Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,369 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships (10301 Views)

Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour / Checkout This Homework Given To A 5-Year-Old Pupil (Photo) / 100 Top Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by dadamuyiwa: 6:33pm On May 25, 2012
tjmc:

so for your mind, yoruba people sabi book pa for naija. soorrry ohh. its only the yorubas from ondo dat are dat brilliant from my experience.
for me the igbos come first, then the yorubas before odas, den the abokis shud be d last on the list grin

It seems that this feeling of paranoia is a common syndrom of every Igbo people. They always see the Yorubas as a threath to them, when it comes to everything that requires intellectual prowess. It's a known fact that the Yorubas are still ahead of the Igbos, the same way the Whites are ahead of Blacks. I hardly come across a situation where an Igbo student is ahead of all the Yorubas in the class. Bye 4now.
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by owobokiri(m): 7:04pm On May 25, 2012
You choose the best brains and then send all overseas? How many will dare come back? Is this not the worst type of brain drain? Why not make it a point of duty to upgrade Nigerias universities so ths guys can train at home? You can send some intelligent kids overseas but 70% is absurd. Colo-mentality if u ask me

2 Likes

Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 25, 2012
ekt_bear: I'll see if I can dig it up.

Yet another committee! When will dis commander-in-thief get tired of these fraudulent committees of his? *smh
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by sexyverah(f): 8:01pm On May 25, 2012
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by Dejohnbull: 9:00pm On May 25, 2012
I love dis nation, 160 million ppl gvmt promo 100... Imaging Mini gvmt promo should be 1000, maxi 10000.
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 25, 2012
owobokiri: You choose the best brains and then send all overseas? How many will dare come back? Is this not the worst type of brain drain? Why not make it a point of duty to upgrade Nigerias universities so ths guys can train at home? You can send some intelligent kids overseas but 70% is absurd. Colo-mentality if u ask me

Thanks for your very sensible post. Ignore the other bringing tribalism into this. The point is that when are we going to improve the quality of our universities so that our best brains do not go overseas and develop a foreign economy. While having foreign exposure is great, most of these young people would not come back home unless their chances of having a good life are better. Good move, but it still does not solve our problems

2 Likes

Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by SamIkenna: 11:49pm On May 25, 2012
bayooooooo:

70 percent is an exaggeration.It's a national, not South West, list!!!!! 20-32% is more realistic. But I have no doubt that the South will dominate the list and even within south, yes, the West will dominate it. The job of the committee (it seems GEJ like committee a lot) is made easier already in some schools like UI where there is Dean's Roll of Honour in each faculty. All that's needed is to compile such lists and submit them for national competition. There is no point sending names, just send the matric number with the CGPA.

This is one policy I have absolutely nothing against and can only wish it could have been much earlier. It should also be put on record that OBJ canceled the only FG scholarship in 2004. FG used to pay 40k-60k based on performance in the test then to some good students with good heads on their shoulders only for OBJ, in his usual manner, to cancel it without any cogent reason.

If the programmee is implemented faithfully, as in without any form of quota system, it won't take five years that opposition will mount against it as the list will primarily be that of South Nigeria. Thereafter, a modification will surface with some propositions for the best of the worst to be considered and the whole scheme then get bastardized. Time will tell.

ekt_bear:

70% is too high. But if pure merit, a disproportionate # of these brainy students will be Yoruba.

Lol! The list is not yet out bro.
Why dont we wait and see.
I wont be shocked if the North is where we get the majority of our first class peeps.
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by joshuapharm(m): 12:00am On May 26, 2012
i just knew that beaf was working for GEJ..i confirmed it when i saw dis thread he created...go to his profile and check his posts..its all politics and gej..anyways..get well soon...smh!!!
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by Yzzey(m): 3:56am On May 26, 2012
Bunch of immature politicians and kids as dictators! I don't oppose or criticize the ''scholarship [idea]''- it's a good one - but i deeply criticize the fact that they know our 'educational system' is faulty, that is why studying abroad is our little-faith, yet, they do nothing to upgrade the face of our system, and to inculcate true education to the masses. A nation with honor and comprehend not, is the empire that perish. I weep 4 Nigeria; i weep 4 Africa; i weep 4 us.
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by ehizelee: 5:25am On May 26, 2012
GEJ shud give us light and stop behaving like a confused man. Wat wud scholarship do 4 d state of d nation
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by osifred(m): 7:13am On May 26, 2012
I think it could have been better if this scheme was for corper members who are more ready to face the world than university students. Nevertheless thumbs up to Mr president. Hope this scheme will not be hijack by hoodlum and rogues as they are called.

But one problem stil remain. How do you selected the best 100 brains in Nigeria as am sure on the average a second class upper student with strong CGPA in a federal university is more academically inclined than a first class student in a priave university.
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by ProAnti: 11:54am On May 26, 2012
@ekt_bear,

The 2006 population census puts the population of the South-West at 27.58 million with that of the South-south as 21.01 million.

Therefore @Beaf's approximation of 20 million for the south-south is not incorrect.
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by obiena: 12:54pm On May 26, 2012
Another Office 2 loot billions of naira and d aim will nt be achieved cos of nigeria factor
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by ektbear: 9:31pm On May 26, 2012
Pro Anti: @ekt_bear,

The 2006 population census puts the population of the South-West at 27.58 million with that of the South-south as 21.01 million.

Therefore @Beaf's approximation of 20 million for the south-south is not incorrect.

21.01 million 2006. 6 years later at likely 2.5% population growth...is ~24 million now. That seems a very poor approximation to me.

Anyway, my larger initial point of the SW's indigenous population not being overwhelmingly more than that of the SS seems correct, using your #s. Yes?
Re: GEJ - 100 Top Student Brains To Be Given Scholarships by daviduz: 7:54am On Nov 08, 2014
I am David by name, all my waec results for 2014 was withheld and it was Mr Andrew that helped me to release the result, and he have ask me to inform or bring another twenty persons who their results were withheld so if you are interested you can call his number 08152240666

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Merit List Of Engineering Student Of Unilag / Junior WAEC [BECE] 2017/18 Examination Time-table Out- 24th April-9th May, 2017 / Lautech Post Jamb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.