Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,254 members, 7,953,948 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:37 AM

NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors (8557 Views)

Federal High Court Judge Overrules Supreme Court over Sacked Anambra Lawmakers. / NUPENG Threatens Strike If Petroleum Industrial Bill Isn't Passed Into Law / Nupeng Threatens To Shut Oil Production Amid Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by naptu2: 8:15pm On May 25, 2012
NUPENG threatens strike over sacked Lagos doctors

May 25, 2012 by Agency Reporter ⁠11 Comments

The National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers on Friday threatened to embark on a solidarity strike with the 788 doctors sacked recently by the Lagos State Government.
The threat was issued at a press conference in Lagos by NUPENG President, Igwe Achese.

Also on Friday, the Kaduna State chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association called on President Goodluck Jonathan to prevail on Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, to reinstate the sacked doctors and withdraw the queries issued them by the state health board.

More details later.

http://www.punchng.com/news/nupeng-threatens-strike-over-sacked-lagos-doctors/
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by jmaine: 8:27pm On May 25, 2012
Wetin consign NUPENG with doctors sack . . .what sense is in this angry
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Rhino5dm: 12:32am On May 26, 2012
The cowards that couldn't shutdown oil wells during occupy nigeria. We need likes of Asari Dokubo in south west. Fools

2 Likes

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Beaf: 12:42am On May 26, 2012
jmaine: Wetin consign NUPENG with doctors sack . . .what sense is in this angry

Fashola will "oil" them not to join. cheesy
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by jmaine: 1:13am On May 26, 2012
Beaf:

No be small "Oiling" my bro . . . cheesy

1 Like

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Rhino5dm: 1:51am On May 26, 2012
Just the way Jonathan used bombs to scare away IBB from contesting? Fool.

Beaf:

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by ektbear: 1:59am On May 26, 2012

I wonder ooo.

Next we will hear of a medical union in Ghana doing solidarity strike too.

Nigerian unions appear to be pretty evil and demented.
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by naptu2: 7:00am On May 26, 2012
NUPENG threatens strike over sacked Lagos doctors

The Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) on Friday threatened to embark on solidarity strike if the state government fails to recall the sacked doctors.

Addressing journalists at a press conference in Lagos, the National President of NUPENG, Igwe Achese said the Lagos state government must allow reason to prevail by negotiating with the doctors on their demands with a view to arriving at a compromise.

“We call on both parties to go back to the negotiating table with maturity to resolve the conflicts,” he said.

“However, NUPENG will join forces with other well-meaning Nigerians to call the Lagos state government to order to recall the sacked doctors. If the issue persists unresolved by Monday next week, NUPENG may be forced to embark on a solidarity strike action until the sacked doctors are recalled to save the lives of Nigerians in Lagos,” Mr Achese said.

He pointed out that the inexperienced doctors that were employed by the government are not adequate and properly equipped to treat the patients.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/05/25/nupeng-threatens-strike-over-sacked-lagos-doctors/

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by texazzpete(m): 8:37am On May 26, 2012

Obviously they want to help Fashola do his job. Remember Fashola swore an oath to preserve the lives and property of Lagosians, an oath he now cares nothing for as he sits happily by while ordinary Lagosians suffer.

I think any sane Nigerian can easily see that the doctors demands are not extravagant and can easily be met by the Lagos state government. When a governor puts his ego above the welfare of his people, you can understand why people need to act quickly to restore sanity.

5 Likes

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Teephad(m): 8:54am On May 26, 2012
?? Solidarity what ...
I don't know what the oil union i
s up to..what concerns them in the matter..misplaced priority ??.Where were the so called union when we need them during fuel subsidy issue.bunch of cowards...
They should hold themselves and leave Nigeria Medical Association to press on with the fight..Orisirisi for Naija soon National Meat Seller Association will follow suit.

1 Like

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by chuks49(m): 9:33am On May 26, 2012
I hate unions
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by texazzpete(m): 9:53am On May 26, 2012
chuks49: I hate unions

GEJ, is that you?

I don't see how any sane human being could hate unions. Unions helped negotiate the 18k minimum wage for millions of Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Jabioro: 10:10am On May 26, 2012
Oil worker as a tools 2 demand or press any issue wt govt.dis pple no get work!
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by omoabike: 10:11am On May 26, 2012
texazzpete:

Obviously they want to help Fashola do his job. Remember Fashola swore an oath to preserve the lives and property of Lagosians, an oath he now cares nothing for as he sits happily by while ordinary Lagosians suffer.

I think any sane Nigerian can easily see that the doctors demands are not extravagant and can easily be met by the Lagos state government. When a governor puts his ego above the welfare of his people, you can understand why people need to act quickly to restore sanity.

I stopped supporting the doctors when I heard on STV News that one of their requests to call off the strike is that they should not be made to pay income tax on the money that they were asking to be paid.
That to me is delusional to say the least.

1 Like

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by ACM10: 10:14am On May 26, 2012
Fashola did not consider his newly employed doctorz competent enough to manage his father's condition. To the ecxtent that he secretly sent him abroad to obtain medical care. While some folkz are here defendin his action. But the NUPENG workerz were able to see thru his ploy. Who will like to be used for on-the-job learnin?

1 Like

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by SpiritofOkija(m): 10:16am On May 26, 2012
We are fast approaching the end of unionism in Nigeria..
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Nobody: 10:17am On May 26, 2012
this solidarity strike sef! very soon NURTW,ASUU,NUT,NARTO,NULGE etc will also embark on solidarity strike. na wah! undecidedthis solidarity strike sef! very soon NURTW,ASUU,NUT,NARTO,NULGE etc will also embark on solidarity strike. na wah!
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by ACM10: 10:21am On May 26, 2012
omoabike:

I stopped supporting the doctors when I heard on STV News that one of their requests to call off the strike is that they should not be made to pay income tax on the money that they were asking to be paid.

This iz totally inaccurate. You must have heard from Fashola's propagandist. They are requestin for the exclusion of income tax from the salary that they agreed to compromise.

1 Like

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by deeteeneey(f): 10:21am On May 26, 2012
soli-what? this is crap.
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by anonimi: 10:23am On May 26, 2012
omoabike:

Are you sure about this?
What is the source?

I hope the BRF administration is not TRYING to spread LIES about the doctors' request to gain puiblic sympathy for itself

1 Like

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by lukkie(m): 10:24am On May 26, 2012
omoabike:

That's not true. They complained that their tax was too high and asked it be negotiated down. How can you work and not pay tax? NUPENG, good move. It's doctors today, could be anyone tomorrow. Fashola is on rampage.

1 Like

Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by kswagz(m): 10:24am On May 26, 2012
Those doctors where stupid dat was y they lost their jobs did u know how many souls where lost as a result of their stupidness now dat they are being purnish cant the stupid nupeng allowe them to face their problem after all sacking them would create a good amount of job opportunities...so tumbs up 2 fashola eko oni baje oooo
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Nobody: 10:25am On May 26, 2012
In Nigeria , we manage to abuse everything.
Tho,it happens in other places too. France for instance.
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Nobody: 10:40am On May 26, 2012
Chai, Nigeria which way?. Lets divide fast. wetin concern Nupeng with Doctors
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Nobody: 10:44am On May 26, 2012
They were bragging before but now they are lobbying and begging for the same job they didnt appreciate.fashola should not take these guys back.very arrogant bastarrrds ! angry
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by love124(m): 10:50am On May 26, 2012
when these foolish doctor went on strike(stayed at home) and allowed people to die, nobody said anytin. now that their employers has told them to stay at home permanently u guys are shouting that fashola has gone rampage. i think LSG is very correct. we must put an end to these everyday strike.
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Nobody: 10:50am On May 26, 2012
gboss4sure: Chai, Nigeria which way?. Lets divide fast. wetin concern Nupeng with Doctors

wetin concern divide with this one. olodo
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by onatisi(m): 10:50am On May 26, 2012
nigeria is becoming more and more interesting every day , crazy things dey happen , nupeng want to strike in support of doctors!
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by donpeluchi(m): 11:11am On May 26, 2012
This is ridiculous
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by phreakabit(m): 11:16am On May 26, 2012
What the hell is their freaking concern in this issue? This would only cause more harm than good. I think its time something is done about the freaking NUPENG.

The National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers

Lagos State Doctors

I don't see the connection here?
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by vanstanzy(m): 11:28am On May 26, 2012
naptu2: NUPENG threatens strike over sacked Lagos doctors

May 25, 2012 by Agency Reporter ⁠11 Comments

The National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers on Friday threatened to embark on a solidarity strike with the 788 doctors sacked recently by the Lagos State Government.
The threat was issued at a press conference in Lagos by NUPENG President, Igwe Achese.

Also on Friday, the Kaduna State chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association called on President Goodluck Jonathan to prevail on Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, to reinstate the sacked doctors and withdraw the queries issued them by the state health board.
More details later.

http://www.punchng.com/news/nupeng-threatens-strike-over-sacked-lagos-doctors/

@naptu2

On and on the gap keeps widening. This is the spiral effect i was talking about. Just hope next, NLC and TUC wont call us out for a nationwide strike. Cos those two (NLC/ TUC) are snitches, dont trust 'em anymore.
NUPENG are a toothless bull dog though, every1 knows that?
Re: NUPENG Threatens Strike Over Sacked Lagos Doctors by Nobody: 11:40am On May 26, 2012
Watching as events unfold. After the doctors get their demand, the other civil service workers would make similar demands, e.g. nurses would make similar demand, then the pharmacist, then the radiographers, then those guys that take blood for analysis in the lab, then the teachers, then the meat sellers, then the lawyers, then the engineers, then the BRT drivers, then nurtw. its gonna be a long continuous cycle. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abba Kyari Orders DSS To Walk Amaechi Out Of Office / Kano Rigging Template Won’t Work In Adamawa Rerun Polls, PDP Warns / Ethnic Crisis Brewing Between Yoruba, Igbos In Akure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.