Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,298 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death (11528 Views)

Weeds Overtake Rashidi Yekini’s House (Photos) / Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by samphem(m): 8:01pm On May 09, 2012
This nigeria we are is a country who values death more than live,pple are saying rashidi was paid for his service,is not a good idea he is an hero who has to be immotalised for his good job during his life time because of his service to humanity,nigeria must makes sure his children and wife eat the fruit of his labours
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by zumarock8(m): 8:02pm On May 09, 2012
Yekini, allegedly died on Friday after being forcefully whisked away by family members with some Islamic clerics on April 8 (Easter Monday) with claims that he was taken away to be cured of his insanity.

However, one of the aggrieved youths, Yomi Ojo, who claimed to be a friend to the deceased, said that there was no indication that Yekini was mentally imbalance at the time in question. According to him, “the family was not happy with him for sending all his tenants away and living alone in his expansive home without entertaining any of the family members and friends…I have known him for about seven years. Yekini…was a quiet and disciplined man. He loved keeping to himself. But at times he confided in me.”

Mr. Ojo further said “when they came for him, they chained his arms and legs and while struggling to break lose, he (Yekini) sustained bruises all over his body and was blood soaked.”

He explained that “All pleas to be set free fell on deaf ears. His mother, sister, Sekinat; and brother, Wasiu; with two Islamic clerics bundled him into a bus and drove off. He called for help while he was being driven away but those in the neighbourhood were helpless because it was a family issue. We never knew it could lead to his death.”

Another youth, Lasun Olonande, said, “Sometimes ago the family members came with a team of policemen to force him to go with them but he explained to the police that he was not mentally sick as alleged by the family. As a result of this he was left to go. He was an easy-going person and did not like flamboyant life. He was always giving to those in need. The beggars usually lined up in his house to take food.”

One of the aides of Senator Rashidi Ladoja, Nofiu Isiaka, popularly called ‘Aluta,’ who lives in the area, said, “He had girlfriends which he brought home once a while…If he was mad would the girls have agreed to go out with him? We are angry. We know that his house is not our property but we want our temper to die down before the family come around to fight over his inheritance.”

Meanwhile, the Oyo State government has set up an endowment fund for children of the late Nigerian ex-international, Rashidi Yekini. This was made known on Monday after the state executive council meeting by the Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Hon Dapo Lam-Adesina. According to him, the endowment fund, which will be strictly for the children of the late football star, would be managed in conjunction with the family of the deceased.

lets stop blamin the government for yekin's death

sorce http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/05/08/yekinis-death-blame-his-family-members-angry-ibadan-youths/
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by Dondbuzor: 8:06pm On May 09, 2012
crusufixo: Medicine after death !!!!!!!!. Are they saying that they were not aware of his condition when he was alive. Hmmm !!! SMH.

Well said.
I remember reading of d mans condition on some national dailies many months ago b4 his death.
Naija Can never cease to amaze.

Are all these hypocrites dolling out donations now with reckless abandon say they were not aware of his condition. Fools I must say.

I also remember reading recently a publication by his former team mate KANU blaming the nigerian govt.
But if I may ask, where was kanu and d rest of his colleagues when he needed them most?

Fools fools fools

1 Like

Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by peter2012: 8:31pm On May 09, 2012
that is good thing. But Nigeria should learn to honour heroes while they are alive not when they are dead. We have many neglected heroes eg the man who designed Nigeria flag, Green /white/Green.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by ogoebube(f): 8:34pm On May 09, 2012
mtcheww medicine after death
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by IYANGBALI: 8:50pm On May 09, 2012
kai these donations come dey make death to dey hungry me grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by member479760: 8:58pm On May 09, 2012
The guy passed away, life goes on, right now they are doing the right thing. one should expect other states to follow the donation including CBN. Sanusi where are you? Rashidi Yekini played for Nigeria and makes all happy.

RIP!
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by olusogo: 9:24pm On May 09, 2012
Yekini was not broke, he was satisfied with himself and all he achieved but the problem started when his mental status could not be ascertained. He started giving out his properties, paying people unnecessarily, and became sudden generous. He kept to himself and refused to talk to people, he probably soliloquized. These are signs signify psychological disorder. And this was when he needed every help. It seemed nobody cared to evert him of his predicament including government but some press who did it only to gossip and mock him, and not in good faith. At that time Yekini could not be able to help himself.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by WhoIGoAsk: 9:26pm On May 09, 2012
hope the promises they are making now will all be fulfilled
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by Babasessy(m): 9:29pm On May 09, 2012
'Thy labour of our hero's past shall never be in vain' I dully think all govt official should be made to read and study our National Anthem before being allowed to hold sensitive position.
Adieu, Rasheedi Yekini our true hero past.

Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by Babasessy(m): 9:32pm On May 09, 2012
Just look at the 'felele Ball' that adorned the corpse. What a shame to NFF or NFA, or what are they called.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by buoye1(m): 9:32pm On May 09, 2012
crusufixo: Medicine after death !!!!!!!!. Are they saying that they were not aware of his condition when he was alive. Hmmm !!! SMH !!!!!.
@least d family ll enjoy all d donations
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by tommykiwi(m): 10:01pm On May 09, 2012
THEY HAVE TRIED BUT SHOULD BE MORE FASTER IN SITUATION LIKE DIS NEXT TIME.....KUDOS TO THEM.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by Koikoi(m): 10:10pm On May 09, 2012
IYA NGBALI: kai these donations come dey make death to dey hungry me grin grin grin grin grin grin

angry
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by kelch(m): 10:22pm On May 09, 2012
This is our way always doing things at the wrong time.
Check out this its obviously better than facebook.
http://www.intichat.com/invite/user_13844/
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by babaowo: 11:28pm On May 09, 2012
zumarock8: Yekini, allegedly died on Friday after being forcefully whisked away by family members with some Islamic clerics on April 8 (Easter Monday) with claims that he was taken away to be cured of his insanity.

However, one of the aggrieved youths, Yomi Ojo, who claimed to be a friend to the deceased, said that there was no indication that Yekini was mentally imbalance at the time in question. According to him, “the family was not happy with him for sending all his tenants away and living alone in his expansive home without entertaining any of the family members and friends…I have known him for about seven years. Yekini…was a quiet and disciplined man. He loved keeping to himself. But at times he confided in me.”

Mr. Ojo further said “when they came for him, they chained his arms and legs and while struggling to break lose, he (Yekini) sustained bruises all over his body and was blood soaked.”

He explained that “All pleas to be set free fell on deaf ears. His mother, sister, Sekinat; and brother, Wasiu; with two Islamic clerics bundled him into a bus and drove off. He called for help while he was being driven away but those in the neighbourhood were helpless because it was a family issue. We never knew it could lead to his death.”

Another youth, Lasun Olonande, said, “Sometimes ago the family members came with a team of policemen to force him to go with them but he explained to the police that he was not mentally sick as alleged by the family. As a result of this he was left to go. He was an easy-going person and did not like flamboyant life. He was always giving to those in need. The beggars usually lined up in his house to take food.”

One of the aides of Senator Rashidi Ladoja, Nofiu Isiaka, popularly called ‘Aluta,’ who lives in the area, said, “He had girlfriends which he brought home once a while…If he was mad would the girls have agreed to go out with him? We are angry. We know that his house is not our property but we want our temper to die down before the family come around to fight over his inheritance.”

Meanwhile, the Oyo State government has set up an endowment fund for children of the late Nigerian ex-international, Rashidi Yekini. This was made known on Monday after the state executive council meeting by the Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Hon Dapo Lam-Adesina. According to him, the endowment fund, which will be strictly for the children of the late football star, would be managed in conjunction with the family of the deceased.

lets stop blamin the government for yekin's death

sorce http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/05/08/yekinis-death-blame-his-family-members-angry-ibadan-youths/
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by babaowo: 11:33pm On May 09, 2012
human right activist should ferify the cause of his death.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by ziccoit: 11:35pm On May 09, 2012
Some pple will ignore you while alive and after death ignore continua.
While this intervention is truly medicine after death, as pple rightly said, it is not totally unnecessary. So kudos to the donators.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by uchman77: 11:54pm On May 09, 2012
yekini has died, what matters now is h he lived his life when he was alive.God must surely judge all of us especially dos that knows his condition when he was alive only to start celebrating the dead wit donations. be prepare cos tommorro might yours.a word they say is enough 4 d wise.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by oluoma1: 12:01am On May 10, 2012
''AM SPEECHLESS''.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by oluoma1: 12:19am On May 10, 2012
''USA 1994 PLAYERS'' where are dey am asking? Sunday Oliseh, Finidi George, Austine Okocha, Daniel Amokachi, Emmanuel Amunike, Victor Ikpeba, Peter Rufai, Steven Keshi, Nwankwo Kanu, Augustine Eguavoen, Samson Siasia, Ike Shoronmu, and thier Coach, Clemence Westerhof and the rest of dem, where una dey. Even (NFF). Are u pple not ashamed. Am very very dissapointed walahi. May 5od help us. (R.I.P).
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by lovejo(m): 3:02am On May 10, 2012
The whole Nigeria government is a joke, Rashidi was promised a house since 1994 and they have not fulfill it and now they are adding another promise. Bunch of fool running Nigeria.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by Xtfield(m): 9:14am On May 10, 2012
I am at a loss at some of the comments I've read about Yekinni since he died. I do not see anything spectacularly heroic in playing for Nigeria. Consider that these players do not play for Nigeria for free. In their playing days, they travel at government expense, are fed at government expense and are paid match bonuses in foreign currency. They enjoy the spotlight and mingle with the high and mighty within and outside our shores. This is aside from the huge money they make from playing for their respective clubs. So where is the patriotism - for doing a job for which they get paid? What about Teachers, doctors, road sweepers etc? Are they less patriotic? Are they not national heroes? I think we need to realize that every Nigerian contributes to the development of the country and so no group should be treated as if they contribute more to the nation. While Yekini was playing for Nigeria, some guys were taking care of the National Stadium. Some others were driving the team to and from training. Some saw to the welfare of the players in other ways. Some were busy as supporters. All these are patriots. So how come we do not celebrate these ones when they die. I do not understand why donations should be made in government name to the family of a deceased footballer while retired teachers have not been paid their pensions for months! Footballers and other stars should learn to manage their finances and lives properly so they can leave worthy legacies for their children and family instead of waiting for government to do it for them. Some times ago, it was in the news that Mikel Obi was earning 40000 pounds (10 million Naira) weekly. How can he come back in 10 years tome after earning billions of Naira to expect government to spend taxes paid by poor pepper sellers and drivers to cater for him? Remember there are some graduate workers who will never handle Mikel Obi's weekly wage in 10 years! I for one do not pray that my family appeal to government to care for my children and family after my death! Let's leave the government out of our personal lives. Let government concentrate on public affairs of building roads, hospitals, schools and providing security. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by gegee(m): 9:52am On May 10, 2012
people never get the flowers when they can still smell them
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by Nobody: 9:57am On May 10, 2012
Melecine after death.

Mu che che che che che cheesy
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by bisiaet: 10:17am On May 10, 2012
Sorry what are all these mercy after death nonsense? What sort of silly donations are all these? Where were they when this man called Yekini was a "lunat lone rangers"? Now they have the cash to donate but the cash was not there then to help him out of his predicament? Rubbish!!!!!!

Abeg Yekini rest in peace forget about all these people who now see avenue to donate nonsense cash. Cash for what? Gift for what? Is it to rejoice his death or what?
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by mydestiny2: 10:52am On May 10, 2012
@ Xtfield.
U dey craze.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by member479760: 11:13am On May 10, 2012
Nigerians - na the family killed him because of his money! Yoruba with ogun.

somebody got to go jail.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by Xtfield(m): 11:41am On May 10, 2012
my destiny: @ Xtfield.
U dey craze.

There is nothing wrong in being crazy about the truth. I guess you expected me to go along with the sycophantic and opportunistic crowd. I beg to differ. Once again, footballers or music stars are not in any way more important than the ordinary Nigerian. They do not play for Nigeria for free. You will in fact be surprised at the extent some of them will go to wear the green white green shirt of Nigeria - visiting fake prophets, juju men and marabouts including several rituals. And yet they behave as if they are doing us a favour by playing for Nigeria. Let players invest their earnings wisely and stop buying toys which diminish in value after their death. Let current players know that they must change their lifestyle so that in death, their family members will not have to look up to government for assistance
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by Ninilowo(m): 1:37pm On May 10, 2012
MAAAADDDDDNNNNEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by stevenosa(m): 3:37pm On May 10, 2012
Medicine After Death - What a pity. Served your fatherland, abandoned by your fatherland, died in your fatherland and buried in your fatherland. Now, "THEY" are honouring him and dolling out millions. While he was still alive, how many of these people knew where he was living and what help did they rendered to him to keep him alive at least, to the age of 80 as promised by the Holy Book? Nigeria leaders needs to WAKE-UP and be prepared to honour those whom honour are due while they are still alive and not after their death. May the souls of our hero past rest in perfect peace. Amen.
Re: Honours And Donations Continue To Trail Rashidi Yekini’s Death by badesco(m): 3:59pm On May 10, 2012
Where are they when Rashidi Yekini is suffering and in dire need of their help? Nowhere. They are now showing off to convince the world that they care but unfortunately It is now belated and their donations will not be acceptable by God.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CAF Yet To Pay Super Eagles AFCON Prize Money - NFF / Barcelona Win Second WUCL With Fightback From 2 - 0 Down / Chelsea Set To Sign Aubameyang From Barcelona For £10m Plus Marcos Alonso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.