Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) (23663 Views)

Legal Implications Of Abubakar Audu's Death – Festus Keyamo / Photo: General Obasanjo And Mrs Remi Obasanjo On Their Wedding Day In 1963 / Lamido Hands Over To SSG, Jets Out On Annual Leave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by miky(m): 5:32pm On May 11, 2012
and this guy was killed because he was corrupt??damn
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by Leyelyzo: 5:40pm On May 11, 2012
Darui:
So because I dislike what he did in that pic, I must support the extreme opposite?
Now listen, do you know what it means to have a unmodernised leader? Just ask the poor almajiri everywhere.
The refusal of their leaders to modernize infrastructure,social and physical brought them where they are.
Me too would like to have a humble , modernized simple leader than greedy, corrupt idiots. We just disagree on what modernity, dignity mean. I am correct judging by the remains of the poor people he so well represented.
Btw, I do not agree he was an exceptional leader.

So according to your myopic sense of reasoning, Tafawa Balewa is unmodernize? The man that spends a good years of his life abroad, schooled abroad, speaks good English, understand English life style and culture, travelled far and wide and meets with a large number of world leaders, is unmodernize because he sat on the floor with his children? What he did is called being proud of your own culture and norms.
Btw how modernize is your father?

4 Likes

Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by sirp2007: 5:49pm On May 11, 2012
When are we going to learn to address issues without insult.
Why will somebody insult an entire tribe just because he/she disagree with that person`s view?
At times l wonder d kind of ppl we have here.Cant u just state ur opinion nd leave?
how l wish seun can check intending member`s IQ b4 been allowed to register here.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by docokwy(m): 6:45pm On May 11, 2012
Leyelyzo:

So according to your myopic sense of reasoning, Tafawa Balewa is unmodernize? The man that spends a good years of his life abroad, schooled abroad, speaks good English, understand English life style and culture, travelled far and wide and meets with a large number of world leaders, is unmodernize because he sat on the floor with his children? What he did is called being proud of your own culture and norms.

I see. One year abroad is now good years of his life.

Early life and career

Abubakar Balewa was born in Bauchi, the son of a Bageri Muslim district head in the Bauchi divisional district of Lere. He started early education at the Koranic School in Bauchi and like most of his contemporaries, he studied at the Katsina College for further education and soon acquired his teaching certificate. He returned to Bauchi to teach at the Bauchi Middle School. In 1944, along with a few learned teachers from the north, he was chosen to study abroad for a year at the University of London's Institute of Education. Upon returning to Nigeria, he became an Inspector of Schools for the colonial administration and later entered politics. He was elected in 1946, to the colony's Northern House of Assembly, and to the Legislative Assembly in 1947. As a legislator, he was a vocal advocate of the rights of northern Nigeria, and together with Alhaji Ahmadu Bello, who held the hereditary title of Sardauna of Sokoto, he founded the Northern People's Congress (NPC).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abubakar_Tafawa_Balewa#Early_life_and_career

1 Like

Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 11, 2012
Leyelyzo:

I had said something about this in my previous post. Our sense of modernity and dignity are widely different. I was talking about him generally not just the pic. We see where the culture has brought his people.
How modernize is my father? Well, obviously more than your own.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 11, 2012
ismhab:
His father is there licking ashawo's azz.
You are just one of them almajiris,unwanted by their own fathers. If you have a true father, you won't have posted this.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by member479760: 7:19pm On May 11, 2012
torkaka: leadership in nigeria started on the right footing till the infamous five majors and the indecisive ironsi(Igbos) scattered everything!
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by ismhab(m): 7:34pm On May 11, 2012
Viewing this topic: tawa89, it is
well(m), Aiyesimi(m), naffysa, solz,
Obynx, lindaomoruyi, swalkphoe
(m), ismhab and 22 guest(s)
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by lacasa: 7:54pm On May 11, 2012
When Nigeria was Nigeria until a grooupp O̶̷̩̥̊͡f drunkard soldiers laid †ЂΞ foundation for political aπϑ economic instability in Nigeria where till this day we avent recovered from.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by Nobody: 8:11pm On May 11, 2012
Na wa, any long thead on NL politics must always be a fight.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by Lindseyrd: 8:20pm On May 11, 2012
torkaka: leadership in nigeria started on the right footing till the infamous five majors and the indecisive ironsi scattered everything!
This is spot on and the beginning of Nigeria misadventure
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by Nobody: 9:46pm On May 11, 2012
BIGER BOY: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=video+of+Tafawa+balewa+visit+to+us&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGIQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYT5m9Fn9RBg&ei=-S-tT6e7Icij6gHk67D_DA&usg=AFQjCNFW2nnhRQQaTyjJo4JXut1eYK_Mlw

Here is a link of his visit to the US. Compare the respect given to Nigerian then (without oil) and now. SMH

did anybody watch this video?....men i dont think there will be any Nigerian president that will be so honored like this...i feel like crying..... God punish those that started the first coup and destabilize this nation

1 Like

Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by ismhab(m): 9:52pm On May 11, 2012
9jadelta:

did anybody watch this video?....men i dont think there will be any Nigerian president that will be so honored like this...i feel like crying..... God punish those that started the first coup and destabilize this nation
THEY ARE IN HELL FIRE NOW BURNING.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by Balyz: 11:54pm On May 11, 2012
Darui: How is sitting on the floor dirtying your babariga simple and humble?
It is good and humble that he decided to spend his vacation in his village but not the sitting on the floor. Those sort of traditions then should have been frowned upon. Modernization was lacking in his mindset. Its the truth.
Humble yourself and you will be able to see the humility in Balewa's disposition.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by rabzy01: 12:02am On May 12, 2012
ismhab:
MAY GOD PUNISH IRONSI WITH HELL FIRE.
Ameen!!!!!
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by CyberG: 12:11am On May 12, 2012
^ How do you know that? Is it just your plain hatred or what??
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by T9ksy(m): 1:27am On May 12, 2012
[quote author=nagoma]

This is not true and if it was true it's not people like u that should complain. [b]An Igbo prime minister would move his entire village to London.[/[/b]quote]

@ bolded, oh yeah? So we should be glad then that TB only sent his son to finish primary education at a private school in london at our expense. You thought processing is definately amazing!
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by T9ksy(m): 1:39am On May 12, 2012
nagoma: In the same year 1963 the eldest son of the Prime Minister ( Baba A.T.Balewa) a form 3 student in Barewa College Zaria with his friends organized an independence anniversary party. ( 1st October 1963) in the school. The noisy boys went on until beyond bed time ( lights out). This was reported to the school authority and the boy Baba A.Tarawa Balewa, the son of a serving prime minister of Nigeria was expelled from the school. Balewa accepted this displine , without complain and would never undermine the authority of a secondary school principle.

But the same Balewa with the humble looks and simple ways of life(hic) was fraudulent and criminal enough to conspire with Akintola to organise the mass rigging of elections in the Western region in 1964 that saw Obafemi Awolowo loss out completely.The jan 1966 coup and the subsequent civil war was a testimony to tafawa balewa's misrule and incompetence

The boy was later on actually and I mean actually sponsored by some friends of Balewa ( not all of them were northerners) to a school in UK. ( all initial arrangement was done in secrecy so that the father would not block it).
Your blind hatred would not allow you to see humility and service , even in people who are no longer living.

Abegi, tell that to the birds jo! Blind hatred ke? Tafawa balewa was not fit for that job and he made a complete mess of the task involved and is why we are where we are today-still perambulating after 5 decades of self-rule!
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by T9ksy(m): 1:52am On May 12, 2012
owobokiri:

One moment you are lambasting Balewa/Sarduana for their warped policies while in government, the next moment its the turn of the 5 majors who tried ending Balewa/Sarduanas "northernisation" policy through a pustch that you riducle to no end on these pages. . You cant win it both ways you know? If Balewa was that bad, those who tried ending his terror especially in the western part of the country may have been motivated by good intentions. No? Pretty simple to see unless you view every issue with a tribal lens. .
@ Op, if you consider Balewa a humble man for rolling himself on a dirty dusty floor , what sayeth thee when Osama approaches from a cave wearing wooden sandals?

My brother, two wrongs will never make a right. They were both WRONG. Balewa/sardunna govt wasn't a nigerian govt but rather a northern govt with policies being made to favour one region to the exclusion of all others. This was WRONG hence the western region went up in flames with hundreds of nigerians, albeit mainly yorubas killed.
The majors didn't have to kill anyone to correct this wrongdoing as there are more than one way to skin a cat. But when the coupist made it a point to murder leaders from other regions whilst sparing theirs then their wrongdoing was on par with those politicians and fellow army personnels (inc. their wives),they murdered. The coupists were just opportunists hiding behind the incompetence of the central govt to unleash their own sectional hegemonic ambition.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by kaeto(m): 4:33am On May 12, 2012
nagoma:

This is not true and if it was true it's not people like u that should complain. An Igbo prime minister would move his entire village to London.
Just see how you reason. You should be ashamed of this mentality,GOD help you.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by kaeto(m): 4:38am On May 12, 2012
nagoma: In the same year 1963 the eldest son of the Prime Minister ( Baba A.T.Balewa) a form 3 student in Barewa College Zaria with his friends organized an independence anniversary party. ( 1st October 1963) in the school. The noisy boys went on until beyond bed time ( lights out). This was reported to the school authority and the boy Baba A.Tarawa Balewa, the son of a serving prime minister of Nigeria was expelled from the school. Balewa accepted this displine , without complain and would never undermine the authority of a secondary school principle.
The boy was later on actually and I mean actually sponsored by some friends of Balewa ( not all of them were northerners) to a school in UK. ( all initial arrangement was done in secrecy so that the father would not block it).
Your blind hatred would not allow you to see humility and service , even in people who are no longer living.
But this is more indicting than what you yorubas call 'greek gift' to GEJ, the otuoke anglican comunion church hall. You people should leave us alone oh, please...
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by Kayday(m): 4:46am On May 12, 2012
How many of u are familiar with Ebenezer Obey's song- Esin pelu Kekekete? There's nothing that can satisfy human beings. If it's hot, they'll want it cold or say warm is better. That's the nature of man. We can never have such a simple man as a leader again.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by kaeto(m): 4:51am On May 12, 2012
ismhab:
MAY GOD PUNISH IRONSI WITH HELL FIRE.
you should know that JESUS is the ONLY way ,the truth and the life, no one can see GOD except by Him... Of the 1.2billion muslims in the whole world and beyond,all are sure destined to hell,even 'you' who has no spiritual evidence and conviction,living with charms from allah and a lawless way of life, you are already doing your hell Industrial Training in your hot desertified maidugiri, be fooling yourself as ...
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by kaeto(m): 4:58am On May 12, 2012
zaboy: Islam teaches simplicity and modesty. Balewa was a devout muslim, hence the simplicity.

yes,like abacha who died simplifying some women's congo,chei!
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by StellaBella(f): 5:54am On May 12, 2012
Whether he was seating on the floor,
Or seating on the mountain.
The man is dead.
So y all need to chill out.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by otokx(m): 12:56pm On May 12, 2012
Nice video.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by owobokiri(m): 2:51pm On May 12, 2012
T9ksy:

My brother, two wrongs will never make a right. They were both WRONG. Balewa/sardunna govt wasn't a nigerian govt but rather a northern govt with policies being made to favour one region to the exclusion of all others. This was WRONG hence the western region went up in flames with hundreds of nigerians, albeit mainly yorubas killed.
The majors didn't have to kill anyone to correct this wrongdoing as there are more than one way to skin a cat. But when the coupist made it a point to murder leaders from other regions whilst sparing theirs then their wrongdoing was on par with those politicians and fellow army personnels (inc. their wives),they murdered. The coupists were just opportunists hiding behind the incompetence of the central govt to unleash their own sectional hegemonic ambition.

I will play the devils advocate one last time and its going to be long. Most of your conclusions are bereft of facts. For instance , you cant say for sure that the majors were motivated by sectional agenda simply because they failed to 'spread the killings'. Do realise that 3 of the present day regions were represented within the group. (SW, SE. SS). You dont need a federal character representation in a group about to end the "northernisation" policy of a section of the country, a risky move that can lead to death. .

Again most of those killed including officers were presumed to be working with Sarduana/Balewa to achieve the aformentioned goals. There were also some none norherners killed.
At the risk of sounding like i am defending the killings, let me remind you that almost all peaceful avenues for stoping Balewa and co failed with the western crises, the massive rigging of the general elections, the improsonment of Awolowo and so on. These events claimed THOUSANDS of lives under the leadership of 'Mr Humility' above. Something had to give and the way i see it, the removal of the corrupt 1st republic government was in order.

The 5 majors never ruled so you cant be so sure of their motives. . Some people might say that the country could have been better off if 'democracy' was not interupted, but who knows if the country would have been much better if the coup succeeded?

Bottomline is that the then government was on rampage and those who should have belled the cat hid their heads in the sand like ostriches. 20 something year old junior officer took the bull by the horn and did that job to the best of their abilities. obviously they could have done better but are they devils for daring? I dont think so. We need to quit blaming those who "dared" to make changes for the shyte that is 9ja today. We are where we are because we refuse to take risks and get rid of the demons ruling us. If you dont like the 'net effects' of the first coup, get up and help change things.
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by bknight: 3:50pm On May 12, 2012
His only crime here is that he wasn't sitting on a mat but on bare floor. But again, did this picture show how dirty/clean the floor was? I know northern public office holders who sit on the floor in their private homes.

If I'm president, I pray I don't feel arrogant abt sitting on the floor with my family. Yes, maybe on a wool woven mat. If I went on picnic with my family, what happens? Carry my 22karat gold chair rimmed with diamond studs?

So far he didn't rule like france's bourgeois king louis-phillipe, duke of orleans, I don't think I have any problems with his sitting on the floor. As a matter of fact, its not worth the debate. Its to be treated as 'normal', not to be praised nor criticized. His culture/tradition allows him to. And my personal principles allows me to.
Poor men want to think and act like the rich. While the rich admire the simple life of the ordinary man. Alexander The Great said of a certain cynic named Digeones Von Sinope: "If I wasn't Alexander (The Great) I should like to be Digeones Von Sinope".

Don't confuse modernization with westernization.

1 Like

Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by Caporegime(m): 3:57pm On May 12, 2012
sir-p2007:
When are we going to learn to address issues without insult.
Why will somebody insult an entire tribe just because he/she disagree with that person`s view?
At times l wonder d kind of ppl we have here.Cant u just state ur opinion nd leave?
how l wish seun can check intending member`s IQ b4 been allowed to register here.
*shaking head* same question i ask myself everyday......
Re: SIMPLICITY AND HUMILITY! (pic Of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa On Annual Leave In 1963) by amtheone(m): 5:20pm On May 12, 2012
Going by some comments here, I have come to understand that a lot of Nigerians both educated and otherwise are yet to know exactly what they, that is, the kind of leaders that should lead/govern them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: NANS Backs Jonathan’s Second Term / Tambuwal Releases N12m To Buy Cows For Orphans / Group Threatens Mass Protest If Buhari Doesn’t Attend Next FEC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.