritual one.

A man would be the last thing on her mind. BETA MEN WOULD ALWAYS PURSUE HER HOTLY TOO(not riff raffs on or off the cyber airways). . . EVEN AS SHE STAYS HAPPILY MARRIED. cool
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by buzugee(m): 8:48pm On May 04, 2012
lets just say if you are a woman used to sleeping with different men, you should be prepared to meet your demise at the hands of 1000 stones hurled at you by well muscled men grin grin grin grin
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by JeSoul(f): 8:52pm On May 04, 2012
^and you would've been one of them abi? cheesy

@topic, the best answer is "complicated". When reading about women in the bible their roles, functions, impact is mired in a tricky context of the culture at the time and our interpretation today. One thing you can look at is how Jesus Himself treated women - look at His example and take it from there. He broke the rules when it came to women and expected that future generations would continue what he started - not try to enslave women all over again within 'rules' and 'regulations'.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by buzugee(m): 8:57pm On May 04, 2012
JeSoul: ^and you would've been one of them abi? cheesy

@topic, the best answer is "complicated". When reading about women in the bible their roles, functions, impact is mired in a tricky context of the culture at the time and our interpretation today. One thing you can look at is how Jesus Himself treated women - look at His example and take it from there. He broke the rules when it came to women and expected that future generations would continue what he started - not try to enslave women all over again within 'rules' and 'regulations'.

Cheers.
OH THE HORROR OF IT ALL shocked i shall have you know that i shall and will not participate in such a horrific endeavor. however when the kingdom of heaven is established on earth, if i am commissioned to stone a damsel by the elders of the town, i am afraid i will have no choice but to grab a nice juicy igneous rock and commit to hauling cry either that or moses will chop my head of with his sword for being a sissy
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by JeSoul(f): 9:04pm On May 04, 2012
buzugee: OH THE HORROR OF IT ALL shocked i shall have you know that i shall and will not participate in such a horrific endeavor. however when the kingdom of heaven is established on earth, if i am commissioned to stone a damsel by the elders of the town, i am afraid i will have no choice but to grab a nice juicy igneous rock and commit to hauling cry either that or moses will chop my head of with his sword for being a sissy
I'm confused .... isn't the new kingdom supposed to be free of sin & sinners? why would anyone need to be stoned in paradise? smiley
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Ptolomeus(m): 9:17pm On May 04, 2012
JeSoul: ^and you would've been one of them abi? cheesy

Cheers.
I'm confused.
Some things we should interpret the Bible by understanding the context and adapted to our time.
But other ... Jesus drank wine, but some fans say that drinking is a sin!
Certainly Jesus had sex, but some fools seek prostate cancer remained virgins ....
What a contradiction!

With regard to stoning ... They say here that traditional religion was wild? The stoning and castration of women are examples of evolution and civilization then?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by buzugee(m): 9:19pm On May 04, 2012
JeSoul: I'm confused .... isn't the new kingdom supposed to be free of sin & sinners? why would anyone need to be stoned in paradise? smiley
Paradise preached in church is not the paradise the bible speaks of. the real paradise, not the church fairy-tale paradise, would not be much different from what you will obtain in a civilized (and i aint talking about america neither )country. paradise simply means there will be order, fairness, righteous rulership and everything goes back to being an organic environment. no pollution or capitalism or pain or poverty or suffering. this kingdom will be ruled from jerusalem by christ himself, and his sealed men will be like the ambassadors who will control the rest of the world, in righteousness. however within this setup you still have freewill and some people will still try to sin. however it says the lord and his sealed men will rule the nations with a rod of iron. REVELATION 2 VS 27 AND HE SHALL RULE THEM WITH A ROD OF IRON, AS THE VESSELS OF THE POTTER ARE BROKEN TO PIECES, as I also have received authority from My Father; so basically you have everything you need in life, and no poverty and orderliness, if you still flout the law under this setup you will be smashed on with a rod of iron ( meaning you will be severly dealt with ). The point here is there is no magical mystical mythological transformation that happens to the world when christ returns. all that happens is that orderliness and righteousness will be established. hell ( suffering ) is cast into the lake of fire. meaning no more poverty or hopelessness and homelessness. capitalism will be eradicated and everyone will recieve enough to live very good but not above and beyond ( like oprah and warren buffett ). same world under righteous rulership ( thats all heaven is )
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by JeSoul(f): 9:31pm On May 04, 2012
buzugee: Paradise preached in church is not the paradise the bible speaks of. the real paradise, not the church fairy-tale paradise, would not be much different from what you will obtain in a civilized (and i aint talking about america neither )country. paradise simply means there will be order, fairness, righteous rulership and everything goes back to being an organic environment. no pollution or capitalism or pain or poverty or suffering. this kingdom will be ruled from jerusalem by christ himself, and his sealed men will be like the ambassadors who will control the rest of the world, in righteousness. however within this setup you still have freewill and some people will still try to sin. however it says the lord and his sealed men will rule the nations with a rod of iron. REVELATION 2 VS 27 AND HE SHALL RULE THEM WITH A ROD OF IRON, AS THE VESSELS OF THE POTTER ARE BROKEN TO PIECES, as I also have received authority from My Father; so basically you have everything you need in life, and no poverty and orderliness, if you still flout the law under this setup you will be smashed on with a rod of iron ( meaning you will be severly dealt with ). The point here is there is no magical mystical mythological transformation that happens to the world when christ returns. all that happens is that orderliness and righteousness will be established. hell ( suffering ) is cast into the lake of fire. meaning no more poverty or hopelessness and homelessness. capitalism will be eradicated and everyone will recieve enough to live very good but not above and beyond ( like oprah and warren buffett ). same world under righteous rulership ( thats all heaven is )
Interesting take as usual. Can you post the scriptural reference for that? (I'm getting used to enjoying seeing the verses you use to support your beliefs, very interesting stuff).
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by JeSoul(f): 9:35pm On May 04, 2012
Ptolomeus:
I'm confused.
Some things we should interpret the Bible by understanding the context and adapted to our time.
But other ... Jesus drank wine, but some fans say that drinking is a sin!
Exactly my point. You will have a plethora of interpretations of various scriptures because we're looking back trying to make sense of a complicated document. People who say Jesus didn't drink wine say so on the basis the word 'wine' was mistranslated from the original text. This among many many other issues that christians and even biblical scholars frequently disagree on.

Certainly Jesus had sex, but some fools seek prostate cancer remained virgins ....
What a contradiction!
Huh?? How do you know this? were you there Ptolomeus?

With regard to stoning ... They say here that traditional religion was wild? The stoning and castration of women are examples of evolution and civilization then?
Believe you me, there is plenty in the ancient jewish culture that I personally and thoroughly dislike.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by buzugee(m): 9:54pm On May 04, 2012
JeSoul: Interesting take as usual. Can you post the scriptural reference for that? (I'm getting used to enjoying seeing the verses you use to support your beliefs, very interesting stuff).

No probs Hun

JEREMIAH 33 VS 15 In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land. ( THE BRANCH OF RIGHTEOUSNESS IS CHRIST. AND HE GREW OUT FROM THE LINEAGE OF KING DAVID. HE WILL EXECUTE JUDGEMENT AND RIGHTEOUSNESS ON EARTH WHEN HE RETURNS.)

PSALMS 89 VS 14 Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face ( JUSTICE AND JUDGEMENT IS WHY HIS THRONE IS ESTABLISHED ON EARTH. HUMANS ARE CORRUPT AND PARTIAL WITH THEIR JUSTICE. THEY BASE THEIR JUSTICE ON WEALTH, RACE, BEAUTY, ETC ETC. HUMANS HAVE PROVED THEY CANNOT BE TRUSTED TO JUDGE. THIS IS WHY CHRIST WILL BE THE JUDGE ON EARTH FROM JERUSALEM WHEN HE RETURNS. HE WILL JUDGE FAIRLY WITHOUT BIAS )

JEREMIAH 23 VS 5[b] The days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will raise up to David a righteous Branch, a King who will reign wisely and do what is just and right in the land.[/b] ( THE RIGHTEOUS BRANCH FROM DAVIDS TREE IS CHRIST. HE WILL REIGN WISELY AND JUSTLY ON EARTH AS WE CANT SEEM TO ACHIEVE THIS )

WILL TRY TO GET MORE SCRIPTURES. wink
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by buzugee(m): 10:02pm On May 04, 2012
REVELATION 20 VS 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death ( WHEN HE RETURNS TO EARTH, ALL THE CONDITIONS THAT MAKE LIVING LIFE ON EARTH HELLISH WILL BE CAST INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE. THERE WILL BE NO MORE SUFFEREING AND HUNGER AND HOMELESSNESS. EVERYONE WILL BE WELL TAKEN CARE OFF. DEATH WILL BE CAST INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE MEANS THE SPIRITUAL DEATH THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE WALKING AROUND IN ( PEOPLE CALLING THEMSELVES ATHEISTS, CHRISTIANS, MUSLIMS, BUDDHISTS, SCIENTOLOGISTS ETC ETC ) WILL CEASE TO EXIST. EVERYONE WILL COME TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST BECAUSE HE WILL BE HERE. NOW YOU CAN SEE HIM. YOU DONT NEED FAITH ANYMORE. SO DEATH AND HELL WILL BE CAST INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE. SO NO MORE SUFFERING ON EARTH
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LagosShia: 10:10pm On May 04, 2012
you could refer to my thread i started on this topic previously.you should know that my thread is critical of both the bible and christianity in relation to women:

https://www.nairaland.com/821509/women-christianity-bible
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by buzugee(m): 10:11pm On May 04, 2012
FINALLY. WHEN CHRIST RETURNS. EVERYONE ON EARTH, WHO IS LEFT AFTER ALL THE EVIL PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DESTROYED, WILL TAKE A YEARLY PILGRIMAGE TO GO AND SEE HIM IN JERUSALEM AND WORSHIP WITH HIM IN THE FEAST OF TABERNACLES. JUST LIKE YOU HAVE A YEARLY PILGRIMAGE TO MECCA WITH MUSLIMS IN THIS GENTILE WORLD. THIS WILL BE A YEARLY CELEBRATION ON EARTH TO GO WORSHIP AND CELEBRATE WITH CHRIST IN JERUSALEM
ZECHARIAH 14 VS 16[b] And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.[/b] ( SO AS YOU CAN SEE, HIS THRONE IS ON EARTH, WILL BE ON EARTH FOREVER. HE WILL RULE THE WORLD JUSTLY. MEANING YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR CRIME ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME NOT ACCORDING TO RACE OR WEALTH )
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by buzugee(m): 10:24pm On May 04, 2012
AND THIS IS THE FINAL KINGDOM THAT WILL BE ESTABLISHED ON EARTH AND WILL NEVER EVER BE LEFT TO MORTALS AGAIN. IT WILL BE LEFT TO CHRIST TO RULE FOREVER. NO EUROPEAN EMPIRE AKA GREECE EMPIRE, ROMAN EMPIRE, BABYLONIAN EMPIRE, EGYPTIAN EMPIRE, PERSIAN EMPIRE, ASSYRIAN EMPIRE ETC ETC. THIS IS THE FINAL EMPIRE ON EARTH. THE LORDS EMPIRE. THE END OF THE WORLD MEANS THE END OF GENTILE EMPIRE ON EARTH

DANIEL 2 VS 44 At the time of those kings, the God of heaven will establish a kingdom that will never be destroyed. No other people will be permitted to rule it. It will smash all the other kingdoms and put an end to them. But it will be established forever.

DANIEL 7 VS 18 But in the end, the holy people of the Most High will be given the kingdom, and they will rule forever and ever. ( THE HOLY PEOPLE ARE THE SEALED RIGHTEOUS MEN OF GOD WHO DIED IN RIGHTEOUSNESS, AND THEY WILL BE THE AMBASSADORS IN CONJUNCTION WITH CHRIST. ALL FROM THE 12 TRIBES OF ISRAEL. GODS ORIGINAL PEOPLE. CHRIST HIMSELF IS FROM THE TRIBE OF JUDAH )
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 10:26pm On May 04, 2012
I was just going to post something interesting for the op but i see that jesoul has already raised her tent here so any thing i say will irritate her and cause her finger to move from the button between her legs to the button in front of her screen. And that's me banned.
Sorry guys. We have a crazy moderator.
Watch her hide this post.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LagosShia: 10:45pm On May 04, 2012
Logic Mind: I was just going to post something interesting for the op but i see that jesoul has already raised her tent here so any thing i say will irritate her and cause her finger to move from the button between her legs to the button in front of her screen. And that's me banned.
Sorry guys. We have a crazy moderator.
Watch her hide this post.

i dont think she is crazy but you are in fact the one crazy.

you've forgotten when you were using the "f" word when talking about religious symbols revered by billions of people?

you are dirty with your language believing you are online and you can do anything to offend others even when it is uncalled for.you need to change.

JeSoul is christian and i am Muslim.we have little in common.but yet still i am saying the truth.you can fight christianity,Islam and even challenge the belief in God in a proper way.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Ptolomeus(m): 10:47pm On May 04, 2012
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Ptolomeus(m): 10:49pm On May 04, 2012
@JeSoul

Was there the person who says that Jesus never had sex?

In any case, my story is more believable ...
A man who has not sex in his life is a sick person has a problem, or just a homosexual inclination (not bad).
Everyone who draw their conclusions.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 10:49pm On May 04, 2012
LagosShia:

i dont think she is crazy but you are in fact the one crazy.

you've forgotten when you were using the "f" word when talking about religious symbols revered by billions of people?

you are dirty with your language believing you are online and you can do anything to offend others even when it is uncalled for.you need to change.

JeSoul is christian and i am Muslim.we have little in common.but yet still i am saying the truth.you can fight christianity,Islam and even challenge the belief in God in a proper way.

you mean fight it your own way?

has it occured to you that your fanaticism on nl could also be offensive to some people?
or is it only religious people that are allowed to feel offended?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LagosShia: 11:08pm On May 04, 2012
Logic Mind:

you mean fight it your own way?

has it occured to you that your fanaticism on nl could also be offensive to some people?
or is it only religious people that are allowed to feel offended?

so now there is no freedom of speech for others who "offend" you? so if you feel "offended" by my "fanaticism" you are to insult me?

is this what atheism has taught you? if you feel offended,log-out of nairaland to avoid being offended.people are not here to abide by what suits you.you are just a member like any other.everyone is free to propagate his beliefs.if you think my views are strongly supported and i defend them with a passion,and you see that as fanaticism,then engage me without the insult and using vulgar and raw expressions.

see a couple of the many examples of your rude remarks you had no shame to air:

Logic Mind:

I will bet my life that your mum was underaged when your father started fuckin' her
he wouldn't be a good muslim if she wasn't

Logic Mind:

same argument could be applied to you.

i am stiil waiting for allah's feeling on fuckin' my 9 yr old wife.

https://www.nairaland.com/651674/easter-gift-christian-god-blood/2#10555852
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:17pm On May 04, 2012
LagosShia:

so now there is no freedom of speech for others who "offend" you? so if you feel "offended" by my "fanaticism" you are to insult me?

is this what atheism has taught you? if you feel offended,log-out of nairaland to avoid being offended.people are not here to abide by what suits you.you are just a member like any other.everyone is free to propagate his beliefs.if you think my views are strongly supported and i defend them with a passion,and you see that as fanaticism,then engage me without the insult and using vulgar and raw expressions.

see a couple of the many examples of your rude remarks you had no shame to air:

https://www.nairaland.com/651674/easter-gift-christian-god-blood/2#10555852

Just listen to yourself speak. So i should log out if i feel offended but should be banned if you feel offended?
So I am here to abide by what suits you? You are not a member like any other?
Everyone is free to propagate his beliefs except logic mind?
And if you think my views are strongly supported and i defend them with a passion,and you see that as "offensive",then ban me?

Those remarks that seem rude to you are how normal everyday people talk.
That's how I talk.
NL sensors everything including the first name of former U.S. vice president. Cheney. So I have to find ways to get my point across so as not to be misunderstood.
Whatever nl bots might think, "intimacy" is not the same thing as "fuckin'"
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Zhulfiqar1: 11:31pm On May 04, 2012
Logic Mind:

Those remarks that seem rude to you are how normal everyday people talk.
That's how I talk.
NL sensors everything including the first name of former U.S. vice president. Cheney. So I have to find ways to get my point across so as not to be misunderstood.
Whatever nl bots might think, "intimacy" is not the same thing as "fuckin'"

now we see your point. smh
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 12:54am On May 05, 2012
i know the xtians want to shut me up but i must preach their bible to the world.

Let's start with this one.

Exodus 20:17

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

This passage clearly shows that the bible consider women as properties of men like ox or donkey. Note also that this rule does not apply to women coveting their neighbours husbands. undecided

1 Like

Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 1:23am On May 05, 2012
This one is so disgusting that I have to post the whole chapter. Yes the bible has a whole chapter dedicated to uncleanliness of women after childbirth. Notice that the unclean period doubles if it is a baby girl!
It also implied that childbirth is sin.

Leviticus 12

12 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. 3 On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised. 4 Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over. 5 If she gives birth to a daughter, for two weeks the woman will be unclean, as during her period. Then she must wait sixty-six days to be purified from her bleeding.

6 “‘When the days of her purification for a son or daughter are over, she is to bring to the priest at the entrance to the tent of meeting a year-old lamb for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or a dove for a sin offering.[a] 7 He shall offer them before the Lord to make atonement for her, and then she will be ceremonially clean from her flow of blood.

“‘These are the regulations for the woman who gives birth to a boy or a girl. 8 But if she cannot afford a lamb, she is to bring two doves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and the other for a sin offering. In this way the priest will make atonement for her, and she will be clean. ’”
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 2:39am On May 05, 2012
Women soldiers are a curse.
In the book of Nahum Capter 3, verse 13, the lord cursed Nineveh thus:
Nahum 3:13

13 Look at your troops—
they are all women!
The gates of your land
are wide open to your enemies;
fire has consumed their bars.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 3:01am On May 05, 2012
Women must wear hijab! Yes the bible orders it!

1 Corinthians 11 5 - 6

5 But every woman praying or prophesying with her head unveiled dishonoreth her head; for it is one and the same thing as if she were shaven.

6 For if a woman is not veiled, let her also be shorn: but if it is a shame to a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be veiled.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 4:25am On May 05, 2012
Woman is naturally impure and transfers this impurity to men through childbirth.

Job 14:1-4

14 “Man born of woman
is of few days and full of trouble.
2 He springs up like a flower and withers away;
like a fleeting shadow, he does not endure.
3 Do you fix your eye on such a one?
Will you bring him[a] before you for judgment?
4 Who can bring what is pure from the impure?
No one!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 4:44am On May 05, 2012
hmmm... d comments here re interestin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do We Identify A Righteous Person? / Should I Get Baptised The Second Time? Please Help / South-East Killings Force Catholic Summit’s Movement From Imo To Asaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.