Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,286 members, 7,836,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Fashola Renews Call For State Police - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Renews Call For State Police (8101 Views)

Court Renews Arrest Warrant On Tompolo, Orders Security Agencies To Produce Him / Nyako Vows To Sue Jonathan Over Funding For State Of Emergency / ANPP Declares Support For State Of Emergency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 18, 2012
Policing should primarily be the responsibility of the States. Also roads, resource control, etc. the FG will keep the military and a small well equipped Federal police to step in when required. This will help stem the tide of BH. If BH's targeting of Police officers were to result in the deaths of mostly Northern police officers, as would have been the case with State Police, the masses there would have revolted and finished the bokos.
Fashola is right, but he should use the Governors forum to propose and force it thru like they did with removal of fuel subsidy.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Maranzano(m): 11:11pm On May 18, 2012
Gov. Fashola's call for state police is an opinion strongly supported in many quarters. A well trained, well equipped and well remunerated police force enforcing laws that do not often contradict themselves or create avenues for corruption will always do well weither it is a state or federal police force. The peculiar religious and ethnic sentiments in Nigeria, the complex nature of our constitution and corruption has made many believe that we will fare better if each state has its police. Many states are multi-ethnic and have their challenges also. I think we need to critically look at this "UNIFYING DOCUMENT" called the constitution and amend it without ethnic or religious bias. Empower the State governors to live up to the security challenges in their states. If these issues are not addressed, even if we creat tribal police, things might even get worse.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by naptu2: 12:35am On May 19, 2012
In 2005 I wrote a paper on true federalism,fiscal federalism, resource control and derivation. I planned to update it, expand it and publish it on nairaland, but I just haven't found the time.

However, I would implore everybody to get a copy of the 1960 constitution and read what it says about local police, the funds of the federation and state symbols such as state constitutions, state flags and state coat of arms.

I've quickly typed out my thoughts on state police and I shall posts links to the 1960 and 1963 constitutions.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by naptu2: 12:37am On May 19, 2012
Local and State police have existed in Nigeria in the past (and they still exist today). Some people advocate for the abolition of state and local government police because they could be used by politicians to oppress their opponents. I believe the need for state and local government police far outweigh these concerns and that the functions and use of state and local government police could be controlled by such instruments as the constitution and the National Assembly to ensure that these concerns are addressed. Besides, if you say state and local government police should be abolished because of misuse by politicians, then you should also agree that the federal police should be abolished because of misuse by politicians.

State and local government police existed in Nigeria prior to 1966. The Ironsi government established the Gobir panel to consider the desirability of dual (local and National) or centralized (unified) police and prisons. The panel submitted its report to the Gowon administration and recommended the abolition of local police and prison services. According to the committee, the local police forces were poorly trained, corrupt, and used for partisan political purposes, including the repression of opponents by traditional rulers and politicians in Northern Nigeria as well as by political parties and governments in power in the Northern and Western Regions.

The Tinubu administration in Lagos was a great advocate of true federalism and it thus tried, through various means, to practice federalism (an example is the attempt to generate power for the state via the AES Barge). The administration set up LASTMA (Lagos State traffic police), KAI (Lagos State environment police), The Neighbourhood watch, CBD, etc. Some northern states have the Hisbah Commission (state religious/morality police).

State and local government police are required to meet the specific needs of each state and local government. In the past, the police were poorly equiped because the various divisions, area and state commands had to look to the Federal Government in Lagos or Abuja for funding for their basic needs. The Feds did not have the time, knowledge, money and other resources to meet the needs of the various police units across the country. Where they had the resources, issues of bigotry, corruption and incompetence hampered deployment.

The state and local governments on the other hand know where the show pinches, are closer to the people and it is easier for the people to hold them to account than it is to hold the federal government in far away Abuja to account.

Therefore, in recent times, state governments have had to step in to provide armoured cars, bullet proof vests, vehicles and other equipment and logistics to their state commands, yet they do not have operational control of these commands. For example, the Lagos State Government spends a lot of money to train policemen, yet, these policemen can easily be transfered out of Lagos by the Federal Government, which means that the state loses the expertise that it paid for.

The concerns of those who are afraid of state and local government police can be adressed if the role and functions of these police forces are regulated by the constitution and the national assembly. For example, there could be a law specifying the kind of arms that the state and local government police can use. These arms would be inferior to the arms borne by the federal police.

The existence of Federal, State and Local Government police need not cause problems. For example, in the U.S, President Kennedy federalized the Alabama National Guard to protect African-American students who were trying to register at the University of Alabama. This was despite the fact that. Governor George Wallace was pro-segregation.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by naptu2: 12:39am On May 19, 2012
The Constitution of The Federation of Nigeria, 1960

98. - (1) There shall be a police force for Nigeria, which shall be
styled the Nigeria Police Force.

(2) Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, the Nigeria
Police Force shall be organised and administered in accordance with
such provision as may be made in that behalf by Parliament.

(3) Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, the members of
the Nigeria Police Force shall have such powers and duties as may
be conferred upon them by any law in force in Nigeria.

(4) Subject to the provisions of this section, no police forces other
than the Nigeria Police Force shall be established for Nigeria or
any part thereof.

(5) Parliament may make provision for police forces forming part
of the armed forces of the Crown or for the protection of harbours,
waterways, railways and airfields.

(6) Parliament may make provision for the maintenance by any
local authority within the Federal territory of a police force for
employment within the Federal territory.

(7) Nothing in this section shall prevent the legislature of a Region
from making provision for the maintenance by any native authority
or local-government authority established for a province or any part
of a province of a police force for employment within that province.

(cool In this section "province" means any area that was a province
on the thirtieth day of September, 1954.
Control of Nigeria Police Force

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:HNeRFP3kAc0J:www.nigeriacongress.org/resources/constitution/nig_const_60.pdf+revenue+1960+constitution+nigeriacongress.org&hl=en
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by naptu2: 12:51am On May 19, 2012
The police in a federal state: the Nigerian experience
http://books.google.com/books/about/The_police_in_a_federal_state.html?id=BEoFAQAAIAAJ

HISTORY, CONTEXT AND CRISES OF THE POLICE IN NIGERIA

http://www.psc.gov.ng/files/HISTORY%20AND%20CONTEXT,.pdf
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Detongue: 1:38am On May 19, 2012
No way. Fashola and acn hv hidden agenda
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Nobody: 2:01am On May 19, 2012
Okija Priest:

Is that all!!

What about all those Yoruba touts and Ex-NURTW militia that would now be legally allowed to bare arms?! It would be a field day for Agberoism in all the western states..

Checkpoint scenarion in Lagos;

State Police; (in a hoarse voice) ARGH!! Omo!! See moto! Oga ejo park well..

Citizen: Hello

State Police: Kiloshe!! Funmi papers kia kia...

Citizen: What papers

State Police: Argh!! you are 'h'asking me what papers!! Oya bole!! Wa gba station!! You wii spend 5 night for station!! Beni!!

Abeg no o!! We no want!!

How is this different from what you have now? Relax, your "wetin you carry" police is not going extinct, their cancerous activities will only be curtailed.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by mbhs139(m): 5:32am On May 19, 2012
Baba_O:
It is either u are an arm robber that don't want armed robberies put to an end or you are a stark illiterate of the issue. If u are talking of using it as political weapon against opposition or federal govt, is the military not under the federal govt to curb their excesses?, just Gej rolling out millitary during subsidy protest in Lagos

You see people clamouring for betterment of the nation, and when suggestions are made, instead of proffering better ways to the suggested one, all they do is lampoon the ones suggested.

Be that as it may, I think our people need to be orientated on what is called 'federalism'. Too much long a military rule has made us loose touch of the meaning. We are a 'federal republic of nigeria' and yet some people are opposing state police.

I have always been a proponent of 'true federalism', where the federal government only takes care of our common interest.

The truth be said, I dont see what makes the hausa or igbo or yoruba man to be one and the same
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Gbawe: 6:01am On May 19, 2012
The NBA President also in support of State Police.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86506:-insecurity-nba-president-advocates-state-police&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Insecurity: NBA President Advocates State Police
Saturday, 19 May 2012 00:00 By Joseph Onyekwere and Florence Utor News - National

TO curb the alarming level of insecurity in the country, the National President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Mr. Joseph Daudu (SAN), yesterday proposed the introduction of state police, saying it is the answer to the nation’s security challenges.

Nigeria, he said, would be better policed by those who know their environment too well than those who are alien to the community.

“The nation, I think ,is better policed by those who know the terrain than those who do not know it. We need state police. Time has come for us to have it. To make this happen, we need to educate the elite on this,” Daudu said, adding that the state of the criminal justice administration gave rise to the problem.

Daudu who spoke in Lagos at the launch of a book: Commercial Arbitration Law and International Practice in Nigeria written by two senior advocates of Nigeria, Mr. C.A Candide-Johnson and Mr. Olasupo Shashore, former Attorney General of Lagos State, used the opportunity to dispel rumours that the NBA was planning to hold its delegates conference in Kaduna for selfish reasons, considering the insecurity in the state.

He explained that nobody would like to assemble lawyers in an insecure environment, maintaining that he has been assured all the security agencies that there would be no problem.

He stated that other professional bodies had or are still holding their own conferences in Kaduna State without any threat to their lives and insisted that it would be better to go to a place where the security apparatuses have been effectively deployed.

His words: “ANAN are holding their AGM in Kaduna. There is no day that a national event is not going on in Kaduna State. The security agencies have given their assurances.”
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by EPOMA(m): 8:26am On May 19, 2012
jason123: Fashola, GOD FORBID IT IN NIGERIA! You hear me so?! GOD FORBID IT!

So people like Ibori, Tinubu,Orji, Akala, OGD, Timpre sylva, Ohakim etc and co can hold us to ransom abi?! I reject state policing in JESUS NAME! Amen!
seconded, even with federal police someone like Godswill Akpabio was able to bribe his IGP to chaarge his opponent for treason if not for the federal court and he then brought him back and charged him in the state for murder, Nigeria is a joke for now , so make we leave this one. If we have state police , is he going to suggest for an institution like FBI
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by melvournis(f): 9:12am On May 19, 2012

As long as it is involved in the things money, what the police ah, the world is the black crow, as long as there is interest, again say they have rights, and we also have no alternative.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Litmus: 11:33am On May 19, 2012
Even now people moan everywhere in Nigeria that the police are in the pocket of local politicians, the rich and powerful etc. Actually,this is a clarion call in most of the so-called third world countries, if you're frightened of paramilitary-ism.

If the police were 100 percent scrupulous in Nigeria enough people will not understand what this means and they will complain or they will do so mischievously. So, yes, State police sounds good and there's the opportunity to get it right this time because they'd be starting from scratch. It would mean increased taxes and all that but, hay, that's the price you pay for wanting to live in the White-man-type-world.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by luvinhubby(m): 2:25pm On May 19, 2012
We have seen Fashola's idea of 'state police' in KAI & LASTMA. Both known outfits of aggressive high-handed tout.
Oga BRF abeg talk anoda one.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 19, 2012
luvinhubby: We have seen Fashola's idea of 'state police' in KAI & LASTMA. Both known outfits of aggressive high-handed tout.

So, Fashola will remain the governor of Lagos till the end of time? It is about the system not personalities. The Americans and the Europeans are not angels, they only make their system extremely hard for criminals to succeed. That is what we want for Nigeria.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On May 19, 2012
luvinhubby: We have seen Fashola's idea of 'state police' in KAI & LASTMA. Both known outfits of aggressive high-handed tout.

Abi!!! ROFLMAO!!

Na so una go see toll plaza in front of every the Police Stations . . . Pay-before-service
OR
if worse happen, LATSMA Boys go replace all Police men for the state. Na den we go hear win! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Abi!!! ROFLMAO!!

Na so una go see toll plaza in front of every the Police Stations . . . Pay-before-service
OR
if worse happen, LATSMA Boys go replace all Police men for the state. Na den we go hear win! grin grin grin grin grin

Really? I guess the state police will just be created without any laid out rules! Na wa o.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Kobojunkie: 4:07pm On May 19, 2012
luvinhubby: [size=13pt]We have seen Fashola's idea of 'state police' in KAI & LASTMA[/size]. Both known outfits of aggressive high-handed tout.

Abi!!! ROFLMAO!!

OR
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by aljharem(m): 4:13pm On May 19, 2012

So people like Ibori, Tinubu,Orji, Akala, OGD, Timpre sylva, Ohakim etc and co can hold us to ransom abi?! I reject state policing in JESUS NAME! Amen!

Gbammmm, another way of personal bodyguards
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Abi!!! ROFLMAO!!

OR

So, the whole country is obliged to go along with Fashola's idea of state police? SMH.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Musiwa49: 4:35pm On May 19, 2012
state police is the way to go, but it will not remove the issue of satellite pictures..
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by ismhab(m): 4:57pm On May 19, 2012
SAY NO TO STATE POLICE, BECAUSE THE STATE GOVERNORS ARE DICTATORS THEY WILL BE USING THEM TO INTIMIDATE THE COMMAN MASSES.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Kobojunkie: 5:03pm On May 19, 2012
I can't even think of a single Governor,at this time, who will probably not turn the police, if granted the right over them, into a personal army of some sort. What is worse is that in many of the states, chances remain high that only the elite will continue to enjoy the services of the force. Probably they, the elite, will have a better chance of being able to purchase for themselves a mini-24/7-army. Poor man go still dey suffer . ..

Worse, state police at this time will only help further legitimize sharia police force up north. Abeg, Mr Governor, do the job you were hired to do.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by juman(m): 5:38pm On May 19, 2012
I seriously hate one nigeria
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by ezurus: 5:53pm On May 19, 2012
Pls let them trash this issue of state policing, we dont need it and will never want it.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by true2god: 5:59pm On May 19, 2012

Pple dnt seem to understand the grave implication of state police to Nigeria's security. This state police will end up a willin tool to eliminate political opponents. Just like LATSMA, all the whole lagos agberos will bcom our police. God forbid! We shuld also note that this is not PDP-ACN issue cos both are the same, and to me ACN is even worse. We shuld not use our hand to creat more problems for ourselves.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 19, 2012
Kobojunkie: I can't even think of a single Governor,at this time, who will probably not turn the police, if granted the right over them, into a personal army of some sort. What is worse is that in many of the states, chances remain high that only the elite will enjoy the services of the force. Poor man go still dey suffer . ..

Worse, state police at this time will only help further legitimize sharia police force up north. Abeg, Mr Governor, do the job you were hired to do.

In that case, establish an independent Federal Police board or agency where cases of police brutality, abuse of power or negligence will be investigated and handed over to the courts if necessary.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On May 19, 2012
true2god: Pple dnt seem to understand the grave implication of state police to Nigeria's security. This state police will end up a willin tool to eliminate political opponents. Just like LATSMA, all the whole lagos agberos will bcom our police. God forbid! We shuld also note that this is not PDP-ACN issue cos both are the same, and to me ACN is even worse. We shuld not use our hand to creat more problems for ourselves.

What about the possible local problems? There was a time that it was widely believed that the police where in the pockets of some of the rich men in our area, growing up. These local champions where able to get away with crime .. . . na poor man dey suffer if things no go right.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by dasparrow: 6:17pm On May 19, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: IKEJA – Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, yesterday, renewed the call for the creation of state police.

Speaking on "Options and Strategies for Restructuring the Nigeria Police Force," at a public hearing on Police Reform in Nigeria, in Lagos, Fashola said: "The opposition to the establishment of state police structures in Nigeria has largely been driven by an exaggerated, misleading and unfounded precedent focusing on the abuse of state police through political interference and manipulation."

He noted, however, that "upgrading the existing police system as the central law enforcement institution in the country cannot occur in isolation. It must be part of an overarching restructuring of the total law enforcement infrastructure, including a reform of the criminal-justice system insulated from politics.

"It is, therefore, with total conviction that I believe that there is a need for the establishment of state police. If we say we are practising true federalism, then each constituent part of the federation such as the states, municipalities and federal government all have their autonomy for their daily affairs, while issues like international affairs, common currency, defence and other unifying interests are vested in the Federal Government."

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/may/18/338.html

I agree with Fashola though. There should be a state police and it should not just stop there. States should be responsible for generating their own income as well and stop relying on the federal governement. There should be less power concentrated within the federal government and more power given to the states.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by Ejine(m): 6:23pm On May 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Abi!!! ROFLMAO!!

OR

All you do is shoot down suggestions without providing any contributions of logical or intellectual significance.
What a waste.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by babapupa: 6:26pm On May 19, 2012
Fashola is wasting his time, they need to start planning how to leave this worthless federation. State police is not for everybody.
Re: Fashola Renews Call For State Police by otondo55: 6:28pm On May 19, 2012
This is another means of asking strengers to pay heavily or they go, state police will not be of any help in this country. We are not in love so its only in a Country with one group that can manage state police. pls lets talk of something more important than this issue.

Thank You !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aregbesola's Shameless Campaign Pictures / See What This Man Is Spotted Selling On The Streets Of Lagos (photos) / Convention: APC Stakeholders Move Against Buni Committee, Plan January 11 Summit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.