Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,955 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

How Do You Cure Depression? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do You Cure Depression? (2786 Views)

How Did You Cure Typhoid Fever? / How To Cure Depression Without Drugs / How Do You Cure Mouth Odour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Cure Depression? by depressed: 5:04pm On Mar 30, 2006
How do you cure depression? Have you ever been depressed?
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by shadex1(m): 5:49pm On Mar 30, 2006
I hope this is gonna be of some help to you.
If you're feeling down, the worst thing you can do, is think about how you are feeling. The first thing you have to do is stop thinking about you. The second is to get your body in motion. The third is to do a selfless act. Let's get started shall we?

I feel,  most depressing thoughts start with "I feel" follow by tired, or lazy, or depressed,  snap out of it by doing something. The easiest thing to do, and the easiest way to stop thinking about how you feel, is go for a walk. Doesn't matter rain or shine, 20 minutes later, you're going to feel very different.

Same thing if you suddenly jump to your feet and do 25 jumping jacks. Your heart will be pounding, your breathing will be heavy, you'll have flushed all sorts of toxins out of you body and released all sorts of good hormones.

Our blood is moved around our bodies by a circulatory system. But most of the fluid in our bodies is this yellowish stuff called the endocrine system. It's in charge of moving around all the hormones that get released into our bodies. Ones that make us feel bad,  or great.

Without exercise all that gunk just sits in there. That's why we feel good after exercise. We've essentially washed away the bad stuff. Trust me, you might be grumbling and cursing me for the first 10 minutes, but after walking for 15 you'll feel pretty good. Once you hit the 20 minute mark, you'll feel like walking for hours.

See you're feeling better already. The first step to beating depression, is to get into motion. You'll find that your emotion, will always follow in step with your motion. Simply get into action, even if it's just bouncing a ball for 10 minutes, and you'll suddenly a whole lot better.
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by depressed: 5:53pm On Mar 30, 2006
Thanks i really need the help my mind was thinking of the worst to cure depression and we all know what that is.
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by depressed: 6:09pm On Mar 30, 2006
Anyone else have any ideas?
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by shadex1(m): 6:37pm On Mar 30, 2006
Hey Be EASY men.its all good amma still send you some tips, aight, dont do the worst.lol, be easy
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by Seun(m): 9:31pm On Mar 30, 2006
Well, I know someone who takes anti-depression pills and they work. So meet with a psychiatrist. Real depression is more than just "feeling sad". Also there's a type that's chronic but not disabling - you feel bad all the time, but you are still able to execute your duties, so you just keep persevering instead of seeing a doctor.
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by richolly(m): 12:30am On Mar 31, 2006
taking anti-depression pills will certainly cause more harm than good on the long run. addiction to the pills will make you feel than you can never be happy without taking it.

there are easier ways of curing it,

first of all, dont call yourself "depressed" and dont see yourself as being depressed.
secondly, recall those things that used to make you happy and try to do them again if you can but if not, just relish those moments.
thirdly, this may sound stupid but you can write few good statements and start declaring that you are happy. doing this consistently will make you feel better and then happiness sets in.
lastly, once you have that happiness, no matter how little, dont let it go. do whatever you can to keep a good state of mind eg reading motivational books, talking to friends, e.t.c

the picturing power of the mind, as you must have heard several times is the easiest, simplest and cheapest way to get yourself out of any seemingly difficult situation. try as much as possible to forget those things that are getting you depressed and move on with your life. you are not the first person to be in this state and will definitely not be the last but remember, there is always a bright light at the end of the tunnel
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by Seun(m): 12:42am On Mar 31, 2006
Have you ever experienced depression or are you just spouting bullshit? I told you it's not about feeling sad. It can really affect every aspect of your life. You can lose all your friends, etc. All because you refuse to take a pill.

In addition, almost all anti-depression pills are not addictive. What you said above is like saying that someone with rheumatic should not use aspirin or else she may get used to it and feel she can't live with it. The truth is that "duh, she can't and it's a reality not a feeling!". It's like saying that someone in Africa should not use pills when down with malaria. The truth is that you have no choice.

People think the mind is like a computer that is controlled entirely by thoughts, but in reality it's also controlled by chemicals and sometimes those chemicals can go out of balance leading to painful debilitating conditions and depression just happens to be the most common. Even the so-called "demon-possessed" mad people respond to simple pills.
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by richolly(m): 12:20am On Apr 01, 2006
@seun

who's "spouting bullshit"?? ehn? there are better ways of passing messages across and please, dont EVER write to me in such a manner. by the way , what do you know about depression? dont EVER think your own opinion/advice should be taken by everybody.
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by Tallulah(f): 11:29pm On May 09, 2006
Olly

You are right taking anti depressants can cause more harm than good, my friend had depression and when her Gp prescribed pills to her, which alot of medical advisers in the uk would tell you is not alway the best way, she became better initially , but then felt unable to function without them. She heard on a Tv show called trisha that exercise is one of the best cure for depression because it releases endophines or something ,and unclogs the mind. She started running 2miles daily and is better for it.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by Eastcoast(f): 3:26pm On May 12, 2006
depression could be really bad. There are different options available depending on what kind of depressive disorder. the patient could try anti depressant drugs like tricyclic antidepressants, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors,or atypical antidepressants. If these drugs doesn't work, it means the patient is experiencing a serious bipolar disorder and lithium drugs are the only option available. For the folks that don't enjoy swallowing pills, there is the electroconvulsive therapy and psychosurgery/lobotomy. If your all about ethics, the ECT shocks would really not be for you cause itz use is effective but questionable. then i would tell you that you gotta try something other than biomedical therapy such as cognitive therapy, group therapy or even psychoanalysis/psychodynamic therapies.
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by jonjon(f): 4:47pm On May 25, 2008
Seun seems to be a bit on edge these days, i always knew him to use moderate language.

Anyhow, if the poster is talking ordinary feelings of depression i.e. unhappiness, he should avoid the reasons for his issues if he can and look for joyful things to distract his attention.

But if he is talking clinical depression, it's a whole different ball game, that is a serious illness that can kill.
First of all he needs to see a doctor, any doctor and tell all his issues and symptoms, usually lack of appetite, zero self esteem, crying all the time, feeling unloved, lack of interest in things around him and in extreme cases, suicidal thoughts. He'll probably find himself being involved in some irrational acts that normally he would never do, just to get high.

If you are given medicine please use them regularly. And if heartbreak is the reason for your wahala try to get rid of whatever reminds you of the perpetrator.

Wish u well.
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by Seun(m): 10:35pm On May 25, 2008
Seun seems to be a bit on edge these days
I wrote that 2 years ago. It's ridiculous that people who know nothing about depression are advising against drugs that can help people who actually have to live with the problem. Drugs that can make you a productive member of society once again.
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by sleekgold: 5:59am On Mar 08, 2009
Thanks A lot for the post, was under 6 month treatment in UCH last year coz i was depressed, it takes a alot of time, but still you need to forget the past the past and move on, get new things done, and dont be idle, thats it!!
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by sylink1: 5:56pm On Apr 22, 2009
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by seyibobo(m): 2:54pm On Apr 25, 2009
The secret to avoiding and treating depression lies in
being happy at all times EVEN IF your present condition
does not allow you.

Also avoid worrying and live in the present.

Do not smoke or drink because you are depressed.It
is not gonna help you at all.

Have a healthy diet.

All the best.
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by therapist: 6:39pm On Apr 30, 2009
Depression is the result of imbalance in the overall energy field of the individual. Because this imbalance is not perceptible except by the sufferer, many do not appreciate the wieght. Drugs will help lift you up because it creates an euphoria of a balance, the sufferer momentorily feels better. But after the effect is gone, the depression comes back simply because the energy is yet to be properly balanced.

Imbalance in energy field can be caused by past life pressures, anger, childhood experiences, disaapointments, loss of loved ones which lead to disruption in the energy fields. Depression is one of the consequencies or results. Drugs attach what has manifested as results but not the causes.

My advise is that you seek out an Energy Therapist who will help balance your energy field and the depression will go. I gurrantee you that.

A direct Therapy-
If you like, a simple exercise to do is to tap (eitherside of) of your collarbone with your fingers (2 or 3 of them together) several times while saying "I forgive myself, even though I have this depression". Take three deep breaths in and out while doing the tapping.

Try this and post your reaction. or call me on 08027759667 or 08037227334. I will guide you more if you join our GIET Club where we advise members on how to manage psychological and physical problems with simple energy therapy methods.
www.gietclub.ning.com
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by mohawkchic(f): 3:43am On May 01, 2009
~Am no Therapist & cant give you any advice but Here's a very Insightful thread i came across on here,might help reading about other people's experiences & know you're not alone!

Many People Are Suffering In Silence. It's Called Depression! Lets Talk About It

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-131043.32.html
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by beneli(m): 3:22pm On May 01, 2009
tranxo:

The 'modern' medical system treats depression with anti- depression drugs which provide
temporary relief but have harmful side-effects and do not remove the causes or prevent its
recurrence. The harmful side-effects include gross liver damage, hypersensitivity, insomnia,
hallucinations, a confused state, convulsions, a fall in blood pressure which brings on headaches
and dizziness , blurred vision, difficulty in inhaling and urine retention. .[/b]

Your information is NOT as 'modern' as you may think. Most of what you've written is so 20-30 years ago!
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by stephanay(m): 5:01pm On Feb 25, 2010
its a very serious issue
spiritual, physical and mental exercises may help
tk care
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by mohawkchic(f): 12:07am On Feb 26, 2010
~Posting names of Anti-depressant w/o a prescription aint a good idea! Might do you more harm than good!
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by Sista(f): 9:01am On Feb 28, 2010
@Depressed

You don't need to take anti depressants and I hope that yo haven't done that. I suffered with depression for a very long time and believe it or not, it wasn't until I got into Astrology that I was able to control my natural tendency towards depression. I will go into this more but I just realized that I didn't check to see when it was the last time that you posted. I will see if you come back and respond to this post first before I go into detail.

Hope all is well wink

Sista
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by H2O2: 9:08am On Feb 28, 2010
Is that a Sista sighting ? shocked
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by Sista(f): 10:16am On Feb 28, 2010
Yup, it's Sista shocked

Sista
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by H2O2: 10:19am On Feb 28, 2010
Yea it's been a minute.  Good seeing you rear your rare head up.
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by Sista(f): 11:45pm On Mar 06, 2010
Thank you, by the way, I don't remember you.

Sista
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by Sista(f): 11:50pm On Mar 06, 2010
@H2O2

You've changed your name, ?

Sista
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by H2O2: 11:54pm On Mar 06, 2010
From what to what?

My names may have been perhaps numerous and uncountable? Lol
maybe not?
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by mamagee3(f): 11:58pm On Mar 06, 2010
They're Depression medications in every pharmacy. . .
You can get one. . .
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by Nobody: 3:43am On Mar 07, 2010
mama-gee:

They're Depression medications in every pharmacy. . .
You can get one. . .

olodo ,you mean there are Anti-depressant drugs? grin grin see you using They're like it is a living thing

@poster

go get anti depressant drugs, thats if you are still alive
Re: How Do You Cure Depression? by lalaboi1(m): 3:49am On Mar 07, 2010
jennykadry:

olodo ,you mean there are Anti-depressant drugs? grin grin see you using They're like it is a living thing

@poster

go get anti depressant drugs, thats if you are still alive
@ JennyKadry, we hear you, ehmmm, do you remember hacker1848 ??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fear Of Ebola: This US Air Passenger Isn’t Taking Any Risks At All [PHOTO] / How To Last Longer In Sex Without Using Pills / man-lover Man, Hiv+ve, 44 Cured By Colloidal Silver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.