Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% (9054 Views)

Cash Going To States From FAAC Rises by 32% On Fear Of Buhari / MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops / 50 Debtors Owe 32% Of Bank Loans – Emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by cheikh: 7:41pm On May 08, 2012
Bloomberg[/b]the Business TV channel, today(o8/o5/12, reports - "Nigerians Out-shop the Americans" in the UK. The report also stated that the shopping spree is oil fuelled revenue. Nigerians achieved such feat by 32% over the Americans.

My fellow NLs, please make me understand and bear the confusion such "sarcastic" report on our much maligned and beloved country is about.
(1) Is it a report to be very [b]proud
of as a citizen of a relatively very poor (Nigeria) is now "out-shopping" the Americans in UK?
(2) Is it that the Nigerians are back in their usual old ways of Profligacy of the military era or the bad habits of old never really disappeared?
(3) is it that corruption has become more democratic or diffused that every tom and mary can now afford to spend approximately £450 each conservatively against the Arabs who on average spent about £1000 according to the report.
(4) Is it the kind of headlines and pathetic "consumerism" we should be aspiring to as Africans bearing in mind the pathetic state of the country in relation to those countries we are "out-shopping. Please help me understand sad.
It is said - "old habits die hard" but have we not learnt anything or are we not aware of our parlous condition as a people? Please keep in mind that the "out shopping" was not for capital goods.
I will appreciate disparate views/opinions from knowledgeable NLs on such financial and economic matters. I am truly at a loss my good people. Oya grin cap28. Ekt_Bear, Gbawe, Katsumoto, Kilode?!, Kobojunkie, Onlytruth, Reference, Sagacious grin Sagamite -et al please help me understand some of our idiosyncrasy
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by OAM4J: 8:05pm On May 08, 2012
hmnnnn
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 08, 2012
Basically, things are cheaper in US than the UK - and it's obvious Americans would rather shop in their country, than spend twice the amount on the same products in the UK..

That's common logic, much ado about nothing. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Olaone1: 8:23pm On May 08, 2012
cheikh: [b] I am truly at a loss my good people. Oya grin cap28. Ekt_Bear, Gbawe, Katsumoto, Kilode?!, Kobojunkie, Onlytruth, Reference, Sagacious grin Sagamite -et al please help me understand some of our idiosyncrasy

grin
Funny guy!

I am sure Ekt will oblige you. wink He's an Ekiti warrior. I am waiting for him.

Gotta say I enjoy his posts these days. wink A really good analyst, that guy! Oya!

Kobojunkie will be here too.
Kilode?!? . . . not sure

Cap28? He loves topics like this. Expect an epistle, supported by many LK soundbites cheesy
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Kilode1: 8:32pm On May 08, 2012
According to the article:
In Nigeria, there is very little formal retail

Cheikh,

My bro, let us look on the bright side. This is the time for us to work hard and bring foreign retailers and their goods to Nigeria cheesy

Especially in the North, since the article specifically mentioned Hausa as one of the languages UK stores now display alongside Chinese and Arabic. I guess we all make more money now. No be so?

Also, we now have more influence with the west, remember what they say?: Customer is King.

China produces, Oyinbo people sell, We buy. grin

http://sfgate.bloomberg.com/SFChronicle/Story?docId=1376-M3CN570UQVI901-7QE2447HQG08CEPUEIUR1TBTF0

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Olaone1: 8:36pm On May 08, 2012
Gbawe will inform us why Fashola is about to reverse that. wink

Onlytruth will inform us that most of the products come from the East. cheesy

Sagamite grin will surely find a cretin in there. E.g. a politician or an oil mogul grin
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by ektbear: 9:21pm On May 08, 2012
No clue man..I can speculate, but without more information it'd just be a shot in the dark.

I don't even know if this is a persistent trend or a recent one, which Nigerians they counted when they did the study, etc.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by cheikh: 3:45pm On May 09, 2012
ekt_bear
I don't even know if this is a persistent trend or a recent one, which Nigerians they counted when they did the study, etc.

It is a recent one and a persistent trend. Besides, it's a tiny minority of spend thrift and profligate Nigerians that are earning us such "notoriety". The previous large pool of "shopping" Nigerians have shrunk since Lucky Joe but the lucky few amongst his shopping gang, have upped the ante in their crass consumerism. Don't forget he ordered four presidential jets in one fell swoop as his first goal in office. The minister- (Dieziani) owns/maintains a Rolls Royce in he UK sad. They make the military look like amateurs.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by cheikh: 3:57pm On May 09, 2012
shymmex
Basically, things are cheaper in US than the UK - and it's obvious Americans would rather shop in their country, than spend twice the amount on the same products in the UK..

Tourists(Americans) don't exactly think in terms of costs/price when visiting their "ancestral" homeland(Europe). That logic does not sway their decision/judgement most of the times. Nigerians could easily shop for better value else where if "reason" or "logic" was employed by "out- shopping" shocked persons.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by cheikh: 4:02pm On May 09, 2012
Kilode?!
This is the time for us to work hard and bring foreign retailers and their goods to Nigeria

You may be right but I don't envisage such rush any time soon. The savvy South Africans are most likely to "invade" and take over our retail market.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Ejine(m): 4:41pm On May 09, 2012
Ola one: Gbawe will inform us why Fashola is about to reverse that. wink

Sagamite grin will surely find a cretin in there. E.g. a politician or an oil mogul grin

Dede1 will most definitely give us another splendid reason why we should push for the immediate dissolution of the cesspit grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by achi4u(m): 5:00pm On May 09, 2012
we are really clambing the lader,but they said we are still living under a dollar($1)per a day.
abeg who calculate this thing?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by igbo2011(m): 7:07am On May 10, 2012
This i BAD news. Why don't we PRODUCE and CONSUME in AFRICA!! This is why we are poor as hell. All we have are resources and we DONT control it. We are economic LAVE> We make white people SOOOO much money. We by there good, we work in their companies we build thier WEALTH!!! We have no WEALTH!!! This is a worldwide black problem. WAKE UP!!! Buy in Nigerian, buy African product. www.nigerianedp.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY5ASb16dts

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by MrGlobe(m): 5:05pm On May 10, 2012
So how many Americans are in the Uk and tally it with the Nigerian population there. The writer is clearly on Crack. I'd have expected [b]Nigerians in the Uk shop more than Uk citizens in the uk [/b]Rubbish angry
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by GeorgeD1(m): 5:10pm On May 10, 2012
this is hardly surprising. afterall, the only thing we know how to do as a people is shop, shop, and shop!!! grin
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by OK2NV3: 5:13pm On May 10, 2012
Nigerians are also notorious over-luggage luggers in airports second only to cheap Indians who stock up on curry when travelling abroad, so this report maybe true. But most Americans don't need to shop in the U.K. (or anyplace else on the planet since their markets are cheaper due to the dollar crash) w goods and services are overpriced by layers of Tax and also most Americans either travel on business and the few tourist that ever show up are usually young adults who start their backpacking adventure across europe in London. The Americans are second only to Germans as big tippers. They prefer to dine and wine their way through their foreign holidays.
Nigerians mix business as always with pleasure and coming from a place where everything is imported stocking up and making up on your travels makes much sense.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by redsun(m): 5:24pm On May 10, 2012
Mr. Globe:
So how many Americans are in the Uk and tally it with the Nigerian population there. The writer is clearly on Crack. I'd have expected [b]Nigerians in the Uk shop more than Uk citizens in the uk [/b]Rubbish angry

They are not talking about nigerians living in the uk,but about rogue nigerians like dem obj,atiku,anenih,bankole and their cohorts that visits from nigeria with loads of stolen wads. Monies they didnt sweat for,blood money that are very easy to spend wastefully.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Henry40: 5:37pm On May 10, 2012
Kilode?!:
According to the article:

Cheikh,

My bro, let us look on the bright side. This is the time for us to work hard and bring foreign retailers and their goods to Nigeria cheesy

Especially in the North, since the article specifically mentioned Hausa as one of the languages UK stores now display alongside Chinese and Arabic. I guess we all make more money now. No be so?

Also, we now have more influence with the west, remember what they say?: Customer is King.

China produces, Oyinbo people sell, We buy. grin

http://sfgate.bloomberg.com/SFChronicle/Story?docId=1376-M3CN570UQVI901-7QE2447HQG08CEPUEIUR1TBTF0

Can I get a link to this "article"? If this is true, then the Brits are dumber than I thought!! These other languages are not even LATIN BASED!!, but Hausa IS!!

An Hausa man that can read written Hausa based on English alphabets and significant influence from English pronunciations can't read English? undecided
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by cheikh: 5:53pm On May 10, 2012
Kilode?!
This is the [b]time for us to work hard [/b]and bring foreign retailers and their goods to Nigeria

I am tired of working too hard grin bro, especially after looking around us with little results etc. I am not korean, so how hard do I have to work in order to achieve the minimum result in Naija? Our patience is running out- very "thin" indeed grin grin.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by cheikh: 6:01pm On May 10, 2012
Mr. Globe
So how many Americans are in the Uk and tally it with the Nigerian population there. The writer is clearly on Crack. I'd have expected Nigerians in the Uk shop more than Uk citizens in the uk Rubbish

Mr. Globe please learn to read and understand the context of the "story". It's about visiting Nigerians, Americans and Arabs(short-term visitors) not about residents(Nigerians) in UK. wink cool
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by ikeyman00(m): 6:02pm On May 10, 2012
@@@@@@@@

who doesnt know by now they hausa come over to drink beer and shagg and later come back to naija to talk about shaira

what do u think these governors do in abuja ehh singing right? hm
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Nebeuwa(m): 6:04pm On May 10, 2012
Why should we Americans shop at some overpriced store in the UK?

Every brand UK has, we it have here in the United States.

I do not think Nigerians should place their laurels on this news.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by ikeyman00(m): 6:14pm On May 10, 2012
^^^ u american ? are u somalian american

just curious ooo; not lookin for atomic bomb
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by basher(m): 6:23pm On May 10, 2012
I'm afraid this topic is a bit of a red herring!

It's simply a case of Nigerians wanting to buy quality products at decent prices. I've seen people coming to shop in London with budgets ranging from a few hundred pounds to hundreds of thousands of pounds. They want a good deal and want to be sure of what they are buying. Apparently, these things are way overpriced in Nigeria ( where they are available & quality can be guaranteed ). If every American who wanted to buy quality products had to come to London, then they'll probably be outshopping Nigerians 100-1!
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Nebeuwa(m): 6:35pm On May 10, 2012
ikeyman00: ^^^ u american ? are u somalian american

just curious ooo; not lookin for atomic bomb

I am Nigerian/African-American.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Killz1(m): 6:41pm On May 10, 2012
Na for these kind things Nigeria dey carry first. . . Arrant Nonsense!
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Emaino(m): 7:01pm On May 10, 2012
In a land of consumers, what do you expect.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Bay1970(m): 7:13pm On May 10, 2012
Why this topic made it to the front page, me I no know.
I do not know why an American should shop goods in UK, most of the goods are from
American coy AND VERY CHEAP IN THE STATES. You guys must be kinding. Nigerians shop
in UK because they have nothing in their country. [b]
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by Nobody: 8:14pm On May 10, 2012
Ola one: Gbawe will inform us why Fashola is about to reverse that. wink

Stay off the ish grin
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by redsun(m): 8:31pm On May 10, 2012
Bay1970: Why this topic made it to the front page, me I no know.
I do not know why an American should shop goods in UK, most of the goods are from
American coy AND VERY CHEAP IN THE STATES. You guys must be kinding. Nigerians shop
in UK because they have nothing in their country. [b]

The issue is not about being in competition with americans but about how corrupt nigerians waste hard earned stolen foreign exchange that could have thousands of helpless infants in nigeria if well spent.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by redsun(m): 8:35pm On May 10, 2012
redsun:

The issue is not about being in competition with americans but about how corrupt nigerians waste hard earned stolen foreign exchange that could havesaved thousands of helpless infants in nigeria if well spent.
Re: Nigerians Outshop Americans By 32% by narttis1: 9:50pm On May 10, 2012
thanks to the nigerian ladies

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osun Election: Adetokunbo Oluwatoki Is APGA Governorship Candidate / Convention: APC Governors Propose Feb 26, Al-makura, Musa Lead Chairman Race / PDP Moves To Rebuild, Seeks Consensus For New Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.