Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,480 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

External Device Control - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / External Device Control (990 Views)

Help! My External Hard Drive Is Inaccessible / How Much Can I Get A External Cd Rom For My Mini Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

External Device Control by stevoddy(m): 2:48pm On Nov 14, 2007
Hi folks,

Please I need a software that I can use to manage any external device like USB connected to a system under the same domain in such away that, from a stand alone server , I can deny the access or the use of the external device for security purpose and to redeuce the rate at which virus is being infected to to my office network.

Thank you all as you are giving an instant response.
Re: External Device Control by mmonwuba(m): 2:52pm On Nov 14, 2007
i hope i am not jumping. but whats the os you are running on ur server or what is your network topology like?
Re: External Device Control by Maleeq(m): 7:25pm On Nov 14, 2007
@stevoddy

Its possible to achieve that. You can define a domain wide policy to enforce the restriction. I have a template file that can do this but its on my system at work.

I'll get it and post the procedure (not an everyday person's task!!! grin) 2moro.

Cheers
Re: External Device Control by Maleeq(m): 12:06pm On Nov 15, 2007
Ok, I am back

Here:

1- Download the file "dis_usb.adm" that I have attached to this post. The contents of the file creates the necessary registry policy that restricts USB devices. Save this file to "%rootdrive%\windows\inf"

2- Start the command prompt and type in "gpedit.msc" to start the group policy object editor. If you intend to apply it through out the domain, then open up the "Active Directory Users And Computers" and choose the edit policy option on the Organizational Unit that contains the computers you want to apply this policy to.

3- In the group policy object editor, right click the "Administrative Templates" under the computer configuration node and select "Add/Remove templates". Click on "Add". By default, the \windows\inf folder would open up. So, just select the "dis_usb.adm" file and click close (NOT the x button at the top of the dialog).

4- A new node I named "Custom Policy Settings" should now appear under the Administrative template node. Click it and then select the "Restrict USB Drives" under it.
- By default, you may not see any entry on the right hand panel. To override this, click "View -> Filtering" and then uncheck the "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed" option.

5- Simply enable the option "Disable USB Devices" and close the group policy object editor. Your clients pcs would have this replicated to them at the next policy refresh interval set or you can force a policy update if you want.

Cheers!

Re: External Device Control by stevoddy(m): 5:07pm On Nov 15, 2007
Thank you Maleeq I will get back to you as soon as I try it.

I'm using windows server 2003 for the server and windows XP for the workstation.

Thank you so much for your good response.
Re: External Device Control by Maleeq(m): 10:02pm On Nov 15, 2007
Kool!

(1) (Reply)

Retrieve Files Off A 'Bad' Hard Drive - HELP!! / New Windows Virus - Conficker! / Cant We Have A Chatroom On Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.