Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence (10004 Views)

Mysterious Illness May Be Carried By The Wind / My Phobia For People With Mental Illness: Reply To Adebola Rayo / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Ilekokonit: 5:08pm On Dec 03, 2012
Intelligence on Earth evolved 'by accident', study claims

A study which has pinpointed the moment 'intelligence' evolved suggests it may have happened by accident.

The genetic 'fluke' which led to the evolution of our ability to reason may have also sown the seeds of mental illness, the researchers claim.

The study claims that the genes which led to complex behaviour evolved 500 million years ago, when our 'ancestors' were invertebrates living in the sea.

A mutation which led to the number of brain genes in our ancestors multiplying set life on Earth on the path towards complex thought, and our ability to analyse situations.

But the researchers claim that mental illness may be the 'price' we pay for intelligence.

Their conclusions are based on studying 'complex behaviours' in mice and humans, in experiments which involved identifying objects on touch screens - then tracing the genetic origins of these behaviours.

Professor Seth Grant, of the University of Edinburgh, who led the research, said: "One of the greatest scientific problems is to explain how intelligence and complex behaviours arose during evolution."

The research, detailed in two papers in Nature Neuroscience, also shows a direct link between the evolution of 'complex behaviour' and the origins of brain diseases.

Scientists believe that the same genes that improved our mental capacity are also responsible for a number of brain disorders.

"This ground breaking work has implications for how we understand the emergence of psychiatric disorders and will offer new avenues for the development of new treatments," said John Williams, Head of Neuroscience and Mental Health at the Wellcome Trust, one of the study funders.

They found that higher mental functions in humans and mice were controlled by the same genes.

The study also showed that when these genes were mutated or damaged, they impaired higher mental functions.

"Our work shows that the price of higher intelligence and more complex behaviours is more mental illness," said Professor Grant.

The researchers had previously shown that more than 100 childhood and adult brain diseases are caused by gene mutations.

"We can now apply genetics and behavioural testing to help patients with these diseases", said Dr Tim Bussey from Cambridge University.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/intelligence-on-earth-evolved--by-accident---study-claims-121733062.html

1 Like

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Afam4eva(m): 6:12pm On Dec 03, 2012
Hmmm
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 03, 2012
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by topsyking: 6:13pm On Dec 03, 2012
Too much book dey damage d brain..always first and on point
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by 3direct: 6:13pm On Dec 03, 2012
I should have known earlier

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by legalwealth(m): 6:13pm On Dec 03, 2012
how?
Not yet convinced...
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by lancey(m): 6:13pm On Dec 03, 2012
okay.. ..but do mice have brain diseases too??

1 Like

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by baby124: 6:18pm On Dec 03, 2012
Very true. Look around you, a lot of mad people are quite intelligent. lipsrsealed. Or over intelligent people eventually have some form of mental illness.

3 Likes

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Ucheosefoh(m): 6:18pm On Dec 03, 2012
So dat means all the mad piple wey de nl were once intelligent I dnt think so some of them were born with brain disorder

1 Like

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by kunletech: 6:19pm On Dec 03, 2012
Oyinbos will not mislead us with their unverified or unproof theories
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by bigx(m): 6:19pm On Dec 03, 2012
Who read all that?

3 Likes

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by TableLeg(m): 6:20pm On Dec 03, 2012
lancey: okay.. ..but do mice have brain diseases too??
Why dont you ask the mice in your kitchen, perhaps it may have the answer you desire!

4 Likes

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Meeah: 6:21pm On Dec 03, 2012
baby_123: Very true. Look around you, a lot of mad people are quite intelligent. lipsrsealed. Or over intelligent people eventually have some form of mental illness.

okay..........so how many mad people have had the pleasure of discussing with? lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 03, 2012
This work might be ground breaking for them, for me, it is only earth shaking!
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by kunletech: 6:25pm On Dec 03, 2012
baby_123: Very true. Look around you, a lot of mad people are quite intelligent. lipsrsealed. Or over intelligent people eventually have some form of mental illness.

The reason why some intellingent peeps are unballance is because of over release of neurochemical called dopamin.
Thesame chemical release when u smoke weed.

1 Like

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by remmyton(f): 6:27pm On Dec 03, 2012
creativity is d key to success. With this doctor's research n solution, he sure will make his own doe, but we always survive all those researches n findings, after all, we always do
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Redmosquito(m): 6:30pm On Dec 03, 2012
Minion: Ur painfulness! The more the brain of mortals develop the more their susceptible to illness they are
Hades: Of course! That is not new. There is always a price to pay. And I think this price is a cheap one.
Minion: Really!!! Hmmmm!!! So What you are saying my Lord! Is that with great power comes great responsibilities?!

2 Likes

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by tinventor(m): 6:30pm On Dec 03, 2012
DATS Y OUR GIRLS DRESS MORE NAKED THE MORE THE GET CIVILIZED
AND OUR GUYS MORE CRAZY ABOUT SEX AND READY TO HAVE IT ON THE EXPRESS WAY - ITS ALL CIVILISATION

2 Likes

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by baby124: 6:33pm On Dec 03, 2012
Meeah:

okay..........so how many mad people have had the pleasure of discussing with? lipsrsealed
grin grin grin cheesy. None. But i used to see one that used to carry books all over the place with him. Must be dead now. Speaking some serious english . Plus a lot of psychopaths and sociopaths are quite intelligent. Case in point the neuroscience student that shot people in a movie theater. cheesy
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Candybob(m): 6:34pm On Dec 03, 2012
Long story, too many myths!!!
Ever wondered what a mad man thinks of?
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 03, 2012
Mcheew, nonsense! Evolution is the most unscientific notion that actually came out of science.
Science proposes that it is from the evidences around that you derive your theory but it is clear that evolution proponents have already drawn the conclusion and are now looking for facts to back them up.
Most statisticians agree that a probability of 1 in about 5000 can be considered impossible. Oya imagine the probability of such a mutation happening to only humans out of the billions of species on earth

4 Likes

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by aglomar: 6:35pm On Dec 03, 2012
This means that d obviously intelligent people who carried out d research are also neurotic.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by princemedico: 6:36pm On Dec 03, 2012
There are some element of truth in the research. I concur.
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Nobody: 6:38pm On Dec 03, 2012

My health viewers:
Before y'all leave. I'll like to announce that Miss Nairaland Dec. 2012 is taking place by 10pm today in the Romance section!(Nigerian time)

Vote for [size=16pt]abiL and ItsModella.[/size] There will be a brief introduction and pictures of these two candidates on the thread.
Do you want to hear their platform?? contact me @ campaignmanager.com.

MAKE YOUR VOTE COUNT, VOTE abiL or ItsModella!!! Thanks for your support!

Please don't quote this comment, u can address my ID-Shollypopz smiley

Sneak peek wink https://www.nairaland.com/abil
https://www.nairaland.com/itsmodella
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Detonatorrex(m): 6:38pm On Dec 03, 2012
bigx: Who read all that?
read just the boldedgrin
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Chanchit: 6:40pm On Dec 03, 2012
topsyking: Too much book dey damage d brain..always first and on point

In other words, you go soon run mad...
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Chanchit: 6:40pm On Dec 03, 2012
[quote author=
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Abyjah: 6:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
The world is just a psychiatric asylum, reason being that every man is mad in his own way.

Anyways, let's talk about Jesus:

How he rebuked legions of demons from a mad man sending them into a herd of swine that perished in a sea.
Awesome!
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by omiobo: 7:07pm On Dec 03, 2012
No wonder I talk am,Mynd44,k2039,afamever,idowuogbo e.t.c are very intelligent but sometime they go offline whlie online.grin

2 Likes

Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by omiobo: 7:08pm On Dec 03, 2012
No wonder I talk am,Mynd44,k2039,afamever,idowuogbo e.t.c are very intelligent but sometime they go offline whlie online.grin
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by Nobody: 7:08pm On Dec 03, 2012
Tomorrow they will contradict this as its not complete
Re: Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence by salolo(m): 7:13pm On Dec 03, 2012
how

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight? / Diet For Renal Patient / Please Where Can I Get Rosemary Leaves And Raw Shea Butter Here In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.