Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

The Correct History Of Edo? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Correct History Of Edo? (9015 Views)

Buhari Will Stop Export Of Edo Prostitutes Overseas – Aisha Buhari / Pictures Of Jubilation In Front Of Edo Government House / Oshiomole Advises GEJ To Stay Clear Of Edo Gubernatorial Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by SEFAGO(m): 6:33pm On May 29, 2012
Nigerians are hilarious man

They all wanna claim to be in one way or form linked to Egypt. The Edo too lol while they consider the Yoruba Far-East Story a myth too.

The importance of the emergence of the tree before man on earth is not lost on modern science, which recognizes that without the tree manufacturing oxygen, life on earth would have been impossible. Modern science has also confirmed the Bini cosmology that birds, insects etc preceded man to earth. The Bini myth of creation was earth based in scope.

LOL. Now I understand why Yoruba people consider this an agenda. It seems like the Bini are not so different from Yoruba afterall, they possess some sort of wacked superego, and they just wanna claim divinity and uniqueness.

Abeg people should also focus on the Benin written history that there kings descended from some anthromorphic God
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by Obalufon: 3:07am On Jun 16, 2012
BE PROUD OF OMO ODUA "YORUBA" .OUR HISTORY AND CIVILIZATION IS HIGHLY REVERED IN THE WORLD.
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by fstranger6: 3:51am On Jun 16, 2012
SEFAGO: Nigerians are hilarious man

They all wanna claim to be in one way or form linked to Egypt. The Edo too lol while they consider the Yoruba Far-East Story a myth too.

LOL. Now I understand why Yoruba people consider this an agenda. It seems like the Bini are not so different from Yoruba afterall, they possess some sort of wacked superego, and they just wanna claim divinity and uniqueness.

Abeg people should also focus on the Benin written history that there kings descended from some anthromorphic God

Thats the only reason you wrote this post. Admit it Bi/t/c/h!
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by macof(m): 1:02pm On Oct 18, 2014
The 'ooni of IFE' in this article is different frm the one I have frm oral tradition!
according to my oral source, 'Ooni' in Original Ijesa language means ' Uho ni' that is 'he is a gateman'. The Uho (a gateman to the house of Oranmiyan) was left as the keeper of the house after all the Oranmiyan children had dispersed to various places before the coming back Obokun, who had gone to fetch the sea water for the treatment of the Oranmiyan's blindness!

Where do you people get these lies from?
Bunch of jobless morons
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by macof(m): 1:03pm On Oct 18, 2014
The OP made good points except the part when he began telling Yoruba history too, such ignorance in those parts

And why do Southern Nigerians claim Egyptian origin like this?
Ever asked urself where Egyptians came from?
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by macof(m): 1:22pm On Oct 18, 2014
Arosa:

I thought the first Ooni is Oduduwa, when he died non of his children where around to take over from him. So the old tradition of the Yorubas and edo took effect: It requires that the oldest man in village be made king when there is no king, and the oldest man in the village at that time was the gate-man. undecided
Arosa:

It's clear now that Oduduwa/Izoduwa was never named OonI. Rather it was the gate-man that became the first ooni .

grin grin what are we gonna do about ignorance like this?
Ooni is a gateman cheesy

Yoruba history is really getting lost...smh
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by Arosa(m): 4:11pm On Oct 18, 2014
macof:

grin grin what are we gonna do about ignorance like this?
Ooni is a gateman cheesy

Yoruba history is really getting lost...smh

'Ignorance is the only thing that is certain', when it comes to the true history of Oduduwa given the fact that there was no written records of events at that time.
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by macof(m): 9:51pm On Oct 18, 2014
Arosa:

'Ignorance is the only thing that is certain', when it comes to the true history of Oduduwa given the fact that there was no written records of events at that time.

There doesn't have to be written records to know that. Nigeria lacks historians that's the problem
And besides many people are losing interest in history now
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by Arosa(m): 11:45am On Oct 19, 2014
macof:

There doesn't have to be written records to know that. Nigeria lacks historians that's the problem
And besides many people are losing interest in history now

I do not disagree on the fact that Nigeria lacks credible historians, however I will like to make my stands on our history known. Most of our history today is based on legends (not true history). Because any story passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth is called folk tale. (they are usually inaccurate and nonfactual.) There will be an awakening of Nigerians soon, regarding our history. undecided undecided
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by macof(m): 6:46pm On Oct 19, 2014
Arosa:

I do not disagree on the fact that Nigeria lacks credible historians, however I will like to make my stands on our history known. Most of our history today is based on legends (not true history). Because any story passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth is called folk tale. (they are usually inaccurate and nonfactual.) There will be an awakening of Nigerians soon, regarding our history. undecided undecided

Yoruba history is passed orally...that's tradition
Even till now, Nobody would write an authentic book on Yoruba history without going round Yorubaland to get oral tales.

History isn't like a movie script you can write sitting in your bedroom
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by skyeboy98(m): 7:28pm On Oct 19, 2014
Pls oooo how many days will it take me to finish reading this thing.
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by Arosa(m): 8:45pm On Oct 19, 2014
macof:

Even till now, Nobody would write an authentic book on Yoruba history without going round Yorubaland to get oral tales.

Nobody thinks history is like movie script, neither is it based on oral tales alone. It take a lot of research based on corroborating evidence.
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by macof(m): 10:05pm On Oct 19, 2014
Arosa:

Nobody thinks history is like movie script, neither is it based on oral tales alone. It take a lot of research based on corroborating evidence.

Bro. Research on wat? Isn't it the oral history that forms the object being researched?

the reason why I hate books and online article on Yoruba history is that they don't go in deep on the story. Many people jst form things outta their head to fill the plank pages
Do you know many people don't know Ooni is the first son from oduduwa's household?
but many books only point his mother being a slave without knowing that his grandfather was Oduduwa

Books can't tell u everything because most writers don't travel well enough to find out the full story from different Towns. No one town knows all of Yoruba history

So ur research should be based on oral history because that's the purest form passed from generations to generations

Another factor is that many parts of our history are hidden in cults where if u want to know this secret u have to join and be initiated. How many so called historians are initiated into Ifa or Egungun or Ogboni??

1 Like

Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by kingston277(m): 3:02am On Oct 20, 2014
macof:

Bits of Yoruba history were captured from aroko aswell. Aroko is a form a written record.
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by Arosa(m): 2:34pm On Oct 20, 2014
macof:

Bro. Research on wat? Isn't it the oral history that forms the object being researched?

the reason why I hate books and online article on Yoruba history is that they don't go in deep on the story. Many people jst form things outta their head to fill the plank pages
Do you know many people don't know Ooni is the first son from oduduwa's household?
but many books only point his mother being a slave without knowing that his grandfather was Oduduwa

Books can't tell u everything because most writers don't travel well enough to find out the full story from different Towns. No one town knows all of Yoruba history

So ur research should be based on oral history because that's the purest form passed from generations to generations

Another factor is that many parts of our history are hidden in cults where if u want to know this secret u have to join and be initiated. How many so called historians are initiated into Ifa or Egungun or Ogboni??

Archaeological research is one of the things I had in mind, we need to dig-out/discover relevant artefact to collaborate oral stories. (I know! don't tell me, Nigeria is not a nation that encourages archaeology.) And finally if I were a historian I would not mind the initiation into Ifa prist hood. It's part of the research work. grin
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by macof(m): 7:50pm On Oct 20, 2014
kingston277:

Bits of Yoruba history were captured from aroko aswell. Aroko is a form a written record.

Aroko to the best of my knowledge is based on symbolism...objects used strategically to pass a message

Can we call that writing?
Re: The Correct History Of Edo? by kingston277(m): 5:59pm On Oct 23, 2014
macof:

Aroko to the best of my knowledge is based on symbolism...objects used strategically to pass a message

Can we call that writing?
It is also known as Yoruba Hieroglyphics, for reason that it largely reads like Egyptian or Mayan hieroglyphics.
https://www.nairaland.com/1829695/aroko-yoruba-hieroglyphics

A poster name TerraCotta gave a link on the African Script thread to a google book that had an archaeologist explaining this in detail before the NL hack occurrence. I have to see if I can track it down now as the post is no longer in the cache.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

500 Additional Policemen Deployed To Anambra / Cross River Assembly Orders Political Appointees To Denounce Cultism / Crowd Hails Adams Oshiomhole During APC Presidential Rally In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.