Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Mental Illness;perception And atittude. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mental Illness;perception And atittude. (1254 Views)

Poll: mental illness is caused by?

spiritual...curses,witches, evil people: 0% (0 votes)
inherited from parents/family: 0% (0 votes)
life events..heartbreak, deaths, losses: 0% (0 votes)
Drugs...alcohol, cannabis, cocaine etc: 0% (0 votes)
none of the above: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

My Phobia For People With Mental Illness: Reply To Adebola Rayo / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience / Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mental Illness;perception And atittude. by sigmundfreud(m): 12:54pm On May 10, 2012
we see them on our streets, by the roadside or in their own world in a corner. Those are the extremes. The others are our friends, neighbours, relatives etc. but they still reside inside a building and have people taking care of them. The rest are not that obvious and go about their daily activities just like the rest of us.
So what is your definition of mental illness and what do you think of people with them? How do u think they can be managed?
Comments and real life experience are welcomed. Thanks!
Re: Mental Illness;perception And atittude. by emofine2(f): 7:35am On May 16, 2012
I guess there’s a difference between thinking outside the box and operating outside the box...geniuses usually do the former so I wonder what could be accorded to those that are as you put “in their own world”...although there are different degrees and variation of mental illnesses (which may satisfy some of your various options) some are rather intelligent despite mental illness being a social stigma.
Re: Mental Illness;perception And atittude. by sigmundfreud(m): 10:05pm On May 17, 2012
emöfine2: I guess there’s a difference between thinking outside the box and operating outside the box...geniuses usually do the former so I wonder what could be accorded to those that are as you put “in their own world”...although there are different degrees and variation of mental illnesses (which may satisfy some of your various options) some are rather intelligent despite mental illness being a social stigma.
Didnt mean those extreme of normal, was actually refering to vagrants that sit at corners or a fixed place doing whatever they do.
Mental illness is not the same as mental retardation....intellectual functioning can still be normal.
Thanks for ur comment.
Re: Mental Illness;perception And atittude. by tpia5: 5:40pm On Sep 30, 2013
i think in instances where it is a confirmed family trait (check some recent threads on nl), then not having kids might be an option, in cases where the person might want to marry but is afraid to do so due to such constraints.

and all this should be fully discussed with the partner, if one is present?
Re: Mental Illness;perception And atittude. by laudate: 11:57pm On Nov 14, 2013
There are different types of mental illness. Some may be cured through the use of appropriate drugs and therapy (e.g. depression), others may be managed through proper use of medication. undecided

Mental illness such as hallucination, disorientation etc, can also be caused by underlying physical diseases (e.g. inflammation of the brain etc) and if the disease is flushed out of the body using a combined antibiotic or relevant drug regimen, the affected person becomes well again. angry

There is so much ignorance, hatred, disdain and hypocrisy among Nigerians when it comes to mental health.

We need to wake up & learn more about this and take steps to prevent and avert it as well as work with relevant doctors to mange those with mental infirmity. kiss

The govt also needs to devote more time, resources & personnel to take care of people with mental heath issues.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Say No To High Blood Pressure<hypertension>, Know Your Blood Pressure Today! / The Best Hospital In Awka, Anambra To Register For Antenatal Classes? / 5 Scientific Reasons Why You Should Sleep Naked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.