Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,150 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Secession : We Will All Fail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Secession : We Will All Fail (2130 Views)

On Secession: A Legal Perspective / BIAFRA: South-south Group Kicks Against Secession - Dailytimes / Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Secession : We Will All Fail by Akolawole(m): 7:22pm On Mar 31, 2006
Nearly every region in Nigeria is claiming to be cheated,ignored or neglected.

Yorubas cry,

Igbos yell and

Hausa complains.

Times without number, The tribes want to go and form their own republics.

All tribes forget that they are not the same tribe of 20/30/40 years ago.

Everyone of us solely depend on Abuja money nothing more.

Do you think any of the aggrieved region can survive?
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Hotstepper(f): 5:21am On Apr 01, 2006
Igbo's can servive any day anytime
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Akolawole(m): 9:57am On Apr 01, 2006
@Hotstepper

Survive on what, please give me facts and figure.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Seun(m): 7:05pm On Apr 01, 2006
The last time you tried it, you couldn't even feed yourselves and millions died of hunger. angry
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by hanson: 10:02pm On Apr 01, 2006
YOU choosed to ignore the most oppressed.That is the Iyaws,calabars,They are crying bloods
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by owo(m): 6:35pm On Apr 02, 2006
Seun:

The last time you tried it, you couldn't even feed yourselves and millions died of hunger. angry

This is what your perverted history tells you.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Seun(m): 6:41pm On Apr 02, 2006
Ok, so Biafrans did not starve to death. I stand corrected. They must have died of boredom.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Akolawole(m): 8:25pm On Apr 02, 2006
@Everyone

I am not really particular about Igbo but i still want to know what they will live, maybe proceed from Onitsa or Aba inernational markets grin
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by ono(m): 12:25pm On Apr 03, 2006
Kola,
You know, one problem with many Nigerians today is the ''fear of tomorrow'' They forget that today holds enough problems for all to grapple with, and thus, think much about tomorrow and all its problems.

I will respond to your post in the light of the above. I don't think the Igbos give a dime whether they were able to feed themselves yesteryears or tomorrow, what they want is equity and justice, fairplay and the rule of law in every facet of their life as Nigerians. Thesame problems we had as a nation that led to the Biafran War at the time is what we're still battling with today. It's still with us, that's why the majority of the Igbos will rather secede than stay in one forced relationship called Nigeria.

That we will fail as a country if any tribe secede is baseless. As far as I'm concerned, we've already failed as a Nation, so why worry if one ethnic grouping feels like opting out? The rest of the other tribes will survive, somehow. We survived before we were all lumped together to form Nigeria in 1914, what makes you think we will not survive if we part ways at this time?

A situation whereby all the ethnic groups are into a kind of[b] forced relationship where sentiments reign supreme is not worth staying in.[/b] And this relationship gets worst when some ethnic groups believes they are born to rule while the others are supposed to serve them.

The worstest of them all is when several ethnic group team up against a supposedly weak one to deprive them of their God-given resources by promulgating ethnocentered laws and operating a quasi-federal system of government where these groups feeds fat on the proceeds from a region other than theirs - such as we have in the Niger Delta.

We will not fail if we secede as a nation. But if we do not want secession, then we should operate a truly Federal system of government that will at most meet the needs and yearnings of the component ethnic groups in the country.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Larufa(m): 1:10pm On Apr 03, 2006
Secession or no session what I believe everybody wants is restoration of his/her Human Dignity. I can aspire for any post irrespectively of where I am from. That Is why every section of the country is complaining about one thing or the other and it will be so until we have a r[b]esponsible Govt. that leads and not rules us[/b].
Let us weaken the center and we see less of these complaints.

With secession, at the initial stage it will be very tough but with responsibe and visionary leadership we will all be better off.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by otokx(m): 2:19pm On Apr 03, 2006
the igbos are very enterprising and resourceful, their ladies are among the most sought after not only in nigeria but even elsewhere so i don't know why they keep getting a bashing. I think right now that 1+1 > 2 is what's holding us as a nation. Again when we really go deep down we find out that no good or bad thing is limited to one particular ethnic nationalities or geographical locations.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Akolawole(m): 5:03pm On Apr 03, 2006
@ONO
What is true federal System?
Why is it not working?
When did is start not working?
Is average Nigerian want a federal as in federal system.

@Everyone

I am a Yoruba and i believe we will mess up, We are not the same Yoruba of the '60's. If the Abuja government is not functioning ,what are various state government doing?
For God's sake i have not seen a viable project in Ibadan since Bola Ige's government.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by otokx(m): 10:26am On Apr 04, 2006
there has been some real projects in delta state
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Larufa(m): 11:19am On Apr 04, 2006
@Akolawole,
True federal system means given every component part of the country (in our case-- states) thier dues. Not distributing the nation wealth according to the desire of a very small group of people in Abuja. What has federal Govt. got to do with primary and secondary education when it is stated in the constitution that they are the responsiblity of Local and State Govt. respectivly, what has fed. Govt. got to do with Agriculture, land transportation, provision of water e.t.c.
The main function of a truely fed Govt. is the formulation of policies for the good of the nation and co-ordinating the relationship btw component parts (states). What we are having is a Unitary system given to us a democratic Govt. Let each state feed the center and not the other way round.
If we reduce the money going to the center, there will be less agitation about going to Abuja.
Each state Govt. will be accountable to the people of the state. Can u imagine been made to pay tax and nothing u did not see anything be done with the money in your area, won't u start asking questions? the people responsible for spending the tax payer money are closer at the state level than Abuja. How many of us can afford to go to Abuja? It will make us to less dependent on oil money?

True federal system stops to work, the day crude oil was discover in Nigeria and everybody now abandon agriculture that has been substaining us b4 crude oil.

Thank God u are bold to say u a Yoruba man.
Well I am aware that there has been some improvements in Yorubaland post Bola and co. era, It is only these set of present PDP Govt. in YorubaLand that have not done anything. Bisi Akande did alot in Osun State - New Secretariat and Govt House, many road network, new water schemes, free education and health services,likewise Lam Adesina in Oyo State, Adebayo- Ekiti state. Have you being to Lagos and see what Tinubu 's wonders?.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Akolawole(m): 1:46pm On Apr 04, 2006
@ Onanuga
Chief Bisi Akande is the best governor in OBJ's first term but others did not actually perform wonders.

Tinubu was caged in the last few years by Ogunlewe & Olabode George.

Do you think Hausas want Nigerians to weaken the centre?
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Afam(m): 1:54pm On Apr 04, 2006
Seun:

Seun,

I hope this is not Seun the moderator of this forum making the quoted statement above?

How can one make such a hate filled and erronous statement on an issue like this?

I would rather believe that we have 2 users with the name Seun here otherwise this is a bad development.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Akolawole(m): 3:49pm On Apr 04, 2006
@Afam

It is Seun the moderator but that is his own opinion.

He hates Biafra.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Larufa(m): 12:23pm On Apr 05, 2006
@Akolawole
Akolawole:

Do you think Hausas want Nigerians to weaken the centre?

Hausas will be better off with a weak centre, if only they are made to realise the great advantages and potentials of their large area mass 4 Agriculture. Agriculture is as good (if not better) revenue earner as crude oil when given the right attentions.
As crude oil gives energy to auto, industries so does agriculture to human beings.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Akolawole(m): 6:16pm On Apr 05, 2006
@Ono

You may not agree with me

This ready-made money we call Crude oil has finised all the region.

Nobody is ready for those Agriculture of a thing again.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Larufa(m): 6:57pm On Apr 05, 2006
@Akolawole,
Do you know that oil Palm processing is as profitable as crude oil refining. What about maize, sorgum, wheat, cocoa, garlic e.t.c. These are potential source of huge income far more than crude oil.
But we have to work for it to come into fruition.
A nation that can not feed herself does not worth being called a Nation.

Appropriate Agric. practise will generate huge employment (which will leads to less security problems), conserve foreign exchange and as a fact of fact secure the nation against foreign pressure.
The Northern Parts of the country are with large land mass, which can be annex for the benefit of the nation with good, responsible and visionary leadership.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by mochafella(m): 8:52pm On Apr 06, 2006
onanugaola:

Hausas will be better off with a weak centre, if only they are made to realise the great advantages and potentials of their large area mass 4 Agriculture.

Something tells me the Hausas would rather die than have a weak center. Whose idea was the Federal character policy? Who fights like hell against a restructuring of the revenue allocation and derivation formulas? Even further back, who did not want independence from the Brits?

onanugaola:

Agriculture is as good (if not better) revenue earner as crude oil when given the right attentions.

It also happens that agriculture is hard back-breaking work. Why would the Hausas want that when a strong center that they control will give them the same if not more revenue.

I truly beleive if we cannot solve our issues now the same theiving politicans will do the same if we split.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Akolawole(m): 11:24pm On Apr 06, 2006
@Onanugaola

I assume you believe Naija's problem is Leadership.

Please comment on my thread Nigeria's problem:Is it Container or Content ? : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-8220.0.html.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Idekeson(m): 1:55am On Apr 13, 2006
@Seun
There is a difference between opinion and erroneous information. Biafra failed because it was up against a Nigerian military solidly backed by the British.
I am very sure your comments wasn't as a result of ignorance of facts surrounding the Nigeria civil war. That's why I'm highly disappointed.
You are free to have an opinion without taking shots at Igbos whom you are quite aware, are anything but failures in any field of human endeavor.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Vongauche(m): 2:17am On Apr 13, 2006
my guy, it doesn't matter why "biafra" failed. the fact is it did.

i honestly, believe that even though we are a diverse mix of people, we still should be one as therein lies our strength (i.e. the potent mix). yes, the british lumped us together for their own benefit and made sure we never walked without a limp, but out of evil can come good.

but will we survive? will we be truly great and once again begin to realise our potential?
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by Idekeson(m): 2:29am On Apr 13, 2006
Vongauche:

my guy, it doesn't matter why "biafra" failed. the fact is it did.

Biafra never had a chance to succeed or fail. There is a difference between a failed state and a conquered state.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by mekaozi: 8:16am On Apr 13, 2006
NO country succeeds during civil war, history tells us that. When u cut off the routes through which shipments that feeds people comes in as a result of u having the whole military equipments, then people will definitely starve. Look at the innovation of Igbos, should I say Biafrans. We dominate everything that shows creativity including the movie industry. Just like the Japanese did not need to have any significant natural resource to create the world second largest economy,, Igbos would have been able to turn that desert land of theirs into goldmine had they had the opportunity, don't forget that isreal, which created wealth out of the barren land they occupy, was the first to establish an embassy in Biafra. It would have been a match made in heaven had the egyptian aircrafts with the intentions of them maintaining their islamic influence on Nigeria did not bomb the hell out of innocent biafrans that was clucthing for cover. Of course u can bet the United STates are regreting having stayed on the sideline during that issue, but trust me, the next time it happens, the war i mean, it will not be anything like the previous one, especially with the northern islamic states becoming more radicalized by the hour. U can bet which side the free world will be on, and don't forget were the oil wells are, grin
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by gidig(m): 9:22am On Apr 13, 2006
I really dont think that the parts on their won can survive.I doubt it. In the seventies, maybe.But now, with so much integration going, it is near impossibility.Everyone is going to their ethnic hole because of the challenging state of our polity and economy.
Some of the leders of this ethnic agendas were people who were refused bread at the centre and they decide to make trouble and emphasize their difference as the basis of their inability to get things right.

On a softer note, do you know how many Nigerians have intermarried while all these is going on? People are moving on with their lives.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by moyosoret(f): 1:57pm On Apr 13, 2006
i think, we are addressing these issue wrongly, we shouldnt take it personal in anyway, whatever happens to biafra was in the past and we should give reasonable suggestions to the topic raised in the best way we can.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by moyosoret(f): 2:08pm On Apr 13, 2006
@ Akolawole - u said in the opening of this tread that every section of the nation is complainig of one thing or the other and i think that is the foundation of our problem in Nigeria. if and when we can stop complainig and start thinking of proferring solutions to our sectional problems, then and only then would we be able to move forward.
we first need to see ourself in whichever section or part of the country we belong as one and be bonded first, a yoruba man from Ibadan should see a yoruba man from oshogbo as part of himself and an igboman from anambra should not in anyway be different from an igboman from Enugu, same applies to the people from the north, then at this point we can start to talk of seceding. the selfish interest and individualist behaviour characterised of an average Nigerian makes it difficult at this point to get any meaningful secedding.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by moyosoret(f): 2:15pm On Apr 13, 2006
if we all can forget about our aggrevation and be developmental focused, we definitely will get there. if yorubas seeing themselves as one can forget about the central government and believe in themselves and in the area of farming the are blessed with and also focus on the natural resources God has blessed them with, then there will be a great result. infact, they will come to be the envy and point of reference and reverence of that central power, same thing applies to the north, the have great talents and blessed with farming knowlge and land, those great groundnut pyramids, where are they today?- and let the southern region concentrate on fishing and ther natural resoures they have, leaving the centre to control the oil that is the problem of Nigeria today.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by moyosoret(f): 2:27pm On Apr 13, 2006
i liken Nigerian situation to a man who is very wealthy, mainly by working hard but from a poor family with brothers and sisters. the poor man gives his brothers and sisters about 36 of them 50k monthly to survive, and they all still complain and fight their brother that the money is too small and cannot feed them, those with family among the brothers complain that they have large family and therefore wants the money increased. they take it to the extent of being violent with the brother forgeting that when they were all growing up they survived somehow, before thier brother made all the wealth, they still survived, so why depending on your brother wealth, u may feel whatever belongs to your brother is yopurs but there is a yoruba adage that says something does not belong to one's father's son without demarcation- (nkan o nje t'omo baba eni ko ma laala).
in the united kingdom today, there are so many lands-England, scotland,walesetc ireland was part of it before it seceded and today its a country on its own, scotland at present is negotiating for its freedom without any civil war, the reason?-they first took themselves as one and were united, and everyother thing followed. if we can start to do this in Nigeria today, then it ll be better for us.
Re: Secession : We Will All Fail by ababoy1(m): 5:58pm On Apr 18, 2006
The last time you tried it, you couldn't even feed yourselves and millions died of hunger.

Ok, so Biafrans did not starve to death. I stand corrected. They must have died of boredom.

Another topic on Biafra, another set of dippy comments from Nwoke (formerly known as Seun). You sometimes cant help yourself can you?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who would win : MEND or JTF? / Suspected Treasury Looter appointed by Pres. Jonathan / Lagos-state-speaker-kuforiji-in-alleged-adulterous-scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.