Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,918 members, 7,828,201 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage (16906 Views)

Mozambique Scraps Ban On Same-sex Marriage! / President Obama Announces Military Action Against Syria! / Obama Announces Hilary Clinton As Secretary Of States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 10, 2012
This topic is just too nasty and irritating. Am sooo disappionted in Obama
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by luckgames(m): 1:59pm On May 10, 2012
Bad timing
Next year would have being better
He will have big problem in the south
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by polokor60(m): 2:09pm On May 10, 2012
what has this so called obama achieved economically??nothing,during his tenure the us dollar was downgraded by standard organisations across the globe.how about his foreign policy?? zero.he came in spitting fire and brimestone about the topsy -turvy relationship between isreal and palestine,the story remains the same.i can see he is a desperate man seeking for unpopular votes.the AA are no longer sentimental about this dude(obama),so they care less if he wins or loses the forth coming election.obama listen and listen good ''majority carries the day''.north carollina should be your case study about the opinion of people with regards to gay unions in america.i repeat minorities like obama will have their say while majority like the voting public ll have their way..obama will be eating the same type of humble pie with his buddy sarkozy in no distant time.
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by Fhemmmy: 2:22pm On May 10, 2012
Nebeuwa: Even though I am personally against gay marriage in the United States due to scientific reasons instead of religious convictions; I have to admit Biden forced Obama's hand with his gaffe.

The United States believes in the separation of Church & State and I feel that same-sex couples should be given the chance of having civil unions. Marriage should be left in the realm of the church.

Then, He is not worth being a leader
This is one of the reasons why i admire George Bush
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by Kaiser5000: 2:23pm On May 10, 2012
The bottom line is that marriage or union or whatever name you call it has legal ramifications that are upheld by the state (Government). I believe this is about affording everyone this same right. Before you get married or go into a union, you have to go to the state to get a license that allows you to do so hence this is a right given to you by the state. This is also why when you decide to get out of this union you also need the state to give you permission to do this, this is how it works in a country where there are laws. This is why when you are married and die your partner has the right to inherit your property, or have rights when you decide to get a divorce.
All he simply did was to allow everyone to have these rights. He did not say he approved of their lifestyle or wished more people should live the same way so people should get off their high horses.
For those talking about the religious angle be rest assured we will all face judgment one day so why are you in a rush to judge now? He is not saying how they live is either right or wrong since he does not have the power to do so, all he is aying is that they have a right to live the way they want under the U.S constitution which he has sworn to uphold. I don't see people spitting the same venom when it comes to people cheating on their wives, getting divorced or having multiple wives. Aren't all sins the same?
This is just my personal opinion.

1 Like

Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by manny4life(m): 2:25pm On May 10, 2012
polokor60: what has this so called obama achieved economically??nothing,during his tenure the us dollar was downgraded by standard organisations across the globe.how about his foreign policy?? zero.he came in spitting fire and brimestone about the topsy -turvy relationship between isreal and palestine,the story remains the same.i can see he is a desperate man seeking for unpopular votes.the AA are no longer sentimental about this dude(obama),so they care less if he wins or loses the forth coming election.obama listen and listen good ''majority carries the day''.north carollina should be your case study about the opinion of people with regards to gay unions in america.i repeat minorities like obama will have their say while majority like the voting public ll have their way..obama will be eating the same type of humble pie with his buddy sarkozy in no distant time.

You see, your problem with your type is that, it's either your mischievous in your choice of words, OR plain ignorant- no offense. The $$$ was downgraded by standard organization across the globe, please o, unless I miss the memo, wasn't it ONLY S&P 500 that downgraded the $$$? How was that Obama's fault that Congress couldn't reach a deal on the Budget that was in turmoil for weeks?

You're here talking about Foreign policy, Hilary Clinton has achieved so much in bargaining than anyone else has. Yesterday PM Nantenyahu said that he's reached a deal in the party house (his party and opponent party have merged), so he's about to accept a deal with Palestinians and focus on IRAN. You need to read directly from the Washington Post. If you have been listening to foreign policies, Obama has led the western nations on ALL sanctions passed onto NK, Syria, and Iran. Talk about foreign poliy, under Obama, they have forget better relationships in the Middle-East, and Asia. In fact, why am I even going into details with you?

What about NC case study? Is it because NC passed a referendum to amend their state constitution to bar gay marriage? I laugh you because if you're current about the system going in, you'll know when that has passed, it will end up in litigation because the DOMA act is seeking to be repealed and "Don't ask, Don't tell" has been "FULLY" repealed with full authority from Congress. When DOMA is fully repealed, then we would know if NC state's constitution trumps the U.S. Constitution. Prime case of what is going on now in the Immigration - State of Arizona vs United States. The case was heard at Supreme Court last Wednesday.

Oh BTW, I hope the Supreme Court will accept the CA case - Perry vs Schwarzenegger, so they can decide once and for all, whether gay marriage is constitutional or not. Though I do not support it, but it will put a STOP on all these Republican states that just do as they want not understanding the rights and will of people.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, but please stop spreading false information around.
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by elliottibanga(m): 2:47pm On May 10, 2012
Fhemmmy:

George Bush is arguably the dumbest American president ever.

Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by analyticalman: 2:49pm On May 10, 2012
amazingly,obama is a great disappointment to america and generality of the world space.obama said he is a practising christian but his recent pronouncement on gay marriage has contradicted his firm belief in the word of God.as xtians,the word of God is our guide and finality to man's religionism.any body that goes against the word of God is summarily an antichrist.to this extent,i believe obama will soon meet his waterloo.[/color]
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by TheShopKeeper(m): 2:50pm On May 10, 2012
I think President Obama should have kept this as his personal opinion.
Now matter how he wants to get the votes of those gays and lesbians, this is not the right time to mention this.

It still baffles me why politicians tend to devote their time to useless policies and ideas like gay marriages, when more important and serious issues like the health education, economy, internal and external securities, should be at the forefront of their ideologies.

He will surely win by only by a very, very small margin. He has put himself in a tight corner with the statement and has given the RRepublicans an avenue to set their attack campaigns to overdrive.
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by femi4: 2:52pm On May 10, 2012
you keep referring to fornication, robbery etc as sin just like same sex marriage but the point here is that nobody as come out to legalised robbery, fornication etc the way US govt is trying to Legalised same sex marriage.
We disappove it like we do to other sins but we condemed it totally for trying to legalised the act. This has nothing to do with being hypocrite

1 Like

Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by BashMe1(m): 2:56pm On May 10, 2012
I av lost ma respect for this man already.... SMH. I hope Michel slaps dis insanity out of him. Ode Oshi
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by polokor60(m): 3:00pm On May 10, 2012
manny4life:

You see, your problem with your type is that, it's either your mischievous in your choice of words, OR plain ignorant- no offense. The $$$ was downgraded by standard organization across the globe, please o, unless I miss the memo, wasn't it ONLY S&P 500 that downgraded the $$$? How was that Obama's fault that Congress couldn't reach a deal on the Budget that was in turmoil for weeks?

You're here talking about Foreign policy, Hilary Clinton has achieved so much in bargaining than anyone else has. Yesterday PM Nantenyahu said that he's reached a deal in the party house (his party and opponent party have merged), so he's about to accept a deal with Palestinians and focus on IRAN. You need to read directly from the Washington Post. If you have been listening to foreign policies, Obama has led the western nations on ALL sanctions passed onto NK, Syria, and Iran. Talk about foreign poliy, under Obama, they have forget better relationships in the Middle-East, and Asia. In fact, why am I even going into details with you?

What about NC case study? Is it because NC passed a referendum to amend their state constitution to bar gay marriage? I laugh you because if you're current about the system going in, you'll know when that has passed, it will end up in litigation because the DOMA act is seeking to be repealed and "Don't ask, Don't tell" has been "FULLY" repealed with full authority from Congress. When DOMA is fully repealed, then we would know if NC state's constitution trumps the U.S. Constitution. Prime case of what is going on now in the Immigration - State of Arizona vs United States. The case was heard at Supreme Court last Wednesday.

Oh BTW, I hope the Supreme Court will accept the CA case - Perry vs Schwarzenegger, so they can decide once and for all, whether gay marriage is constitutional or not. Though I do not support it, but it will put a STOP on all these Republican states that just do as they want not understanding the rights and will of people.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, but please stop spreading false information around.
time will tell,it seems you love fairy tales very much but actions speak louder than words son wink
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by Kay17: 3:06pm On May 10, 2012
~Bluetooth:

I have not even talked about religion view here cuz it seems you want to make a point out of that.Technically,every society has a right to self-preservation even evolution trend has support the need of the continuity of life.Studies have even shown that homosexuality IS NOT genetical but as a result of environments people find themselves.
If people are not born gay/lesbians,how do they end up as one ? Since there is a possibility that gayism may affect normal human due to environmental factor.

I don't think any of such societal right u mentioned actually exists. Its oppressive and against the spirit of liberty to give such an imagined right above individual rights to freedom. The limit to human freedom is where it prevents another from exercising his own freedom.

Yes, everyone is a product of his environment, but everyone has the discretion to alter their personality in whatever manner they like. In line with civil freedom, everyone's judgment is deemed fit to exercise his rights
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by Kay17: 3:09pm On May 10, 2012
Besides religious beliefs are a big factor in the consideration gay rights
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by manny4life(m): 3:10pm On May 10, 2012
polokor60: time will tell,it seems you love fairy tales very much but actions speak louder than words son wink

You're right.. I don't speak fairy tales, I speak reality to folks like you jump on the train, hook line and sinker. Actually time has been telling and all those complaining have been seeing the outcome so far, EVEN IN THE COURTS...LOL grin grin grin cool cool cool
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by seguntijan(m): 3:16pm On May 10, 2012
Wen d world is coming to an end different strange thing will b invogue, mind you dnt b surprise if dis man win d nxt election. Just to remind my brothers and sisters in faith(ISLAM) Dhajjal in action beware
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 10, 2012
Delafruita:
you guys are pathetic.the man is expressing his opinion which coincidentally is shared by numerous people.am sure soon the 'religious" group will appear with their words:abominable,shameful,soddom&gomorrah etc

Opinion u say, U're pathetic. At the lowest level, same-sex-marriage isn't agreeable with the ears...even those involved can sense the wrong in the act.
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by Kay17: 3:27pm On May 10, 2012
analytical man: amazingly,obama is a great disappointment to america and generality of the world space.obama said he is a practising christian but his recent pronouncement on gay marriage has contradicted his firm belief in the word of God.as xtians,the word of God is our guide and finality to man's religionism.any body that goes against the word of God is summarily an antichrist.to this extent,i believe obama will soon meet his waterloo.[/color]

But the US and Nigeria are both multicultural nations! Not everyone is a Christian.
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by GAR3TH(m): 3:28pm On May 10, 2012
But just for the record, like I said before on this thread and others, WHAT DO GAY PEOPLE 3000 MILES AWAY CONCERN YOU. DOES THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY CRASH BECAUSE OF GAY PEOPLE OR DOES THE PRICE OF OIL TRIPLE OR IS CORRUPTION CAUSED BY GAY PEOPLE? WETIN CONCERN YOU ABOUT THE LIVES OF SOMEONE ELSE 3000 MILES AWAY OR EVEN YOUR NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR. NOTHING!!! people are just sticking their noises into arguments that wont even affect them nor the country. Thats just being an instigator and a bigot. If gay marriage is past or not or if obama approves of it or not who cares, life still goes on as usually and nothing will change. Hence why I and many others find it !funny that many people are so sentimental about this issue even though it does not involve them. this hole gay marriage thing is blown out of proportion by people who have nothing better to do.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by omofat: 3:31pm On May 10, 2012
I see the anti-gay crowd are out fighting already.

Live and let live
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by Tobiustobius: 3:51pm On May 10, 2012
I really don't know why people are getting sticks up their a$$es, about what other people stick up their a$$es. Is it your body? Are they chyking you? Live and let live, please.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by PrettyCindy(f): 3:51pm On May 10, 2012
What the hell is wrong with this man called Obama? First it was legalizing bestiality between soldiers and horses now this. Something tells me that he is an antichrist and doesn't care about doing the right thing morality wise. He is selling his soul all cos of presidency when he can be struck flat out by God a day after winning the election. *SMH* FOR AMERICA. May God forgive us all our sins cos we truely do not know what we are doing.
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by Sciencs(m): 4:12pm On May 10, 2012
I look 4ward 2d time wen ds animalistic behavior n total disregard 4life wil stop.....I stil dnt understand how n y any person regardless of his mental, social, moral n physical state of mind wil deem same-sex marriage fit as a way of life.
Considerin ds incredible way of thinkin by ds mentally-tormented set of pple.....I sumtimes can't blame Charles Darwin much (D writter of science evolution of man) 4 erroneously concluding dat man originated frm APE....because ds r idea dt can only be perfected by folks who share ds same sense of reasonin wit apes..
Meanwhile...I stil dnt get y d number one man of d most civilised country in world wil endorse such a disgustin manner of life.
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by bigsean(m): 4:32pm On May 10, 2012
sadyeek: Desperation, so this is the length he is willing to go not to loss the election. SMH

this guy no try, this would have been the perfect time to play the "osama card"
he played the card too early and now he's got no tangible card up his sleeve.

Personally he's a disgrace.
Obviously u don't even know what u are saying.
he has played the "osama card" and even the "GM is alive card" and if u listened to the news closely u well see how it went.
look if u dont know whats going on, its better u keep quite and watch!.
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by manny4life(m): 4:38pm On May 10, 2012
People who keep saying Obama is desperate, I just keep laughing. Apparently, it's those who are not in the U.S. or either they are but too lazy to read the papers or watch the news. Anyway, it's best to let them wallow in ignorance...

1 Like

Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by bigsean(m): 4:40pm On May 10, 2012
polokor60: what has this so called obama achieved economically??nothing,during his tenure the us dollar was downgraded by standard organisations across the globe.how about his foreign policy?? zero.he came in spitting fire and brimestone about the topsy -turvy relationship between isreal and palestine,the story remains the same.i can see he is a desperate man seeking for unpopular votes.the AA are no longer sentimental about this dude(obama),so they care less if he wins or loses the forth coming election.obama listen and listen good ''majority carries the day''.north carollina should be your case study about the opinion of people with regards to gay unions in america.i repeat minorities like obama will have their say while majority like the voting public ll have their way..obama will be eating the same type of humble pie with his buddy sarkozy in no distant time.
[]Obama 4 years and Bush 8 years, which was better?
look, "its is easier to destroy than to create" u think an economy that took 8 years of bad policies and racking up debt till it was in total depression can be set right in 4 years? u must be a joker and dont forget the republicans were hell bent to make sure none of he's (obama) policies ever get voted in the house of rep and senate. []
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by bigsean(m): 4:41pm On May 10, 2012
manny4life: People who keep saying Obama is desperate, I just keep laughing. Apparently, it's those who are not in the U.S. or either they are but too lazy to read the papers or watch the news. Anyway, it's best to let them wallow in ignorance...
Exactly my tots as well, people dont know Poo but sha want to comment....lol
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by GodspowerNdu: 4:43pm On May 10, 2012
GAR3TH: As homophobic as I am what i really cant stand is the utter Bigotry I keep seeing on Nairaland. Every time a gay thread opens you see people flood it with bible quotes, praising the lord etc. But isn't it the same Bible that also condemns polygamy, divorce, monogamy, lifelong celibacy, adultery, Gluttony etc because they are also sin. So How many Nairalanders are FAT, then in that case you are going to hell for gluttony. How many Nairalanders are divorced or remarried, well your going to hell because that is a sin.

My point is you just cant pick and choose what is sin or what is not. You just cant say that Homosexuality is a sin and divorcing, polygamy or gluttony is not. That call being a Bigot, either everything that is stated in the bible is sin or every thing is not, Simple.
. See let me tell you bluntly now that homosexualism is an un-natural sin that made God to destroy seldom & Gomorrah in the bible, & eternal damnation awaits anybody that keeps on practising the act.
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by bigsean(m): 4:54pm On May 10, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Ignorance is a disease.......if you have something personal against him that's fine, that's your opinion, but FACTS DONT LIE the guy has worked he's socks of in the last 4 years than must presidents in a very trying economic period and against the worst kind of opposition the US have ever witnessed.

look at the chart i attached below....yes, thats a fact even republicans admit with the growth of the economy under obama, compared to what bush did, thats why the republicans (i.e john mcain in 2008 and miit romney 2012) do not use bush to campaign cos he ruined everything. But Obama can use Clinton to campaign.

Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by manny4life(m): 4:57pm On May 10, 2012
big_sean:
Exactly my tots as well, people dont know Poo but sha want to comment....lol

The best to do is LAUGH, at times I see display of plain ignorance. Obama hasn't done anything yet

Defense - Though the wars in Afghanistan wasn't approved by Congress, he has reached a deal to remove troops, but the deal says there will still be about 20k troops left to train their army. The troops are withdrawing. DoD defense budget has been reudced (though I do not agree), Pentagon has consolidated ALL their programs, and the list is endless

Homeland Security - Under him, they implemented a much safer, broader scope of security. So many attempts has been foiled through his policies. Even the most recent as of yesterday, the new underwear bomber, if not because of close security initiative with Middle-East (Saudi), how else could it have been achieved?

Education - Under Obama, he created the William D Ford federal consolidation program, and the new one in the House for review, his opponent Romney supports it. Under this program, it will create relief like interest reduction et al. Under him, through his programs and DoE, schools have improved in math and reading as opposed to Bush administration.

Taxes - Under Obama, he introduced increased payroll cuts which Romney opposed, although Congress passed the bill unanimously.

Debt - Under Obama review, the house and senate under a bipartisan agreement between Democrats and Republicans, are seeking tough ways to reduce spending.

Immigration - I must say he's been a little lax on immigration.

Economy - The spending and hiring has really improved, though the economy realized slight growth, but the forcast from economist puts the economy to recover by 2014 if we're on track. Spending has increased, Obama released funds to SBA to guarantee loans to small businesses through banks. Also, under the bailout program, and stern agreement with the banks, the banks had lesser, harsher rules for the loans, and btw, the bailout funds have ALMOST been fully paid... Thanks to Obama, GM, Bank of America, Freddie Mac, Goldman Sachs, and the list is endless are ALLL still standing

Also, hiring has increased and under some laws which am not familiar with, outsourcing has decreased. Mortgage market is improving due to Obama's policies, talk about green initiatives, and list is endless.

I can continue to go on an on, but anyway, let's live this argument for another time.
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by papagiddy(m): 5:03pm On May 10, 2012
now,OBAMA is voted out. he has lost the election already. u just watch!
Re: Obama Announces Support For Same-sex Marriage by dayokanu(m): 5:05pm On May 10, 2012
I am with Obama on this

Even if I dont support their practices, I cant deny their rights

And some ppl yelling today. That was the same way anyone who supported women right, civil rights etc years back was viewed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

President Salva Kiir Bans Singing Of National Anthem In His Absence In Sudan / Mandvulo Dlamini Dies Of COVID-19 / Mount Etna’s Eruption, As Volcano Spews Ash Clouds Into The Air(pics, Vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.