Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,156 members, 7,821,933 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues (13567 Views)

How Sexual Abuse By Male Police Officers Fuels HIV Among Female Colleagues / Lagos Ebola Patients Neglected,critically Ill – Relatives,colleagues / UCH Doctors Suspend Strike For A Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Mynd44: 5:47am On May 18, 2012
IKEJA – The face–off between the Lagos State Government and sacked 788 doctors, yesterday, took a dramatic turn, as doctors in federal hospitals in Lagos, said they will today embark on an indefinite solidarity strike.

The federal hospital doctors called on the National Assembly to urgently wade into the crisis between the Lagos State Government and the sacked doctors for speedy resolution of same to prevent further loss of lives.

Patients who may want to go to federal healthcare centres and hospitals may have to go elsewhere to get treatment, as the strike will affect admission of new patients into all the hospitals in Lagos.

The hospitals include; Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LUTH; National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi; Federal Medical Centre, Ebute-Meta; Federal Psychiatric Hospital, Yaba, among others.

The striking doctors under the umbrella body of Nigeria Medical Association, NMA, Lagos State Branch, said the indefinite strike was necessitated by the failure of the state government to recall the sacked doctors under its employment.

At a briefing, in Lagos, President of Association of Resident Doctors, ARD, Branch of Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LUTH- ARD, an affiliate of NMA, Dr. Adetunji Adenekan, said all emergency units will be locked, clinic will not hold and no new patients will be admitted, explaining that only patients on admission will be attended to.
www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/fg-doctors-to-join-striking-colleagues-in-lagos/
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by GboyegaD(m): 5:55am On May 18, 2012
There are better ways of showing solidarity than going on strike. Their profession has to do with lives as such, there is a need to weigh the pros and cons of their decisions. Fashola and his cohorts doesn't visit the government hospitals therefore, their decisions wouldn't hurt him. NMA should interfere and get Fashola reverse his silly decision through some form of negotiations. The guy has messed up big time and I hope he would be reasonable enough to correct his mistake.

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Mynd44: 6:11am On May 18, 2012
Unfortunately, the Lagos state's policy on terrorist is not to negotiate with them unlike the federal government. The coming days is bound to be interesting

2 Likes

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by ektbear: 6:17am On May 18, 2012
What the fvck type of bulls1t is this.

Solidarity strike?

Because the Lagos government didn't recall its employees? What business is it of yours who the Lagos government decides to hire or fire?

These doctors are all crazy.

The unions 100%, absolutely must be broken.

Evil and monstrous entities, unions.

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by ektbear: 6:18am On May 18, 2012
So these guys enjoy free accommodation while they strike, no?

Why on earth does either the state or FG offer free housing?

Don't they realize that it makes it easier for the doctors to strike?
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by ektbear: 6:19am On May 18, 2012
Fashola should stand firm, and refuse to back down. The doctors must learn who is the employer, and who is the employee.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Mynd44: 6:25am On May 18, 2012
It is obvious that these doctors don't want to work. I foresee a repeat of the situation that happened when the tanker drivers threatened to go on strike because of the LAST. Fashola simply went on TV, explained the problem to those that employed him(Lagosians) and asked them to be patient with him as they( the drivers) were being unreasonable and told the drivers to go to hell
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 6:28am On May 18, 2012
wetin concern fed with state...lol
drama never ends in naija.
As long as tinubu is in ACN, nothing might change. I remember how obj wanted to bring Lagos on its knees but tinubu stood his ground for several months and won. Lagos is unstoppable. A group of people or union can't fight the masses and win.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Mynd44: 6:46am On May 18, 2012
princey83: wetin concern fed with state...lol
As long as tinubu is in ACN, nothing might change. I remember how obj wanted to bring Lagos on its knees but tinubu stood his ground for several months and won. Lagos is unstoppable. A group of people or union can't fight the masses and win.
Later some dumb doctor will come to Nl spewing thrash about how important they are
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 6:51am On May 18, 2012
Mynd_44:
Later some dumb doctor will come to Nl spewing thrash about how important they are

If they are important as they claim to be, then its not by force to work with the LASG, they can just apply to fed jobs since their trade is in high demand.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 6:58am On May 18, 2012
ekt_bear: What the fvck type of bulls1t is this.

Solidarity strike?

Because the Lagos government didn't recall its employees? What business is it of yours who the Lagos government decides to hire or fire?

if u are going to be a business owner, you dont want unions - if u are going to be a worker, you'd best belong to one

in the us where workers rights are protected it is easy to see unions as evil . in nigeria, a union is often the only thing protecting workers from shark entrepreneurs

bank workers are not unionized which is why we see people being sacked without notice and denied their gratuities.

it is why the likes of adenuga can run companies like their personal fifdoms, demanding that after working till 12 midnight, people should show up for a 3am meeting

without unions different co workers would have been victimized

of course, businessmen will do thei best to do away with unions hence the thid party contract staff etal

in this matter both parties are at fault, but lasg crossed the line when they sent police to break up the doctors meeting to discuss a strike

you may see it as a victory of sorts for lasg, but all they are ultimately doing is compromising the quality of healthcare for the future

i also wonder where the new doctors are coming from, as ALL doctors are under NEMA.

trying o play along with the govt because you want employment. . .tomorrow if lasg breaks agreements with them who will stand up for them/

you think the little guy doesn't need protection?

ekt_bear: Fashola should stand firm, and refuse to back down. The doctors must learn who is the employer, and who is the employee.

this is support for the darker parts of capitalism

3 Likes

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Mynd44: 7:02am On May 18, 2012
Yeah unions are important but the NMA has become a Bunch of thieves who have compromised their oaths
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by ektbear: 7:04am On May 18, 2012
Oyb, explain to me the sense it makes for doctors working for the FG to be striking "in solidarity" with doctors working for a state government.

Should doctors in Zamfara also strike because of a local labor dispute in Lagos?

What of doctors in Zimbabwe?

What justification do they have to strike, given that they have no grievances with their employer?
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Mcdondayan: 7:06am On May 18, 2012
My question is, is it by force to work for the lagos state govt? I think he shld focus on recruiting more docs who are willing to work in lagos owned hospitals. These guys deserve no mercy at all. Imagine how many pple ll die in these fedral hospitals because of "the solidarity strike"
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by ektbear: 7:11am On May 18, 2012
Solidarity strikes should be illegal.

If you have no beef with your employer, then you should not be permitted to strike.

Especially if you are an essential worker like a doctor.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 7:12am On May 18, 2012
na waoh, I wonder when national union of teachers would strike as well cos the quality of education is being compromised by politicians and they are seriously underpaid, I wonder when policemen would strike cos security is being compromised and they are seriously underpaid, I wonder when Nigerian society of engineers would call a strike cos the engineering & tech is being compromised and they are seriously underpaid. I wonder when the nurses council of Nigeria would call a strike.......The list is endless. We are in a 3rd world country and the doctors should deal with it. They should stop playing god with lives of people.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 7:18am On May 18, 2012
all the doctors are under a single umbrella body

some members of the body have been victimized because in nigeria, there is no way to force/hold govts to agreements

the situation has escalated to this because of the high handed attitude of lasg in this matter

it is also a message to other governors who will start getting ideas about 'breaking the doctors' and playing games with healthcare

sadly in a country where governments flout court orders, this is the only message the govt can understand

you may see doctors in nigeria as doctors in the us.

it is not like that. nigerian doctors are often underpaid and overused. if the govt has its way, medicine will be like a vow of poverty.

Nigerians are not much better, as they feel doctors rewards should be in heaven; always trying to get away without paying for healthcare etal.

the solidarity strike is a call for the fg/external bodies/mediators to enter into the matter, since in this case LASG has failed.

there is probably more to this case than meets the eye, but as the son and brother and friend of doctors, i can understand

in the 90s there was a massive exodus of medical professionals from nigeria.

lasg is setting a dangerous precedent by doing this, and the wrong reaction from nma will see this poppng up all over nigeria

most mediacl commisioners etal are usually political appointees who are incompetent as doctors and take decisions that will lead to stand offs like this
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 7:22am On May 18, 2012
ekt_bear: Solidarity strikes should be illegal.

If you have no beef with your employer, then you should not be permitted to strike.

Especially if you are an essential worker like a doctor.

yeah, you are an 'essential worker' like a doctor, but the govt should not realize that and make sure you are properly taken care of?

is that how it s done in the us?

even with the meltdown etal, doctors jobs and salaries have remained intact.

the conditions of seesntial workers should be such that they will never want to go on strike in the first place

or should one not be able to take care of one's family and send one's children to good schools because one is an essential worker?

doctors in some cases are almost working class citizens because of the nigerian attitude.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by naptu2: 7:24am On May 18, 2012
Unions became very powerful during the military era. They were one of the ways in which the people held the government in check.

However, I think the power they had has gone to their heads. The unions believe that the people will back them no matter what. Unions put their selfish interests ahead of the interests of the people and it is the duty of the government and the people to curb the excesses of the unions.

Tanker drivers park on the expressway, causing traffic jams and endangering the lives of the people. Whenever the government acts to dislodge them they go on strike, causing fuel scarcity and hardship for the masses. Because the government is always seen as an evil entity (reputation gained due to military dictators & corrupt politicians), the people side with the unions and pressure the government to back down.

Doctors go on "solidarity strike", endangering the lives of patients, although the doctors are being paid, etc. I believe it is one of such strikes, held a few years ago, in which state doctors went on "solidarity strike" with the federal counterparts, that finally turned Fashola against the doctors.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Ejine(m): 7:37am On May 18, 2012
The evils of capitalism.
SMH @ Ekt-Bear calling for the governor to continue with this madness. But hey, we can't blame you. Na Yankee you dey.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by ektbear: 7:59am On May 18, 2012
Let them continue to strike.

Hopefully they will be fired by their employer (FG).

If not, they will incur the anger of the masses as people are turned away from the federal hospitals in Lagos.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by ayox2003: 8:44am On May 18, 2012
When the hospitals were working well, many people died just because they couldnt see Doctors to attended to their problems - shortage of Doctors. Now, Fashola sacked those few Doctors and fails to replace them.
Has anyone of you visited any of the general hospitals, lately? See living skeletons!!! People are dying!!!!
Y'all supporting the Lagos state govt on this one are disillusioned. Tell me how the healthcare in this state will improve with this move. Lets see if the FG will sack all its Doctors too.
We will see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by pcicero(m): 8:51am On May 18, 2012
princey83: wetin concern fed with state...lol

And your Tinubu is bigger than the people of Lagos or the 788 doctors? I wonder when this mental slavery started in the south west. Big mumu
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by pcicero(m): 8:55am On May 18, 2012
[quote author=ekt_bear]Oyb, explain to me the sense it makes for doctors working for the FG to be striking "in solidarity" with doctors working for a state government.

Should doctors in Zamfara also strike because of a local labor dispute in Lagos?

What of doctors in Zimbabwe?

What justification do they have to strike, given that they have no grievances with their employer?[/quote

I am really concerned when most of you lose your objectivity when it concerns ACN. Were you not in Nigeria when ASUU went on strike because of state universities or for the sacked Unilorin lecturers? Is this the first time there will be a solidarity strike in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by ektbear: 9:39am On May 18, 2012
This has nothing to do with ACN.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm right-wing and pro-business on issues like this.

Solidarity strike is bullsh1t.

Unless you have a direct beef with your employer rather than somebody else's employer, go to work!

Moreover, how can you be striking and enjoying the free accommodation your employer has provided?

What sense does that make?

That is hypocrisy on the part of these so-called striking doctors.

If you believe in your cause so much, then vacate the free housing the FG is providing you.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Ibime(m): 9:46am On May 18, 2012
ekt_bear: What the fvck type of bulls1t is this.

Solidarity strike?

Shut the hell up!

If you dont know how key Unions are to civil society and Governance, best remain quiet.

Where you around in the 90's when the Unions brought IBB's regime to standstill?

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by phantom(m): 9:51am On May 18, 2012
grin grin grin.....stop complaining and go to 150k/night reddington hospital or better still fly your realations abroad like fashola.....clowns!!

2 Likes

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by jmaine: 9:52am On May 18, 2012
Both parties need to come to a compromise . .in as much as i feel the Docs are going to the extreme to hold the Gov to submission . . .The government can never win the battle with her high handed approach . . .

Both parties are just playing mindless stand off political games with the life of the commoner out there . .this is getting to ridiculous extremes . .Haba !!!!
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by otokx(m): 9:53am On May 18, 2012
The strike is a way of diverting the patients to their private clinics.

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by phantom(m): 10:02am On May 18, 2012
your tin-god sacks a whole institution(a no go area in civilized climes)and you applaud him....just get ready for the fallout!

1 Like

Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by Nobody: 10:09am On May 18, 2012
otokx: The strike is a way of diverting the patients to their private clinics.

Dont mind those sick minds. . .Let them all go on strike afteral the masses know who the real gladiator is.I just hope the FG can enforce the No work,No pay rule while the strike lasts.
Re: Federal Doctors In Lagos Begin Solidarity Strike For Sacked Colleagues by MrGlobe(m): 10:10am On May 18, 2012
Its about time these Nigerian doctors know they are not Gods. If the UN comes in and ask them why they are striking what will they say? You have govt house, good pay and you want more or else you will live people to die and you say you are humanitarian! F/cking sadist. I stand with Fashola 101% on this. These doctors can go to hell for all I care. Employ more willing doctors afterall some countries are managing well with lesser doctors/Nurses/Health workers. Nigerian doctors are overrated with their quackness. They need to be put in their place. This is f/king annoying

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For January 27 2021 In Nigeria / 12 Most Common Factors Affecting Female And Male Fertility / FCT Discharges 4 More Coronavirus Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.