Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,832 members, 7,817,432 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? (28240 Views)

Pilot Stayed Till 3am At The Strip Club And Resumed Flying Airplane This Morning / Nigeria, S/africa Approve Visa Free Regime To Officials / Detention And Strip-searching Of Nigerian Priest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by TheArbiter: 11:50am On May 14, 2012
The US Supreme Court ruled on April 2, 2012 that officials can strip-search suspects for any arrest, however minor the offense, before admitting them to jail—even if there’s no reasonable suspicion that the individual has contraband.

What’s the proper way to conduct a strip-search?

Start at the top and work your way down. Policies regarding the proper time and place for a strip-search vary from state to state and facility to facility, but they all prescribe the same basic procedure. The security officer takes the person to be strip-searched to a private place, asks him to remove his clothes, and then inspects each garment, one at a time, running fingers over any seams to make sure nothing has been sewn inside. Once the subject is naked, the search proceeds from top to bottom and front to back, with the officer giving instructions on what to do. First, he orders the subject to run his hands vigorously through his own hair, to show there’s nothing hidden on his scalp. Then he tells the subject to pull his ears forward and turn his head, to show there’s nothing tucked behind them. Next, he instructs the subject to tilt back his head to reveal the nostrils, and roll his tongue around in his mouth. He might also ask the subject to pull his lips away from his gums, and lift his arms to show there’s nothing in his armpits.

A strip search in progress

Then on to the torso and lower body. Female strip-search subjects are asked to lift up their breasts and open their legs. Men lift up their joysticks and scrotums, and, if they’re uncircumcised*, they pull back their foreskins. At this point the guard tells the subject to turn around, so they can start again at the top. Now the subject has to ruffle the back of his hair, and bend over with legs spread. The guard might say, “squat and cough,” with the aim of dislodging an object stored in the rectum or vagina. The strip-search ends with the subject’s being asked to show the bottoms of his feet.

It sounds like a lot, but with a normal, cooperative subject the procedure shouldn’t take more than about five minutes. A suspect with dreadlocks can be more difficult to search, since the hair-ruffling technique isn’t quite as straightforward. Those who are wheelchair-bound also pose special problems. Those who absolutely refuse to follow instructions, and whom the officer suspects of concealing contraband, may be tied down to a gurney.

Body cavity search in progress

To be clear, a strip-search is different from the more invasive “body cavity search,” which has an officer inserting his hand into the subject and is generally performed only as a last resort. If an individual is suspected of concealing contraband in his or her rectum, and a standard strip-search turns up nothing, there are a few different ways the officers may proceed. One option is to keep a suspect in isolation to see if he or she eventually excretes some unauthorized material. Another makes use of something called a “Body Orifice Security Scanner,” which works something like a metal detector for your nether parts.

Bola Adebisi was subjected to a strip search and then an internal body scanner

Different kinds of security personnel learn how to conduct strip-searches in different ways. Federal corrections officers study and memorize the procedure at the Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, Ga. After learning the basics as part of their three-week classroom training, they practice on mannequins or on other trainees (who remain fully clothed).

By Forrest Wickman
Link: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/04/supreme_court_strip_search_decision_how_to_check_someone_for_contraband_.html
Pics sourced from Internet.
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 14, 2012
if anyone commits a crime then they should be strip searched before being locked up, of course!

as for Airport searches, i fully approve as i dont want to be the sorry ones who get blown away at 11000feet. yes, it is a pain in the [b]a[/b]ss but needed. in the US they raise it a notch and have you remove your shoes etc a few times but if thats a problem to anyone they should either NOT travel to the US (or transit through there). et voila!
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by valencia25(m): 4:54pm On Jun 04, 2012
Some should Confirm if there's something happening at Third Mainland Bridge https://www.nairaland.com/955251/another-disaster-waiting-happen-third#11010599
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 04, 2012
perfectly ok with airport strip searches. Rather be stripped naked than get blown up over the atlantic because someone needs to appease his god with blood.
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by ebamma(m): 5:13pm On Jun 04, 2012
there are 2 many jihadist these days, so it's better to be inconvenienced than to die.
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by reloboy(m): 5:28pm On Jun 04, 2012
This kind of searching is too baaaaaad......
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by jude33084(m): 5:42pm On Jun 04, 2012
grin ;DIs it Bola Adebisi that owns that flat backyard? cheesy cheesy
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by manny4life(m): 5:52pm On Jun 04, 2012
Demeaning? Speak English grin grin grin

YES, I'm perfectly OK with it
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Pennywise(m): 5:54pm On Jun 04, 2012
I have no objection. But travellers should at least have the priviledge to decide among which of the airport security personnel conducts a search. I mean I cant imagine myself appearing nude b4 another man for any reason.
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 04, 2012
I support d strip searches,they shud go to any extent in searching 4 evidence in a suspect's body,within nd without.but i wudnt tolerate anyone sticking his hand in my rectum...gosh! Xray scanners shud do d job
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by GboyegaD(m): 6:02pm On Jun 04, 2012
I don't have a problem with the strip search provided there is a reason for it. If you do not have suspicious materials on you, they wouldn't go as far as stripping you so why worry?
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Javanian: 6:15pm On Jun 04, 2012
Pennywise: I have no objection. But travellers should at least have the priviledge to decide among which of the airport security personnel conducts a search. I mean I cant imagine myself appearing nude b4 another man for any reason.

so you prefer being searched by a woman?
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Peterson1993(m): 6:25pm On Jun 04, 2012
shocked see white yanch ooo. Na inside yanch con be the place when them de hide bomb now? Comot your hand for there jhoor
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by uchlukez(f): 6:26pm On Jun 04, 2012
If searching their vagi.na can guarantee security, I am game[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by NwaNimo1(m): 6:29pm On Jun 04, 2012
They are unlawful and you have the right to not consent.

Its a 'Human Right' to go about your business without being molested or abused - if this is no longer the case then let all men go grab the nearest woman and start feeling her up under the guise that you are fighting terrorism!

There is no law that requires you to be subject to such treatment - and as for these silly acts politicians and lawmakers come up with - do not consent to them!
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Pennywise(m): 6:30pm On Jun 04, 2012
Javanian:

so you prefer being searched by a woman?

Well, considering I didnt ask to be searched!

uchlukez: If searching their vagi.na can guarantee security, I am game[color=#006600][/color]

If women are similarly given this priviledge you may have men volunteering for free thereby reducing the total cost of running airports. All they need to do is report for duty with hand gloves and wait patiently.
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by KayDee4: 6:36pm On Jun 04, 2012
Never a problem for me, I'll rather be frisked on the ground than fried in mid-air.

However, I always prepare for it; don't wear or carry things that will subject you to extra scrutiny.
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by iykak47: 6:53pm On Jun 04, 2012
Don't they trust those (their own technology} scanning machines again, why manual? undecided
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jun 04, 2012
davidylan: perfectly ok with airport strip searches. Rather be stripped naked than get blown up over the atlantic because someone needs to appease his god with blood.

I totally agree with you dude. Can't trust these boko guys these days
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Seamate(m): 10:18pm On Jun 04, 2012
Strip searches don't really show nudity, only a kind of picture that looks like negative
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Joseph28: 8:08am On Jun 05, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Pennywise:

Well, considering I didnt ask to be searched!

If women are similarly given this priviledge you may have men volunteering for free thereby reducing the total cost of running airports. All they need to do is report for duty with hand gloves and wait patiently.
I like this.
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by gReenmAn(m): 12:57pm On Jun 05, 2012
I once had to endure a strip search at Heathrow airport.
The experience left me somewhat aghast, but I eventually simply ticked it off as one of those life experiences, especially as I should have seen it coming.
...of course, nothing was found on me grin
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Sesan2: 3:23pm On Jun 06, 2012
MRbrownJAY: if anyone commits a crime then they should be strip searched before being locked up, of course!

as for Airport searches, i fully approve as i dont want to be the sorry ones who get blown away at 11000feet. yes, it is a pain in the [b]a[/b]ss but needed. in the US they raise it a notch and have you remove your shoes etc a few times but if thats a problem to anyone they should either NOT travel to the US (or transit through there). et voila!

So making you remove your shoes is a notch over having a finger poked up your bum?
Re: Are Airport Strip Searches Demeaning: Do You Approve The Practice? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 21, 2012
Sesan2:
So making you remove your shoes is a notch over having a finger poked up your bum?

when did you ever have a finger up your bum during airport search?! if you ever had then i sincerely do feel sorry for you.

(1) (Reply)

Where Is PANYA In Nigeria? / Rail: FG To Ban Heavy Cargo Transport By Road / "Ebonyi International Airport To Be Completed In 2022" - Governor Umahi (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.