Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race (2696 Views)

Ooni, Before His Death, Spoke Of Marginalisation Of The Yoruba Race – Obasanjo / One Term Presidency: NTA Video Exposes The Lies Of President Jonathan [WATCH] / Asari Dokubo Exposes The Buhari - MEND - Boko Haram Connection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by denko(m): 3:14pm On May 29, 2012
So they really did not love MKO as much as they made us believe in public. I never knew that despite their public posturing on Abiola and June 12 they hated the man with a passion. By this action of the Yoruba's I am now tempted to believe that IBB was right after all when he said that the Yoruba's forced him to annul the June 12 election. Why are the Yoruba’s protesting....after all Ahmadu Bello University which I attended (1980-1983) is one of the prestigious universities in Nigeria. The Northerners are so proud that the university is named after their illustrious son Sir Ahmadu Bello. Why are the Yoruba’s not proud of MKO and happy that a foremost university in Nigeria is named after him? It all makes me sad. == PS. Observe that the two ladies in the picture above carrying placards are Yoruba Muslims (I know this from their head gear) who share the same religious faith with MKO. Where is the brotherly affection that God commands? They are indeed a disgrace to Islam

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by ektbear: 3:20pm On May 29, 2012
Seems appropriate to reuse an existing post rather than type a fresh response...

ekt_bear:

Loving MKO doesn't mean that UNILAG should be renamed after him.

Bill Clinton is pretty popular among democrats and democratic-leaning states.

Did anybody decide to rename Harvard after him? undecided

The problem is that Nigerians enjoy mixing politics up into everything. That MKO was a great politician, etc, etc doesn't mean he needs to have a university named after him...

Let alone one of the oldest and most prestigious/popular universities in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by jason123: 3:24pm On May 29, 2012
Funny topic. Even funnier write-up

I guess GEJ also exposed the hypocrisy of the Igbo. He tried to rename the University of Nigeria to University of Ojukwu. Why did the Igbo go against it?! We all thought they love Ojukwu?!

OP, sorry to say but you are senseless, that is, if you had any to begin with!

5 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by SisiKill1: 3:25pm On May 29, 2012
denko: So they really did not love MKO as much as they made us believe in public. I never knew that despite their public posturing on Abiola and June 12 they hated the man with a passion. By this action of the Yoruba's I am now tempted to believe that IBB was right after all when he said that the Yoruba's forced him to annul the June 12 election. Why are the Yoruba’s protesting....after all Ahmadu Bello University which I attended (1980-1983) is one of the prestigious universities in Nigeria. The Northerners are so proud that the university is named after their illustrious son Sir Ahmadu Bello. Why are the Yoruba’s not proud of MKO and happy that a foremost university in Nigeria is named after him? It all makes me sad. == PS. Observe that the two ladies in the picture above carrying placards are Yoruba Muslims (I know this from their head gear) who share the same religious faith with MKO. Where is the brotherly affection that God commands? They are indeed a disgrace to Islam

Okay, so you want to show off your ability to string letters together to form words and words to form sentences. . .I get that. However, in your haste you forgot one very important rule - YOU HAVE TO MAKE SENSE!!!

Seriously, what is the point of showing off if at the end of the day there is no difference between what you write and what one get from a monkey banging on a typewriter??!

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Kilode1: 3:28pm On May 29, 2012
What sort of argument is this?

The city of Lagos is probably more important than the great MKO. No point changing the name of that University.

If GEJ wants to play ethnic politics ( which is unnessary) he can as well start a new university in Lagos and call it MKO.

This is just another ill-adviced move. No point starting an unnessary Lagos vs MKO debate. The School had a great and appropriate name.

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by ektbear: 3:30pm On May 29, 2012
Which one would you prefer as a graduate on your resume:

Bachelors of Science, Mechanical Engineering - University of Lagos

or

Bachelors of Science, Mechanical Engineering - MKO Abiola University

Which one sounds better?

The point is, you can't take a 50+ year old, relatively prestigious institution and then destroy its history by renaming it anyhow.

If you are arguing that because this was done with ABU, that it should also be done with Unilag...well, that isn't a very good argument.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Beaf: 3:39pm On May 29, 2012
Na wa o! Many things in this dear country of ours freak one out.
I for one do not believe there is any hypocrisy in the Yoruba for kicking against the name change. It is wrong to tar people with a general brush.

Beyond that, the fact remains that the demonstrations are a political exigency to save face by those politicians who feel caught out by GEJ's action. Afterall, lagos is an ACN state and as a bigoted party, it is embarrassing to them.

Funny stuff!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Kilode1: 3:42pm On May 29, 2012
ekt_bear: Which one would you prefer as a graduate on your resume:

The point is, you can't take a 50+ year old, relatively prestigious institution and then destroy its history by renaming it anyhow.

If you are arguing that because this was done with ABU, that it should also be done with Unilag...well, that isn't a very good argument.

That is the point really. Very correct.

An institution with a credible well recognized brand name should not be treated in this manner. You don't just change an institution or company's name simply because you want to "honour" someone. You have to weigh the impact it will have on their brand. The history and importance of the old name is way more important than the new one.

This is why I believe he did not think too deeply about this before approving it.

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Beaf: 3:42pm On May 29, 2012
Moshood Abiola University is a lovely name. Its a fitting memorial to the man.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by ektbear: 3:45pm On May 29, 2012
Kilode?!:

That is the point really. Very correct.

An institution with a credible well recognized brand name should not be treated in this manner. You don't just change an institution or company's name simply because you want to "honour" someone. You have to weigh the impact it will have on their brand. The history and importance of the old name is way more important than the new one.

This is why I believe he did not think too deeply about this before approving it.

As I said earlier on the other thread. He should name the university in his hometown (Otueke) or something in Abuja after MKO.

Afterall, it isn't as if MKO is a Yoruba figure alone. He is a national one.

Almost an insult to name a regional institution after him rather than a national one...

He wasn't a local leader, but the president-elect of all of Nigeria.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by jason123: 3:47pm On May 29, 2012
This is just too hypocritical. Are you telling me GEJ loves Abiola more than his own people??!

Love this comment by Pa Eziachi

By Eziachi
Please give me a break with your Abiola lecture, you can't love him more than his own kinmen. This has nothing to do with Abiola as a person but just Nigerian wicked politics of divide and rule. How can any sane person woke up one morning and thought to himself that he is going to change one of the biggest educational brand name in Africa after a politician?

Most of you knew my admiration and love for Emeka Ojukwu (Ikemba) and I will do anything to defend his name, honour and dignity, but if anybody is to go out tomorrow and change the name of Nsukka University after his name, I will kick out the greatest opposition against it. Because Nsukka as an institution is an irreplaceable world recognised brand name for the Biafran nation.

Ife, Nsukka, Accra, Cairo, Nairobi and Lagos universities names in my opinion is untouchable, its a worldwide known brand, how can anybody except a clueless with brainless advisers of a president do such a thing?
Its like renaming Harvard after Reagan, or start calling Oxford/Cambridge Winston Churchill university.

Knowing how evil and calculated Nigerian politicians are, this action is either precipitated by politics of divide and rule because they hope to achieve a scenario where if the Yoruba will say, we hated the idea, they will turn into that Yoruba/ACN hates Abiola and use it to polarize the zone or just Nigerian ineptness that causes then not to recognise the value of anything and Jonathan must surely be badly advised and should reverse this decision. This is not about Abiola.

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Gbawe: 3:47pm On May 29, 2012
denko: So they really did not love MKO as much as they made us believe in public. I never knew that despite their public posturing on Abiola and June 12 they hated the man with a passion. By this action of the Yoruba's I am now tempted to believe that IBB was right after all when he said that the Yoruba's forced him to annul the June 12 election. Why are the Yoruba’s protesting....after all Ahmadu Bello University which I attended (1980-1983) is one of the prestigious universities in Nigeria. The Northerners are so proud that the university is named after their illustrious son Sir Ahmadu Bello. Why are the Yoruba’s not proud of MKO and happy that a foremost university in Nigeria is named after him? It all makes me sad. == PS. Observe that the two ladies in the picture above carrying placards are Yoruba Muslims (I know this from their head gear) who share the same religious faith with MKO. Where is the brotherly affection that God commands? They are indeed a disgrace to Islam

Wow. What a rant. The thing blind and inobjective hatred will do. Non-moslems women don't wear scarf on bad hair days or before visiting the hairdresser? "Head gear" is now conclusive proof of religion? In any case, even if they are moslems, are you suggesting they should support Abiola blindly because he was Moslem also? Sadly, for you, not everyone is as bigoted as you are to the extent ethnic/religious affinity is all it takes to support a cause.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by ektbear: 3:49pm On May 29, 2012
jason123: This is just too hypocritical. Are you telling me GEJ loves Abiola more than his own people??!

Love this comment by Pa Eziachi

Hehe. This Eziachi is a very wise man. Sounds like just an older, Igbo version of myself grin wink
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by jason123: 3:49pm On May 29, 2012
Btw, OP, how you take know say Igbo, among others, no dey there (protesters)? No be Unilag again? undecided
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by jason123: 3:51pm On May 29, 2012
ekt_bear:

Hehe. This Eziachi is a very wise man. Sounds like just an older, Igbo version of myself grin

Abeg, don't use "this Eziachi", its "PA Eziachi". cheesy
I agree, he is indeed very wise and that does not disturb his pro-biafra stance! Its very hard to combine the two but somehow, he did it.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by ektbear: 3:53pm On May 29, 2012
Hehe, duly noted.

Didn't mean to be disrespectful, was playful grin

Pa Eziachi, henceforth.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 29, 2012
These students actually look like pepper sellers IMHO. grin grin grin grin

What is MKO's achievement?? June12 - but what did he achieve before that??

We need to stop celebrating mediocrity - the guy doesn't deserve this gesture...

He's a fraud!!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by ektbear: 4:00pm On May 29, 2012
shymmex: These students actually look like pepper sellers IMHO. grin grin grin grin

What is MKO's achievement?? June12 - but what did he achieve before that??

We need to stop celebrating mediocrity - the guy doesn't deserve this gesture...

He's a fraud!!

Which kyn 'we' be dis

You are on your own

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 29, 2012
How can you name a prestigious university, which represent a prestigious state - after a man who never really achieved anything??

The guy is a fraud, period..

I had to check his antecedents today, and it's a disgrace that Yoruba people actually love this guy..

What did he do for the Yoruba race??
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 29, 2012
ekt_bear:

Which kyn 'we' be dis

You are on your own

Isn't MKO the same guy who worked against Awolowo??

Isn't he the same guy who dined the with the devil called IBB - till the June12 saga??

I don't rate the guy!!

I'm entitled to my own opinion - and the guy isn't really that important to Yoruba IMHO.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by ektbear: 4:05pm On May 29, 2012
It isn't about what he did for the Yoruba race, really.

Pretend he did nothing for us.

The more relevant topic is what he did for Nigeria as a whole, to advance the progress of democracy in the country over military rule...

Anyway, that is probably best discussed on another thread
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 29, 2012
The same MKO sponsored the IBB coup - which destroyed Nigeria...

IBB single-handedly destroyed Nigeria - and MKO played a major role in his government...

Without the duo, Nigeria wouldn't be the shytehole it's today...

Yeah, Yoruba people supported him for June12 - and they were angry after the election was annulled, but is the guy really worth this gesture??

What did the guy do for the Yoruba race - other than destroy Awo's legacy??

He's a fraud - and he got rich off Nigeria's back.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Gbawe: 4:09pm On May 29, 2012
shymmex:

Isn't MKO the same guy who worked against Awolowo??

Isn't he the same guy who dined the with the devil called IBB - till the June12 saga??

I don't rate the guy!!

I'm entitled to my own opinion - and the guy isn't really that important to Yoruba IMHO.

My guy calm down and see things the way everyone else has. You are the only one going off on a tangent of attacking Abiola. issues are not about that at all . See the big picture as everyone has.

http://saharareporters.com/press-release/sng-rejects-how-unilag-was-named-after-mko-abiola

SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola
Posted: May 29, 2012 - 12:49
By Yinka Odumakin

The Save Nigeria Group(SNG) while acknowledging the eternal place of Bashorun M.K.O Abiola, the winner of June 12 elections, in the political history of Nigeria and would want the highest possible honor done to him; deplores the indecent manner in which President Goodluck Jonathan has re-named the University of Lagos after him.

Renaming a University established by law through presidential fiat is an abuse of power which would make even the symbol of democracy turn several times in his grave as he died in the process of fighting against arbitrariness and rule of he thumb which the annulment of June 12 represented.

It is violation of the principles and tenets of democracy which government officials are celebrating to go on air to announce the renaming of an institution like the University of Lagos[b] without any consultations with the university community in a manner reminiscent of the autocratic ways of the military brass hats who denied Abiola his victory in 1993 because they arrogated to themselves better knowledge than 14 million Nigerians who went to the polls.[/b]

This presidential misdemeanor displayed on the purported renaming of the University of Lagos without due process is at the heart of the mis-governance that has been the signature of a "democratic" president behaving like an Emperor in the last one year.

The scant regard for appropriation laws that led to the theft of N3 trillion on fuel subsidy whereas only N245 billion was appropriated, the deployment of soldiers against peaceful protesters against the law and other violations of due process in the last one year; are all signals of a dangerous mindset driving the country into a full dictatorship while pretending to a democratic order.

It is high time President Jonathan embraced a democratic mindset and stop behaving like maximum ruler.

We restate our demand that M.K.O Abiola must be given a befitting honor or the sacrifices he made for democracy in Nigeria in a decent and worthy manner.

Yinka Odumakin.

Spokesman.

Save Nigeria Group.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Beaf: 4:11pm On May 29, 2012
MKO's sacrifice allowed Nigeria to progress.
The FG owns Unilag, I don't see why ethnic issues are rearing their head (both against and for the Yoruba).
It has absolutely nothing to do with ethnic group.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by ektbear: 4:12pm On May 29, 2012
Imo, let's let this thread be focused on the topic at hand.

Another thread might be better suited for discussing whether MKO is due honor or not...no real reason to derail this one
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 29, 2012
Even OBJ who most Nigerians hate to love, actually did more for Nigeria than this MKO guy...

Why name a prestigious university after a guy who got rich off ITT??

A guy who sponsored IBB's coup??

Anyone associated with IBB isn't worth any good gesture...

Nigeria is what it is today because of IBB, and MKO...
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 29, 2012
Gbawe:
My guy calm down and see things the way everyone else has. You are the only one going off on a tangent of attacking Abiola. issues are not about that at all . See the big picture as everyone has.

This is the topic again: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race.

Obviously, the topic at hand is about the hypocrisy of the Yoruba race - and that's what my comments are about.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Ejine(m): 4:16pm On May 29, 2012
@OP

Sorry, that's bullshiitt. Moshood Abiola was neither an academician nor an intellectual, and naming that school after him only stinks of cluelessness.

That's like changing University of Nigeria Nsukka to "Emeka Ojukwu University". Wouldn't that be stupiid? Much as I respect Ojukwu, I also am aware of what is right, and naming an institution of higher learning after an ex-soldier definitely isn't.

As a soldier, what Ojukwu deserves is a monument or a park.
And as a politician and sports enthusiast, what MKO Abiola deserves is the Abuja National Stadium (which he even helped oversee its construction). Simple and short.

These leaders of ours are so out of touch with common sense, they can barely get anything right.

And the fact Abiola himself was illiterate is even worse! How can you name a serious University after a non-acadaa, no matter how good he was?

Let's leave the universities to peeps like Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Chimamanda etc.

PS: Yoruba is a nation of tribes, and not a race.

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by CyberG: 4:17pm On May 29, 2012
Goodness me! Is Mr. Eziachi a Pa for real if anyone knows him or if he will tell? I have read a couple of your posts recently and it's almost unreal you speak with such a clear and mature mind!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by lateef4me(m): 4:18pm On May 29, 2012
OBJ,one of our own was there for 8 good years and did not even acknowledge the sacrifice of this man let alone honour him and now the man fron South South has done it and all I see on facebook,twitter and nairaland are condemnation,abuses and stuff like that....
Hmmmmmm,I don't even know what to say again ....
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by Ejine(m): 4:20pm On May 29, 2012
ekt_bear: Seems appropriate to reuse an existing post rather than type a fresh response...

Bros, Harvard is a private school in Massachusetts o, anybodi wey try am go chop lawsuit grin grin grin

yeah, yeah, I get your point tho' grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Exposes The Hypocrisy Of Yoruba Race by ektbear: 4:26pm On May 29, 2012
lateef4me: OBJ,one of our own was there for 8 good years and did not even acknowledge the sacrifice of this man let alone honour him and now the man fron South South has done it and all I see on facebook,twitter and nairaland are condemnation,abuses and stuff like that....
Hmmmmmm,I don't even know what to say again ....

Your best bet is to carefully read and process the arguments of those who object to this.

Sometimes if you oversimplify things in your mind (as you appear to have done), then things will look confusing when they really are not.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bugaje Says Nigeria’s Crude Oil Belongs To The North / SHOCKING Picture Of Nigerian Police Station In Benue State (david Mark's Home) / Effects Of Oil Crash On Oil-dependent Economies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.