Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? (1771 Views)

Nigeria Using UK Aid To Persecute PMB's Political Foes Rather To Fight Boko Hara / Toyin Saraki Speaks At United Nations Event... See Photos / Al- Mustapha Has Forgiven All His Foes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by toshmann(m): 7:46pm On Mar 30, 2006
Brothers, i have watched overtime the flow of international politics. i have seen how the US, UN,EU etc have given assistance to African countries. but there are questions beyond these assistance. foreign aid is usually tied(conditional) and these conditions are usually against poor African countries interests. the issues in WTO(World trade organisation) ensure that africa remains poor forever and the powers that be wont change it. when we need these guys most, they fail us. they failed us in somalia, they failed us in liberia, they failed us in sierra leone, they insulted us in rwanda(when they prefered to save animals than Africans)
but information is distorted by western media. e.g, Mugabe has been the leader in Zimbabwe, we never knew how bad he was till he turned against the british, then we saw, steadily on BBC how despotic mugabe is.

my question is;do you think these guys(US,UK,EU,UN)Really love Africa truly.?
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by Zahymaka(m): 9:52pm On Mar 30, 2006
I don't think so. I've always maintained that even though we're "free", we're not really free. There's still something called imperialism.

I really believe that if any president makes a move that isn't beneficial to the powers-that-be and refuses to back down even when threatened with debts, he'll be assassinated. I also believe that they have a hand in our politics. It takes time but someday I truly, truly hope that they'll get exposed for what they are.

Face it -- Nigeria is far richer than the United States so if we ever make it to the top, they're doomed.
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by mochafella(m): 10:35pm On Mar 30, 2006
toshmann:

my question is;do you think these guys(US,UK,EU,UN)Really love Africa truly.?

Why do we need them to love us?

I can understand the poorer African nations but there is no reason why we Nigeria should require aid from anyone. Before we blame anyone for their "hate" of Africa, we should look at ourselves. The foreign media can exaggerate or show only the bad stuff, fine. Foreign countries can look down on us, fine. But we should realise that we will always be lightweights in international politics as long as we are lightweights in trade/economics. We don't have to trade with the US or Europe to be economic heavyweights. The African market alone is almost a billion people, Asia even more, all apart from our over 100million people.

Anyone historian will tell you that to be strong in international politics you have to be strong economically or have nuclear weapon. The connection is undeniable.

Fixing our economic issues means fixing our internal political issues, so until our politicians start to show us love, don't expect any foreign govt to show you love. Afterall they obviously will love their citizens more than you.

1 Like

Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by Rottweiler(m): 12:29pm On Mar 31, 2006
THERE'S NO FREE LUNCH IN FREETOWN! That's what I tell people. Once you are willing to ask for and receive assistance from a third party you should magnanimous enough to live with the conditions otherwise, you turn it down. Even blessings from God come with conditions! You must keep the 10 commandments.

In every society or association, there's always an appointed or self appointed leader. In the present world there are power blocs. This is not unusual. To be reckoned with, you must earn it, you can't beg for it and no one would dumpt it at your feet.

We should put our house in order one way or the other. There's politics everywhere, even in our homes. We should stop grumbling, instead ensure that our leaders transform this country so that we can be reckoned with.

On the Mugabe issue: When he was fighting against apatheid, we considered him a hero. But now there's no apatheid to fight, so he has turned on his people. And that's the truth. Did the western world make him do that? I was in South Africa a while ago when I read about his retirement mansion. Gawd!!! I puked. This mansion, is worth more than the present presidential palace (~£3.75million). On record he has officially earned less than £630,000 since coming to power about 23years ago. In a land that has been ravished by famine. And we blame the west for picking on him.
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by Idekeson(m): 3:16pm On Mar 31, 2006
There are no permanent friends or enemies, but permanent interests in international relations.
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:32am On Apr 01, 2006
well said idekeson
is bush fighting a war on terror, or stealing petrol from the middle east?
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by Zahymaka(m): 6:39am On Apr 01, 2006
For all I know they haven't turned up a single WMD or any of the nuclear devices they said were there.
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:48am On Apr 01, 2006
Capitalism is the worst form of Govt shocked shocked shocked There I said it
Makes the poor poorer and the rich even Richer
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by omogenikky(f): 8:34pm On Apr 01, 2006
I would love to know what these two clowns are talking about:

Obasanjo: Hey Georgie, you dey look good lately O! how you dey do am, with all these democrats on your neck?
Bush: Mr. Africa, all these democrats fear me; they know that I can send them hunting with Cheney --- call it a bipartisan accident,
Obasanjo: Georgie, you dey smart O!!! I want to be like you, tell me how to stay in power for another third term, you know -- the style you use win your election the first time,
Bush: For you, that's easy, just invade Niger and Chad, then tell the world they're harboring WMD and Osama, then call the French to come clean up the mess,
Obasanjo: Georgie, he be like say Naija people smarter than that O! By the way I saw Laura for hallway, she dey look fine, fine, how she dey do am -- na she be real first lady O!
Bush: Oh Laura, she exercises everyday --- runs 2 miles daily and eats very healthy.
Obasanjo: That na wetin I dey tell Stella O! but no, the lazy woman wan do tommy-tuck,

on and on with more non-value added exchanges,

Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by Rhodalyn(f): 8:36pm On Apr 01, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by toshmann(m): 9:54pm On Apr 01, 2006
@ omogenikky,

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by mingiix: 4:51pm On Apr 02, 2006
smiley wink wink wink wink wink
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by raphy(m): 9:38pm On Apr 03, 2006
@ omoge
na true u dey taik ,my sister all that 1 obj don ask am make una dumbs up 4 d babe tongue wink
obj dey ask mr geoge wich kind cream d make blak man dey yellow wel wel abi na lie cheesy grin
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by oyinboaja: 10:04pm On Jan 28, 2007
na wa oh
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by lewa(m): 7:15am On Jan 29, 2007
Look at Bolivia, Equador and Cuba they don't need the UN or US!How many resolutions at the UN have been kept by the powers that be?We can take care of ourselves, we don't need anyone, only that the individual is yet to come lead us!
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by amaikama(m): 2:16pm On Aug 31, 2007
they are worst than Lucifer himself angry and some stupid African Leaders run to them with their tails behind their back for loan for their pocket all in the name of rebuilding one infrastructure or the other and such international community never bordered to check mate them on the said loan they took. i tell you both are worst than Lucifer i tell you angry
Re: United States, United Nations And Africa: Friends Or Foes? by tck2000(m): 9:00am On May 30, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Should Bush Be Prosecuted For War Crime? / Somalia One Country,one People,one Language? Case Study Abi For Seperatist! / Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.