Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,222 members, 7,836,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume (14331 Views)

Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike / Sacked Lagos Doctors Reinstatement Letters Ready / Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Rhino5dm: 9:22am On May 11, 2012
You must be living in the past. Bro, time is changing very fast. Two of my friends just crossed over from a private hospital, mehn come see celebration, one of them is planning a thanks giving ceremony next sunday.

There are zillions of unemployed or under employed doctors waiting for this mass vacancy.

ziccoit: He employed them as locum, which means they would be paid based on hours of work. The only reason Fashola seemly to be winning is because the leadership of NMA has sold the doctors to the politicians. In the real world, no doctor would accept to work under this kind of atmosphere. Doctors used to work like secret cult.

Mark my word. This present shows of deceits would never stand. It has never worked anywhere in the world and would not work in Lagos state.

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 9:23am On May 11, 2012
ballabriggs:

So the best thing is to sack 700 Docs and replace them with 300 for millions of people? This new ones would also get frustrated with the conditions and it would be back to square one. So don't deceive yourselves. Lagos and Nigeria has a very low workforce in the health sector. Why can't we then treat the few we have right? ? The strike option seems to be the only language this useless Nigerian leaders understand.

It's not only the health sector that has a low workforce. It cuts across all professions in Nigeria, from education to security.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ballabriggs: 9:25am On May 11, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
so because we wan develop naija, na him we go allow some lazy bastards hold the government for ransom? You get sense at all?

You're the one without sense. If the Docs are lazy, what has been done to motivate them? Remuneration policies as part of governance means remunerating to attract, retain your work force and that which is commensurate with the work done. Doctors in Lagos should earn more than Doctors anywhere in Nigeria just like Doctors in London get a higher pay than the rest of the UK. The government can keep lying to themselves. There is no development coming your way if things go on this way. It means they have not prioritized health which is critical to development.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by gregg2: 9:29am On May 11, 2012
Fashola just demonstrated gross incompetence in Crisis Management.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ayox2003: 9:29am On May 11, 2012
Whenever I ask people what the greatest problem Nigeria is, they are always yelling "Bad leadership, corruption....".
Its not any of those, Nigerians are the greatest problem of this country! This thread is just another affirmation.
Wait, has there been any strike or protest from government workers/masses that has been for selfish reasons?
Its always been the govt's insincerity! Dont worry, the army will soon protest.
Take it or leave it we are our greatest problem.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by EkwyOmalicha: 9:29am On May 11, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
Na by force to work for government? Abeg shift comot if you wan the job, plenty people dey wait for thesame chance. Wetin the doctors be sef?

@ Rihno you fit inject patient…….
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by kayshow(m): 9:34am On May 11, 2012
I lost M̶̲̥̅♈ dad due t̲̣̣̥O̶̲̥̅̊ Τ̲̅ђe striking nature of Τ̲̅ђe doctors some yrs ago
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by chuks49(m): 9:40am On May 11, 2012
gregg2: Fashola just demonstrated gross incompetence in Crisis Management.

I beg to disagree, credit should be given to fashola for bringing to an end strike called upon by radical union leaders by not succumbing to blackmail.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by afrobaby(f): 9:42am On May 11, 2012
For clarification purpose, the doctors that are sacked were already on strike, they refused to come to work and attend to dia patients(not clients or students), medical profession unlike other profession shouldn't all b about money, it is service to humanity. My brother, who is a medical doctor will be ready to travel far or even leave pressing issues to attend to someone who is sick, it is al about passion, God has given them the know-how to save life, we are talking about life here, they should use that gifts. And maybe we are forgetting something, doctors in private hospitals mostly do other medical work/duties in private hospitals, many of the nigerian doctors especially those in government hospitals are not humans, they show non-challant attitude to human lifes at times.
Like someone once said, if they are not satisfied with govt job, they should go to private hospitals, so many unemployed doctors are out there waiting for this opportunity, and remember, year in year out, medical graduates are produced, so if dis new ones decide to go d path of dia fallen brothers, they would also be shown the way out.
I even heard today that they were given staff quarters, how many of us working in private firms can decide to just go on strike like that, how many of us enjoy the benefits they enjoy. I love govt work, I wanna work for the govt, it's like getting free money, so if dis doctors beleivee they are too much, then fashola , pls go on and show them nobody is irreplacable.

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Rhino5dm: 9:43am On May 11, 2012
. . ."I no be qualify doctor, but she want make I give am injection" cool

Are you catching my drift? I can only inject using my -long notched dicck. Thank you lord. cheesy

But on a serious note, the excesses of these guys must be checked. It is sheer wickedness to use the life of the innocent as bargaining chips. What is the difference between boko haram that kill people to drive home their grievances with these doctors that allowed thier patients to die in protest of financial benefits? Tell me.

Ekwy Omalicha:

@ Rihno you fit inject patient…….
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ballabriggs: 9:45am On May 11, 2012
No wonder Politicians would build roads and tell these people "they are working". Do you people really know what your priorities are? If a government cannot develop health which includes its workforce then that government is a failed government. I have never heard Mr Cameron gloat over building or renovating roads, yet there is work going on from the M1 to 25. You hear them talk of the NHS, reducing unemployment or national security. Fashola must be told in clear terms to do what is right, I had been a fan of him but on this case, he is not getting it.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ayox2003: 9:48am On May 11, 2012
kayshow: I lost M̶̲̥̅♈ dad due t̲̣̣̥O̶̲̥̅̊ Τ̲̅ђe striking nature of Τ̲̅ђe doctors some yrs ago
May His soul Rest in Peace.
But blame not the Doctors. Its because of Govt's insincerity.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Rhino5dm: 9:51am On May 11, 2012
Guy stop all these lies, joor! Portharcourt is more expensive than Lagos, and I don't see doctors in PH or any other places striking like nepa lights or abandoning their patients, after every 2 months in the name of strike.

By the way, why are you always quick to mention London, UK ? You think say na moi-moi to be doctor for UK? No be pap ooooo.

You guys in Lagos are just greedy.

ballabriggs:

You're the one without sense. If the Docs are lazy, what has been done to motivate them? Remuneration policies as part of governance means remunerating to attract, retain your work force and that which is commensurate with the work done. Doctors in Lagos should earn more than Doctors anywhere in Nigeria just like Doctors in London get a higher pay than the rest of the UK. The government can keep lying to themselves. There is no development coming your way if things go on this way. It means they have not prioritized health which is critical to development.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by alongeyink(m): 9:51am On May 11, 2012
Thhis is totally wrong I don't agree with Fashola on this at all.what he just did is just injustice he removed food from their table.and also gave them 2 days notice to move out from the apartment I bet it people like Fashola can not rule Negeria.Cos if he does he will rndermany people homeles.HE can not manage comunity believe you me people oustside don't really knw what is goin on underground.And I hope as time goes on we shall all understand better.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Boyoorisha: 9:54am On May 11, 2012
Ekwy Omalicha: So what happens if tomorrow these ones threaten Lagos state with strike action? May be Fashola and co ‘ll then recruit student doctors……..very soon our Lagos hospitals will be flooded with quacks. sad
It has always been flooded with quacks!
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ojubi(m): 9:56am On May 11, 2012
This serve the doctors well, and it is a reminder to others even those in medical school that medicine is not alpha and omega among courses.
This doctors will almost always want you to worship them b/c they read medicine.

They claim they are the best in society so they should be paid 10 times higher than all other professionals and then make them lords over every other medical professionals.

Mr. Doctor listen to me, Medicine is not better that history or anyother course.
You choose to be a doctor i choose to be somthing else, so why ll you lord over me?
You need to see the way doctors look down on nurses, pharmarcist,and other medical professionals.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ayox2003: 10:03am On May 11, 2012
ballabriggs: No wonder Politicians would build roads and tell these people "they are working". Do you people really know what your priorities are? If a government cannot develop health which includes its workforce then that government is a failed government. I have never heard Mr Cameron gloat over building or renovating roads, yet there is work going on from the M1 to 25. You hear them talk of the NHS, reducing unemployment or national security. Fashola must be told in clear terms to do what is right, I had been a fan of him but on this case, he is not getting it.
Same here.
He can never try that with lawyers!
Fashola is taking care of his lawyers and his Jugdes, Mimiko is taking good care of his Doctors and health workerS.
"Professional partiality!"
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 10:04am On May 11, 2012
alongeyink: Thhis is totally wrong I don't agree with Fashola on this at all.what he just did is just injustice he removed food from their table.and also gave them 2 days notice to move out from the apartment I bet it people like Fashola can not rule Negeria.Cos if he does he will rndermany people homeles.HE can not manage comunity believe you me people oustside don't really knw what is goin on underground.And I hope as time goes on we shall all understand better.

They went on strike without following due process and were sacked. No wrong doing there. It's not by force to work for LASG.

ballabriggs: No wonder Politicians would build roads and tell these people "they are working". Do you people really know what your priorities are? If a government cannot develop health which includes its workforce then that government is a failed government. I have never heard Mr Cameron gloat over building or renovating roads, yet there is work going on from the M1 to 25. You hear them talk of the NHS, reducing unemployment or national security. Fashola must be told in clear terms to do what is right, I had been a fan of him but on this case, he is not getting it.

I like how you discuss. Its not always straight forward comparing a developed country to a 3rd world country. Priorities are different in both country. And we also run a different type of government. Slowly but surely, Nigeria shall become great, but what we are against is the activities of some union that are trying to bring the state down on his knees.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by dmainboss: 10:05am On May 11, 2012
Sometimes it is useless posting on these forums. You can just see the trend. All ACN and Yoruba folks will automatically jump in support as far as it is an action from an ACN governor. If it was a PDP or APGA governor, they will rain insults. Logic goes thru the window and then they will claim they are being objective. It has become a stereotype! It is actually boring now. The only good thing is that karma always wins. What goes around comes around!
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 10:07am On May 11, 2012
ayox2003:
Same here.
He can never try that with lawyers!
Fashola is taking care of his lawyers and his Jugdes, Mimiko is taking good care of his Doctors and health workerS.
"Professional partiality!"

I beg to disagree, do you know a lawyer in Lagos state civil service on level 15 earns circa the same amount as an house officer(level 10) fresh from university? Do you think the lawyers are not underpaid?
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ballabriggs: 10:11am On May 11, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
Guy stop all these lies, joor! Portharcourt is more expensive than Lagos, and I don't see doctors in PH or any other places striking like nepa lights or abandoning their patients, after every 2 months in the name of strike.

By the way, why are you always quick to mention London, UK ? You think say na moi-moi to be doctor for UK? No be pap ooooo.

You guys in Lagos are just greedy.

Now I say you are myopic! The number of people in Lagos, the stress in Lagos cannot be compared with any other place in Nigeria. That is the idea behind a higher wage for Docs and Health Workers in London. From what I have seen, the government has been able to cow the other unions- remember Comrade Akele who was eased out by Tinubu. Unfortunately the Doctors are more enlightened and the same can't easily be done with them. It is not moimoi to be a Doc there but a lot of Nigerians are Docs there, so what you on about?
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by stagger: 10:11am On May 11, 2012
isleman: I suggest same treatment for lecturers. These people are asking for too much. They eye government officials' spending while they are also well paid for their services rendered. Anyone of them who is interested in government officials' allowances should join politics.

You are indeed very st/upid. Where will you recruit the lecturers from? DO you know how many years it takes to train a lecturer? It takes 6 years to train a doctor in the university, but at least 10 years to get a lecturer who will commence work at the lowest lecturing cadre.

There are too many people thinking with their b/utt holes on Nairaland, and you are apparently one of them. What of the senators who are collecting N42million every quarter in allowances? Who are the people who are taking all the money in this country?

Sh/ut the hell up!
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by lukkie(m): 10:12am On May 11, 2012
Most Nigerians are empty heads who don't know their rights, esp the young people. Fashola is turning into an EMPEROR and you're sheepishly hailing him. O ma se o!
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ballabriggs: 10:12am On May 11, 2012
princey83:

I like how you discuss. Its not always straight forward comparing a developed country to a 3rd world country. Priorities are different in both country. And we also run a different type of government.

They went on strike without following due process and were sacked. No wrong doing there. It's not by force to work for LASG.

I like how you discuss. Its not always straight forward comparing a developed country to a 3rd world country. Priorities are different in both country. And we also run a different type of government. Slowly but surely, Nigeria shall become great, but what we are against is the activities of some union that are trying to bring the state down on his knees.

Mr man in placing priorities for a developing nation, health has to be one of the critical sectors to focus on.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by emmydex(m): 10:18am On May 11, 2012
@bellabrigs, I concord wt u. Spending 6yrs in med sch was neva beans, wt d whole expensive medical books. Only to graduate to be paid stipends. The govt of lagos, hw much do they collect as allawee, all their travel allowance and etc nd more so afta 6yrs, one wud spend close to 6yrs or more to bcome a consultant. Abroad, drs dnt go on strike because they r well paid for their jobs. But Nigeria everything is different. D drs recruited wud soon leave cos they wil need to renew their licenses wt MDCN, then they will be hooked.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Machini(m): 10:19am On May 11, 2012
Lord help me, d doc dat ws interviewed said 'we r hopin dat by nxt week THINGS WILL PICK UP' Put in other words: "we r hopin dat by nxt week MORE LAGOSIANS WILL FALL SICK" Na wa ooo.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 10:20am On May 11, 2012
ballabriggs:

Mr man in placing priorities for a developing nation, health has to be one of the critical sectors to focus on.

Yeah, by going on strike as if its running out of fashion and using the lives of patients as bargaining chips. That's callous and wicked. If they had left 20% of their workforce to cater for patients, things wouldn't have gone awry. Anywayz, to the sacked ones, their services may be needed in states that pay higher and FG would be recruiting soon. And to the new doctors in the employ of LASG, I say cheers and wish them all the best in their career.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by lifestyle1(m): 10:20am On May 11, 2012
I love this Guy called FASHOLA, A man of action, a man of no non-sense, I wish the slow poke GEJ Could emulate Him Nigeria would have been a better place to live. grin

To the greedy doctors take this tongue
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ujem(m): 10:20am On May 11, 2012
Hmmmmmnnn I weep for this apology called Nigeria!!Hard working men and women are given the boot Just because they ask for fairer working conditions whilst illiterates and semi-illiterates rule us and reign supreme collecting Jumbo packages! for doing absolutely next to nothing in case many have forgotten it takes 8-10yrs to become a medical doctor given Nigeria's sorry educational system no thanks to the same idiots in government yet some people have the temerity and audacity to taunt and laugh @ this Noble men and women yet we root and cheer for thieves.. shocked

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by chuks49(m): 10:21am On May 11, 2012
ayox2003:
May His soul Rest in Peace.
But blame not the Doctors. Its because of Govt's insincerity.

You think the govt is solely responsible for the problems in the society?
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 10:26am On May 11, 2012
ujem: Hmmmmmnnn I weep for this apology called Nigeria!!Hard working men and women are given the boot Just because they ask for fairer working conditions whilst illiterates and semi-illiterates rule us and reign supreme collecting Jumbo packages! for doing absolutely next to nothing in case many have forgotten it takes 8-10yrs to become a medical doctor given Nigeria's sorry educational system no thanks to the same idiots in government yet some people have the temerity and audacity to taunt and laugh @ this Noble men and women yet we root and cheer for thieves.. shocked

It takes 7-9years to become a pharmacist or lawyer as well and m sure they did not go to uni to admire buildings and structures. Should those ones go on strike as well for being underpaid?
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Tinkinguy(m): 10:30am On May 11, 2012
It is dishearten to say the least, to see people clapping on this kind of action.
I don’t support Doctors or any professionally based persons to neglect their duties especially when it’s critical, however if there's an agreement between 2 people, Mother Nature requires both parties to keep to their terms of agreement.
The governor has quickly replaced the doctors and brought in new ones, who will act as zombies, even when things are going wrong because they can’t shout or whistle for fear of being sacked, and we are clapping for him, when this issue will escalate to other areas, which I envisage will happen at tine “T”….and probably many people who are closer to us are affected, then our views will change.
The doctors we see today replacing others, will be replace in a short while with another, once the hit comes on, because it will surely come.
Before you say, its because he is a doctor, am not one..............and also don’t have any relation of sort working for Lagos Govt, but equity is key when handling issues btw 2 parties.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Facts About Malaria!! / COVID-19 Update For September 29 2020 In Nigeria -(3,815 Tested)) / COVID-19 Update For December 20 2020 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.