Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Genevieve Nnaji's Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Genevieve Nnaji's Website (1271 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Genevieve Nnaji's Website by yawatide(f): 12:14pm On May 20, 2012
www.genevieveofficial.com - I write this post in an attempt to bring back the good old days of rubbing minds and debating ideas.

I just stumbled on the above and decided to check the location of the company that did it. I found out that the company that did it is http://www.sodesigns.co.uk/ . I was shocked as I expected it to be done by a Nigerian company. I then decided to give her benefit of doubt (on grounds that many Nigerians own companies based in foreign countries but with branches in Nigeria) and went to the company's "about" page. It mentions the name Simon Blake. Granted, many Nigerians change their names to English names upon leaving Nigeria I figured Simon Blake wouldn't be one of them.

Now, assuming Simon Blake isn't Nigerian, the question is why wouldn't Genevieve commission a Nigerian do work on her site? Isn't this saying something about how we are regarded by our very own people? I mean, even Sodom and Gomorrah had 1 good family living within its walls. Isn't there at least 1 good web designer/developer in the whole of Nigeria?

Let's hash it out. . .

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Website by soloqy: 12:50pm On May 20, 2012
@Yawa, I incidentally was browsing that website yesterday. In fact, its still open in my browser. Site done in wordpress.

But to the issue, I am almost certain that this is not Genevieve's first website.

I am almost certain that she tried some Nigerian web designers earlier and probably had problems. Domain name expiring without the web designer in charge renewing, etc. Some of them would trust the web designer to take control of all aspects of the website including domain renewals and expect to be notified later for payments hence, they may not fully be aware of how the domain renewals and hosting work.

The fact is that the loudest and most visible 'web designers', are not always the best and most competent so they are usually the first port of call for clients, till they are seriously disappointed(You saw that issue with one Siony on Nairaland and the client Varies).

I wouldnt want to blame people like Genevieve, and like I said, I would be very surprised if this current website, is her very first website.

By the time she does one or two things with some Webmasters in Nigeria without getting what she wants, she would feel that the best thing is to look abroad.

Thats why its important the image the webmasters on nairaland portray because of the reach this place has. There ought to be some level of professionalism displayed in posts. We have discussed this issues before, abi?...

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Website by doncigalo: 8:52am On May 21, 2012
@Yawatide D problem is there r alot of HACKS in Nigeria today, dese hacks believe that once they learn how to create a HTML page through w3 schools therefore they are automically web designers. The know nothing about a process driven methodology or even how to write a decent web proposal.

Then again in a funny way, these hacks kinda makes it easy for professionals like us who follow the mantra that be d best at wot u do n success will look for you. My most recent jobs were actually initiated by the client who had their websites done for dem in the past at ridiculously high prices and very poor service delivery.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Website by DualCore1: 11:29am On May 21, 2012
...and the site still had to suck at its user experience, usability and bandwidth usage.

Weldone, Sis.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Website by yawatide(f): 11:54am On May 21, 2012
@soloqy
Nope, this isn't her first site. Her first site, done by a Nigerian (and looking much better than the current one, despite the fact that there was nothing like ajax, jquery etc back then) was launched in 2003 or so.

@doncigalo
1) Sure, we have a lot of hacks but you can't generalize based on that. Maybe we should back up a step further and ask if she gave the job to the first one she saw or gave it to the person based on "man know man" syndrome of naija, as opposed to being based on competence. Did she ask for a portfolio? Did she interview the person? etc etc. I think in general, we are abusing the "hack" issue. We have good peeps in the web game in naija. How about those guys wey do oando and aero website, for instance?

2) In particular, I remember watching Genevieve's interview on CNNi(nternational), last year I think. The way she promoted naija, you would think she would be "naija till I die" and not selectively. Even when pressed, she refused to say anything negative about Nigeria (for which she is to be commended)
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Website by soloqy: 11:58am On May 21, 2012
yawa-ti-de:
@soloqy
Nope, this isn't her first site. Her first site, done by a Nigerian (and looking much better than the current one, despite the fact that there was nothing like ajax, jquery etc back then) was launched in 2003 or so.

Maybe domain expired on their watch and someone registered it and placed a hefty price tag on it just like it happened to Omotola ?
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Website by moderattor: 12:10pm On May 21, 2012
who is Genevieve Nnaji?
We don't give any poo if she gave her site to hobits to design smiley
who even visits the site?
For an actor, wordpress is more than enough.
If she doesn't send Nigerian webmasters people plenty dey send us ooh!
Even if am in UK am still a Nigerian webmaster. We rock, no time.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Website by Peterson1993(m): 10:54pm On May 22, 2012
moderattor: who is Genevieve Nnaji?
We don't give any poo if she gave her site to hobits to design smiley
who even visits the site?
I tire oo. Just because of her celebrity status does'nt she will get the whole traffic. She just created the site for fun and photo display and nothin more. Who the shit hell cares about genevive website. If a website does'nt give it members the major reason y they should visit the site, no one will visit

(1) (Reply)

Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network / My Blog Danaty.org Has Been Hacked. That I have been killing Muslims in Nigeria / Do You Know You Can Use An Image To Describe Your Search On Google

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.