Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? (25468 Views)

Pls What Is The Meaning Of 2.0l,1.8l,1.7l / Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 / V6 And V4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by Nobody: 5:08am On May 06, 2012
Nice one Ikenna. Always love reading your posts.
Please how and where can i fix my 206 a/c in Lagos?

I usually refill the a/c gas every 2weeks because of a leakage that has been there for more than a year.
Different a/c repairers have diagnosed and failed.

Some have said they want to dismantle the dashboard to check if the leakage is from there.
I have refused but will only allow a certified Peugeot expert to do that. For now, i just refill the gas.

Looking forward to your response.
@OP, sorry to derail your thread.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by ZUBY77(m): 6:23am On May 06, 2012
406 is a nice car.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by Ikenna351(m): 6:50am On May 06, 2012
BlueDiva: Nice one Ikenna. Always love reading your posts.
Please how and where can i fix my 206 a/c in Lagos?

I usually refill the a/c gas every 2weeks because of a leakage that has been there for more than a year.
Different a/c repairers have diagnosed and failed.

Some have said they want to dismantle the dashboard to check if the leakage is from there.
I have refused but will only allow a certified Peugeot expert to do that. For now, i just refill the gas.

Looking forward to your response.
@OP, sorry to derail your thread.

If really they have checked all A/C components in the engine bay & didnt find any leak, the next possible component to check that usually leak gas, when weak, is the Evaporator. Its usually located under the dashboard. Unfortunately, the dash will have to come down before it can be reached. It looks like a mini radiator, I mean the evaporator.

Bringing down dash is not the problem, but mounting it back properly is another case all together. If not properly done, some of the switches on the dashboard will seize to work. There are numerous sizes & colors of connectors under the dash you do not want to mess with. It has to be done with someone that knows what he is doing, not someone "that thinks" he knows what he is doing. Goodluck!

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by Ikenna351(m): 6:56am On May 06, 2012
Also, I want to add that the phase 2 406 V6 manual trans has been the car i have long plan to buy next, whenever i am ready to change my 605 V6. I havent done that yet because the cash isnt ready & its killing me. So, OP, no be only you like & want beta thing! grin grin grin

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by alasibanz: 6:58am On May 06, 2012
@Ikenna
Do you have any advice on 307 2.0 automatic gear transmission problem.
At times I do experince sudden sound and display of abnormal gear.
What I do is offing the engine and restarting again. This occurs once in week.
Will appreciate your advice.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by Ikenna351(m): 7:37am On May 06, 2012
Dont get me wrong, am not saying that facelifted 406 I4s are not good too. The 2.0 (EW 10) & 2.2 (EW 12) engines are good too. They are improvements of the phase 1 I4 engines. They pull fine, but not as good as the V6 though.

Their advantage over the V6 here in Nigeria is that all their engine parts are available in both new & used, unlike the V6 parts you will mostly find only used parts available here.

Just want to place all the cards before you.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by Ikenna351(m): 7:42am On May 06, 2012
alasibanz: @Ikenna

I am the wrong person to ask anything about auto tranny. No clue at all with their wahala. And I dont like wasting my time studying that unreliable thing. So, sorry for not knowing how to help you on this.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by alasibanz: 7:42am On May 06, 2012
PLEASE ATTEND TO THIS IKENNA
alasibanz: @Ikenna
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by alasibanz: 7:43am On May 06, 2012
THANKS
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by uuspace(m): 8:37am On May 06, 2012
Hello Moderator how can i start a new post,I do not have a new post button on my profile thanks
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by patriotze: 9:55am On May 06, 2012
t-die:
Hi all,
I'm currently considering getting a Peugeot 406 V6 (face-lift version) i.e 2001 + from Europe. What should i look out for.
Its going to be a stick shift (manual)-that brings out the fun in the V6 driving experience.
I have looked at online reviews and they seem fair, but I want to know whether parts would be available and whether there would be
Mechanics who can work on them here in Naija-Abuja, Benin, Enugu.
I'm temporarily based in Abuja, but would relocate to Edo in a few months.
I envisage a lot of highway driving.
While fuel consumption is not an issue for me, I still want to know how thirsty it is in town driving.
I'm also considering getting a 2002 Peugeot 307 xsi (pre-facelift 2.0L petrol, automatic) as a second car for my town driving-any takes on that as well.
Any info would be appreciated, from actual users of these cars and other Peugeot enthusiasts....
Thanks in advance
undecided
t-die:
Hi all,
I'm currently considering getting a Peugeot 406 V6 (face-lift version) i.e 2001 + from Europe. What should i look out for.
Its going to be a stick shift (manual)-that brings out the fun in the V6 driving experience.
I have looked at online reviews and they seem fair, but I want to know whether parts would be available and whether there would be
Mechanics who can work on them here in Naija-Abuja, Benin, Enugu.
I'm temporarily based in Abuja, but would relocate to Edo in a few months.
I envisage a lot of highway driving.
While fuel consumption is not an issue for me, I still want to know how thirsty it is in town driving.
I'm also considering getting a 2002 Peugeot 307 xsi (pre-facelift 2.0L petrol, automatic) as a second car for my town driving-any takes on that as well.
Any info would be appreciated, from actual users of these cars and other Peugeot enthusiasts....
Thanks in advance

My brother am very happy that u made the right choice because both 406 and 307 are fuel economy car, consumeless my brother go for them you will not regret as well there are several mechanics that can handle your car without complaint so, dont buy the auto version manual is more reliable often. Take care as well.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by tdie: 10:43am On May 06, 2012
Wow; @ ikenna; that was quite educative! Thanks bro; will go ahead to have a phase 2 v6 shipped in from holland!
I can live with the issues you mentioned.
I recall having a leak problem with my pug 306 which had water ingress into the passenger footwell;it was AC related and corrected.
What of the 307; any opinions?
Will keep you guys updated.
@ jbrodaly, are your 307s the facelift versions (2005+)??
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by bigx(m): 10:55am On May 06, 2012
t-die:
Wow; @ ikenna; that was quite educative! Thanks bro; will go ahead to have a phase 2 v6 shipped in from holland!
I can live with the issues you mentioned.
I recall having a leak problem with my pug 306 which had water ingress into the passenger footwell;it was AC related and corrected.
What of the 307; any opinions?
Will keep you guys updated.

Pls what's facelift version? How does that look? Its a new term to me

Edit: ok just googled it, I've an idea now..
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by since1914(m): 11:11am On May 06, 2012
Ikenna God bless you...you know what you are talking about. I have heard so many terrible things about 406 from people whom have never sat in the drivers seat before. But I still went ahead to buy it. The car did not disappoint me. Infact two of the people that discouraged me the most are both driving 406 now, after seeing how well mine serves me.

The only problem I had initially was the I didnt have a good mechanic. The one I had was using my car to do 'Practicals'. Today he will say its the gasket, after changing that he will call another thing. It was when he mentioned Radiator cover that my eyes cleared. I was then introduced to this guys in Gudu, Abuja. They are very good and affordable. I advice all those in Abuja to look them up. They are just behind Bay-Town Lounge.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by obicentlis: 12:58pm On May 06, 2012
OP, i ve used 307 since 2003. It is a reliable car. Fuel consumption is very minimal and the best of the brands i ve used so far. 5litres of fuel will take u morethan 50kms. The engine is the best though i bought mine brand new. Am about 2 sell my 307, my buyer is pricing it 750k but am insisting on 1m due to the fitness of the car. It has just go for 90000km since i bought. I will advice u 2 go for it cos u will enjoy it.
Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by Ikenna351(m): 1:34pm On May 06, 2012
doofanc: Pegeout ke? That brand of car is a total disaster.
Almost everyone i know of who used one complained bitterly about its unending issues.

Its second value is non existent. On this auto board its common to see 2001 406 going 4 as low as 400k (most likely due to its issues and d owner cant wait to get rid of it). You can google search if u doubt.

Am one of those that dont give a damn about resale value when choosing a car to purchase. Why? Because i dont buy cars to resale the next day. I buy to use till it falls apart. Am not the type that gets carried away with new cars or new things. Because that something is new doesnt make it better than the older ones. I can only go for a new when actually its an improvement on reliability & durability sake, not the design or looks. Because the day that new thing starts its wahala, you will forget all the fine looks & wished you had kept the old reliable one you threw away. Mind you, a newer a car, the less reliable it is. Days were gone when cars were damn reliable, during the carburetor days. Only N500 will bring life back to the car, as soon as you finished washing/cleaning the carburetor & mount it back. But now, series of headaches: sensor this, sensor that; wire this, wire that; ECU this, Ecu that;etc. In fact, time will come when Cars will start suffering from Virus infections too, if it has not even started.

Before I bought my two Lions, I carried out a series of studies on the two. How reliable & durable they were? How powerful their engines were? To me, mpg is secondary when choosing a car to buy. Knowing that i love long distance driving, the only car that can suite that is a good road handler with a powerful accelerating engine, which the two passed. Considering how GOOD our highways are, one needs a fast accelerating & torquey engine to be able overtake fast & manueuvre the car on potholes on our good deathtraps on top speed. Besides, am the speed type. So i need a car or an engine that withstand my driving style on highways & still last longer that one would expect. I need a car that i needed not to depress throttle pedal deeply to gain speed or or accelerate hard to speed beyond 120km/h. If you have driven a torquey car, you would understand. The only Naturally aspirated I4 engine that is very torquey is Diesels. Yes, they are so good with overtaking. And very durable, more than petrol engines. The HDI engines (Diesels) in 406s can be so damn good with mpg. They are smooth & smokeless, unlike the conventional diesels that usually sound like grinding machines. In 2002, a Peugeot 406 HDI set the world record for the longest distance driven on a single tank of fuel, with a covering distance of 2,348 km on a single tank. Having such a car would mean a full tank could last more than 2 months. Unfortunately, Nigerians dont drive diesel cars. If you buy one, you are on your own. Why? Unavailability of parts, no technical know-how mechanics with diesel cars in Nigeria. And mind you, diesel engine parts cost very very high, even in Europe. Though, they have less electrics & engine components or sensors, but the little they have cost more than you can ever imagine. And to clown it all, they are serviced more frequently than the petrol engines. A simple air leak in a Diesel fuel system will disrupt the whole engine system until the air is bled out, which is not an easy task. The glow plugs can be very hard to pull out. It needs a special tool to do so which is expensive. If the diesel injection pump fails, the price of a new one might even buy a small car for you in Nigeria. But all these notwithstanding, diesel engines are more durable than the petrol ones & consume as if the fuel in the tank is static. But do remember that adulterated diesel in Nigerian filing stations are more than the good ones. So Diesel vs Petrol cars in Nigeria: which is better & more economical? I leave you to answer that.

Ikenna.

3 Likes

Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 06, 2012
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by jbrodaly(m): 10:40pm On May 06, 2012
t-die:
Wow;

Haha bruv you said 2005+ so they are definitely not facelift versions since they are less than 2005.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by jeezybuck: 12:56am On May 07, 2012
When it comes to Peugeot, Ikenna can say it all
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by ladyju(f): 6:30am On May 07, 2012
All I can say is it's a very lovely car.we have used it for years. My hussy loves d car. He recently sold d one he has and bought a new one. 406 all d way
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by Ikenna351(m): 9:25am On May 07, 2012
To help you appreciate 406 better, check the link below:

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/peugeot/406/

They are reviews of previous & present 406 owners all over the world. All models included. You can start from 1999, since thats when the phase 2 production started.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by snthesis(m): 9:42am On May 07, 2012
used a 306 for a while (up for sale at the moment) i must admit that the car is rugged, fuel efficient and of course it gives you the respect of a govt official grin.

the only challenge with Peugeot cars are the mechanics- we have alot of clueless ones that are just interested in making money off the car owner.
another challenge i had with the car was the alternator/power steering belt- kept changing it every two months until i finally got an original belt.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by bigx(m): 9:56am On May 07, 2012
snthesis: used a 306 for a while (up for sale at the moment) i must admit that the car is rugged, fuel efficient and of course it gives you the respect of a govt official grin.

the only challenge with Peugeot cars are the mechanics- we have alot of clueless ones that are just interested in making money off the car owner.
another challenge i had with the car was the alternator/power steering belt- kept changing it every two months until i finally got an original belt.

You can eliminate the guesswork easily... Check this out..

https://www.nairaland.com/931712/peugeot-owners-program-new-keys#10764588
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by revolt(m): 8:32am On May 08, 2012
I currently drive a v4 406 saloon I can tell u this!! If u dnt fix tiny issues in cars with the 406 ure in for hell!! Spare parts are relatively expensive ofcos it consumes fuel like a benz but does less on longer journeysab the ac is the best I've seen in any car! Its nt really a fast car doesn't pick up so quick but mine has never overheated!! Its def more expensive to maintain! Its quite a rugged baby plus let's not forget I'm always mistaken for an army general!!its not a car for a careless ownern. Yes at some point the interior starts to fall apart! Don't knw why
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by Tpharell: 11:23am On May 08, 2012
If the 406 are such unreliable cars how come they are always on duty in top government convoys where reliability is everything? What would an unreliable car be doing in the presidents convoy?

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by Spartakos: 6:48pm On May 08, 2012
i know a few things about that ride. the first is that spare parts are really expensive. another is that the ride is durable. one more thing, if you need a car that surprisingly overtakes a fair number of jeeps on the highway, pick your 406 and meet experts for maintenance. that security and government agencies use it is proof of its power
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by blank(f): 3:47am On May 09, 2012
I love that 406. It handles like a BMW. It is a big man's car so it is expensive to maintain. My dad had that car for 4 years and never had any issue with it. It is so balanced on the highway. We travelled from Lagos to Abuja and it arrived with half tank.

Unfortunately, he sold it when he acquired a 407 to a punk who had an accident with it within a year. The guy had to sell the car cos when you start having electrical problems with it, na so d issue go dey build up. The 407 does not handle like the 406 at all. I hate the delay before it moves.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by netwalker: 6:48am On May 09, 2012
Don't know anything about the 406, except that I think it has got the common flaws many Peugeots seem to have with the AC and door stuff. However, a friend has got one and he flogs it to death on the horrible roads in the East and its still there. Re the so-called lousiness of Peugeots in general, I beg to differ thereon: I have got a 505, and I have used it constantly for a few years now, and must state that it is the strongest car I have ever used. Good maintenance does play a part, of course, but the innate strnght of the earlier Peugeots is incontestable.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by bigx(m): 6:58am On May 09, 2012
blank: I love that 406. It handles like a BMW. It is a big man's car so it is expensive to maintain. My dad had that car for 4 years and never had any issue with it. It is so balanced on the highway. We travelled from Lagos to Abuja and it arrived with half tank.

Unfortunately, he sold it when he acquired a 407 to a punk who had an accident with it within a year. The guy had to sell the car cos when you start having electrical problems with it, na so d issue go dey build up. The 407 does not handle like the 406 at all. I hate the delay before it moves.
Is the 407 auto transmission?
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by jbrodaly(m): 5:08pm On May 09, 2012
OP when you finally make up your mind on which to buy you can see this link:
https://www.nairaland.com/933936/2-clean-units-peugeot-307
best of luck bruv!
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by globalfanz(m): 6:49am On May 15, 2012
This topic is quite timely. But V6 seem to be availlable in COUPE only. I dont like 2 door car. Have done some search but cant get it in saloon version.
Re: Peugeot 406 V6, And 307 2.0L: What's Your Take? by bigx(m): 7:18am On May 15, 2012
m.gumtree.com.au/v?adId=1000955230

It should be available in 4 door, just found one through google

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Car Was Your First Car? / This N10m?Electric Motorcycle Single Battery Charge Can Take You Up To 180Km / After A Ghastly Accident, How Can I Fix Or Repair This Car(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.