Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,577 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria (27837 Views)

A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by DeeAe: 1:17pm On May 10, 2012
I've been planning on schooling abroad because I feel nigerian unis can't produce good programmers, but I recently decided †☺ see other peoples opinions for I might be greatly wrong, what are the best unis (private) †☺ learn computer science aπϑ graduate wit good rounded knowledge of programming in nigeria?
Yh p.s I read dat bells won the nmc computer programming competition for 3 yrs in a row(09_11). But I would still like †☺ see your list/suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by lekside44(m): 1:47pm On May 18, 2012
there is nothing like the best school. what matters is you and your ability to think

6 Likes

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by prodam(m): 10:11pm On May 18, 2012
lekside, u are right but probably the poster wants to hear from those that have actually passed through a university and recommend such school considering facilities, man power, records and d rest.

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by ektbear: 1:01am On May 20, 2012
My cousin goes to Bowen. Supposedly it is a pretty good school for CS.

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by DeeAe: 9:03am On May 20, 2012
Yh I meant like schools dt expose students the more, practicals, competitions, e.t.c...
Will look into bowen too, but would U̶̲̥̅̊ recommend lead city in ibadan ??

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by 1stknight(m): 1:56pm On May 20, 2012
Try FUTA

2 Likes

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by SayoMarvel(m): 4:26pm On May 24, 2012
@Poster please DO NOT make that mistake of studying computer science in Nigeria if you have the opportunity to go to better schools abroad! I'm a student of the best department of computer science in Nigeria (Obafemi Awolowo University), this is my fifth year in the university and I have a considerable experience in programming and I can tell you that everything in this country is pretty much trash! I don't think you want to go to a university where a data structures lecturer doesn't know what a hashtable is.
Some people talking about Bowen and the likes? That's utter crap!
If you don't have to opportunity to go out, stay here with the rest of us (but put in your personal effort to excel) but if you do, please get better education abroad.
On a final note: please ask yourself why people try to go abroad for masters and why the "big" Nigerian companies don't usually employ domestic programmers for large mission-critical projects? Its because we all know the crap we are being fed with! A lecture coming to class and reading a note into your hearing and when you ask questions, he tells you "that's how its written in the note."

[please I'm sorry to sound a little aggressive, its because of the way educational stuff in this country pains me. I do not mean to hurt anybody. Big respect to you all]

17 Likes

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by ektbear: 12:23am On May 25, 2012
Data structures lecturer doesn't know what a hash table is? lol

Your best bet then is to learn data structures online then. Grab some video lectures from one of the western universities, use that to learn.

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by SayoMarvel(m): 5:09pm On May 25, 2012
Wait, is this some sort of joke? Lead city, Bowen? Do you really expect to learn computer science in those places?
Practicals, competitions? In the last IEEExtreme Programming competition, only 10 teams from 3 schools represented Nigeria: OAU (5), UI (3), American (2). The best team in Nigeria was from UI, my team was third. OAU has been pretty impressive in Microsoft's Imagine Cup too.
Though guyz are trying, I still think tge conditions are not good enough if you want to be on the cutting edge.
Frankly, don't expect much opportunitues in Lead city et al; who even knows they exist (as far as computer science is concerned)?
I'll consider US schools if I really wanna learn this thingy; UK, India, etc are not even on my list. And if you can take a year or two to learn a foreign language before schooling, you can consider Russia, China (luckily, you may meet ACRush *smiles*). #personalOpinion

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:30pm On May 25, 2012
I'm studying CS in UNN, and it's pretty awesome, what with the school being "wireless" and all that. You get access to lots of repositories. Great stuff!

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by moscyt(m): 8:02pm On May 27, 2012
U can try babcock university dia computer science department is ok! Except dat of goin to church thingy but if u can cope wif dat den I will choose babcock any.

2 Likes

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by lekadornis: 11:09am On May 28, 2012
to some extent i believe ders no programmer in 9ja dat wil pinpoint one particular uni. has being d best because most of dem do nt get der skills frm der tertiary institutions...programming is more of self believe nd interest,abi na fortran and pascal u go dey depend on in this modern era of Xbasic and others...........u need d foundation though,jst take d admission frm any1 dat acceptd u and develop urself.....shekenah

2 Likes

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by SayoMarvel(m): 1:20am On May 29, 2012
lekadornis: abi na fortran and pascal u go dey depend on in this modern era of Xbasic and others...

There are current job openings even in big giants like Intel that require a solid programming experience in Fortran.

2 Likes

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by Ajafik(m): 9:21am On May 29, 2012
Personal skill development is the soul of IT in Nigeria not Computer Science of a thing. I am not againsting studying computer science, though if you are sound your will know that are not totally trash. Thank God you know this early. Please, work on yourself and get good grades as much as you can and don't have it in mind of been local champion if you really want to be the best you are seeing in urself. Best school or not, it's the same set of lecturers that teach there. I am from LAUTECH, and guys are trying here too.

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by ektbear: 9:33am On May 29, 2012
Programming is programming.

If they teach you Pascal at university, surely it won't be impossible for you to pick up another language.

2 Likes

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by kingodiase: 11:56pm On May 02, 2013
I am a computer programmer, advanced in C C++ Java Fortran JavaScript and so on. I make mobile apps for google android phone and I studied in the UK. I actually didnt do computer science but got taught programming at university because it was an essential part of being a modern scientist because most scientific simulations are carried out using a computer, so Mr SayoMarvel for you information the universities in the UK are very good in terms on computer science and it also depends on how good the university is as well. But if you wanna get to the standard of making softwares and mobile apps, you would have to learn a lot of the stuff on your own.

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by hackman90: 12:55am On May 05, 2013
king_odiase: I am a computer programmer, advanced in C C++ Java Fortran JavaScript and so on. I make mobile apps for google android phone and I studied in the UK. I actually didnt do computer science but got taught programming at university because it was an essential part of being a modern scientist because most scientific simulations are carried out using a computer, so Mr SayoMarvel for you information the universities in the UK are very good in terms on computer science and it also depends on how good the university is as well. But if you wanna get to the standard of making softwares and mobile apps, you would have to learn a lot of the stuff on your own.
So what and what can u program with c,c++,c# e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by osazekid(m): 7:16pm On Jul 15, 2014
i pray things change in this country oo

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by promise46(m): 8:48pm On Jul 18, 2014
If you want a university where by you can cramme how to programme please try Federal university of technology owerri and study Computer science there A.K.A. FUTO.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 10:27pm On Feb 04, 2016
Part of being good at programming is doing it solo and being able to do some good self-study. School indeed does help, but when you have free time you should be working on your own computer science projects.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by danidee10(m): 11:17pm On Feb 04, 2016
Let me clear the air a little.....computer Science is much more than programming....there are so many fields involved, computer science in the university will just give you the basics and the solid foundation to a good programmer who knows what is actually going on under the hood...in any field you finally fall in love with you have to practice and study hard on your own or take specific courses in that area.....but the main truth is dat cs in nigeria is dead

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 08, 2019
Ajafik:
Personal skill development is the soul of IT in Nigeria not Computer Science of a thing. I am not againsting studying computer science, though if you are sound your will know that are not totally trash. Thank God you know this early. Please, work on yourself and get good grades as much as you can and don't have it in mind of been local champion if you really want to be the best you are seeing in urself. Best school or not, it's the same set of lecturers that teach there. I am from LAUTECH, and guys are trying here too.

ektbear:

Your best bet then is to learn data structures online then. Grab some video lectures from one of the western universities, use that to learn.

Online Resources for a Computer Science Undergraduate

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by 95seun(m): 6:23pm On Jan 09, 2019
I am in Lagos for a couple months and i’m just wondering if anyone on this thread can advise on a good centre to learn either Android / iOS development.

I’m well aware of courses on Udemy, Coursera, YouTube and a bunch of other sites but my living arrangements and access to electricity is not conducive for focused uninterrupted self study.
Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by javaRookie: 7:45pm On Jan 09, 2019
95seun:
I am in Lagos for a couple months and i’m just wondering if anyone on this thread can advise on a good centre to learn either Android / iOS development.

I’m well aware of courses on Udemy, Coursera, YouTube and a bunch of other sites but my living arrangements and access to electricity is not conducive for focused uninterrupted self study.
Go to either UNN Or private uni. Dont mind the ' abroad Uni for Cs ' gang. Computer science aint mainly programming just make out time to self study programming via youtube and combine both in Uni.
Trust me you would be ahead of the lectures and smash A's in Cs courses.
There are too much oppurtunities in Nigeria most people are just not creative and inovative.
If you have no interest in Cs even if Gates teach you 1 on 1, you wont still get it. So forget about these abroad shiit and get you admission going.
To me, the only thing in Naija that hinders top notch up-coming programmers are.
1. Laptop.
2. Constant electricity.
3. Subscription.
4. Small cash for expenses.
But some universities have constant electricity and thats to me, the only stumbling block we have.
The school courses aint no solid excuse for not being a good programmer and more espcially a good Comp. Scientist.
Who says you cant be a programmer while attending naija Univers. It all falls back to how you manage yourself and study.
The world is going digital that Flash cant keep up.
You dont need to go to London before you can get what is London.
The greatest teacher is at your fingertips, Internet is, was and will be the best source of information.
Even if you travel abroad you will be weighed down while trying to make ends meet. Switching from a janitor to afternoon lectures.
You can think abroad if you are financially buoyant else forget it.
Stay here you know food, rent, tax, insurance etc wont be a problem.
Then do your Masters abroad.
PEACE!

1 Like

Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by Iamkacey: 7:40am On Mar 17, 2022
javaRookie:

Go to either UNN Or private uni. Dont mind the ' abroad Uni for Cs ' gang. Computer science aint mainly programming just make out time to self study programming via youtube and combine both in Uni.
Trust me you would be ahead of the lectures and smash A's in Cs courses.
There are too much oppurtunities in Nigeria most people are just not creative and inovative.
If you have no interest in Cs even if Gates teach you 1 on 1, you wont still get it. So forget about these abroad shiit and get you admission going.
To me, the only thing in Naija that hinders top notch up-coming programmers are.
1. Laptop.
2. Constant electricity.
3. Subscription.
4. Small cash for expenses.
But some universities have constant electricity and thats to me, the only stumbling block we have.
The school courses aint no solid excuse for not being a good programmer and more espcially a good Comp. Scientist.
Who says you cant be a programmer while attending naija Univers. It all falls back to how you manage yourself and study.
The world is going digital that Flash cant keep up.
You dont need to go to London before you can get what is London.
The greatest teacher is at your fingertips, Internet is, was and will be the best source of information.
Even if you travel abroad you will be weighed down while trying to make ends meet. Switching from a janitor to afternoon lectures.
You can think abroad if you are financially buoyant else forget it.
Stay here you know food, rent, tax, insurance etc wont be a problem.
Then do your Masters abroad.
PEACE!
I'm in Nigeria and I have to choose between unn and unizik and I'm confused
Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by Najdorf: 7:51pm On Mar 17, 2022
If OP has the opportunity to go abroad then he should. Ultimately where you reach in your career or in a particular skill comes down to how much you learnt on your own and not in a classroom but I feel there's this major benefit of schooling abroad, especially the West, that people forget which are connections.

Let me state it again, choice of school does not matter in how good of a programmer you become. What you majorly stand to gain from schooling abroad are career benefits through the greater amount of quality internships you can get during your years of study and much better pay than you would get here in Nigeria.

My sister had these twin brothers in her school both extremely intelligent. One got a scholarship to U of Waterloo in Canada and now works at Google. You said you've been planning to school abroad, assuming you can cope with the tuition I feel it's a good investment.
Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by codesngr(m): 8:29pm On Mar 17, 2022
ektbear:

grin grin grin grin, no be lie
Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by debbiluv82: 9:22pm On Mar 17, 2022
I intended changing my school and program once I get to Canada with a study permit for masters program. The reason is because I am currently a teacher and my degree is in education, but I want to go into health sciences in a college to get diploma degree. Because of age Gap in my result I can't possibly apply for diploma and be able to convince the VO. I need advice on how possible is it for me to abandon the Masters program after first semester and go to another province for the diploma program once I get the new admission. Will it affect me in any way? Does moving from one province to another require paper work over there again?
Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by Tyrexiie(m): 4:58am On Mar 18, 2022
I want to relocate to Canada through studies and I am an HND holder in Agricultural Eng, I would like to know the process or have a guide in here as these agent fees are just too exorbitant to ignore.
Re: Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria by codesngr(m): 6:11am On Mar 18, 2022
Tyrexiie:
I want to relocate to Canada through studies and I am an HND holder in Agricultural Eng, I would like to know the process or have a guide in here as these agent fees are just too exorbitant to ignore.

I WOULD ADVICE U NOT TO USE ANY AGENT

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Programming Learning Challenge June. / Diary Of An Aspiring Software/web Developer / Muili Seun Sells Off Gocampus To Vickram Sybri, Indian Tech Guru

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.