Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,396 members, 7,836,587 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? (8119 Views)

Man Beat His Wife For Not Calling Him "Sir" / What On Earth Can Make A Man To Beat His Pregnant Wife..?? / Help! He Can't Beat His Wife Anymore (She Learnt Karate) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Nobody: 9:39am On May 06, 2012
violent: ^^ True that the father need to control his frustrations and anger, but most people here cursing the dude haven't actually considered whether or not the beatings was out of genuine concern for the kids future!!

While growing up, I know a few peeps whose parents don't give a flying shyt about them, most of them ended up as drop outs who continuously lied to their parents that they were attending school just to squeeze some extra cash from them!

Any man who can take as much interest in his kids to the extent of sitting down with them with their homework cannot in my own books be said to be evil...that language is dirty, ugly and too strong to use for someone whose intentions are borne of our genuine concern and love, if he wasn't interested in the kid's warefare, he may have pushed him on to his irresponsible mum (that's how i see the mum)

For reference sakes....are there people on this thread who grew up in Naija and whose parents have never flogged them shitless for coming home with a poor performance? I got some of those floggings too...i got those floggings each time i stayed out of school to play football with my friends and I got flogged each time i came home with a very poor performance.....Does that actually mean those acts were inhumane? well at least now, i don't think so, and i thank God for having parents who may have spared me from ending up in Chinese jail!

People should really cut this dude some slack! The best approach, if it appears that the beatings are excessive, should be to have a meeting with the dad and let him see reason why a more gentle approach will help the boy more!
I do not support those cursing the man. Really, he's got so much on his sleeves and I respect him...for that. Howbeit, my concern is the excessive beating of that child. Which is wrong, and oftentimes doesn't help much. Yes, I got those floggings too, ; ) especially from a military father... And, i know it when it's 'excessive'. That little boy need some help, awful. LOL @ Chinese Jail...

Op, I wish you the best for that child. Pls, keep us updated. Weldone, you.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:12pm On May 06, 2012
violent:
And there are still people that believe this man must be evil? smh!
---
Feel free to contact the office of the Public Defender in Lagos, but i'd advise you NOT to take decisions that might cause rifts within a family that's already having several problems of their own. Nairalanders as usual will always give both silly and useful advise at the comfort of their computers directed only by their emotions and nothing else.....but most of them don't have a mentally unstable wife, an extremely busy routine or two kids to care for

Ehn ehn! Igbana nkan? I could identify with your post earlier but now - I'm boiling. What gives him the right to take out his frustrations on the poor 8 year old? 8 years for crying out loud. That is child abuse on the higest level. How can you keep kids awake till 11pm all in the name of doing assignments and you expect them to perform wonders at school. The only reason the older child is doing better is cos he is older, simple. Their comprehension level isn't the same.

You keep excusing his attitude, blaming it on the fact that he has so many things on his hands. You even went ahead to call a mentally disabled mother irresponsible. Isn't that an unkind thing to say? Have you wondered why we have so many hurting, disjointed, brutes and animalistic fathers out there? So many are a product of broken homes, child abuse and poor upbringing.

You are right that the man isn't evil. NontheleSs, he needs help. Hence, the introduction of the Office of the public defender. You could sound this way cause you've been a victim yourself. I hope you don't treat your kids this way.

The man is either an illetrate or poorly educated.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by violent(m): 1:54pm On May 06, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Ehn ehn! Igbana nkan? I could identify with your post earlier but now - I'm boiling. What gives him the right to take out his frustrations on the poor 8 year old? 8 years for crying out loud. That is child abuse on the higest level. How can you keep kids awake till 11pm all in the name of doing assignments and you expect them to perform wonders at school. The only reason the older child is doing better is cos he is older, simple. Their comprehension level isn't the same.

You keep excusing his attitude, blaming it on the fact that he has so many things on his hands. You even went ahead to call a mentally disabled mother irresponsible. Isn't that an unkind thing to say? Have you wondered why we have so many hurting, disjointed, brutes and animalistic fathers out there? So many are a product of broken homes, child abuse and poor upbringing.

You are right that the man isn't evil. NontheleSs, he needs help. Hence, the introduction of the Office of the public defender. You could sound this way cause you've been a victim yourself. I hope you don't treat your kids this way.

The man is either an illetrate or poorly educated.

I'd tell you what gives him the right to take out his frustrations on the 8 year old ---> The fact that the 8 year old kept failing!

I'm not yet a parent but i understand that being a parent isn't a walk in the park. If someone dedicates their life to give you the best, then you may expect them to be rightly frustrated if you keep coming out bottoms among your peers. I quite agree that this may dude have overstepped the thin lines between child training and abuse, and even needs a lot of help and counselling.....but can his frustrations be justified? ---> Hell Yes!

There are thousands of Children selling Gala and soft drinks on the street of Lagos while their parents bought Aso Ebi. Many of these kids end up as societal misfits and others destitutes --->that is child abuse to me--->> a man staying late into the night and helping his Kids with their homework despite the fact that he'd still have to wake up early the following morning to prepare them for school deserves some kudos! only very few men are capable of this!

I called their mum irresponsible before i learnt of her mental state --- a statement that i now wish to recall ---

And no, contrary to your thinking, i don't consider myself being a victim of abuse at all. Even though i got the long end of the stick each time I misbehaved, i still got showered with all the love, attention and perks most people can only ever dream of. Now I have some gravel in my guts and i know that life is itself is a tough nut; you don't crack it unless you've got a big mallet!

Your assertion that the older kid does better because he's older is just BOLLOCKS!!!!

I remember my younger sisters will normally top their peers while i stayed at the bottom --- the floggings corrected all this for me and i eventually realized that the only reason i wasn't doing very well was simply because i was too playful. My comprehensive ability was infact very sharp, but i just loved playing football and rarely ever attend classes.

Could it be that the kid is full of potentials but just too playful? Could it be that the older kid understands that their dad is doing his best and feels he's obligated to reward him by putting some extra efforts to his studies? Kids if left alone will drive anyone nuts!

The beatings may be excessive and should be toned down a bit ...but is the father necessarily the animalistic brute as is being portrayed in this thread? I don't think so!

And since when has it become a crime for a man to be illiterate or poorly educated?
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by pheesayor(m): 3:14pm On May 06, 2012
I know so much because I'm an insider and that's why I need to be anonymous when getting help for the boy as the father has refused to listen to all of us.
The boy doesn't even fail outrightly, there are 7 in his class and his average position has always been 4th/5th
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:57pm On May 06, 2012
violent:
I'd tell you what gives him the right to take out his frustrations on the 8 year old ---> The fact that the 8 year old kept failing!

This reason isn't good enough. We all have differents brains and some kids are slow at learning no matter what you do.

I'm not yet a parent but i understand that being a parent isn't a walk in the park. If someone dedicates their life to give you the best, then you may expect them to be rightly frustrated if you keep coming out bottoms among your peers.

Still not a justifiable reason. I agree that you will be frustrated, but it doesn't justify the excessive beating. I am not a very patient person when it comes to helping kids out with assignment. What I do when I am getting frustrated by these kids is to keep correcting ( sometyms with some spanking depending on the child) them and if I'm almost pushed to the wall, I leave them to the teachers to teach. I believe the teachers have special gifts in dealing with these kids. The father could easily arrange an after school coaching for these kids instead of getting himself worked up.

I quite agree that this may dude have overstepped the thin lines between child training and abuse, and even needs a lot of help and counselling.....but can his frustrations be justified? ---> Hell Yes!

Thank God you agree this is child abuse.

a man staying late into the night and helping his Kids with their homework despite the fact that he'd still have to wake up early the following morning to prepare them for school deserves some kudos! only very few men are capable of this!

And why is that a big deal. Is that not what women do everyday? We are the last to sleep, yet the first to wake up. Not to talk of the stress of taking d kids to school and ensuring you make it to work before resumption. Why are you 'over-praising' this man for performing his God ordained responsibility? Did anyone beg him to bring the kids to the world? Its a parent's responsibility to ensure that his/her kid turn out responsible. So, in that light, the man isn't evil cos he has good intentions, but he is going about it absolutely the wrong way. The kids should be sleeping at that time he is getting home.

And no, contrary to your thinking, i don't consider myself being a victim of abuse at all. Even though i got the long end of the stick each time I misbehaved, i still got showered with all the love, attention and perks most people can only ever dream of. Now I have some gravel in my guts and i know that life is itself is a tough nut; you don't crack it unless you've got a big mallet!

Excellent! I also got the long end of the stick. The difference between us and this kid is that we got showered with love. This kid needs love and a firm hand and not just beating, beating and beating!

Your assertion that the older kid does better because he's older is just BOLLOCKS!!!! !

Indeed!!! Lol cool

I remember my younger sisters will normally top their peers while i stayed at the bottom --- the floggings corrected all this for me and i eventually realized that the only reason i wasn't doing very well was simply because i was too playful.

Could it be that the kid is full of potentials but just too playful? Could it be that the older kid understands that their dad is doing his best and feels he's obligated to reward him by putting some extra efforts to his studies? Kids if left alone will drive anyone nuts!

Thank God OP clarified this very well on this thread. The boy tries to please his father in his own way. He isn't failing cos he is too playful, NO! His father just doesn't want to be pleased.

And since when has it become a crime for a man to be illiterate or poorly educated?

It is not a crime. I only said that cos I expected him to know that kids attention span is very short, they get restless when they are tired and they all don't/can't learn at the same pace.

God help us all to be good parents. Amen!
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Tgirl4real(f): 4:11pm On May 06, 2012
Infact OP,

Reaching the office of the P. Defender might be a long thing. While doing that, I suggest you send a transcript of this thread to the man. Let him read what people had to say about him. Say it's from a silent observer, that he should change else the kid will be taken away from him. grin grin

Ignore the latter part.lol
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by emmatok(m): 7:56pm On May 06, 2012
Tgirl4real: Infact OP,

Reaching the office of the P. Defender might be a long thing. While doing that, I suggest you send a transcript of this thread to the man. Let him read what people had to say about him. Say it's from a silent observer, that he should change else the kid will be taken away from him. grin grin

Ignore the latter part.lol

P. Defender in Nigeria,

Who will take care of the kid if the GOVT take the children away.

The absentee MUM should share the blame here.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Tgirl4real(f): 8:26pm On May 06, 2012
emmatok:

P. Defender in Nigeria,

Who will take care of the kid if the GOVT take the children away.

The absentee MUM should share the blame here.

They won't take the child away. They will only charge him to court for abusing the child or counsel him depending on the situation.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by lastpage: 8:53am On May 07, 2012
pheesayor: The father has refused to listen to pleas by everyone even his close friends. He recently bought a mini piano for the elder one, something the younger one demanded for before now and didn't get(the elder one attends a private boarding school in otta). We told his teacher about it and the teacher confirms its having a negative effect on the child in school, we told him to discuss it with the father which he did, the beatings reduced for a while but he started again.
The irony is the boy still loves his father but needs help. Any human rights or child rights group I can contact? And what does the child right law of lagos state say about this?
Just looking at the "Heading" of your post, the first thing that crossed my mind is: WHY WOULD YOU INCLUDE TH PHRASE "EXCESSIVELY", in your Question?
By doing that, you 'seem' to show that you have a grouse, ab initio! And that my friend, makes your story to appear one-sided, like you are already bent on painting a bad picture of 'this father', to the world (remember he is not here to state his own side of the story or defend/deny these accusations!)

As you know, anything "excessive", even something as mundane as drinking water, IS BAD!
I would not even condone a "parent" beating their child, except in very very rare circumstance where all and repeated "civil entreaties" have failed to yield result.

Even at that, "caning a child" should not be for "punishment" but for "correction"
and thus, the METHOD USED to administer such caning is VERY IMPORTANT:
1.) Call your child aside and explain to him/her, what you are about to do (administer cane! grin )
2.)EXPLAIN (l cannot over-emphasize the importance of this) why caning is the "only option" left
3.) Never cane your child when you are ANGRY, the anger will transfer to your "hands" and into the cane and you will "abuse" the process (excessive).
4.) Do like the British Police (They put handcuffs on bad people and use "please" at the same time! grin ), ask him to "please" extend his hand (or buttocks as the case may be! shocked ) and administer the cane.
5.) Remember that excessive caning will defeat the purpose of "correction" thus, administer not more than three strokes for children less than 10yrs, four for ages 10 - 14,(six is allowed for a repeated offender that stole something! grin ). maybe a "smack" for older ones but in reality, if you have done a good job at the "early years", you only need to "bark' at your older children (14 and over) and they will fall in line!
6.) When done with the caning, dont leave your child to "brood over the caning" by himself; immediately, draw him towards yourself, tell him how much you love him and how much pain you feel that you have to cane him. Ask him to promise you that he will not do things that would make you cane him or disobey instructions in future (make sure he promise you; children take such promises seriously than we will ever know or realize!)
7.) Crack some joke and make him smile (dat one no they easy at times o but l usually find a way to do it) just to lighten the atmosphere. Kiss him on the forehead and round up by saying "thats my boy" grin
8.) Give him a distraction "immediately" by engaging his mind (Children's mind wonder a lot and negative thoughts have a way of creeping-in at that moment). Ask him to fetch you a cup or something or just ask him to get a rag/ brush and clean his shoes or yours (Just about anything to distract his mind from the caning experience; of-course, he has learnt the lesson as the place still hurts a wee-bit! wink )

The child feels the pain,learns the lesson but experience the warmth and love of a father, at that point; His confidence in your fatherly ability is renewed an he takes you seriously but in a loving way because you have shown him that loving him was never in doubt.

The Bible says "Fathers, do not exasperate your children"!

Lastpage!

BTW: @Op: If you have children yourself, would you be surprised and call it an irony that the boy still loves his Dad?
The love of a son for his Dad is in the blood, very natural. wink
Dont complicate their life with your human right/Police angle.
What the father needs is someone to explain "balanced parenting" to him.
If he has a phone number (You can ask the boy since you seem close to him), P.M it to me and l will politely speak with him and l can assure you that even you will notice changes in his parenting skills.
Worst case; Copy and print the above on a plane A4 Paper. Stick-it under the door or attach it to his windscreen early morning. He will read it and it might just help him see that he is doing it wrongly. Use of force is counter productive is this kind of problem.
Cheers.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:47am On May 07, 2012
Lastpage,

I sincerely hope this idea works. I have used such method for my hubby several times with regards to our baby. I usually, leave a web page open on his computer to read about childcare or do a print out. He reads and acknowledges, only to repeat the same thing 2weeks later.lol. Though with a lil improvement.grin

The man needs conselling. And, such people only listen to an authority on the subject. I'm sure a public childcare expert will do a good job.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by violent(m): 10:56am On May 07, 2012
Good one @Lastpage!...every line of it, golden!...but erhm, four strokes for children between 10 and 14?....it wouldn't have worked for me as a kid! grin grin

Dont complicate their life with your human right/Police angle.
What the father needs is someone to explain "balanced parenting" to him.

Same thing i thought!

I wonder if people truly think the boy will be happy if the Police cautioned his father for beating him.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Legendschool: 3:14pm On May 07, 2012
I reserve my judgement.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Zilja(f): 5:44pm On May 07, 2012
moremi2008: @OP, it appears that the father has a limited understanding of child development. First, you can't really compare two children; children are born with different strengths, weaknesses and IQs. Second, no amount of beating and harassment can make that boy as brilliant as his brother if he isn't born with similar academic abilities.

Here's what the father needs to do:

1) Verify that the child is diligently trying his best. The biggest contributor to academic success (at almost all levels of education) is diligence. As long as the child is hardworking and has a good grasp of delayed gratification, then the child will be just fine. What he is doing to this child is dangerous. In an attempt to "beat" his child into academic excellence, he is running a real risk of permanently scaring the child and introducing problems he wasn't born with. As long as the boy is doing his best, no amount of beating is going to make him "smarter".

2) Identify the child's strengths: Some children are gifted in non-academic areas. It would be a real shame if the father causes the child to neglect the areas where he truly excels.

It would not surprise me if the child the father now beats-up every day turns out to be the more successful sibling. That's just the funny way life works sometimes. He needs to chill-out on the beating; it's a counterproductive and dangerous practice.

ps - The posters recommending that the OP call the police need to STOP IT! Call the police for what? In Nigeria? Please, let's stop giving patently foolish advice.

When things like this happens I give thanks I live abroad.

I agree with your first statement but the rest reads rubbish. This father is in a mental state of his own and will not is not listing to any outsiders. How do you intend for the father to read what you are telling him to do. Is it not follish advise?

The help is needed NOW; waiting for the father to take a class on child develement might very well be too late for the child.

It is a shame that children; no matter where they live have to be subjected to a menace as a parent.

Just because he has money does not make him the best intrest for the child.

Money does not = love.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by violent(m): 6:08pm On May 07, 2012

When things like this happens I give thanks I live abroad.

I agree with your first statement but the rest reads rubbish. This father is in a mental state of his own and will not is not listing to any outsiders. How do you intend for the father to read what you are telling him to do. Is it not follish advise?

The help is needed NOW; waiting for the father to take a class on child develement might very well be too late for the child.

It is a shame that children; no matter where they live have to be subjected to a menace as a parent.

Just because he has money does not make him the best intrest for the child.

Money does not = love.

I bet you are chain smoker! ...how else could a grown ass man type such a load of junk without being possibly high on marijuana?

So what help is needed "NOW"?

It appears many shallow thinkers simply believe that; Not beating a child must = Love! ...#epic fail!
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by ronkebp(f): 6:18pm On May 07, 2012
I don't know how to sink it into some men heads, that removing belt on every little thing, is not the best way to correct a child. Nobody should touch my kids oooooo, if they do not want to see' amadioha' in person.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by taryour(f): 6:34pm On May 07, 2012
ronkebp: I don't know how to sink it into some men heads, that removing belt on every little thing, is not the best way to correct a child. Nobody should touch my kids oooooo, if they do not want to see' amadioha' in person.

ronkeeeeeeeee, am still laffin heavily. We are on d same plate. Infact d teacher wey go bit my pikin eehnn go smell him own anus.
@ronke,am sure are yoruba but wetin u find reach amadioha side na?
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by chucky234(m): 6:48pm On May 07, 2012
most NLanders are unbelievably backward,a man whose wife left two kids with for God knows how long yet people who cannot even care for a kid opened their mouths here to call him names.
The man simply decided to remain single after the wife left so he dedicate his time to the two boys but you all fail to realise that,beating is out of love the son.
OP,all you have to do is to report the issue to the boy's school authority so they can advise the man on the best way to handle the child,they can as well assist the man to get a private tutor for the boy.

1 Like

Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by ronkebp(f): 8:41pm On May 07, 2012
taryour:

ronkeeeeeeeee, am still laffin heavily. We are on d same plate. Infact d teacher wey go bit my pikin eehnn go smell him own anus.

All of the above ooooo, if i should start narrating how i am mixed blooded ehn!! this whole page will not contain it. it started from my fore-fathers'. smiley
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by taryour(f): 8:47pm On May 07, 2012
ronkebp:

All of the above ooooo, if i should start narrating how i am mixed blooded ehn!! this whole page will not contain it. it started from my fore-fathers'. smiley

u are mouthed. Lol
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Zilja(f): 9:58pm On May 07, 2012
violent:

I bet you are chain smoker! ...how else could a grown ass man type such a load of junk without being possibly high on marijuana?

So what help is needed "NOW"?

It appears many shallow thinkers simply believe that; Not beating a child must = Love! ...#epic fail!

AND you must don't have any children. Don't have to smoke a pipe to know that that father is WRONG for beating his child as the poster said. Beating and discpline are two diferent things.

When you grow up you will know then.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by agiboma(f): 9:59pm On May 07, 2012
Zilja:

AND you must don't have any children. Don't have to smoke a pipe to know that that father is WRONG for beating his child as the poster said. Beating and discpline are two diferent things.

well said
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Idowuogbo(f): 10:08pm On May 07, 2012
Beat my pikin and see if tsunami no carry am d same day angry angry

@op
U here typing and asking queshun, abeg go rush d papa blow na angry angry angry
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by violent(m): 10:35pm On May 07, 2012
Zilja:

You are right, I don't have kids...but i wouldn't join the bandwagon of shallow minded people who are quick to call for the father's head for beating his kid. Yes, it may have been excessive and maybe there's need for someone to speak to him about his disciplinary measures...but what's this rubbish i see with people who have absolutely no idea how the family works calling for "measures".."authorities".."police" and what not? That's just excessively stoooopid!

Neither you nor the "Authorities" nor the "OP" will stay awake all night if the boy as much as catches cold...guess who will?

What in people's shallow mind makes them think the father does not in retrospect regret his actions?

What in people's silly thinking makes them think the father does not love the son or the son the father? and if they both mean the world to each other...then what the FUCCK is people's business?

Those screaming child abuse are just high on horse dung! I wonder how many of them actually know the names of their kid's teachers or bothers to help their kids with homeworks

You people should go fucck a squirrel and if you can stop crying over people's headache then you may need high dose of dopamine! nonsense!
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by lastpage: 4:37am On May 08, 2012
violent:

Good one @Lastpage!...every line of it, golden!...but erhm, four strokes for children between 10 and 14?....it wouldn't have worked for me as a kid! grin grin

Same thing i thought!

I wonder if people truly think the boy will be happy if the Police cautioned his father for beating him.

Okay, l no say you stubborn pass the "average kid" in those days!
Looking at things now, l hereby increase your own to twelve lashes .....and it means you are now in "arrears" of like 1000 lashes!

Can you "please" pull your trousers down right now and let me administer the "arrears"? grin grin wink

Cheers.

Lastpage!

BTW: Dont argue over this, l have seen "gifted" young people whose level of "wisdom" transcends their age and your "posting" points in such direction.
Thing is: A foolish young person will grow up into a foolish "old adult", even when such adult has children! grin grin
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by lastpage: 4:54am On May 08, 2012
Tgirl4real: Lastpage,

I sincerely hope this idea works. I have used such method for my hubby several times with regards to our baby. I usually, leave a web page open on his computer to read about childcare or do a print out. He reads and acknowledges, only to repeat the same thing 2weeks later.lol. Though with a lil improvement.grin

The man needs conselling
. And, such people only listen to an authority on the subject. I'm sure a public childcare expert will do a good job.
With those little-little improvements, he will get better.
The Police, Judge, Social workers ARE NOT about "correction", they are more about PUNISHMENT! This is because their work and position are based ON LAW....and you know the law could be an ass!

If you give a child the benefit to decide, he would rather that his father/mother be "politely advised and counseled" than S/he be jailed for child-abuse.

The "interest of the child" is not the punishment the parent gets, but that he becomes a better parent, for the benefit of that child.

Lastpage!

BTW: On a general level, l think spouse who talk ill of their other spouse (husband or wife) are creating a very toxic environment for child up-bringing because by hearing what you say of his/her other parent, you are making him/her loose respect for them and when they grow up, they become an "unbalanced and dysfunctional parent", also!
Some Women especially, (seems common among them on NL)should learn to respect their husbands, especially in the presence of their children 'cos what goes round comes around eventually!
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:28pm On May 08, 2012
lastpage:
With those little-little improvements, he will get better.
The Police, Judge, Social workers ARE NOT about "correction", they are more about PUNISHMENT! This is because their work and position are based ON LAW....and you know the law could be an ass!

If you give a child the benefit to decide, he would rather that his father/mother be "politely advised and counseled" than S/he be jailed for child-abuse.

The "interest of the child" is not the punishment the parent gets, but that he becomes a better parent, for the benefit of that child.

Lastpage!

personally, I am after the father seeing reasons. Those saying the father should be punished are taking it to the extreme. Please note that, (according to poster) the father has refused to listen to anyone. How else do we communicate to/with him? Something needs to be done before he completely ruins the poor boy's self esteem. The man is maltreating this boy. No other word for it.

Well, let's try the phone call part, probably it will work.

BTW: On a general level, l think spouse who talk ill of their other spouse (husband or wife) are creating a very toxic environment for child up-bringing because by hearing what you say of his/her other parent, you are making him/her loose respect for them and when they grow up, they become an "unbalanced and dysfunctional parent", also!
Some Women especially, (seems common among them on NL)should learn to respect their husbands, especially in the presence of their children 'cos what goes round comes around eventually!

I am absolutely with you on this. Though not easy, as parents we should learn to use what Yorubas call "using one mouth to train a child" when bringing kids up. Some fathers (and some mothers too as the case may be), often take this discipline thing too far, but we should avoid sowing seeds that will make the child look at the other parent as evil.

The best approach is to call your spouse aside (and not right in front of the child) to raise the issue.

My question is: if your husband decides to beat your child which also happens to be his, would you jump up and fight him? undecided
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:33pm On May 08, 2012
violent:

You are right, I don't have kids...but i wouldn't join the bandwagon of shallow minded people who are quick to call for the father's head for beating his kid. Yes, it may have been excessive and maybe there's need for someone to speak to him about his disciplinary measures...but what's this rubbish i see with people who have absolutely no idea how the family works calling for "measures".."authorities".."police" and what not? That's just excessively stoooopid!

Neither you nor the "Authorities" nor the "OP" will stay awake all night if the boy as much as catches cold...guess who will?

What in people's shallow mind makes them think the father does not in retrospect regret his actions?

What in people's silly thinking makes them think the father does not love the son or the son the father? and if they both mean the world to each other...then what the FUCCK is people's business?

Those screaming child abuse are just high on horse dung! I wonder how many of them actually know the names of their kid's teachers or bothers to help their kids with homeworks

You people should go fucck a squirrel and if you can stop crying over people's headache then you may need high dose of dopamine! nonsense!

As it gotten to this?
Don't you think you are overtly getting worked up over another man's issue yourself? undecided lipsrsealed

Referring to the highlighted above, if he does, as it reflected on his actions in anyway? Duh! undecided
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:35pm On May 08, 2012
taryour:

Even if it's for the child's good?
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by ronkebp(f): 2:39pm On May 08, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Even if it's for the child's good?

For which child's good? so killing the child is for his good??, please Tgirl4real, leave story....my mum used to beat me wella, but not to the point of people screaming 'haba!!! e don do' and i can't recall when my dad raised his hands to hit me, and i did not turn out to be a 'gutter girl'.

Every parent should know how to train his or her children, i am not a believer of "spare the rod and spoil the child",but there is a diiference between "constructive lashing and a total drag on the floor-punching and kicking- beat down".
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:03pm On May 08, 2012
@ Ronke,

U just clarified your stance here.

Dis is what I responded to initially grin

ronkebp: Nobody should touch my kids oooooo, if they do not want to see' amadioha' in person.

taryour:
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by ronkebp(f): 3:39pm On May 08, 2012
violent:

Oh so because the father donated sp/e/r/m for the birth of the child and helped in taking care of the child, gives him the right to exert all his energy into beating the child out of anger? There are parents that have abused their rights of being parents. The other time on this same NL there was a picture of a woman who beat her 6 or 7 year old son to the point of only God knows!!!, you needed to see that picture with all the bruises that poor boy had. So because the boy came out of her, she now has the right to kill him so many parents unknowingly have hurt their children because of this anger thingy, they feel they have to unleash on their kids anytime they want. Correction should be done inlove and not extreme anger.
Re: Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children? by Zilja(f): 6:15pm On May 08, 2012
violent:

You must realize by now that their are more "shallow minded" people on this "bandwagon" than you standing alone not wanting to do nothing.

This child is being physically and mentally abused by the hands of his father. (loved or unloved) If I were there I would make a stand and do something and not just talk about how people should turn their heads.

When you have children, I pray in advance for their mental health and enriched quality of life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Have You Ever Asked Your Parents How They Met? / My Wife's Friend Mistakenly Saw My John Thomas.. / Akwa Ibom Court Orders Man’s Arrest Over Refusal To Care For Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.