Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

How Did You Became An Atheist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did You Became An Atheist? (1402 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / How Did You Become An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Became An Atheist? by fubbyy(m): 11:45am On May 27, 2012
When my mother was alive,there was a sunday morning I said am not going to church,she asked why and I told her that am tired of this religious thing with no benefit, my mother wept,she cried saying that the devil has possessed his son,my father nearly killed me for saying such, now am sure that none of you (atheists) were born as An atheist,you all must have come from a religious home but you suddenly developed this belief, what was your parents reaction when you did and what reason(s) did you give them, and what actually made you to disbelief in God and who initiated you taught into atheism..

Thanks
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by logicboy: 12:41pm On May 27, 2012
fubbyy: When my mother was alive,there was a sunday morning I said am not going to church,she asked why and I told her that am tired of this religious thing with no benefit, my mother wept,she cried saying that the devil has possessed his son,my father nearly killed me for saying such, now am sure that none of you (atheists) were born as An atheist,you all must have come from a religious home but you suddenly developed this belief, what was your parents reaction when you did and what reason(s) did you give them, and what actually made you to disbelief in God and who initiated you taught into atheism..

Thanks

Everyone is born an atheist. Many are just taught religion by their folks and friends.

There are people raised as atheist. There was a chinese girl in my primary school in Nigeria that said that her father said that there was no use in prayers. The teachers were afraid of her.

However, I came from a religious background and my folks were not happy. They promised fire and brimbstone when I confessed that I was an atheist. I only had to remind them that they are no different from a religious extremist that hates infidels (cough boko haraam/crusaders).

What made me to become an atheist was slavery. It was well accepted by the bible. Someone insulted me that blacks are cursed and they run to a religion that supported enslavement their forefathers. I did my research and found out that both Islam and christian accepted slavery. However, I must state that blacks are not cursed.

Then other contradictions in religion started to emerge, evolution, sexism in the bible, the fact that Jesus is painted as a white man in many Nigerian churches and the fact that there is not one single physical proof of God
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 27, 2012
fubbyy: When my mother was alive,there was a sunday morning I said am not going to church,she asked why and I told her that am tired of this religious thing with no benefit, my mother wept,she cried saying that the devil has possessed his son,my father nearly killed me for saying such, now am sure that none of you (atheists) were born as An atheist,you all must have come from a religious home but you suddenly developed this belief, what was your parents reaction when you did and what reason(s) did you give them, and what actually made you to disbelief in God and who initiated you taught into atheism..

Thanks
Not atheist but agnostic. Not been able to tell my parents, don't think it would serve any purpose for now.
For me, moving to India and seeing a lot of similarities between Hinduism and Christianity, the way it's exploited, and God's apparent indifference to its exploitation, I gave up on religion, but not the 'GOD' idea.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by ijawkid(m): 6:51pm On May 27, 2012
musKeeto:
Not atheist but agnostic. Not been able to tell my parents, don't think it would serve any purpose for now.
For me, moving to India and seeing a lot of similarities between Hinduism and Christianity, the way it's exploited, and God's apparent indifference to its exploitation, I gave up on religion, but not the 'GOD' idea.

Sorry bro...........

Thank God u still believe there is Creator(God)....

Abeg no join logicboy....

Lol

1 Like

Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by logicboy: 6:53pm On May 27, 2012
ijawkid:

Sorry bro...........

Thank God u still believe there is Creator(God)....

Abeg no join logicboy....

Lol

Kai! See my life......Ijawkid, I don turn devil for your eye?
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by makdastar(f): 7:15pm On May 27, 2012
all Nigerian atheists are atheists either cuz their parents are religious fanatics who never let them experience GOD by themselves, or people who have at one time or the other asked God for something and had their request denied, so they are still whinning about it. :Pall Nigerian atheists are atheists either cuz their parents are religious fanatics who never let them experience GOD by themselves, or people who have at one time or the other asked God for something and had their request denied, so they are still whinning about it.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by ijawkid(m): 7:41pm On May 27, 2012
logicboy:

Kai! See my life......Ijawkid, I don turn devil for your eye?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha............

See ur coconut head.......

Try withdraw back small to agnostism abeg then from there I go come visit you for ya house......

Lol
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 27, 2012
makdastar: All Nigerian atheists are atheists either cuz their parents are religious fanatics who never let them experience GOD by themselves, or people who have at one time or the other asked God for something and had their request denied, so they are still whinning about it.
@bold, funny but true. I know of a case like this.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by logicboy: 8:43pm On May 27, 2012
makdastar: all Nigerian atheists are atheists either cuz their parents are religious fanatics who never let them experience GOD by themselves, or people who have at one time or the other asked God for something and had their request denied, so they are still whinning about it. :Pall Nigerian atheists are atheists either cuz their parents are religious fanatics who never let them experience GOD by themselves, or people who have at one time or the other asked God for something and had their request denied, so they are still whinning about it.

Like a real christian you insult atheists parents like you were there when the atheists were raised or you were there when the atheists became atheist.

Since you want to talk about parents.....were our great grand parents christians? Ode. White man came and enslaved them and forced christianity on them.

Your shallow thinking is an example of why Nigeria refuses to get better. People and politicians failing to overcome their bias and looking at the bigger picture
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by logicboy: 8:44pm On May 27, 2012
fellis:
@bold, funny but true. I know of a case like this.

Yes and one case represents all Nigerian atheists? What about people who were raised as atheists? I have a Nigerian friend that was raised by atheists parents here in uk.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:48pm On May 27, 2012
logicboy: .

What made me to become an atheist was slavery. It was well accepted by the bible. Someone insulted me that blacks are cursed and they run to a religion that supported enslavement their forefathers. I did my research and found out that both Islam and christian accepted slavery.
what part of the Qur'an supports slavery? I would like to know.

logicboy:
Then other contradictions in religion started to emerge, the fact that Jesus is painted as a white man in many Nigerian churches
but that is the fault of colonial masters that wanted to indoctrinate Africans! The bible never said Jesus Christ was an American man with blond hair and blue eyes. Lol.
logicboy: and the fact that there is not one single physical proof of God
the order and arrangement of the universe is proof enough for any discerning person. I don't think you need to see any fantastic manifestation to know that God exists.
But please try to answer the first question I asked.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by Kay17: 9:10pm On May 27, 2012
I owe my disbelief to my natural doubts. Also I wasn't ready to place faith over reason. And I came to understand that all religions are at least a form of ancient philosophy which could be said have outlived their purpose.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by Kay17: 9:14pm On May 27, 2012
makdastar: all Nigerian atheists are atheists either cuz their parents are religious fanatics who never let them experience GOD by themselves, or people who have at one time or the other asked God for something and had their request denied, so they are still whinning about it. :Pall Nigerian atheists are atheists either cuz their parents are religious fanatics who never let them experience GOD by themselves, or people who have at one time or the other asked God for something and had their request denied, so they are still whinning about it.

Yea, fanaticism makes religion unattractive. For those that are disappointed with God, the belief of the being is still present in their minds so can't be an atheist per se.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by 2good(m): 9:17pm On May 27, 2012

Thanks

My drift away from religion started when I didn't see any logic or objectivity in all what I was being taught in church. I asked so many questions and was told its a sin to ask such questions simply because the church authority didn't have answer to my questions. Ultimately, I stopped going to church and my parent threatened to kick me out of the house but I didn't bulge. They tried their to reconvert me to the way of their god but they could not. The funny thing is that I didn't have any atheist mentor around and I was just 16 years. I only knew that all religious teachings were false and exploitative. Eventually, it will take me 3 years after giving up religion, to see people that reason like when I got into Unilag to study Engineering. That was when I knew I wasn't the only one that doesn't believe in all religious gods.
Looking back at Nigeria, it vexes me when I see how religion have made an entire population docile, superstitious and remove their basic ability to reason with their brain because they put all their hope and aspiration on so called men of God who are common men like they are, except they have the gift of playing on the psychology and gullibility of people.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by logicboy: 9:30pm On May 27, 2012
fellis:
what part of the Qur'an supports slavery? I would like to know.

1)If someone murders your slave, then you get to kill one of his. If it was a male that was killed, you kill one of the killer's male slaves. If a female, you kill a female. Murder for murder. Slave for slave. It all works out swell with Allah's wondrous rules. (Oh, and if you don't follow them, you'll have the usual painful doom.) 2:178

2)Doom is about to fall on all disbelievers. Only worshippers (Muslims) and those who preserve their chastity (except with their wives and slave girls) will be spared from "the fires of hell" that are "eagar to roast." 70:1-30

fellis:
but that is the fault of colonial masters that wanted to indoctrinate Africans! The bible never said Jesus Christ was an American man with blond hair and blue eyes. Lol.

Agreed!

fellis:
the order and arrangement of the universe is proof enough for any discerning person. I don't think you need to see any fantastic manifestation to know that God exists.
But please try to answer the first question I asked.

What other of the universe? The dying stars or failed solar systems? The majority of the earth being uninhabitable?
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 27, 2012
logicboy:

1)If someone murders your slave, then you get to kill one of his. If it was a male that was killed, you kill one of the killer's male slaves. If a female, you kill a female. 2:178

2)Doom is about to fall on all disbelievers. Only worshippers (Muslims) and those who preserve their chastity (except with their wives and slave girls) will be spared from "the fires of hell" that are "eagar to roast." 70:1-30
When the religion was in its early stages in the Arab world, people still kept slaves, still practised slavery ardently, so if a directive to immediately put an end to slavery was issued, it would have been met with resistance and disobedience as slavery was a part of their ways of life, and so rules regarding keeping of slaves which would discourage the act were made. Rules such as the obligatory freeing of a slave as a penance for certain sins, directives to assist a slave financially when he wants to buy his freedom, discouraging the purchase of new slaves and so on.
The laws you quoted applied to those who already had slaves. Nowhere did the verses encourage slavery.

logicboy: What other order of the universe? The dying stars or failed solar systems? The majority of the earth being uninhabitable?
Yes.
The world will not last forever, it will come to an end. That is what the Qur'an says, so the dying stars and failing solar system you speak of is actually part of the ordained order of the universe.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by logicboy: 12:17am On May 28, 2012
fellis:
When the religion was in its early stages in the Arab world, people still kept slaves, still practised slavery ardently, so if a directive to immediately put an end to slavery was issued, it would have been met with resistance and disobedience as slavery was a part of their ways of life, and so rules regarding keeping of slaves which would discourage the act were made. Rules such as the obligatory freeing of a slave as a penance for certain sins, directives to assist a slave financially when he wants to buy his freedom, discouraging the purchase of new slaves and so on.
The laws you quoted applied to those who already had slaves. Nowhere did the verses encourage slavery.

Allah fails to save those enslaved out of fear of resistance and disobedience? Why should I worship such a god?

fellis:
Yes.
The world will not last forever, it will come to an end. That is what the Qur'an says, so the dying stars and failing solar system you speak of is actually part of the ordained order of the universe.

Nope. Stars have been exploding since the dawn of time.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by DeepSight(m): 12:22am On May 28, 2012
^^^ I cant see how the fact that stars have been exploding "since the dawn of time" contradicts what FELLIS said.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by logicboy: 12:29am On May 28, 2012
Deep Sight: ^^^ I cant see how the fact that stars have been exploding "since the dawn of time" contradicts what FELLIS said.

It doesnt contradict what Fellis said neither does it support what Fellis said. Two separate issues.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:52am On May 28, 2012
logicboy:

Allah fails to save those enslaved out of fear of resistance and disobedience? Why should I worship such a god?
abeg, abeg, abeg, I am not here to convince you that God exists. Please feel free to not worship Allah. I came cos of the slavery issue.

logicboy:
Nope. Stars have been exploding since the dawn of time.
thank you for that enlightening piece of information. Again, I don't intend to try to convince you that God exists so this point is irrelevant.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by makdstar(f): 6:37am On May 28, 2012
logicboy:

Like a real christian you insult atheists parents like you were there when the atheists were raised or you were there when the atheists became atheist.

Since you want to talk about parents.....were our great grand parents christians? Ode. White man came and enslaved them and forced christianity on them.

Your shallow thinking is an example of why Nigeria refuses to get better. People and politicians failing to overcome their bias and looking at the bigger picture

haha, logic boy, truth be told, you go running to every atheism post like a lost little puppy on a lost cause. And it's funny that you don't make any intelligent case ever.

And i made my comment because i have been observing you and people like you all over nl

All you ever do is continue to attack the same God you are supposed to believe doesn't exist. You know next to nothing about atheism and i suggest you go read up.

It's high time you started enlightening us about your own belief instead of always running around insulting everybody's belief.

Mof, if atheism were a religion, you are a perfect example of a fanatic. You go about raving about things you know nothing about. It's getting old, its time to grow up.

It is obvious you have something against the christian God, cuz why the 'like a real christian' talk? I hadnt even mentioned i was one.

Secondly, who says the opposite of atheism is islam or christianity. Our fore fathers weren't atheists, last time i checked, there was something called African Traditional Religion, our forefathers believed in the existence of a supreme being more than most of us now. So please spare the white man.

And you mention forced christianity? The white man came to Nigeria mainly to explore and to trade, bringing christianity into Nigeria was just the extra icing, their first churches were built in evil forests, their first members were outcasts, no one was forced to go to church or why didnt they go to the North and force the muslims to be christians too?

Or are you referring to people who were sold into slavery. Slavery! How are we so sure that still doesn't exist in a more subtle form now. Afterall, all of a sudden many people from the developed world think atheism should be the trend now, and all of a sudden, some Nigerians i know 'here in the UK' are following suit.

We all know of christian fanatics who would rather maim their child than let him find God for himself, we all know of muslim fanatics, like some terrorist groups, and ofcourse atheist fanatics who like you, are running around nairaland, throwing themselves head first into fights whenever God is mentioned.

It is because of unaccomodating people in the above category that Nigeria is the way it is.

And fyi, you didn't need to call me an ode. The replies can prove who the ode really is. The thread said 'why did you become and atheist'
in simpler words, you were asked 'what convinced you that God does not exist' and your reply in simpler words states 'something God did, convinced me that God doesn't exist'. How lame is that?
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:23am On May 28, 2012
logicboy:

Yes and one case represents all Nigerian atheists? What about people who were raised as atheists? I have a Nigerian friend that was raised by atheists parents here in uk.
omg.
I missed this part before.
Logicboy, I honestly wanted to come back and compliment you on being an intelligent man but then I saw this statement.
I wrote, "funny but true, I know a case like this" abi?
Where did I mention that the one case represented atheists or that atheists with atheists parents don't exist?
Anyway, maybe you live in Nigeria and so you made that post at night when you were sleepy.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by fubbyy(m): 7:24am On May 28, 2012
Nice one @ mak-d-star
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by logicboy: 1:06pm On May 28, 2012
mak-d-star:

And i made my comment because i have been observing you and people like you all over nl

All you ever do is continue to attack the same God you are supposed to believe doesn't exist. You know next to nothing about atheism and i suggest you go read up.

It's high time you started enlightening us about your own belief instead of always running around insulting everybody's belief.

1)Did you observe my parents as well? Ode. Why did you mention atheists' parents and their upbringing?

2) Atheism is not a belief and I have stated why I am an atheist on this thread. You need to read more often.

3) Like a hypocrite, you ignore the christians that call for fire and brimstone on the unbelievers on NL. You forget that christians are theones who go from house to house preaching or in public shouting with loudspeakers. I have every right to debunk religious lies.

mak-d-star:

Mof, if atheism were a religion, you are a perfect example of a fanatic. You go about raving about things you know nothing about. It's getting old, its time to grow up.

It is obvious you have something against the christian God, cuz why the 'like a real christian' talk? I hadnt even mentioned i was one.

You didnt need to say that you're a christian. You put forward some christian talking points that I heard before about atheists. Sorry if you're not a christian.

I am not a fanatic. Do you see me preaching about atheism everyday with a new message like christians or muslims? Do you see me suggesting atheist books like how christians suggest christian books?

mak-d-star:

Secondly, who says the opposite of atheism is islam or christianity. Our fore fathers weren't atheists, last time i checked, there was something called African Traditional Religion, our forefathers believed in the existence of a supreme being more than most of us now. So please spare the white man.

It would be better to follow a religion that is from your home country than one that has been used to subjugate your forefathers

mak-d-star:

And you mention forced christianity? The white man came to Nigeria mainly to explore and to trade, bringing christianity into Nigeria was just the extra icing, their first churches were built in evil forests, their first members were outcasts, no one was forced to go to church or why didnt they go to the North and force the muslims to be christians too?

Or are you referring to people who were sold into slavery. Slavery! How are we so sure that still doesn't exist in a more subtle form now. Afterall, all of a sudden many people from the developed world think atheism should be the trend now, and all of a sudden, some Nigerians i know 'here in the UK' are following suit.

You are a real dummy. The white man came to explore and trade? Spoken like a true slave to the white man. The Europeans came to exploit and dominate. The evidence lies in the colonialism and the transatlantic slave trade.

The first church in Nigeria was not built in an evil forest. Get your facts right. The first church was even supported by a learned Nigerian man who was a former slave- Ajayi Crowther

Atheism is not just a trend, it is the consequence of learning about various religion and a basic understanding of science. There exists no evidence for God.

mak-d-star:

We all know of christian fanatics who would rather maim their child than let him find God for himself, we all know of muslim fanatics, like some terrorist groups, and ofcourse atheist fanatics who like you, are running around nairaland, throwing themselves head first into fights whenever God is mentioned.

It is because of unaccomodating people in the above category that Nigeria is the way it is.

And fyi, you didn't need to call me an ode. The replies can prove who the ode really is. The thread said 'why did you become and atheist'
in simpler words, you were asked 'what convinced you that God does not exist' and your reply in simpler words states 'something God did, convinced me that God doesn't exist'. How lame is that?

You call me a fanatic, but ignore christians and muslim posters who post their religious doctrines almost very morning. Your rank hypocrisy is disgusting. What have I done other than challenge notions of God? Is that your definition of fanaticism? Are you mentally challenged?

My reply is clear. I mentioned slavery as the breaking point and then went on to mention evolution and clearly stated that there is no evidence for God. You are a real ode for remixing and reducing my reply to fit your bias.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by logicboy: 1:09pm On May 28, 2012
fellis:
omg.
I missed this part before.
Logicboy, I honestly wanted to come back and compliment you on being an intelligent man but then I saw this statement.
I wrote, "funny but true, I know a case like this" abi?
Where did I mention that the one case represented atheists or that atheists with atheists parents don't exist?
Anyway, maybe you live in Nigeria and so you made that post at night when you were sleepy.

You should realise that Madstar's comment was talking about all Nigerian atheists and for you to say it is true is clearly wrong. You indirectly accepted that your case applies to all Nigerian atheists. Next time, read comments before you agree with them. grin
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by logicboy: 1:09pm On May 28, 2012
fubbyy: Nice one @ mak-d-star

You should see my reply;
https://www.nairaland.com/948243/how-did-you-became-atheist#10942223
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:31am On Jun 18, 2012
Hahahaha. I can't believe I fell for your sh[i]i[/i]t. . . .grin
Nice stealth moves anyway.
Re: How Did You Became An Atheist? by IamPhantom(f): 3:57pm On Jun 18, 2012
You guys are making this thing personal. It isn't. Crusading for atheism makes it into a form of religion, the very thing i do not want or need. Atheism is not a religion. It has even been erroneously defined as "the belief that there is no god", showing u already the monotheist bias of the writer. This is wrong n we cannot have theist defining atheism for us. It is not a belief. It is a lack of it.

Still, for me, all i ask is that everyone accept the other for who or what they are or are not as the case may be. I do not try to convert the christian to atheism. It won't last. It has to come from deep within, a total inability to grasp the whole concept of "not everything can be explained, go with faith, u will understand in the sweet by and by....." and so on. I watch with horror, but i hold my peace. Trouble starts when the religious person starts to tell me how they are better than me by reason of their being religious and i not. Then i have it out with them. Until then,I am content to live and let live. As should everyone. Especially u the christians. Leave people alone. Do not wave your religion in my face, i wont my lack of one and there'll be peace. It's a big deal to u that i go to heaven. It's not a big deal to me that u believe in heaven. u are welcome to your heaven...whatever makes u sleep at night. See what i mean?

In saying all of this, i believe it's already clear why i do not believe. No evidence, too many contradictions. But i always say something, i do not know so i do not believe. The gnostic atheist is another matter. Mine is a default position. But i add, if on the off chance, ur god really does exist, i would ask of him if he is the self same person portrayed in the bible, particularly the old testament. If he is, then he is evil and i really don't wanna know him. And i want no part in his heaven. If the christian god is the figment of man's imagination, they did a very poor job of it cuz he really is a very unlikeable person. I'm done here.

(1) (Reply)

Would Satan Be Forgiven If................? / Back-to-sender Doctrine Is Anti-christ / Warnings From Jesus, Economic Collapse, Judgement Of America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.