Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,383 members, 7,846,620 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Speaking In Tongues: Is It Essential To Salvation? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: Is It Essential To Salvation? (871 Views)

7 Main Steps To Salvation / Speaking In Tongues: Is It A Mere Religious Exercise?? / Speaking In Tongues: Is It Real Language Or Garrulous Babble? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongues: Is It Essential To Salvation? by Havilah93(m): 10:02am On May 16, 2012
Beliefs on the subject of speaking in tongues are quite diverse. Everyone cannot be correct on this subject.
Must a believer speak in tongues to be saved? Are tongues that important for today? Is there an unbiblical overemphasis of
tongues in Pentecostal churches? Have tongues ceased? Are some tongues of the devil? Is it just one of the many gifts of the Holy Spirit that you may receive?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It Essential To Salvation? by Goodyman(m): 10:41am On May 16, 2012
Speaking in tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit - 1 Cor. 12:1-11. It is also an evidence of having the baptism of the Holy Spirit. But speaking in tongues without obeying the commandments of God or doing His will cannot guarantee one to be saved. A true Christian should strive to be holy, for without holiness no one can see God. It is true that Satan or his agents also speak in "tongues". Remember, Apostle Paul said that Satan can also transform himself
into an angel of light and one of the things Satan does is to duplicate everything that is God's and that also includes speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues have not ceased. In fact, it is an indispensable tool in our warfare prayers against the Devil and, indeed, a potent weapon against Satan. In other words, it is still very relevant today. Nonetheless, I admit that it is being abused by some fraudulent Christian and Satanic agents, but they will surely pay for this unholy act.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It Essential To Salvation? by go4value(m): 10:56am On May 16, 2012
when d holyspirit is resident in a man,speaking in tongues becomes the manifestation.its not a must dat u must shout while speaking in tongues,we still hv some christians,who are just emulating it,therefore fake ones d o.but a christian CANNOT live a glorious life without d holyspirit.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It Essential To Salvation? by ProPastorChris(m): 7:17pm On May 16, 2012
@ op

Must a believer speak in tongues to be saved?
NO

Are tongues that important for today?
very yes and not only for today but always.

1Co 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
1Co 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Is there an unbiblical overemphasis of tongues in Pentecostal churches?
no cos you cannot overemphasize the importance of talking with God.

Are some tongues of the devil?
1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
so if there can be tongues of men and angels then you must expect tongues of devil which you cannot speak except you are one of them!!!

Is it just one of the many gifts of the Holy Spirit that you may receive?
anything you are given without paying is a gift, so definitely its one of the gifts of the Spirit you may receive.

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It Essential To Salvation? by Ptolomeus(m): 7:27pm On May 16, 2012
SATAN SPEAKS IN TONGUES TO CONFUSE FOOLS
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It Essential To Salvation? by Havilah93(m): 11:01pm On May 16, 2012
Goodyman: Speaking in tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit - 1 Cor. 12:1-11. It is also an evidence of having the baptism of the Holy Spirit. But speaking in tongues without obeying the commandments of God or doing His will cannot guarantee one to be saved. A true Christian should strive to be holy, for without holiness no one can see God. It is true that Satan or his agents also speak in "tongues". Remember, Apostle Paul said that Satan can also transform himself
into an angel of light and one of the things Satan does is to duplicate everything that is God's and that also includes speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues have not ceased. In fact, it is an indispensable tool in our warfare prayers against the Devil and, indeed, a potent weapon against Satan. In other words, it is still very relevant today. Nonetheless, I admit that it is being abused by some fraudulent Christian and Satanic agents, but they will surely pay for this unholy act.
i actually know a man who starts to speak in tongues immediately a prayer session commences. Does this also mean he's 'spirit-filled'? Cos i think IMO that he fakes it(no hating)
Re: Speaking In Tongues: Is It Essential To Salvation? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:24pm On May 17, 2012
Havilah93:
i actually know a man who starts to speak in tongues immediately a prayer session commences. Does this also mean he's 'spirit-filled'? Cos i think IMO that he fakes it(no hating)

If I were you talk to the pastor, because it probably is not the holy spirit, and is a demon.
The Holy Spirit not many people choose to protest, and if it does, it makes sense to speak in the vernacular.
You analyze it.

(1) (Reply)

Attacking A Straw Man! / Does Holy Water Have An Expiration Date? / When Was The Last Time You Prayed For Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.