Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

[Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED - Programming (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED (23574 Views)

Poll: Vote for your choice for Summer 2012

Government Budget Monitoring System: 32% (21 votes)
Fund Raising app to aid Charities/individuals in raising needed funds: 14% (9 votes)
Encyclopaedia of Nigerian goods: 7% (5 votes)
Browser to promote Nigeria: 18% (12 votes)
App to predict power failure: 26% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Poll: We have a tie, please pick your favourite and most feasible

Government budget monitoring/Performance Application: 60% (6 votes)
Application to predict power failure or give real-time updates on when NEPA plans to cut-off ur power supply: 40% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install The Right Version Of Code::blocks / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. / Function Points (FP) Vs Lines Of Code (LOC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 12:29pm On Jul 19, 2012
lordZOUGA:
I think the question mark means.. Have those options been considered? If those options have not been considered then it should be given consideration

lordZOUGA: the software should get budgets from server that are in pdf formats and present them in a structured format to the user?
Yes users will see it in a structured format. The plan is to make it so simple anybody who sees it can understand it.

lordZOUGA: It should have a library?
Will be considered.
lordZOUGA: Should know unread and already read?
Right now @kobo is reading from an excel file into the database. the pdf we got from the budgets office website was/is being transferred to excel by @kobo and @gozzilla

lordZOUGA: Users should be able to comment and mark budgets as executed or not?
For now users wont be able to mark budgets as executed or not. As for commenting, i will include it thanks.
lordZOUGA: Should be able to convert between formats(this should probably exist on server tho)?
We will also incorporate this. Thanks.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 20, 2012
A-ZeD:
If anybody is interested in working on the project let me know. You don't have to be a programmer.
Am learning python. Still new to it. How can i help?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 12:28pm On Jul 22, 2012
handsomeness:
Am learning python. Still new to it. How can i help?
We still need to come up with design for the front end. W
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 2:49pm On Jul 22, 2012
can I mock-up a client for this? I use C++. Or is this only for .NET?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jul 22, 2012
A-ZeD:

We still need to come up with design for the front end. W
Like i said, am new to programming(NEW)... What can i do?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 7:56pm On Jul 22, 2012
lordZOUGA: can I mock-up a client for this? I use C++. Or is this only for .NET?
yeah you can.

handsomeness:
Like i said, am new to programming(NEW)... What can i do?
I know you new to programming. Do you want a programming based task?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Nobody: 3:10am On Jul 23, 2012
Nah.. Am still learning.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 9:10am On Jul 23, 2012
Kobo do you need help with data from the budget office?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 2:31pm On Jul 24, 2012
A-ZeD:
Kobo do you need help with data from the budget office?

Not really. Have been having more work to do at work but handling this in spare time as all it requires is a lot of cut and pasting in excel and eventually moving data from excel to SQL.

Is the client Application being built? If you need the interface information for the service I have so far(only budget data so far) then, let me know I can easily post that here or send it to you via email, later in the week.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by ayodinho91: 4:29pm On Jul 24, 2012
Would love to be part of your team. Have read post from the first page to the last one. And i'm really interested in it.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 6:49pm On Jul 24, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Not really. Have been having more work to do at work but handling this in spare time as all it requires is a lot of cut and pasting in excel and eventually moving data from excel to SQL.

Is the client Application being built? If you need the interface information for the service I have so far(only budget data so far) then, let me know I can easily post that here or send it to you via email, later in the week.
@Handsomeness wants to do participate so i was thinking of assigning him the transfer of data to excel so you can concentrate on real office work and the web service.
You can post the information for the service here.
ayodinho91: Would love to be part of your team. Have read post from the first page to the last one. And i'm really interested in it.
Feel free. Are you a programmer?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On Jul 25, 2012
A-ZeD:

@Handsomeness wants to do participate so i was thinking of assigning him the transfer of data to excel so you can concentrate on real office work and the web service.
You can post the information for the service here.

Feel free. Are you a programmer?

I will definitely upload some of the excel I am working with for him to work on. Will include a template as well to help.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 7:16pm On Jul 25, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I will definitely upload some of the excel I am working with for him to work on. Will include a template as well to help.
Thanks
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 8:29am On Jul 28, 2012
suggestion: post sql table structure so that gui or api persons can get started without waiting for the excel data. this may also encourage crowd sourcing for this year's and future budgets

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 12:37pm On Jul 28, 2012
cripnip: suggestion: post sql table structure so that gui or api persons can get started without waiting for the excel data. this may also encourage crowd sourcing for this year's and future budgets
Good idea.. Kobo would post it up asap. She's been very busy of late.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 11:52pm On Jul 28, 2012
cripnip: suggestion: post sql table structure so that gui or api persons can get started without waiting for the excel data. this may also encourage crowd sourcing for this year's and future budgets

The diagram I am using it already about 2 pages from this one.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 11:59pm On Jul 28, 2012
@Handsomeness, here are the raw files and the sample that I was able to put together from the raw data.

Essentially, I arranged the data in a certain order, and populated the extra columns as needed. I am only able to attach one file in this case. Let me know if you need more as they are more than 200KB in size each.

** see the template in the next reply.

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 12:01am On Jul 29, 2012
** Template to give you an idea of how the final should look like. Please note the Field Names, the order of the columns, and content. MDA values are usually available for each MDA on the first worksheet. Subsequent worksheets on the projects, and include such information as Code for the particular project, the status information as of time budget was approved,description, Location, State, Amount, and then the budget year is 2012 since we are processing the 2012 budget here. ** undecided
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 2:39am On Jul 30, 2012
@AZED, time to get a github account or something going. I am not able to upload more files here, and I probably need to share what I have with others so we can work better than this. Please look into creating one for the project.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 7:28am On Jul 30, 2012
Kobojunkie: @AZED, time to get a github account or something going. I am not able to upload more files here, and I probably need to share what I have with others so we can work better than this. Please look into creating one for the project.
https://github.com/azdonald/Nairaland-Summer-of-Code
Thats the github link.
Do you have a github account so i can give you commit access?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 2:39pm On Jul 30, 2012
Please add me, Kobojunkie, as a member.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 4:19pm On Jul 30, 2012
Kobojunkie: Please add me, Kobojunkie, as a member.
Done
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 5:00pm On Jul 30, 2012
Will upload as soon as possible. Look out for it in a couple of hours
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 4:40pm On Aug 01, 2012
Azed, check your email please.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 10:39pm On Aug 01, 2012
Kobojunkie: Azed, check your email please.
Seen your mail.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 11:54pm On Aug 01, 2012
Any C# person here? Kobo would be busy for a while and we need to continue.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 2:58am On Aug 02, 2012
A-ZeD:
Any C# person here? Kobo would be busy for a while and we need to continue.

Like I said, you do not need to code the client in C#, simply write code that mirrors calls to a C# Service like those methods in there. There is absolutely no reason why the front end should be delayed for any reason because of the backend technology.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 9:05am On Aug 02, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Like I said, you do not need to code the client in C#, simply write code that mirrors calls to a C# Service like those methods in there. There is absolutely no reason why the front end should be delayed for any reason because of the backend technology.
[quote author=Kobojunkie]

No problem
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 9:28am On Aug 04, 2012
A-ZeD:

https://github.com/azdonald/Nairaland-Summer-of-Code
Thats the github link.
Do you have a github account so i can give you commit access?

i'm now watching the github project.

perhaps the db format should be put up there too. an sqldump without the data would be nice as i can't seem to figure out the yuml.me thingy (or isn't it what kobo referred to as 2 pages back?)

also, maybe we should arrange the project into bin, res and src folders for binaries, resources and sourcecode with the excel and sql data under resources.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 10:44am On Aug 04, 2012
cripnip:

i'm now watching the github project.

perhaps the db format should be put up there too. an sqldump without the data would be nice as i can't seem to figure out the yuml.me thingy (or isn't it what kobo referred to as 2 pages back?)

also, maybe we should arrange the project into bin, res and src folders for binaries, resources and sourcecode with the excel and sql data under resources.
You are right. I'd work on that over this weekend. I'm also trying to do a mock up of the front end so work can start on them too.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 1:52pm On Aug 04, 2012
i wouldn't bother with a gui mockup if i were you. people may not honour it (i know i won't, i may just do a console app), they'll just do what they're comfortable with. the only standard we may hope for is an api to interact with the db.
anyway, waiting for the db models
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by legis: 8:25pm On Aug 04, 2012
A-ZeD:

I actually checked out your site during the period. I believe you even started a thread about it.
I also forsee the hurdles you do but i think i have a primitive work around. Taking the FG as case study, We take the budget as it is realeased with the break down e.t.c, we monitor contract awards/spending(MDA) against the announced budget.
Results i forsee
Assuming we start with the 2012 budget, we will have nothing, but starting with the 2013 budget, we should see things that where budgeted for in 2012 and are still budgeted for in 2013....
As for the bolded, I just think an app like this will be useful in 2019 i.e more of a long term thing
If well developed and publicised, more and more people will be interested in the budget/government spending which will make it harder to execute the same project in 2 consecutive years.
dts creative of u bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / Java Tutorial For Beginners / Programmers: At What Age Did You Start Programming?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.