Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,836 members, 7,820,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Godaddy Vs Namecheap - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Godaddy Vs Namecheap (3159 Views)

Teach Me How To Register For Coupon Domain Name On Godaddy / Godaddy Account / Godaddy.com Issue. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Godaddy Vs Namecheap by legalwealth(m): 11:47pm On May 06, 2012
Fellow nairalanders,

I buy domain names for myself and others using GODADDY with my paypal account

and I'm enjoying their service but there is a fellow friend of mine who is also an Internet Marketer is trying to convince me

to move to namecheap and that they are the best.................

Please! !!Which one is still the best between Godaddy and Namecheap for buying domains names?

Reasonable answers pls and I'm waiting................
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by goldenval(m): 9:28am On May 07, 2012
legalwealth: Fellow nairalanders,

I buy domain names for myself and others using GODADDY with my paypal account

and I'm enjoying their service but there is a fellow friend of mine who is also an Internet Marketer is trying to convince me

to move to namecheap and that they are the best.................

Please! !!Which one is still the best between Godaddy and Namecheap for buying domains names?

Reasonable answers pls and I'm waiting................

@Poster, I will advice you to move your domains to namecheap because godaddy is working with US gov and you do not have 100% control of your business. I have about 10 domains with them which I have transferred to Namecheap and I am loving it smiley
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by Ymodulus: 10:05am On May 07, 2012
goldenval:

@Poster, I will advice you to move your domains to namecheap because godaddy is working with US gov and you do not have 100% control of your business. I have about 10 domains with them which I have transferred to Namecheap and I am loving it smiley
[quote author=goldenval]

sorry but are u a boko haram programmer? or workin for al_qaeda? lol. anyway no offence i understand wat u mean by US Gov
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by guru01(m): 11:15am On May 07, 2012
[quote author=Ymodulus][/quote]See Question o cheesy
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by soloqy: 11:28pm On May 07, 2012
Godaddy can be a pain in the derrière sometimes.

1) Godaddy does not allow one to just do a clean and fast checkout. They keep adding offers and other products which, if one is not careful, you can end up paying for stuff you dont want. Namecheap offers quick and express checkout. No one has time to waste.

2) Godaddy can hold an expired domain for up to 84 days hence denying the owners(in case they could not renew the domain due to some unforseen circumstances) a chance to renew it quickly. Namecheap holds it for 45 days total after it expires so that you can renew it faster. And in those days, the domain is easily available for you to renew.
Dont know if it still happens but once its about 15 days upwards, Godaddy places your domain on the redemption and that means you would need to pay more for it.In recent times, I havent been in a situation where any of my remaining domains with Godaddy expired before I renewed so I cant tell if this is still the case.

Also redeeming the domain with Namecheap is cheaper than Godaddy.

3)I dont know why this happens but If I register a fresh domain with Namecheap, it becomes available almost immediately. By this, I mean, its seen on the Internet almost immediately but Godaddy has to wait the generally proclaimed number of hours for propagation (24hrs-48hrs).

I just have a number of domains left with Godaddy because I just dont like the idea of having every egg in one basket. I even use Name.com as well.

1 Like

Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by ONLINEbizDON4U(m): 6:25am On May 08, 2012
Godaddy is still better.......................
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by guru01(m): 11:42am On May 08, 2012
I prefer Name Cheap...
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by ahmedinho1(m): 2:09pm On May 08, 2012
I will never use GoDaddy again. They have all their components in different places. They expect you to start pointing them to one another.
They have considerable downtime too. You can't put www in front of your domain. I know that's the way it should be but most people will put it to open a site. If you launch www.sub.domain.com Hostgator would help ignore the www and navigate straight to http://sub.domain.com whereas Godaddy will bring an error page! I don't know if they have improved on that.

1 Like

Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by ONLINEbizDON4U(m): 8:03am On May 09, 2012
ahmedinho1: I will never use GoDaddy again. They have all their components in different places. They expect you to start pointing them to one another.
They have considerable downtime too. You can't put www in front of your domain. I know that's the way it should be but most people will put it to open a site. If you launch www.sub.domain.com Hostgator would help ignore the www and navigate straight to http://sub.domain.com whereas Godaddy will bring an error page! I don't know if they have improved on that.

There is solution to that as I use Godaddy very well and I like them so much.
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by Rushland: 10:30pm On May 11, 2012
Why all this NameCheap va GoDaddy?

NameSILO is Legitimate and much Cheaper than BOTH of them. And NameSILO Includes FREE PRIVACY... not just at sign up but at Renewal too. I have a large Portfolio spread across different Registrars and like NameSILO a lot. I also use GoDaddy.

The main reason that most real business won't use NameCheap is because they do not offer any kind of Telephone support because they are not really a Registrar, just a Reseller for Enom.

So if you have a problem with your Portfolio and something goes down with GoDaddy you pick up the telephone 24/7 including holidays and there is someone there to help you. With NameCheap you send an Email and "Hope" someone gets back to you. What do you do if your email address on file is on one of your sites that is down?

The only people all upset with GoDaddy are those that believed all the Hype in Forums over SOPA. The Reality is GoDaddy was PROTECTING the Interests of their customer base. NameCheap has ZERO clout to influence any Law Makers because again they are not really anything more than a Reseller. GoDaddy has over 35 Million Registered Domains. There is a reason for that. What is interesting is that after they supported SOPA for a brief time that's when NameCheap Trolls went to work in the Forums and all the Reactionary non business people moved domains. But GoDaddy Registrations actually INCREASED!

Do you see NameCheap on this list anywhere? "http://domainnamewire.com/2012/02/23/survey-says-godaddy-is-top-domain-registrar/" (Quotes to prevent link out).

There is a reason for that... think about it.

But in any case if you are not a business person and easily inflamed by paid Trolls (GoDaddy would never hire people to troll Forums) then you would be remiss not to use NameSILO, a much better alternative to NameCheap.

There has been a lot of PR Releases by NameCheap in the past month blowing their own horn about 3 million domains. And to get there they had to poach GoDaddy customers with Rediculous Coupons and GIVE AWAY domains. Seriously give them away.

That pretty much sums it up.

GoDaddy or NameSILO are the best options. Real Service. Real Prices.

1 Like

Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by Rushland: 10:35pm On May 11, 2012
ahmedinho1: I will never use GoDaddy again. They have all their components in different places. They expect you to start pointing them to one another.

Are you talking about Hosting or Registration?

Canonicalization is a Choice. As a user of GoDaddy for more than 10 years now I find their Admin Panel for Registrations the most full featured of any I have used and I have used Several including Network Solutions.

You can set your site up anyway you choose. Whether you choose www or not is your choice. It's also very easy to set up your own NameServers which from your post I'm assuming you have never done. It's very easy to do wtih a Reseller Account.

HostGator is a decent mid range host. I've used them on some projects, but for projects that truly matter I wouldn't use them. All shared hosting is over sold and at any time anyone else on that host can lock down the server by using too much bandwidth. It really costs very little more to use a Private Host that isn't touted by everyone on the Net as being so great because they have a big affilaite payout.

www.subdomain makes absolutely no sense at all.
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by yamakuza: 10:37pm On May 11, 2012
Rushland: Why all this NameCheap va GoDaddy?

NameSILO is Legitimate and much Cheaper than BOTH of them. And NameSILO Includes FREE PRIVACY... not just at sign up but at Renewal too. I have a large Portfolio spread across different Registrars and like NameSILO a lot. I also use GoDaddy.

The main reason that most real business won't use NameCheap is because they do not offer any kind of Telephone support because they are not really a Registrar, just a Reseller for Enom.

So if you have a problem with your Portfolio and something goes down with GoDaddy you pick up the telephone 24/7 including holidays and there is someone there to help you. With NameCheap you send an Email and "Hope" someone gets back to you. What do you do if your email address on file is on one of your sites that is down?

The only people all upset with GoDaddy are those that believed all the Hype in Forums over SOPA. The Reality is GoDaddy was PROTECTING the Interests of their customer base. NameCheap has ZERO clout to influence any Law Makers because again they are not really anything more than a Reseller. GoDaddy has over 35 Million Registered Domains. There is a reason for that. What is interesting is that after they supported SOPA for a brief time that's when NameCheap Trolls went to work in the Forums and all the Reactionary non business people moved domains. But GoDaddy Registrations actually INCREASED!

Do you see NameCheap on this list anywhere? "http://domainnamewire.com/2012/02/23/survey-says-godaddy-is-top-domain-registrar/" (Quotes to prevent link out).

There is a reason for that... think about it.

But in any case if you are not a business person and easily inflamed by paid Trolls (GoDaddy would never hire people to troll Forums) then you would be remiss not to use NameSILO, a much better alternative to NameCheap.

There has been a lot of PR Releases by NameCheap in the past month blowing their own horn about 3 million domains. And to get there they had to poach GoDaddy customers with Rediculous Coupons and GIVE AWAY domains. Seriously give them away.

That pretty much sums it up.

GoDaddy or NameSILO are the best options. Real Service. Real Prices.

oga, u sign up just to post this one?

The "only" minus i see with Godaddy domains is their limited payment options, as per nigerian cards; and their 12 day grace period to renew. Oops, i also forgot ...

Nonetheless, they are still #1
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by Rushland: 10:39pm On May 11, 2012
ONLINEbizDON4U: Godaddy is still better.......................

Amen Brother but not everybody understands business.

Thus NameSILO is growing like crazy for the anti-GoDaddy crowd, and is a much cheaper choice than NameCheap. Clean interface, no upsells, very easy to transfer in and out of. Plus if you look on their site they also have a coupon page making it even cheaper. Free Privacy with all accounts. And no I don't work for them, but I do like them a lot. And yes you can call them if you need to. They are based in Phoenix like GoDaddy. NameCheap is based at a MailStop in LA, no published Address or Phone Numbers.
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by soloqy: 12:22am On May 12, 2012
Rushland:

Amen Brother but not everybody understands business.

Thus NameSILO is growing like crazy for the anti-GoDaddy crowd, and is a much cheaper choice than NameCheap. Clean interface, no upsells, very easy to transfer in and out of. Plus if you look on their site they also have a coupon page making it even cheaper. Free Privacy with all accounts. And no I don't work for them, but I do like them a lot. And yes you can call them if you need to. They are based in Phoenix like GoDaddy. NameCheap is based at a MailStop in LA, no published Address or Phone Numbers.

Namecheap answers support tickets in no time. Whether its phone support or not, you get quick support. The aguement here is not on who is number 1(based on number of domains managed). Everyone knows Godaddy is there and Namecheap has 3million.
Not everyone has time to start sifting through all the offers Godaddy pushes in your face just because you want to register a domain. With Namecheap, its express checkout.

You understand that sometimes, simple is classy. A simple interface with quick and simple checkout, makes a merry heart anytime.

Namecheap is as easy as ever to use meanwhile, if you are a newbie, chances are you will spend a lot of time figuring out stuff on Godaddy interface.
You are talking about phone support, I have been unfortunate enough to spend close to 30minutes on phone with godaddy staff and still not get the issue sorted. And I have been in a situation where I sent a support ticket to Namecheap and got the issue sorted within 15mins. So if I was to review the two, would I rate Godaddy support above Namecheap just because of some phone numbers manned by some condescending and ill-trained goons?

I still have domains with Godaddy but I find myself pulling up the Namecheap website for any new domain I want to register. Godaddy hardly crosses my mind these days.

And for the SOPA issue, Namecheap was not the only company that capitalised. Besides the bigger crises that Godady had was not even the SOPA issue but the time he was shown on video in Zimbabwe shooting Elephants for sport and making fun of the whole thing. He later explained that he had authority from the Zimbabweans as the elephants were destroying farms in an already impoverished Nation. That was the first issue that hit Godaddy and the first cause of the exodus(though I felt it was stupid for the Americans to value animal life over human lives). I am happy Europeans didnt get sucked into that nonsense.

Bottomline is that in everything, people have a choice. You may not see anything wrong in Godaddy trying to make you buy stuff you dont want when you just need to buy your one domain and get out for crying out loud. You may like the overcomplicated and overcrowded interface at Godaddy but some others may just want a simple, no-nonsense checkout experience.
You may even not have issues with Godaddy not giving as much time as Namecheap and many others for you to renew your domain after it expires and on the other hand , hold the domain for the longest periods of time after the acceptable redemption period(sometimes up to 80days). Namecheap especially, and some others will give you up to 30 days(some times 40) to renew it and will not hold on to it for as long as Godaddy after redemption period.

So its about who treats me better and not who has a larger portfolio.
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by soloqy: 12:31am On May 12, 2012
Cause if you are concentrating on numbers to judge the service, then I see no reason you should recommend Namesilo.

Namesilo on Facebook : 308 likes

Namecheap on Facebook : 60, 962 likes.
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by legalwealth(m): 10:35pm On Jul 10, 2012
Thanks to everyone...
Re: Godaddy Vs Namecheap by nhalauxehoi: 8:32am On Nov 05, 2013
vote Godaddy !

(1) (Reply)

Choosing The Right Domain Name For Your Blog / Cyber Monday 50% Discount On All Shared Hosting Plan With Free .com.ng Domain / 5 Simple Tips To Become A Successful Blogger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.