Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,935 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun (2496 Views)

Babangida Hosts APC, Says Nigeria Is Greater Than PDP / Was Awo Guilty Of War Crimes? / Jonathan Releases 155-page Book On His Achievements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun by Nobody: 6:05am On May 04, 2012
Obasanjo’s achievements greater than Awo’s –Ogundokun
By AKEEB ALARAPE
Friday May 04, 2012

Photo: Sun News Publishing

More Stories on This Section
A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Abiola Ogundokun, has said former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, remains the highest achieving leader in the political history of the Yorubas after the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

Ogundokun, who was reacting to a recent interview published by our sister’s newspapers, Sunday Sun, where Chief Ayo Adebanjo, a core adherent of Awo’s school of thought, categorically stated that Obasanjo and former Lagos State governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, cannot step into Awolowo’s shoes.

But while acknowledging the extra-ordinary performances of Awolowo as Premier of the defunct Western Region and as a party leader, Ogundokun said such performances were limited to the region.
“The comparison between Awolowo and Obasanjo is better deciphered when proper parameters are set. For instance, Awolowo was a regional leader, while Obasanjo ruled all the regions in the country, first as a military head of state and later as a civilian.

“Of all the leaders Nigeria has ever produced, Obasanjo remains the longest serving one. His transition of power from military to civilian and much later from one civilian regime to another remain a feat that would forever be celebrated. Like Awolowo, Obasanjo has not lost relevance even after his tenure expired as an elected president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. He has been a leading voice in the brokerage of peace in troubled nations within and outside Africa. Little wonder he is seen as a global icon of peace.

“Traditionally, it should be a thing of pride if the achievements of a succeeding leader supersede his predecessor’s. Awolowo would be celebrating in his grave the fame and positive image Obasanjo has brought the Yoruba nation. Saying no one can step into Awo’s shoes is tantamount to saying the progress of the Yoruba nation had been stalled since Awo relinquished power. This is a farce because a leader like Obasanjo has ascended hills, scaled hurdles and worked tirelessly to make himself the most applauded and feted Nigerian leader in recent times. His contributions to the PDP enhanced the growth and popularity of the party beyond the African soil,” Ogundokun said.

He, nonetheless, appreciated Adebanjo’s reservation about those who touted themselves as progressives and genuine Awoists while in the real sense their ideologies and nature of politics have shown that they are only using the platform built by Awolowo to deceive his teeming admirers.

The former national publicity secretary of the defunct National Party of Nigeria (NPN), particularly took a swipe on the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), which he condemned for working against the interest of Awolowo’s family.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/may/04/national-04-05-2011-004.html
Re: Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun by MrGlobe(m): 6:47am On May 04, 2012
What exactly did Awo achieve if not in 'free education policy' which was handed to him and TRIBALISM. Awo is honored today by the yeroubas because of his tribalistic ideologies. Obj is a pan african

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun by Jeel: 8:07am On May 04, 2012
Any time any day,Obasanjo is one of the best things that has happened to this nation
Re: Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun by kodewrita(m): 9:50am On May 04, 2012
Length of tenure and size/area administered are the criteria for measuring achievement nowadays abi noted.

Awo met a backward region and pulled it ahead of the rest of the country.

Awo met an insular largely illiterate farming people and forced them to send kids to school at government expense. Dramatically increasing literacy rates and changing the lives of millions who might never have had an education.

Awo Took an old indigenous city and for a time, it was the most advanced city on the continent.

And you choose to compare that with OBJ.

ok. noted again.
Re: Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun by WilyWily5: 12:44pm On May 04, 2012
I believed that Obasanjo is far greater than Yoruba Village Master Awo, then followed by Akintola.
The problem between Awolowo and Akintola is because, Akintola is from Ibadan and Egba people hated them, Egba man see Ogbomosho man as inferior.
When Yorubas were killing each other, burning each other to death, Egba called Akintola Devil that must die by any means possible, Nzogwu heard the crying of the Egbas and eliminated Akintola, immediately that happened Yorubas stoped burning each other to death. You seee God used Nzogwu to save Yorubaland.
Re: Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun by civilserva: 1:13pm On May 05, 2012
No basis for comparison, south westerners can attest to Awo Legacy. Awo was the real foundation the sounthwest was built.
Re: Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun by akigbemaru: 2:04pm On May 05, 2012
Even in Obasanjo's dream, he can never parallel or becloud Awo's indispensable achievement. Started from free education policy, this was a catalyst that propels Yoruba race to what we are today and we continue to be a pace-setter in Africa and beyond through our culture, religion and life styles. I got to America and I see no different between white men and I. George Washington had the power to become a king, he just jettisoned such idea and embraced democracy, this goes a long way to show how simple wise decision can have urge positive impact on human race.
As far as all I cared, even if Obolagido-sanjo rules Nigeria three times, that won't still enough to equal Sage Awolowo.
Every Obasanjo's policy towards Yoruba race from his military to civilian regimes shows that he is our number one enemy of progress. That makes the rumors of him a vagabond and a carpet-grabber from East born by a Ibo foot soldier become true. Evident, from his civilian rule that I know off, I may not have been born during his military days, he put everything from advisers to heads of government agencies as Ibo people e.g. CBN-Soludo (that's a smart banker no doubt), Stock Exchange- Yeye Okereke, NAFDAC- Madam rebrand Biafra e.t.c.
Obolagido-sanjo, he knew Yoruba race power and prosperity center around Lagos State, he viciously tried but failed to cripple Lagos economy by holding up to a year in workers' salaries --- people that live on meager and got families to feed and rent to pay. This is when mini-Awo a.k.a. Tinubu Oju-yobo stepped into Awo's shoes and borrowed money from oversea to pay Lagos workers for full year. If Obosanjo was really a Yoruba man, because I know the tribal marks he had can't fool me, he won't hold the economy of his fatherland to ransom just because he had a beef with its ruling party. It's funny though, if Tinubu does not want to be a Yoruba national leader today, Colonel Marwa, the Yoruba adopted son will have larger appealing traits in Yoruba land than Obosanjo, because his prolific stints during his military era on Yoruba soil as shown us that you don't have to be a Yoruba man to have us at heart!

Like sage Awo says: charity begins at home and I hold my 100 percent allegiance to the coarse of Yoruba race, Obosanjo, I bet you won't say that. If you want to be a nationalist, why can't you be living in Abuja or Anambra? You know THE BEST protects come from your people that is why you are back in Otta farm. This is not just Obosanjo traits, it's evident in all Naija leaders.

Sage Awo RIP, if you would have run Yoruba land the way Obosanjo ran it between 1999 to 2007, we would have nothing to show as of today as Yoruba race!!!
Re: Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun by ektbear: 2:11pm On May 05, 2012
petaling:
“Traditionally, it should be a thing of pride if the achievements of a succeeding leader supersede his predecessor’s. Awolowo would be celebrating in his grave the fame and positive image Obasanjo has brought the Yoruba nation. Saying no one can step into Awo’s shoes is tantamount to saying the progress of the Yoruba nation had been stalled since Awo relinquished power.

I agree with this point...

This is a farce because a leader like Obasanjo has ascended hills, scaled hurdles and worked tirelessly to make himself the most applauded and feted Nigerian leader in recent times. His contributions to the PDP enhanced the growth and popularity of the party beyond the African soil,” Ogundokun said.
...but OBJ is not the man who has exceeded Awolowo, in my opinion. Presumably there will be someone sooner or later, though.
Re: Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun by ayobase(m): 5:45pm On May 05, 2012
everyone with his or her opinion!
Re: Obasanjo’s Achievements Greater Than Awo’s –ogundokun by procedure: 8:12pm On May 05, 2012
When u compare persons on achievement the basis must be opportunity. Awo and obj never had same opportunity.
But on legacy obj had non he was a man that always wants to play safe among the rich. Awo legacy favoured the majority.
The problem of nigeria is between the elite versus the masses. It is worst today because the elite are now versus themselves. They hid under tribe, religion. The masses are not better of because their brother is the president the north is an example. Awo did not betray his kins men obj did because he loved himself more not nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Say No To Media Or Forum Intimidation / South African-nigerian Free Trade Treat Likely / Anambra People, Take A Look At Imo State And Vote Wisely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.