Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,336 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol (6401 Views)

Lami Phillips: My Husband Is Still Toasting Me After 18 Years / Adanna Duru: The 18 year old Nigerian American Star on American idol 2015 / Ini Edo & Phillip Ehiagwina Traditional Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by Nobody: 3:39am On May 24, 2012
Well, after four months and a record-setting 132 million votes, it's official: Phillip Phillips is the 11th American Idol. It's hardly the most surprising finale result in "Idol" history--since many pundits (myself included) had him pegged as the winner the moment he entered the audition room--but it's not one without controversy.

After four male champions in a row, many "Idol" fans were no doubt hoping that runner-up Jessica Sanchez, arguably the technically best vocalist of Season 11, would be the girl to break the female curse on "Idol." And I suspect that "Idol's" powers-that-be were rooting for Jessica as well. Surely it would have been a fantastic PR development for the "Idol" franchise (which over the years has, wrongly or not, been accused of being a closed door to contestants of color or of the fairer sex, or basically any contestant that doesn't sing rock or country music) to blast out a press release declaring, "FIRST GIRL WINS IN FIVE YEARS!"--rather than have to send out yet another anticlimactic announcement that yet another cute young boy has prevailed.

And it's true that--considering how some of "Idol's" biggest success stories (Kelly, Carrie, Fantasia, Jordin) have been the female winners, and that in the real world, female pop singers dominate the charts--it might've been better for "the franchise" if Jessica had won. But "Idol" fans don't care about "the franchise"; they simply vote for whom they like, and they vote with their hearts as well as with their ears. And understandably, their hearts told them to vote for one of the most likable people to ever appear on "Idol," good ol' P-Squared, especially after he closed Tuesday's performance show with "Home," possibly the best coronation song ins "Idol" history. Outraged conspiracy theorists will surely cry racism or sexism, or some "ism," when lamenting Jessica's defeat, but maybe the reason why Phillip won was just more simple, and more innocent, than all that.

Or, maybe, viewers just liked Phillip's music more. I don't think Phillip coasted to the winner's circle on boyish charm alone; the guy is undeniably talented, and I believe he has it in him to make a great record. I just hope it is a great-selling record too, since, let's face it, the show's credibility IS on the line. Season 10 champion Scotty McCreery's platinum success helped restore the "Idol" franchise after a couple of years of slumping sales, and now it is up to Phillip to maintain that momentum. It's a precarious place for him to be in, since rock music is hardly the top-selling genre right now--and it's very easy to imagine Jessica (who, like every other runner-up since Season 1, will surely get her own record deal) outperforming him on the charts. But stubborn Phillip, the kind of uncompromising maverick who responds to Tommy Hilfiger's style advice to not wear gray by putting on two gray shirts, is hardly going to let anyone, not even Jimmy Iovine, steamroll him into making some prefab pop album. And that's not what his fans want from him, anyway. Some of Phillip's fans might even argue that he would have been better off placing second, which presumably would have allowed him a little more creative freedom in the studio. (Coming in second would have also probably allowed him more time off to deal with his serious medical issues.)

However, I think there is a place for both Phillip and Jessica on the charts, as long as they both record strong material that plays to their very different strengths and very different fanbases. If Phillip makes music in the future like the wonderfully Mumford-y "Home," he could do very well (Mumford & Sons have sold 2.5 million albums in the U.S. alone, and plenty more overseas), while Jessica has a really great shot too, as long as she doesn't record dreary material like the boring original song she was sadly stuck with this week, "Change Nothing." (Give this girl some snazzier material, Jimmy!)
Iovine does right by these two, then we may end up with two "winners," so to speak, of Season 11. And that would be the best thing for "the franchise" of all. Parker out.

"I followed this season of A.I because of my neighbor's daughter and friend on it. Honestly this result was a hella shocker to me. Don't get me wrong Phillip was really good and very unique but. . . . . And again they get the top two performers ever in Jessica and Joshua, obviously the voters are teen girls...that's the only reason he won!

I guess Jessica has more fans and voters from Asia, since international vote was ineligible so she stumbled. . White power grin"

Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by selena(f): 6:44am On May 24, 2012
i am so glad he won...
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by Nobody: 8:28am On May 24, 2012
I gave up when Joshua left

2 Likes

Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by Nobody: 10:06am On May 24, 2012
same here. Jessica was my next pick
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by Nobody: 10:11am On May 24, 2012
I think the factor, racism played a major role. I told my wife who was a keen fan of
Jessica and Joshua that when the chips are down, they will give it to a white. So am not surprise
Philips won.

3 Likes

Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by omodapson(m): 10:17am On May 24, 2012
What he got was sympathy vote, Joshua is miles better.

1 Like

Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by Joey82(m): 10:25am On May 24, 2012
jennykadry: I gave up when Joshua left
same here! may be i had more sympathy for him because he is black.
the truth remains that Joshua was the most talented of them all, earning more standing ovations from the judges than any contestant in idols history.
then again, the votes are definitely more stronger than the judges.
Congratulations to philips though, at least i know for sure he is a better singer than jessica
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by ijcurt(f): 10:26am On May 24, 2012
so sad! joshua was my idol! America broke ma hrt wen he ws evicted! btw, who da hell is philip philips compared to jessica sanchez n joshua ledet! gawd im so pissssed!
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by animari(f): 10:33am On May 24, 2012
I gave up when Joshua left- can't wait for his first cd- he is by far the most talented -
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by OCHULORC(m): 10:48am On May 24, 2012
i also gave up when joshua left. he is a soul singer.
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by safarigirl(f): 10:48am On May 24, 2012
Do I think Phillip is 'the' Idol? No. Do I think Joshua was the deserving winner? Yes. Is Phillip a good singer? Yes. Is he a good performer? No. Do I think Phillip won cos he's white? YES. Do I find Jessica a better singer? Yes. Do I think this Idols a scam like the recent ones from J. Hud's time? Yes. And this is why I failed to follow the last two seasons. Almost thought this would be different.
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by moderattor: 11:02am On May 24, 2012
there's politics in everything
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by Nobody: 11:23am On May 24, 2012
I have no beef for Phillip sha, he's really talented. His performance for the song 'Home(Mumford & Sons)' was awesome. His best performance through out the show I might add.
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by Nobody: 11:49am On May 24, 2012
I knew he was gonna win when America Chose him over Joshua. it's no longer a singing talent show.God knows i'm not watching that beauty contest anymore.
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by mykali(m): 11:57am On May 24, 2012
JOSHUA LEDET SHOULD BE THE WINNER OF THIS SHIIT.
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by safarigirl(f): 12:11pm On May 24, 2012
tgirl1986: I knew he was gonna win when America Chose him over Joshua. it's no longer a singing talent show.God knows i'm not watching that beauty contest anymore.
it's not even a beauty contest. They should just rename it 'Caucasian American Idol', replace Randy with Jimmy and stop auditioning blacks/hispanics/asians. Then everyone will know where they belong

1 Like

Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by doctokwus: 12:32pm On May 24, 2012
jennykadry: I gave up when Joshua left
Showed a tinge of racism& jealousy perhaps.Joshua Ladett was arguably d most gifted& talented singers of all idol seasons,he was voted out simply because more whites vote& bein d only black left,d racists had to score a point.But mark my words dat guy is gona do far beta dan dis phillipsx2& I will b kping a close watch on all top 5 in d nxt mths ahead.Joshua is my american idol winner,short& simple!
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by euphoria: 12:33pm On May 24, 2012
@Poster and Moderator. It is wrong for you to post this info on nairaland and front page. We all know this eipsode has not been aired in Nigeria and now you have spoilt the fun and suspense for those that chose not to follow it online. Let's be sensitive to other nairaland users. Thanks.
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by canuck(m): 12:54pm On May 24, 2012
Kai! I miss Simon oooooh! Simon would have kicked out Phillip loooooong before viewers started voting. . .The guy is always closing his eyes when singing, as if he is about to come! LOL!

He is an OK singer.

I bet he will end up being another ho-hum, soon-to-be-forgotten idol whose runners-up will outshine in the real world: Joshua and Jessica are light years ahead of Phillips.
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by CHARLOE(m): 12:55pm On May 24, 2012
euphoria: Quote Post

@Poster and Moderator. It is wrong for you to post this info on nairaland and front page. We all know this eipsode has not been aired in Nigeria and now you have spoilt the fun and suspense for those that chose not to follow it online. Let's be sensitive to other nairaland users. Thanks.

@ euphora, It was on dstv, abi dstv no dey ur area.
Josh is my winner anytime, anyday! That boy is a good singer & performer, always getting standing ovation frm d judges and me. Jlo was in tears, offering to hug him instead of accepting his handshake. was more than shocked he didn't win, but i kno he's going to be a bigger star than jessica & philip combined!
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by dasparrow: 1:03pm On May 24, 2012
safarigirl: it's not even a beauty contest. They should just rename it 'Caucasian American Idol', replace Randy with Jimmy and stop auditioning blacks/hispanics/asians. Then everyone will know where they belong

I stopped watching american idol long ago. The last time I watched american idol was the season that had Fantasia Barrino as the winner. That was the same season that also had Jennifer Hudson whom I voted for rigorously back then. However, I never watched the show again after that season because it dawned on me that the audience do not vote for these contestants based on their talent but rather based on race. So, I said goodbye to watching american idol and I have absolutely no regrets.
Re: Phillip Phillips Is The New American Idol by nikebaby(f): 2:20pm On May 24, 2012
Interesting. I quit watching after Joshua was voted off. Congrats to Philip Philips. It pays to be handsome at times at least by teen girls'definition.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Actor Bolanle Ninalowo Shares Cute Photos Of His 13-year-old Daughter / Lady Gaga's Meat Dress, Ghetto Style / Cyclist Removed From World Unclad Bike Ride After Getting An êrection (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.