Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,422 members, 7,815,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. (16569 Views)

Long time married couples please? / Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? / To The Married Couples-please Help Say Something Meaningful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 19, 2012
What you are making is not bad but someone needs a second job to make that extra you need, you cant continue like this and think something will change, well dont get me wrong Miracles happen but except you win some kind of lottery and as per your credit cards, just pay the minimum payment for now until someone gets another job(second), Its just an advice, you dont have to do it........you can go back to school to do nursing and maybe relocate your family, you ll be laughing .. thats what i call a miracle

UK is saturated especially if you are non-professional.

I wish you all the best! smiley
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by EfemenaXY: 2:52pm On May 19, 2012
violent:

Most people with good jobs in the UK will not earn the amounts you've stated in your post. Analysts at Investment Banks will normally take home a gross of 45 grand a year (excluding bonuses), and these are some of the best paid people in the UK.

£45k is at the very bottom of the scale for Business Analysts in investment banking. That is with little or no experience esp in London.

@ Jenny nor come o! cheesy cheesy

@ poster, did you see my comment on mini cabbing for your hubby?
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 19, 2012
Too late @ Efemena tongue I am going to beg my husband to relocate us to the UK just for 6 months, so I can compare my salary here with the one I will make over there.

Just go and service ya car and pick me up @ Heathrow, make sure the car is a RR evoque. Failure to do this will lead to me vexing and not coming again grin
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by violent(m): 3:14pm On May 19, 2012
Efemena_xy:

£45k is at the very bottom of the scale for Business Analysts in investment banking. That is with little or no experience esp in London.

@ Jenny nor come o! cheesy cheesy

@ poster, did you see my comment on mini cabbing for your hubby?

In Corporate Finance and M&A, most Boutiques in London pay analysts with less than 1 year experience between 35-38k (Bonuses will typically be 25 to 50% of your salary) and if you've got 2-3 years experience, your base salary should be between 44 and 50k. (with bonuses exceeding 80% of your salary).....Vice Presidents will normally earn 90k with 200% of their salaries as Bonus and if you look in my previous post, i did say "excluding bonuses".
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by SisiKill1: 3:37pm On May 19, 2012
Johndoe100: @OP
Are you and your husband ready and willing to make some extra money? I mean maybe in the region of £3,000 per month? There are many ways, but they involve hard work and commitment. I have found that people especially the ones in the UK poo poo any business where you have to start small. When you start you will not be making £3,000 a month.
You will need to invest in the business, say £200 to get it off the ground. I say this mainly because I feel for your husband. If you are intersted, holla at me here.

After reading all she had to write, you still had to ask if they want to make money? undecided

If you have anything useful to add, do it and stop with whole self importance, beg me to help you schtick. That someone is seeking financial advice does not mean they are open to condescension.

Sheesh!

3 Likes

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by maclatunji: 4:15pm On May 19, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

After reading all she had to write, you still had to ask if they want to make money? undecided

If you have anything useful to add, do it and stop with whole self importance, beg me to help you schtick. That someone is seeking financial advice does not mean they are open to condescension.

Sheesh!

LOL, I don't think Johndoe100 meant to be condescending. This thread has been so nice, let us not that sparring O biko.

1 Like

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by SisiKill1: 4:34pm On May 19, 2012
Uncle mi . . .as far as I can see, it is still nice. At least twas until you came along and opened the door for my hubby Johndoe to think there is more to my mild wifely rebuke.

Sometimes uncle, the best way to to keep peace is not to flame the little embers that will no doubt die down if left alone. . .coz knowing Johndoe, he woulda probably ignored my post and moved on to something else. . . cheesy cheesy
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by minute(f): 7:16pm On May 19, 2012
You two should seriously consider getting another part-time jobs to help you out of the hole. It is better to have a bad no fun year

than a bad no fun decade. Here is a plan for you.

1.Make a budget. Make the budget a week before you get paid. A budget is not a punishment. It is a tool which will free you from ever
having to worry about money again. Put everything thing in your budget. Especially those annual, biannual or quarterly bills like car
registration,insurance ,etc. Give every pound you are going to bring home the name of where it's going.Add an "emergency fund" category
to your budget for 40pounds and save up until you have 1250- 1500pounds. Your emergency fund will help keep from getting into new debt
because of an emergency. If you can, set up a direct transfer to a savings acct for your emergency fund. That way it moves automatically
and you don't have to worry about it. You must cut your spending and live on less than you make.

2.If you are in this much "financial struggles" then why are you both spending 25% of your total income on transportation every month? And
you should stop using credit cards. They are like quicksand only the death is much slower. Be VERY careful what you spend money on,anything
that is absolutely NOT NEEDED don't buy.

3.Pay off your credit card debts and use cash only.

4. After you pay off your debts,add to your emergency fund until you have 6-12months of income saved up. Put that emergency fund into a liquid
money market fund or into a HSBC bank no-risk CD so that if you need the money you can take it out without penalty.

5a. When you have your emergency fund in place, add a category for "fun" to your budget. Save for a holiday,a vacation,a big screen,an i-pad or
dinners out, whatever goal you want. Remember to enjoy life.

5b.When you have your emergency fund in place, start saving for retirement. Join the 401(k) or 403(b)plan at work and contribute the maximum.
Your employer probably matches at least part of the contribution so why give up free money. Open a Roth IRA and contribute the maximum on a
monthly basis. If you start saving for your retirement now, you will probably retire a millionaire.

5c.When you have your emergency fund in place, start saving up for a car. Only buy cars or other things that depreciate, with cash. Save up for
a nicer car. That way you get the interest instead of paying the interest.

And always remember where there's a will there is a way.

3 Likes

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Busybody2(f): 7:44pm On May 19, 2012
Huh, is this the same UK that - approximately 1 in 25 of the workforce is on minimum wage of £6.08/hour and the average salary is £26,000/annum without tax oh - that you are struggling on your £2100/month middle-middle-middle-class salary undecided

There's a similar thread somewhere in the travel section with lotsa hints and tips to keep costs to a minimal level. Off to go and fish it out.
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Busybody2(f): 8:10pm On May 19, 2012
Eureka, eureka, I found it eventually, phew

https://www.nairaland.com/538108/calling-all-diasporans-hints-tips

1 Like

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Ruthabokoku: 8:31pm On May 19, 2012
Wow!

Thanks guys...I honestly didnt think anyone would pay attention to me and I appreciate each and everyone.

Efe, I def saw the mini cab comment and it has been noted as well.

lol @sisi on John's comments, I am sure he has experienced some nigerians turning up their noses thats why he asked that way. I dont blame him at all, I am still very much looking forward to his reply or email so we can discuss.

@busybody,
I am not complaining, its just that when I think of the future, I get really worried and I just needed to hear stories to encourage me. I thank God I even got more than just testimonies but very helpful hints to move us to the next level.
Like I say to my hubby, I don't like to look back and say everyone earns minimum wage. What of the boys in the city? what of doctors? what of people living here and buying property in Naija...I am not comparing myself to them but I am also aspiring to live well. We only live life once. Thank God we don't even run into emergencies as such in this country, if not how would we cope? I appreciate the link you sent, I am going to digest each and every post.

@minute,
I love you already..lol
Firstly, transportation is high because that is the only job I could get. I spend £280 on transport a month because I travel all the way to zone 1 from where I live. Zone 1 is the most expensive part of London transportation wise.
My hubby spends £200 on fuel every month for work, dropping the kids,dropping me at the station in the mornings, our shopping etc. Thats why transportation is that high. I am trying to get a job around my area working for the same company for now till I get my desired job.
A big thank you for all your free financial tips,some people charge a fee to supply this info smiley.
We would follow every step.

God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Ruthabokoku: 8:31pm On May 19, 2012
Double entry
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by TV01(m): 10:03pm On May 19, 2012
For the vast majority of Nigerians living in the UK the OP' situation is I would imagine quite "typical". Although individual circumstances may vary "within a range". Indeed, there are big earners within the community, but like the extremely impoverished, they would be the exception rather than the rule in absolute terms.

I would actually consider the stated joint net monthly take home pay to be within the bulge bracket, although perhaps not middle class per se.

I would think 2-5K p/m would capture most families. May sound like a wide range, but like Naijas would say it's levels. For many the difference would be taken up by larger house, nicer area, smarter car, better (fee-paying) schools. And yes there may be more bandwidth for contingency and "luxuries"

Other factors may come into play, immigration status, duration - i.e., been around long and have saved or managed to acquire property when prices where more reasonable vs. relatively recent arrival. Right now it's actually cheaper to own. It's scaling the deposit and creditworthiness hurdles that is hurting people.

I'm concerned about the hand to mouth situation, especially if it means no "rainy day" finance is in place. If so that has to be addressed as a priority. What happens if one of you loses your job? You both sound very sensible with your finances, so I am not faulting you here.

Are you looking for something transformational or just a marginal. Things are so structured, that marginal increments sometimes make little difference. A 10% increase would bring in approx 2.5 k p/a. That woud barely fund a trip back home or cover a move to a larger place or nicer area or a vehicle upgrade. This country has a funny way of swallowing any income? For things to get "gradually better", typically one must be working towards something or have the basis for that to happen?

Could the business you run with hubby be the key? If hubby is gifted as stated, why not look to form strategic alliances? Gifts bring one before people Se? What of friends, family or fellowship I thought I heard church)? Whether its working with, for, alongside or just gaining insight. That should go for both. Everything from money saving/home economics tips to solid business ideas. Thanks for the link BB, me sef go read am.

Op is appreciative of her blessings, which is really good. Always look to He from whom help comes. Maybe the miraculous will come into play.

There has been lots of support on this thread, not withstanding the odd "off key" post. I've little to add.

Don't tithe. But do give if able, there are always those less fortunate.
Please stay away from consumer debt as best you can.
Do try and find ways to treat yourselves.

I wish you and your family all the best.

TV

1 Like

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by cfours: 11:16pm On May 19, 2012
I would advice you to try to live below your means. It will be very inconvenient at first but you will be fine.

1 Like

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by cfours: 11:17pm On May 19, 2012
long post.lol
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Nobody: 12:18am On May 20, 2012
^^ Long but true. I was jolted back to reality when I read her last post about people building houses in Nigeria. I was honestly thinking that the top reason behind her wanting some financial stability was to provide very well for her kids never knew houses in Nigeria were more important.

Take your eyes off people that own millions in their back accounts cos you don't know how much they struggled or what they have done to get there. You are not them and they are not you. Your husband must be feeling depressed with the financial situation, please dont worsen his situation by reminding him of those that have houses in Nigeria. Women will kill to have a man like him, you read stories here of women married to jackasses. You on the other hand are lucky to have that man as your husband. Many couples like you's started off with nothing until God blessed them. Maybe CC's story will give you the slap you need to appreciate what you have now.

1 Like

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Kayyy: 3:14am On May 20, 2012
i know a business idea which should your husband be interested, he could actually make a living from , i live in the UK as well, but i dont know as regards his age and the fact that he is a family man if he would like the idea. i actually this as well when i couldnt get anything proffessional after my msc hee (studied environmental, health and safety), i learnt from nigeria guys who are doing well in this business although they are workaholic, it is car trade busines, the interesting thing about it is you only need to pick up your calls if people show interest in you cars hence you could do this trade along with your normal job.

Basically i learnt how to search for cars around UK through some websites and auction centres even private sellers, as i know a little about cars, i buy them at trade prices and offer them at retail prices on autotrader and other competitive site, believe me it is not as simple as it is sometimes but it is simple as well, the average profit on a car is from £300 + depending on the type of cars you buy and the capital you put in, understanding the car trade market in the Uk is important as well cos if you do, your cars would not spend an average of 2 weeks and you sell and get some returns, i have sold cars within hours, couple of days and sometimes months but i've made mistakes as well so i understand when my capital is tied down, but trust me with what i average monthly even my msc wouldnt pay me that, although i was fortunate to have up to 5-6 cars online every week,but trust me whether he would be interested to do it part time or make it a job, if he can learn the basic he would be amazed what he can make from it. as someone living in the west midlands i have numerous nigerian friends that have grown from 2-4 cars into have garages within 10 - 18 months, and with a sound business in the UK , comes huge benefits like major loans to business , large overdrafts , and so on, hope you read it and do more research and if possible let him give it a try, wish you all the best.
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by EfemenaXY: 3:26am On May 20, 2012
Don't you just love it when a thread oozes positivity? I must say, this is a fantastic thread. Infact one of the best threads I've come across in the family section for a while. It's good to see so many useful and mature contributions. A very positive thread indeed.

@ blank, that link of yours is excellent. I'm really learning a thing or two from it. smiley

1 Like

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Freesia(f): 7:11am On May 20, 2012
Ruth just know you're half way there with time your finances will improve there is nothing as bad as having all the money in the world and being in a horrible or lonely marriage with no peace of mind.I'm sure you have heard of couples with so much wealth but they live like strangers under one roof.Your husband loves you and adores you,You have been blessed with 2 kids there is a season for everything and soon enough you will be back here to tell us things have improved financially. God put that desire in your heart to want to live comfortably and with time that too shall come to pass.You have received a lot of advice from the Nairaland Family it's a good thing you have been sensible with your finances and are not swimming in debt hopefully you will soon get a second income that will be beneficial. You mentioned your husband does a good job with cutting your son's hair you could encourage hubby to make inquiries on where he can hire a seat and be a barber over the weekends. Have you ever considered moving out of London to say the West or East Midlands or up North e.g Manchester or Leeds? The rent and transportation would not be too high in those towns and there is a large african community too
.Another thing to mention you're both taxpayers have you applied for Child benefits or working tax credits it's not much but it is something. Don't give up and remember to thank God for taking you to bigger and better things in the very near future.God Bless You (I'm sorry about any errors typing from my phone)
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Ruthabokoku: 7:40am On May 20, 2012
Oh dear, Jenny! I think you got me wrong. Building houses in Nigeria is not my priority at all and I was only saying to Busybody that I like to look ahead not behind. I was stating examples only.I am not looking at or comparing myself to millionaires in a bad way but in a postive way. I am aspiring and aiming to get there someday, through hardwork and dedication. Like I stated earlier, I had dreams from when I was a young girl which everyone has and I know it can ony be delayed but not denied.
To my husband, I respect him so much and can never say anything to depress him rather I show him all the love I can. A man that hands in all of his salary except the money he keeps for fuel in a month. I can't remember when last he bought a new item except for an occasional bottle of perfume he gets once in 3 months and on top of it takes care of his whole family. I would be wicked to start saying hurtful things to him, money is not everything and God can bless anyone at anytime.

Thank you to everyone TV, Cfour, Kay and Freesia.

Kay, I would note down your suggestion and state it to him. He has a good eyes for cars which might help. Let's see how it goes.

3 Likes

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Nobody: 8:32am On May 20, 2012
Too many folks post without bothering to read the thread. It seems madam minute just read the title and gbam... started posting out of thin air.

minute: You two should seriously consider getting another part-time jobs to help you out of the hole. It is better to have a bad no fun year

than a bad no fun decade. Here is a plan for you.

Much of the OPs posts have been about looking for alternate sources of income through a second job. Infact she has considered barbing salons, menial furniture jobs for her husband and catering.

minute:
1.Make a budget. Make the budget a week before you get paid. A budget is not a punishment. It is a tool which will free you from ever
having to worry about money again. Put everything thing in your budget. Especially those annual, biannual or quarterly bills like car
registration,insurance ,etc. Give every pound you are going to bring home the name of where it's going.Add an "emergency fund" category
to your budget for 40pounds and save up until you have 1250- 1500pounds. Your emergency fund will help keep from getting into new debt
because of an emergency. If you can, set up a direct transfer to a savings acct for your emergency fund. That way it moves automatically
and you don't have to worry about it. You must cut your spending and live on less than you make.

The OPs problem isnt the lack of a budget (according to her, they plan their money very meticulously)... but the lack of disposable income for savings.

minute:
2.If you are in this much "financial struggles" then why are you both spending 25% of your total income on transportation every month? And
you should stop using credit cards. They are like quicksand only the death is much slower. Be VERY careful what you spend money on,anything
that is absolutely NOT NEEDED don't buy.

1. perhaps they spend 25% of their income on transportation because they have no other choice? The OP doesnt sound to me like someone who would be that frivolous as to waste 500 pounds a month on luxury means of transport.

2. The "stop using credit cards" stuff is just nonsense. The OP indicated both she and her husband only carry minimal balances on their CCs so this is not the issue. Without a CC how do you build credit?

3. She is already VERY CAREFUL on what she spends money on... she's made that quite clear.

minute:
3.Pay off your credit card debts and use cash only.

Makes no sense in the light of the issue at hand.

minute:
4. After you pay off your debts,add to your emergency fund until you have 6-12months of income saved up. Put that emergency fund into a liquid
money market fund or into a HSBC bank no-risk CD so that if you need the money you can take it out without penalty.

Again senseless. The OP says they have little to no debt. Their problem isnt debt but the lack of disposable income. They have so little that by the time they are done paying for their bills, there is nothing left to put into an emergency fund so how do they actualize your grandiose plan?

minute:
5a. When you have your emergency fund in place, add a category for "fun" to your budget. Save for a holiday,a vacation,a big screen,an i-pad or
dinners out, whatever goal you want. Remember to enjoy life.

na wa o. You should read the thread right from the first page, its not that long.

minute:
5b.When you have your emergency fund in place, start saving for retirement. Join the 401(k) or 403(b)plan at work and contribute the maximum.
Your employer probably matches at least part of the contribution so why give up free money. Open a Roth IRA and contribute the maximum on a
monthly basis. If you start saving for your retirement now, you will probably retire a millionaire.

The UK doesnt have a 401(k) plan like we do. The above is of no use to her as she lives in the UK.

minute:
5c.When you have your emergency fund in place, start saving up for a car. Only buy cars or other things that depreciate, with cash. Save up for
a nicer car. That way you get the interest instead of paying the interest.

She makes 2100 pounds a month, where does she start saving to buy a car in cash?

1 Like

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Nobody: 8:41am On May 20, 2012
1. I'm sorry to be the bad guy here in a sea of "positive talk", but i believe the OPs husband is quite unimaginative and lackadaisical about the issue. Your wife should not be the one harrying around to make extra money to keep the family afloat.

2. What was his financial plan BEFORE marriage? Did you both not sit down and discuss what your goals where before committing to each other and having kids? How did you plan on raising 2 kids in the UK on 2100 pounds a month?

3. What is the point of coming to live in the UK if you have no intention of getting an advanced degree knowing your naija pali is basically of no use? This is the problem with many who simply think the grass is greener as long as you live in the land of the whites. Why has your husband not done anything about his "low skill" level SINCE? Lets be honest here, you are better off moving back to nigeria than staying here and claiming "abroad" when you are basically living from hand to mouth.

4. Word of advice to single ladies out there - never marry a man with no clear financial plan for the future of his family. i'm sorry but kindness, love and helping with the kids wont adequately provide for your family. The situation the OP finds herself is the slippery slope to an unhappy marriage.

1 Like

Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by PrettyCindy(f): 11:08am On May 20, 2012
Quite an interesting and educative thread. Chaircover i respect you, infact i want you to be your friend and can you extent the cake/baking books offer to me? I bake but i want to expand for business purpose. I will pay the post cost. If its open, pls reply me here so i will email you. @op they have all given useful tips, take your time and go through all the various ideas given here and the once in the other link at Travel section.

I pray things get better for you and you family. If all else fails and your financial situation doesn't get better, you can always return home. With the work experience of you and your hubby, am sure you will be able to get pretty decent jobs here that the pay would afford you to live very very comfortably, save, invest and within 3years you can build your own house. Then you guys can travel to the UK during holidays. People are making it here in Nigeria. I was planning to relocate to the UK before, Middlesex University even offered me admission but i changed my mind at the last minute reason being that my elder sister told me the hard truth about life in the UK. Even with MSE degree, chances of getting a decent job there are very very slim. Said I may have to take up menial jobs for survival after schooling. She has an MSE in Gas engineering from University of Salford (that was in 2010) and till date she hasn't gotten a professional job in UK. At times we have to face reality.
@davidlan you were quite harsh but you did make a point. I hope the operator won't pick any offence.
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Ruthabokoku: 11:26am On May 20, 2012
@ David,

You are not the 'bad guy' at all and I can't take offence because you have said nothing but the truth. Infact this is a critical view of the whole situation which I like. Every single thing you have said I have thought of before and I know where my mistakes lie but I have no REGRETS because if my husband's financial situation improves today and with his character (if it does not change), I would be the happiest woman alive.

It's a long story and we moved to UK for reasons I don't want to go into, all in all we don't regret it and we have learnt a lot from living in another man's land.

Our ultimate goal is to relocate back home, but we obviously need money to set some things going.

I won't dwell on the past and cry over spilled milk but think about how I can join forces with him to make our lives better. We have two children together and I love him so the best thing to do is to forge ahead.

I agree I have to push him a bit harder which I am trying to do though I must be honest and state that he has a bit of pride and would not want to be seen doing some things. He prefers to go and push crates in a warehouse where no one would see him according to him.

@prettycindy,
Thanks
Good thing you listened to your sis but you should still have pursued the masters and return back home after, if you can afford it. UK is not a lose-lose situation and you learn a few things in the one year you are here to learn. I also pray things open up for your sister.
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Ruthabokoku: 11:26am On May 20, 2012
Double post again
I need to learn fast..lol
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Nobody: 2:00pm On May 20, 2012
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by PrettyCindy(f): 2:15pm On May 20, 2012
Presently am in Delta state. You?
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Johndoe100(m): 2:40pm On May 20, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Uncle mi . . .as far as I can see, it is still nice. At least twas until you came along and opened the door for my hubby Johndoe to think there is more to my mild wifely rebuke.

Sometimes uncle, the best way to to keep peace is not to flame the little embers that will no doubt die down if left alone. . .coz knowing Johndoe, he woulda probably ignored my post and moved on to something else. . . cheesy cheesy

Don't you think it is bad form for a "wife" to rebuke her "hubby"?
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Johndoe100(m): 2:45pm On May 20, 2012
@OP
how do we get in touch? I really am not into giving info on these boards. Look you can send me your email address here:
johndoe20029 <at>yahoo dot com. Replace the words with the usual symbols.
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by SisiKill1: 2:53pm On May 20, 2012
Johndoe100:

Don't you think it is bad form for a "wife" to rebuke her "hubby"?
It is not oh. . .a good wife who wants her hubby to always present his best face in public will do well to correct him when he's erred. cheesy
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by Nobody: 3:50pm On May 20, 2012
poster look into seeing if you are eligible for tax credits.

madam CC - I have a bone to pick with u o!! angry cry
Re: Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. by debosky(m): 5:20pm On May 20, 2012
Pride is a good thing if harnessed properly. . . . .it is a man's pride to provide for his family, to give them a comfortable standard of living.

OP you need to apples to this aspect of your husband's pride. With two kids (hopefully none more planned as yet) the financial demands are only going to get steeper. As others have said, the older one gets the more difficult it becomes to adapt or change, hence your hubby needs to bite the bullet now one way or the other. There is absolutely no shame in being seen by others working (even in 'menial' jobs) to provide for your family and that is where the focus should be.

Having a B.Sc is not really the point, he needs to find a way of getting better pay above minimum wage, even if it means spending more time away from home, such as the minicab idea suggested.

It's no good just realising you need more income, the key is getting up to do something about it. You sound like you're managing the current income well enough, so keep doing that and prevail, lovingly, on your husband by appealing more to his pride in providing for his family.

I wish you all the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Just Bought This Refrigerator....please I Need Your Candid Advise / In The Light Of D Economic Situation If U Marry Now How Many Children Wil U Have / My 17-year-old Daughter Is Pregnant For Me, What Should I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.