Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

[Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED (23547 Views)

Poll: Vote for your choice for Summer 2012

Government Budget Monitoring System: 32% (21 votes)
Fund Raising app to aid Charities/individuals in raising needed funds: 14% (9 votes)
Encyclopaedia of Nigerian goods: 7% (5 votes)
Browser to promote Nigeria: 18% (12 votes)
App to predict power failure: 26% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Poll: We have a tie, please pick your favourite and most feasible

Government budget monitoring/Performance Application: 60% (6 votes)
Application to predict power failure or give real-time updates on when NEPA plans to cut-off ur power supply: 40% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install The Right Version Of Code::blocks / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. / Function Points (FP) Vs Lines Of Code (LOC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 12:53am On Aug 06, 2012
cripnip: i wouldn't bother with a gui mockup if i were you. people may not honour it (i know i won't, i may just do a console app), they'll just do what they're comfortable with. the only standard we may hope for is an api to interact with the db.
anyway, waiting for the db models

You do not need the DB model to work on this. Look in github to get the Db access objects and that should give you an idea of what you to work on. Also, the the file

For those in need of a template on what to do with the budget data in the excel files, transform the budget line items as in the picture below, we should have something good to go.

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 8:48am On Aug 08, 2012
i've downloaded what is at github and your attached picture is sufficient. i'll work on a console version.
by the way, the project has no name. even in github, you guys are still using the summer thing. i suggest we name it fast as we don't know where this might go. perhaps with a poll?
i'm calling my console app 'budget-9'. 9 for 9ja.
by the way, what does the MDA in MDACode mean?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 9:20am On Aug 08, 2012
why not plain 'budget informer'?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 9:46am On Aug 08, 2012
cripnip: i've downloaded what is at github and your attached picture is sufficient. i'll work on a console version.
by the way, the project has no name. even in github, you guys are still using the summer thing. i suggest we name it fast as we don't know where this might go. perhaps with a poll?
i'm calling my console app 'budget-9'. 9 for 9ja.
by the way, what does the MDA in MDACode mean?
MDA == Ministry Department Agency
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 12:21pm On Aug 08, 2012
thanks for the mda hint. i guess naming it falls on kobojunkie. i'd say it should be more unique than budget informer. what, is the software a snitch?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 6:12pm On Aug 08, 2012
cripnip: thanks for the mda hint. i guess naming it falls on kobojunkie. i'd say it should be more unique than budget informer. what, is the software a snitch?

This is not the time to worry about the name which you can change so many times over when done. What we need now is to implement this and get it out there.

Also, for MDA code, someone was supposed to have compiled a list of these for us earlier. I don't think he sent the file but here is a link to where you can get codes you are not sure of

http://www.servenigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=306&Itemid=234
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by harryobas: 12:30pm On Aug 10, 2012
@kobojunkie Do u have an idea of the entire project scope? I also believe at this point in the project lifecycle, a baselined application architecture showing the main functional elements(subsystems) of the application, the interfaces exposed by these functional elements and their connectors should be established to guide implementation. Also depending on the size/scope of the project, i think that the application should be delivered in increments through a series of time-boxed iterations.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 2:11pm On Aug 10, 2012
harryobas: @kobojunkie Do u have an idea of the entire project scope? I also believe at this point in the project lifecycle, a baselined application architecture showing the main functional elements(subsystems) of the application, the interfaces exposed by these functional elements and their connectors should be established to guide implementation. Also depending on the size/scope of the project, i think that the application should be delivered in increments through a series of time-boxed iterations.

I am not the one in charge of the project. @A_zed came up with the idea and I am simply trying to help him get this working. Unfortunately, I don't know how far he has gone with it. I decided to help extract the data for the build and I will get back to it as soon as I can. But please direct your questions to @A_zed, and if you are volunteering to help in the creation of the baseline architecture, please feel free to go for it.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 12:50am On Aug 11, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I am not the one in charge of the project. @A_zed came up with the idea and I am simply trying to help him get this working. Unfortunately, I don't know how far he has gone with it. I decided to help extract the data for the build and I will get back to it as soon as I can. But please direct your questions to @A_zed, and if you are volunteering to help in the creation of the baseline architecture, please feel free to go for it.
good day every one
I'd like to know those who are interested in working on this project so we can work together by assigning tasks to everyone.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 1:33am On Aug 11, 2012
harryobas: @kobojunkie Do u have an idea of the entire project scope? I also believe at this point in the project lifecycle, a baselined application architecture showing the main functional elements(subsystems) of the application, the interfaces exposed by these functional elements and their connectors should be established to guide implementation. Also depending on the size/scope of the project, i think that the application should be delivered in increments through a series of time-boxed iterations.
The whole project revolves around monitoring the budgets of the Fg(and hopefully each state too). Kobo extracted the data gotten from the budget office website to excel. For now, getting details of goverment spending is not straight forward so we hope to rely on news articles from major papers in Nigeria.
The project is going to be a web service with the budget starting with this year.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by xterra2(m): 5:26am On Aug 11, 2012
A-ZeD:

good day every one
I'd like to know those who are interested in working on this project so we can work together by assigning tasks to everyone.

Um okay, I'll do the front end
Html/css or is the intended frontend in aspx ?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 8:59am On Aug 11, 2012
I don't like excel... Can't this stuff be available in pdf?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 10:31am On Aug 11, 2012
lordZOUGA: I don't like excel... Can't this stuff be available in pdf?
You can get the pdf version at the budget office website.
xterra2:

Um okay, I'll do the front end
Html/css or is the intended frontend in aspx ?
aspx would be better cos the backend will be C# but if you want to do html/css no problem we,ll find a way to hook everything up.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by harryobas: 11:17am On Aug 11, 2012
A-ZeD:

The whole project revolves around monitoring the budgets of the Fg(and hopefully each state too). Kobo extracted the data gotten from the budget office website to excel. For now, getting details of goverment spending is not straight forward so we hope to rely on news articles from major papers in Nigeria.
The project is going to be a web service with the budget starting with this year.

Since the project is going to be a web service, i believe it is logical to assume that the project is targeted at developers/programmers who will consume the service from their application. Also what functionality/features will the service provide to its client.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 11:44am On Aug 11, 2012
harryobas:

Since the project is going to be a web service, i believe it is logical to assume that the project is targeted at developers/programmers who will consume the service from their application. Also what functionality/features will the service provide to its client.
The service should allow clients view the budget(graphs, chart e.t.c). The plan is to present the budget in such a way that every tomiwa, dike and haruna can understand.
It should also be able to detect duplication between successive budgets(Capital expenditure).
It should also show contracts awarded(cost, duration, company awarded e.t.c)
Futuristic functions
-Value for money e.g Fg spends 2 billion on roads. How long did it take to construct, how may km constructed e.t.c
Extend all functionalities to each state.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by harryobas: 12:37pm On Aug 11, 2012
A-ZeD:

The service should allow clients view the budget(graphs, chart e.t.c). The plan is to present the budget in such a way that every tomiwa, dike and haruna can understand.
It should also be able to detect duplication between successive budgets(Capital expenditure).
It should also show contracts awarded(cost, duration, company awarded e.t.c)
Futuristic functions
-Value for money e.g Fg spends 2 billion on roads. How long did it take to construct, how may km constructed e.t.c
Extend all functionalities to each state.

Do u require help with project management? I think that since this project is a kind of collaborative development that is likely in involve quite a number of different programmers coming from diverse development cultures, contributing code to the project. I believe it is imperative that a proper project management structure be put in place in order to avoid development chaos and to ensure timely project delivery.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 12:42pm On Aug 11, 2012
harryobas:

Do u require help with project management? I think that since this project is a kind of collaborative development that is likely in involve quite a number of different programmers coming from diverse development cultures, contributing code to the project. I believe it is imperative that a proper project management structure be put in place in order to avoid development chaos and to ensure timely project delivery.
We need all the help we can get as this is a part time project.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lincDzinc(m): 3:17pm On Aug 11, 2012
This is really awesome guys, keep it up!
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by xterra2(m): 4:44pm On Aug 11, 2012
A-ZeD:

You can get the pdf version at the budget office website.
aspx would be better cos the backend will be C# but if you want to do html/css no problem we,ll find a way to hook everything up.

It would be html/css I would then give you to asp.net it

Tthe backend is c# done by you guys NOT me you designed the backend and did everything so of course I can't do the aspx-ing shouldn't be that hard once you have the html I did,you'll just edit it small
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by delomos(m): 11:16pm On Aug 11, 2012
I think what was done here can set some light on this project -- that solves the same exact problem: http://www.recovery.gov/Pages/default.aspx (which was also in .NET)

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 10:42am On Aug 12, 2012
delomos: I think what was done here can set some light on this project -- that solves the same exact problem: http://www.recovery.gov/Pages/default.aspx (which was also in .NET)

Are you going to help in achieving that? undecided
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by prodam(m): 6:06pm On Aug 13, 2012
Good Job so far..
Guyz dont forget about encryption of sensitive information and the security of the application itself.
All the best as I religiously follow the thread.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by xterra2(m): 6:49pm On Aug 13, 2012
I wanted to also do this but in a much better way using you guys data but I'll chill on that first

@Azed I've changed my mind,I'll do the front end in aspx when you guys have all the data ready okay ?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 8:37pm On Aug 13, 2012
sign me up! backend, tests and as little gui as possible. i've got vb.net, c++, sql, a little of html, css and asp.net under my belt. also i could do mgt stuff like svn and maybe git too
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 10:58pm On Aug 13, 2012
xterra2: I wanted to also do this but in a much better way using you guys data but I'll chill on that first

@Azed I've changed my mind,I'll do the front end in aspx when you guys have all the data ready okay ?
Ok...Thanks for your effort.
cripnip: sign me up! backend, tests and as little gui as possible. i've got vb.net, c++, sql, a little of html, css and asp.net under my belt. also i could do mgt stuff like svn and maybe git too
Dude you are welcomed to join.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 1:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
I intend to buy a domain/hosting service this week so if anyone knows a good web host that supports asp.net and sql server please let me know.
I'm moving the excel data from @Kobo put into sql server.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
asana.com | for task management
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 11:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
A-Zed, hope you're not doing the excel to mssql thing manually. there's this stuff i did that could fasten things up. it's called DataBox. check it out on sourceforge: sourceforge.net/projects/databox
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 5:47pm On Aug 17, 2012
cripnip: A-Zed, hope you're not doing the excel to mssql thing manually. there's this stuff i did that could fasten things up. it's called DataBox. check it out on sourceforge: sourceforge.net/projects/databox

I already have that sheet there in the view. You can import that to a development SQL dB and work with that little day for now. Eventually, when I am less busy, I can clean up some more of the data in SQl and upload it for you to use. So there is really no need to wait on data because the Database view is provided some pages back. If you need me to resend you an image of the database tables I have, I will do that.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by chucky234(m): 8:47pm On Aug 17, 2012
Budget monitery and expenditure tracking app will certainly be a great piece if birth,an app that will help the public to track and monitors all government expenditure as that will help cut the excessive wastage of the nation's resources.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 11:07pm On Aug 17, 2012
chucky234: Budget monitery and expenditure tracking app will certainly be a great piece if birth,an app that will help the public to track and monitors all government expenditure as that will help cut the excessive wastage of the nation's resources.
no it won't cut excessive wastage... I can't even see its usefulness... Whatever led someone to think that the government cares about the masses knowing of their embezzlement... Its an open secret, you don't need an app for that..

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by xterra2(m): 11:22pm On Aug 17, 2012
Edit

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / Programmers: At What Age Did You Start Programming? / Java Tutorial For Beginners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.