Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,298 members, 7,860,730 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:05 PM

Finding Peace In The Midst Of Trials And Tribulations - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Finding Peace In The Midst Of Trials And Tribulations (788 Views)

Christmas Address: Pope Prays For Peace In Nigeria, Condemns Religious Violence / "Why Does God Allow Us To Gothrough Trials And Tribulations?" / The Pale Horse Of Apocalypse Unleashed In The Midst Of Egyptian Riot! (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Finding Peace In The Midst Of Trials And Tribulations by naslinks(m): 5:05pm On May 08, 2012
MEDITATION OF THE DAY(Scripture: John 14: 27-31)
THEME:FINDING PEACE IN THE MIDST OF TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS

Reading today’s Gospel passage, we might be tempted to ask, “Wasn’t Jesus fooling His disciples when He promised to give them peace?” Didn’t they all get the opposite of peace — namely trouble, rejection, persecution and eventually a cruel death? Just read today’s First Reading about some of St. Paul’s very bad experiences on one of his missionary journeys. Wasn’t St. Paul more honest when he told his newly converted Christians, “We all have to experience many hardships before we enter the kingdom of God”? What did Jesus mean when He promised peace? That He did not mean what we understand as peace becomes clear when we listen well to what He said next, “My peace I give you, a peace the world cannot give.”
In the Bible, peace never means simply the absence of trouble. It means something that is good for a person, even if it means trouble. The peace which the world offers is very often a peace of compromise, a peace which comes from avoiding trouble and from refusing to face difficulties. The peace which Jesus offers is different. He Himself faced trouble, persecution and even death. And He was aware that His followers also would experience similar difficulties because they would go into a hostile world and proclaim values opposite to those of the world. Confrontation would be unavoidable.
What Jesus promised His disciples – and us – is an inner peace that is so profound that no trouble and problem could disturb. It is grounded in the assurance of the Lord’s love and constant presence. When I was a child and felt afraid of the dark, all fear was gone when my mother accompanied me. It is the same inner peace that gives the strength to face problems in life.
Pagans were puzzled when they saw Christians being tortured and then dying with a song of praise on their lips. If our troubles disturb us, it might mean we have to deepen our trust in the Lord’s presence.

PRAYER:"Lord Jesus, may your peace be always with me. May no circumstance, trouble, or vexation rob me of the peace which passes all understanding. You, alone, O Lord, are my Peace. May I always reside in that peace by believing your word and by doing your will.”

(1) (Reply)

A Covenant Practitioners! / When Is The End Of Times? / Is The Holyspirit Really For Speaking In Tongues Alone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.