Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? (33166 Views)

Four Reasons Why Lawyers Are Like Condoms / Is There An Online Directory Of Nigerian Lawyers Available? / Diminished Responsibility And Criminal Law-a Question To Nigerian Lawyers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by SNCOQ3(m): 6:11am On May 12, 2012
[img]http://4.bp..com/_ZgBSRLjnI18/SwoopiOhdeI/AAAAAAAAAAM/7_yS3Hzgy9w/S240/Barristers+wig.jpg[/img]

Moderator would you please stick a poll on this topic? Thanks.

Maybe we should write a petition to the house of assembly with plenty of signatures.
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Godsave9ja: 6:26am On May 12, 2012
Knegoyon: When will Nigeria stop wearing wigs looking like fools to the entire world?

I came across this article look how we look totally stupid to the world.

Check more pictures here:
Is now the time to remove wig wearing as part of court dress in Africa’s Commonwealth of Nations and those in the Caribbean?

http://dilemma-x.net/2012/05/09/is-now-the-time-to-remove-wig-wearing-in-africas-commonwealth-and-caribbean/

[img]http://dilemmaxdotnet.files./2012/05/bahamas-02.jpg?w=540&h=360[/img]
How I wish they will use this wig to pass a law against MTN because of this their useless Modem that rips people off.
How can one click one thing the 100MB will just go like that. and what you are downloading is not upto 2MB.

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Godsave9ja: 6:28am On May 12, 2012
Please pass a law to stop all this Modem that rips Nigerian off, please i beg u people in the authority. How can one be slave to government and to foreign companies.
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Nobody: 6:31am On May 12, 2012
Mcheww abeg wats my own business with their helmets. Majority of lawyers are broke people. grin
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by ZUBY77(m): 6:32am On May 12, 2012
They are other things we Nigerians should scrap from our colonial mentality as well. Not just the wigs. We are so engrossed in White man's antics that we even forgot that we are a different race.
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by ayobase(m): 6:40am On May 12, 2012
Phonon: To connect more with our African roots, I suggest that they substitute the wigs for 'gele'.NONSENSE!

And d men on ''fila abeti aja''.
so hilarious!
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by i1: 6:51am On May 12, 2012
I hate it when non lawyers come out and spill nonsense αll in the name of posting. If you are not a lawyer you will never understand the essence of the wig. We want our wigs the same way we want †☺ wear silk in future. We are not ridiculous when we wear it. Do you know the sense of pride aπϑ confidence I feel when I don my wig and gown when appearing in court?
Let the wig stay!!!
Ps. Even if you talk, posts etc from now till thy kingdom come if the top echelon of the legal proffesion says let Τhe wig remains it remains.
Anofia people/ amebo... Just dey chook mouth into wetin wey no concern them. Make doctor comot hin scrubs Αnd police their uniform or bankers make dem comot suit begin dey wear ankara go work.

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by SNCOQ3(m): 7:18am On May 12, 2012
i.:
I hate it when non lawyers come out and spill nonsense αll in the name of posting. If you are not a lawyer you will never understand the essence of the wig. We want our wigs the same way we want †☺ wear silk in future. We are not ridiculous when we wear it. Do you know the sense of pride aπϑ confidence I feel when I don my wig and gown when appearing in court?
Let the wig stay!!!
Ps. Even if you talk, posts etc from now till thy kingdom come if the top echelon of the legal proffesion says let Τhe wig remains it remains.
Anofia people/ amebo... Just dey chook mouth into wetin wey no concern them. Make doctor comot hin scrubs Αnd police their uniform or bankers make dem comot suit begin dey wear ankara go work.
Whats the essence of the wig? Please enlighten us...please

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by gbadexy(m): 7:25am On May 12, 2012
dayorx: As usual we are quick to condemn what we have got. i think whether or not lawyers retain their wig and gown is a matter for them to decide. i am a lawyer and i think it is prestigious.however some lawyers choose to look scruffy in the attire, i think they r just dirty people because a right thinking person would not wear a dirty gown to court....whether or not we wear the attire it does not change the fact that our laws and our entire criminal justice system needs to be overhauled..
just like when the police uniform was changed it still did not stop them from collecting N20 on our roads
Chei learned colleague! so the wig is our heritage? when the colonial master that it is their traditional gown has phased it out.
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by gbadexy(m): 7:35am On May 12, 2012
i.:
Let the wig stay!!!
Another silly remark.i guess lawyers are not learned after all.you heard that the wig and gown is simply the colonial masters traditional attire.even they now find it irrelevant.how can you compare a doctor's scrub that protects him from infection and tissue stain with a silly costume?the americans look smart and proffessional in suit

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by joudini(m): 7:40am On May 12, 2012
i.:
If you are not a lawyer you will never understand the essence of the wig.

Then its a shame if the British whom all the basis of the Nigerian law is built on has outlawed it and you are still talking of essence.

The British didnt know the essence of the wig when they stopped the practice?

If you need a piece of clothing to give you pride and confidence, then you need to see a psychologist.

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by EEkeson: 7:43am On May 12, 2012
Wearin wigs or not how does dat affect d justice we need. Mak una talk better tin
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by EEkeson: 7:48am On May 12, 2012
Pls niger dat u call wig is there crown diginity n dat I ve been fightin 4 years 2 get
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Kay17: 7:54am On May 12, 2012
Its separates lawyers from regular businessmen, give the court that atomsphere of sobriety and trust. Items of the dressing are like badges signifying position, yrs of practices, level of judge, SAN etc.. It helps.
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Kay17: 7:57am On May 12, 2012
Isn't it worse to blindly follow the Europeans and discard it??
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:01am On May 12, 2012
Some people are just hopelessly lost and deluded. undecided
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by komols856: 8:06am On May 12, 2012
that is what that makethem to lie, be greedy and cheat, and not being able deliver justice.
as far as am concerned, lawyers are hindrance and set back to our nascent democracy.
shame on them for those in nigeria and africa
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by SNCOQ3(m): 8:08am On May 12, 2012
Kay 17: Its separates lawyers from regular businessmen, give the court that atomsphere of sobriety and trust. Items of the dressing are like badges signifying position, yrs of practices, level of judge, SAN etc.. It helps.

We appreciate the symbolism of their attire but we aren't saying the symbol should change - just the ridiculous wig and gown to something more suitable, dignifying and possibly, unique.

[img]http://dilemmaxdotnet.files./2012/05/ghana-supreme-court-01.jpg[/img]
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by alasibanz: 8:11am On May 12, 2012
So suit isnt traditional attire of the west. call for its removal is simply envious of the noble profession. it is only worn in the court....
gbadexy:
Another silly remark.i guess lawyers are not learned after all.you heard that the wig and gown is simply the colonial masters traditional attire.even they now find it irrelevant.how can you compare a doctor's scrub that protects him from infection and tissue stain with a silly costume?the americans look smart and proffessional in suit
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Eltonluigi(m): 8:14am On May 12, 2012
jerseyboy: A visiting American saw bunch of Nigerian lawyers and asked if they were going to a costume party
Lmao! My lil cousin was even askin' if is halloween
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Eltonluigi(m): 8:14am On May 12, 2012
jerseyboy: A visiting American saw bunch of Nigerian lawyers and asked if they were going to a costume party
Lmao! My lil cousin was even askin' if is halloween.
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by zikclassiq(m): 8:18am On May 12, 2012
Its old fashion. B4 B4 stuff
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Knegoyon: 8:18am On May 12, 2012
It's a sickness.

Did you notice how that article tied in the African and Caribbean wig wearing to those that enslave them with that video and those slave action papers?

http://dilemma-x.net/2012/05/09/is-now-the-time-to-remove-wig-wearing-in-africas-commonwealth-and-caribbean/

When will Africans take pride in Africans and stop trying to act like they are from Europe?

We have so many of our own beautiful traditional formal clothing that we can use that style of dress instead of using wigs and European court sytles.

What was the purpose of gaining independence from European nations in the first place if the goal was to keep Africans and blacks in the Caribbean looking like fools to the entire world? Africans and blacks in the Caribbean get no respect from India, Pakistan, China, Japan or any other nations that were once occupied by European empires.
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Eltonluigi(m): 8:20am On May 12, 2012
joudini:
If you need a piece of clothing to give you pride and confidence, then you need to see a psychologist.
Ouch!

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Rotmyt: 8:21am On May 12, 2012
[I can bet that majority of these comments were made by 'non lawyers'. Let the lawyers complain. Till then, sorry. The opinions of 'laymen' dosen't matter to those who decides weather the wig should go or stay.
Btw, everyone on this thread re-echoes the same thing-colonialism. For the sake of academic exercise,please give more reasons that would give credence to your claims. And for those who think all lawyers are poor,I think you should conduct a poll.

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Knegoyon: 8:29am On May 12, 2012
The lawyers aren't going to comment. They are the ones that are looking like the fools. How can one that dresses like a fool in the world even know he or she is one?

So, never expect the lawyers and judges that are in Africa and the Caribbean who wear these wigs to make a negative comment about their court dress. They will not. They are the ones that are sick in the mind and do not know it. It's called being brainwashed. Brainwashed people don't know they are brainwashed. In fact, the brainwashed person will defend their actions and will even show anger that one even questions their actions.

So, no the laywers and judges that wear the wigs will not say anything....they think they look normal and they think they look respectable. They don't even think they look like fools. Take note of their serious expressions when they are having their photos taken with those wigs on their heads. Yet, they think they look good. ....But, they look like fools to the world.

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:36am On May 12, 2012
So we should wait for people who are mentally sick and brainwashed to diagnose themselves? Smh

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Yvvette(f): 8:38am On May 12, 2012
Dat wig tin silly n ugly gan!
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Olatad: 8:40am On May 12, 2012
I dont think wearing wig or not should be the issue,the issue from my own point is the debate on our legal system.It needs total overhauling to show the true picture of the modern world.Less i forget,they stil wear wigs in the British courts.
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Nobody: 8:50am On May 12, 2012
SNCOQ3: [img]http://4.bp..com/_ZgBSRLjnI18/SwoopiOhdeI/AAAAAAAAAAM/7_yS3Hzgy9w/S240/Barristers+wig.jpg[/img]

Moderator would you please stick a poll on this topic? Thanks.

Maybe we should write a petition to the house of assembly with plenty of signatures.

I support you sef. What is the point of the wig...It smells colonialism to me especially in an important arm of government.

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Nobody: 8:59am On May 12, 2012
i.:
Let the wig stay!!!

Oga lawyer I knew someone will eventually come with this kind of argument. It's quite different. Doctors wear their scrubs for a purpose... To avoid blood spills on their clothes and for protection. The clothes are usually white or blue because those colors encourage good health... How will u feel if the doc abt to carry out an operation on u is dressed in black or red. Pls what purpose does the wig serve minus boosting ur egos and reminding us that we once slaves to the whites. Anyway I know u be lawyer so u go still talk ur own. I dey wait.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Experience With A Random Warri Boy / NBA To Investigate Prof Ndifon, Baddest Lawyer, Adamawa REC, Others. / Man Sells Pure Water In A Corporate Wear In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.