Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here (50254 Views)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Uniben Faculty Of Education Aspirants Meet Here / Uniport 2011/2012 Newly Admitted Student And Aspirants Meet Here:: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by pcicero(m): 11:54am On May 11, 2012
rhamzus:

UNIBEN PG form is out, their link is below
https://uniben-kofa.waeup.org/applicants/pgft2012/register

IMHO, this doesn't look like a genuine website of a government owned tertiary institution in Nigeria. I believe it should be something like http://.oauife.edu.ng as an example. Just warning folks to be wary!

@Tintin, you are doing great. Keep it up sis!
@ MarcAnthon, thanks for the info but will appreciate if we can get more updates and links. Sometimes, leads can be more helpful than Google. I have an Executive MBA (Marketing) from OAU and I'm still considering studying abroad. Though I've been thinking of Canada but I learnt the school fees are quite steep.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Afokeakpo: 12:05pm On May 11, 2012
Guys am a medical doctor in delta state. I want to do a master programme. I love any programme in engineering. And a school around me. Pls advice! You can email me- afokeakpo@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Flaix(f): 12:06pm On May 11, 2012
twaintoy: Thanks Tanimola, i was wondering too because mass communication is under social sciences while english is under arts, on the other hand, some schools have mass comm under arts although i went to a private school and we have ours under social sciences which is B.sc. Anyway, i am planning to go for masters in mass comm and specializing in Advert and Public Relations.

I also went to a private University and I studied Mass Communication, but someone advised me to go for Masters in Mass Communication and major in print. Please, what's you take on this because it sounded funny to me, i was thinking in the line of an MBA or something.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Flaix(f): 12:06pm On May 11, 2012
twaintoy: Thanks Tanimola, i was wondering too because mass communication is under social sciences while english is under arts, on the other hand, some schools have mass comm under arts although i went to a private school and we have ours under social sciences which is B.sc. Anyway, i am planning to go for masters in mass comm and specializing in Advert and Public Relations.

I also went to a private University and I studied Mass Communication, but someone advised me to go for Masters in Mass Communication and major in print. Please, what's your take on this because it sounded funny to me, i was thinking in the line of an MBA or something.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by saintugo(m): 12:18pm On May 11, 2012
Sijo01:

correct info!

Pls do u hv an idea of d school fees?
I intend goin 4 Pub. Admin. Hv filld d form but yet to printout d e.transt paymnt slip. Jst wnt to b sure of hw much d whol progm wil cost.

MA DEAR DONT KNW FOR NW BUT WILL MAKE ENQUIRIES FROM MA FORMER CMATES IN THE PROGRAM NW, AND WILL GET BACK AT YA
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Taiw(m): 12:52pm On May 11, 2012
i have a cgpa of 2.8/5.0 in physics.which of these schools will let me do a masters in any I.T related course or in elect/elect engineering without a pg diploma?and when is FUTA form coming out?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by FunmyKemmy(f): 12:53pm On May 11, 2012
My friend holds HND (Sec. Studies). He will be finishing his MBA (Marketing) by August 2012 and wishes to be a lecturer in a University. Kindly advise him on how to go about it. Thanks.

I need a reply on the above please.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Osezua: 1:06pm On May 11, 2012
please does unilag offer PGD in Civil Engineering? If yes, do they also accept HND (upper credit) for PGD?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by MarcAnthon(m): 1:16pm On May 11, 2012
Pt Blank:

Thanks for the information. Been doing a search on Google for this. Can you give us any website(s) where one can access the scholarship?

And for the other guys that asked also, there really is no websites that I know of. And any scholarship you get has to be AFTER you have gotten admission. It works like this:
You apply to the school(s) first. Pick two, three or more schools. Some Chinese guys I met said they applied to 20 or more schools. That is overly excessive because you pay application fees for each application which is from $40 to about $200 depending on the pedigree of the school. At this point you may also want to hold off applying until you write your GRE.
Write GRE. Do your best to prepare well and get a great score. The score range that schools accept will vary depending on its pedigree and the course you want to do. After you get your scores, contact your department of interest via email and ask then if it meets their entry requirements. It's at this point that you may want to apply if it does so you don't waste your money.
Apply. You'll need to send your transcripts, recommendation letters and other docs over by courier or Nipost, so get your school to prepare it and be ready to mail stuff. They usually have application deadlines too, so don't be late. I would seriously ADVICE you apply to start in a fall semester. That is when the academic year begins and that's when they have monies allocated for funding students. If you apply for Spring semester (starting in January) you will hardly get any funding cos they'd all have been disbursed already.
Wait for them to get back to you, and if your application is successful, you are automatically considered (not offered) for whatever scholarships the department has. For most schools you don't need a separate scholarship application. If you don't get full scholarships you will most likely get a TA or RA position, and if not they may give you a small scholarship, like $1000 which qualifies you to pay In-State rates which is much more affordable. In which case after your first semester you should be able to secure a TA or RA position.

So you see it takes faith to start and it's rather expensive I most add - that's the downside, along with most masters program in the US being two year long programs. GRE, application fees, sending transcripts and docs over - it's expensive if you aren't currently working or has someone that can support, but at the end it's worth it. You'll get excellent education for free, or just paying a little cos like I said before I haven't met any masters student that paid his/her way through the program.

The school you apply to matters too(concerning funding) cos not all schools are rich. So check for the top 50 or so schools in the US colleges ranking [url]http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp%2B50[/url] But I must warn that the higher the school is in the ranking, the more competitive getting in will be.

Btw, there are also Nigerian scholarships like the Mobil and PTDF scholarships. You can also apply for those, but I think you still have to have admission before u can.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Sweetjoe(m): 1:18pm On May 11, 2012
hardbody: @ Paleo

You need to improve your written english except you are planning on running Masters programmes in French and German
And u think ur de best with that drawing u have above,...nonsense!
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 1:21pm On May 11, 2012
economia: this question is yet to be answered. Nairaland the land of intelectual. Long live nairaland, long live nairalanders.

Hello economia,

Eboyin State University PG Director
Dean School of postgraduate Studies
Phone:08035431952
Email:snragwu@yahoo.com
Source: http://www.ebsu-edu.net/contactus.php

Google the rest.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by TinTin18(f): 1:34pm On May 11, 2012
FunmyKemmy: My friend holds HND (Sec. Studies). He will be finishing his MBA (Marketing) by August 2012 and wishes to be a lecturer in a University. Kindly advise him on how to go about it. Thanks.

Your friend will have to find out from lecturers in that area to know what his chances are. If he's doing his MBA, he might as well speak to one of his tutors about his career plans. I think that will be the best thing to do (my opinion)

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by TinTin18(f): 1:39pm On May 11, 2012
maasoap: @T22,
is it possible for someone who study Agricultural Economics apply for Master Degree in Economics without PGD?

Be proactive and contact the department directly to find out what their requirements are. Seeing as you studied Agricultural Economics, it might be a case of going through the modules you took to see if all the prerequisites have been covered and if you will need to take pre-master classes. Like I mentioned before, you're better of speaking to the course director or someone at the department you wish to study.

Best of luck.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 1:41pm On May 11, 2012
Ishsoph: how abt doing the PGD/ACCA/ICAN/CIBN and pursuing MBA on-line as someone suggested here? And pls can you give me the full meaning of ACCA and CIBN as am aware that of ICAN. Tanx!

You need to be specific about what you want. MBA is not the same as the courses you initially said you were interested in. MBA is advisable if you have had a good professional experience. Nonetheless sha, there are still people who jump into it straight from undergraduate without any prior professional experience. If it is MBA you want, then I am not sure you need to do any PgDip or any prelim studies for that matter. MBA students come from very diverse backgrounds. That said, if I were you, I would do an MBA after more than 2 years of working.

ACCA--http://www2.accaglobal.com/about/
CIBN--http://www.cibng.org/

PgDip takes at most one year to complete. ACCA/ICAN takes much longer. ACCA/ICAN/CIBN are professional exams that prepare you to become a professional in accounting/banking. PgDip, on the other hand, serves as a way of deepening your knowledge in a field that you are not very vast in.

Following your previous submission, I suggest you go for the one year PgDip and then upgrade to Master's upon completing thePgDip. You can also start one of those professional exams. School work will not prevent you from acing professional exams. In fact, many accounting students became chartered accountants while still in year 2 of undergraduate studies.

Whichever choice you eventually choose to make, I wish you all the best with it.

T22.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Sijo01(f): 1:43pm On May 11, 2012
saintugo:

MA DEAR DONT KNW FOR NW BUT WILL MAKE ENQUIRIES FROM MA FORMER CMATES IN THE PROGRAM NW, AND WILL GET BACK AT YA

wil really appreciat any positiv info frm u. Tnx.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by TinTin18(f): 1:44pm On May 11, 2012
tanimola22:

Yes, there is. Even in some countries in core Europe. It is called Master 1 in places like France, Switzerland. It lasts for just one year. Only people who understand the system would know that you did not complete the second year of the Master's degree. Other people may not know since it is called Master 1.

So what degree are you awarded then? An MSc?

I'm just curious!
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 1:48pm On May 11, 2012
FunmyKemmy: My friend holds HND (Sec. Studies). He will be finishing his MBA (Marketing) by August 2012 and wishes to be a lecturer in a University. Kindly advise him on how to go about it. Thanks.

Becoming a lecturer in naija is not a big deal. At least as far as I am concerned, your friend can easily become one. There is less competition in the academic world in naija. The heavy weights are not competing for lecturing jobs in naija. This puts your friend at a nice advantage. smiley

Tell him to go and begin a PhD in business. From there, he will become a desirable candidate for the position of lecturer 2 at some decent naija schools.

I hope his MBA grade is good enough to begin a PhD or at least to begin an MPhil. Did he score up to 3.8 or 4.0 and above in his MBA?

T22.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 1:48pm On May 11, 2012
TinTin18:

So what degree are you awarded then? An MSc?

I'm just curious!

Master 1
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 1:51pm On May 11, 2012
Osezua: please does unilag offer PGD in Civil Engineering? If yes, do they also accept HND (upper credit) for PGD?

This is a good question. Go to the PG School and ask your question. This is advisable if you live in Lagos. The PG School is not far away from the first bus stop called Unilag gate. You won't stress too much. It is around the Faculty of Education. The secretary to the director of studies will be more than willing to answer your questions.

T22.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by pretykid(f): 1:54pm On May 11, 2012
Pls housemates,av filled d first step in unilorin admission process buh my application number avnt been sent..dunno wat to do..bsids ow much is the form plssssssss
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by TinTin18(f): 1:57pm On May 11, 2012
tanimola22:

Master 1

Is that a PGD or an MSc?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 1:58pm On May 11, 2012
Taiw: i have a cgpa of 2.8/5.0 in physics.which of these schools will let me do a masters in any I.T related course or in elect/elect engineering without a pg diploma?and when is FUTA form coming out?

You are very funny. You sound like one of my very, very great pals, in fact my childhood and best pal in the world, who thinks he can get something without paying a price.

I am not saying you shouldn't try your luck, but most top naija universities will require you to do a PgDip first. It is only in Physics that you may not have to do a PgDip.

Try many schools sha. Your luck could shine.

T22
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by pretykid(f): 2:00pm On May 11, 2012
BigBenoski: why would you need a masters from uniabuja? That's a glorified secondary school.

Uniabuja is d worst university so far...if I ws well informed,wudnt av wasted my 5k for the form last year...smh
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 2:14pm On May 11, 2012
TinTin18:

Is that a PGD or an MSc?

Graduate studies around the world are not necessarily classified according to PgDip or MSc. The UK system is not the only system in the world. Other countries have their own systems. The French system, for example, is quite different and there are many other different systems across the globe.

I have earlier stated what they call it. It is called Master 1 and some schools regularly give it to students when the students choose not to complete the second year Master's thesis. Schools in France are a perfect example. What people now make of it is according to their views. On paper, it is called Master 1 and I know people who have it and are regarded as Master's degree holders at their work places.

Again, there are other systems in the world. The UK system is just one of them. Some countries don't even know what a PgDip is; a PgDip is essentially more of an anglophone lingo.

T22
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Roughlen(m): 2:17pm On May 11, 2012
economia: This is a timely tread; i need states owned university in ebonyi, abia and enugu 4 post graduate diploma in statistics that will lead me to master in statistics.
this question is yet to be answered. Nairaland the land of intelectual. Long live nairaland, long live nairalanders.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Okimski: 6:45pm On May 10

Unizik, Awka offers PGD Statistics
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by FunmyKemmy(f): 2:23pm On May 11, 2012
@ TinTin18 and Tanimola22 Thanks so much.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by komols856: 2:33pm On May 11, 2012
pls i want to know if one can do master degree on medical microbiology on part time at UNILAG with been converted to full time student.cos some people say that you will buy pat time M.SC form but at end your lectures will be full time. pls say all u know about Unilag. yhank u
u can send ur reply to komols7496@gmail.com.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by TinTin18(f): 2:56pm On May 11, 2012
tanimola22:

Graduate studies around the world are not necessarily classified according to PgDip or MSc. The UK system is not the only system in the world. Other countries have their own systems. The French system, for example, is quite different and there are many other different systems across the globe.

I have earlier stated what they call it. It is called Master 1 and some schools regularly give it to students when the students choose not to complete the second year Master's thesis. Schools in France are a perfect example. What people now make of it is according to their views. On paper, it is called Master 1 and I know people who have it and are regarded as Master's degree holders at their work places.

Again, there are other systems in the world. The UK system is just one of them. Some countries don't even know what a PgDip is; a PgDip is essentially more of an anglophone lingo.

T22

I understand that it's called "Master 1". My question is what is its equivalent on a standard degree classification? No one has said the UK system is the only educational system in the world. If I was interviewing someone with a Master 1 qualification, I'll be curious to know what it is on a standard classification scale. If you know what it is, please let me know - everyday is a school day.

Many thanks.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by janita: 3:05pm On May 11, 2012
@all thanks alot but would like to know the cost of tuition fee for pgd computer science unilag.would like to know the cost before embarking on the journey. the website ad for unilag pgd school so i can pick other details from there. thanks all once again
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by purpose100(f): 3:25pm On May 11, 2012

With my little knowledge of academics in Nigeria, your friend may not be able to lecture with his MBA.
Why? MBA is a professional course,just like MPA. But if you want to go into academics,consider doing MSc in Business Administration.

If you notice some Universities advert for lecturing recruitement, they always indicate that MBA is not equivalent to MSC Business Admin. But in Universities that there is no competition sha oooh,he can lecture with the MBA.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by TinTin18(f): 3:42pm On May 11, 2012
purpose100:

With my little knowledge of academics in Nigeria, your friend may not be able to lecture with his MBA.
Why? MBA is a professional course,just like MPA. But if you want to go into academics,consider doing MSc in Business Administration.

If you notice some Universities advert for lecturing recruitement, they always indicate that MBA is not equivalent to MSC Business Admin. But in Universities that there is no competition sha oooh,he can lecture with the MBA.

I agree with you and you've made perfect sense. With the way things are in Naija, it's sometimes difficult to say what is acceptable or not. I agree with all you've writing.

Bless!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Roof Shot Of The University Of Calabar / University Of Port Harcourt Lecturer Caught Sexually Harassing A Female Student / SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.