Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,639 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello (7584 Views)

Court Restrains FG From Renaming UNILAG / ASUU Introduces ‘UNILAG Forever’ Badge To Discredit Renaming / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by czay(m): 8:05am On May 30, 2012
The head of Unilag says the federal government held no consultations with him or the appropriate unions before effecting a name change

The Acting Vice Chancellor, University of Lagos, Rahmon Bello, on Tuesday expressed surprise at the Federal Government's decision to rename the institution as Moshood Abiola University.

Mr. Bello, a professor of Chemical Engineering, made the remark while addressing protesting students of the institution, who took to major streets in the metropolis following the announcement.

President Goodluck Jonathan had in his broadcast to the nation to mark the May 29 Democracy Day and one year of his administration named the university after the late Mr. Abiola, the presumed winner of the annulled June 1993 presidential poll.

The president said the gesture was to honour the late politician for his contributions to democracy in the country.

Mr. Bello however said the decision did not go down well with both staff and management of the university because the unions in the institution and the management were not consulted.

He appealed to the students to be calm and embrace peace.

"I want you all to be calm and remain law abiding. I also want to thank you all for the matured way you have gone about the protest.

"I wish to let you know that the news of the change of the name of the university took us by surprise because no consultations were held with us.

"All I want from you now is to go home quietly, go about your normal activities and do not do anything that could lead to the closure of the institution," Mr. Bello said.

He said the renaming has come at a time when the university community is planning to hold a service of songs in honour of the late Vice Chancellor, Adetokunbo Sofoluwe.

Oyelowo Oyewo, Dean, Faculty of Law in the university, also criticised the renaming of the institution.

"This is the country's first federal university; there was need for wide consultation before changing its name.

"That a democratic institution in honour of the late Abiola would be established in the university is a welcome development.

"Renaming the university after him, I think it did not go down well," he said.

http://premiumtimesng.com/politics/5353-renaming_of_unilag_a_surprise_says_ag_vc.html
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by REMMEI(m): 9:28am On May 30, 2012
These are what happened when you have a . . . . . . . . . . .as president

[fill in the gap]

1 Like

Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by udhedhe: 10:33am On May 30, 2012
REMMEI: These are what happened when you have a . . . . . . . . . . .as president

[fill in the gap]

Why dont you fill it up yourself?

remember what goes around comes around what the words of your mouth.
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by Slyr0x: 10:34am On May 30, 2012
REMMEI: These are what happened when you have a . . . . . . . . . . .as president

[fill in the gap]

R-E-T-A-R-D
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by Nobody: 10:36am On May 30, 2012

[fill in the gap]

When you have a mentally unstable man or retardeen
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by 9jvirgin(m): 10:38am On May 30, 2012
MALU grin This Jonathan no go kill person with laff grin

1 Like

Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by Nobody: 10:50am On May 30, 2012
Lmaooooo Nigeria is a Joke grin
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by killuminati(m): 10:53am On May 30, 2012
9jvirgin: MALU grin This Jonathan no go kill person with laff grin

is it MALUgrin (Moshood Abiola Lagos University)? Or MAUL?grin I dnt undstnd OoOo!
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by naylove(m): 10:58am On May 30, 2012
GEJ with his undemocratic attitude.its such a shame that a supposedly elected leader who vows to uphold d basic tenets of democracy has no idea wt his expectd of him.
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by honeric01(m): 10:59am On May 30, 2012
Well Said: Femi Akintunde-Johnson wrote - THIS IS SAD...I MEAN TO PROVIDE A PLATFORM WHEREBY THE MEMORY OF MKO'S SACRIFICE AND STRUGGLES ARE DEMONISED, RUBBISHED AND SECTIONALISED BECAUSE OF UNILAG NAME FLIP, IS WORSE THAN COMPLETELY DENYNG HIM ANY HONOUR AT ALL.

BUT THEN IT IS POSSIBLE THE PRESIDENT MEANT WELL...IF SO, HE CAN RESCIND THAT DECISION, AS A DEMOCRAT WHO SUPPOSEDLY DERIVES HIS LEGITIMACY FROM A POPULAR MANDATE, AND THEN DIALOGUE WITH NIGERIANS ON THE BEST WAY TO IMMORTALISE MKO...

THEN ANNOUNCE IT TO POPULAR ACCLAIM NEXT MONTH ON JUNE 12... AND WE SHALL BACK-PAT JONATHAN, AND RENEW HOPE THAT PERHAPS WE HAVE A LISTENING PRESIDENT, NOT A STUBBORN MAN WHO MISJUDGES MAGNANIMITY WITH PERCEPTION OF WEEKNESS OR DOCILITY.

4 Likes

Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by Odunnu: 11:21am On May 30, 2012
Did that dude just say UNILAG is the first federal University

2 Likes

Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by jaybee3(m): 11:23am On May 30, 2012
Order a change without adequate consultation shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Can someone please remind me what democracy is all about again
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by lbotus(f): 11:24am On May 30, 2012
^^^ i thought i had sand in my eyes. first fed university indeed!! lipsrsealed
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by captaindaylay(m): 11:29am On May 30, 2012
Odunnu: Did that dude just say UNILAG is the first federal University

Yes ooo...by all means.It's the first UNIVERSITY established by an act of parliamment and it takes only the national assembly to ratify it!
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by kasperone8: 11:29am On May 30, 2012
lbotus: ^^^ i thought i had sand in my eyes. first fed university indeed!! lipsrsealed

First Federal University established by an act of parliament he meant.Not that it is older than UI and OAU
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by sylve11: 11:38am On May 30, 2012
hmmmm! MAU shocked shocked shocked grin grin cool
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by Demdem(m): 11:44am On May 30, 2012

[fill in the gap]

Fooooooool

Sori, needed to fill the 10dots u gave.

1 Like

Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by honeric01(m): 11:56am On May 30, 2012
lbotus: ^^^ i thought i had sand in my eyes. first fed university indeed!! lipsrsealed

You actually had sands in your eyes grin
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by azimibraun: 12:07pm On May 30, 2012
No be unilag vc die hw many days ago? Dem still dey mourn and gej dey busy dey change skool name? Na wa o! E for even respect dia mournful state of mind na.. Who advice am abi na who beg am sef?
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by pek(m): 12:24pm On May 30, 2012
First federal university? So UNN and UI are state universities?
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by onatisi(m): 12:27pm On May 30, 2012
but i thought according to gej credentials he was a former lecturer he should have know the procedures to be followed before renaming a university , i think we are been ruled by someone that doesnt even know what he is doing at all . matter die
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by alex406(m): 12:34pm On May 30, 2012
This is a big surprise to us all,how can they just wake up and rename an institution without proper procedures? There is something fishy going on.
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by MickyMoore1: 12:38pm On May 30, 2012
The question here should be whether or not the constitution empowers GEJ to change Unilag's name - which it does. Why the brouhaha? And we should be careful about the names we call our leaders. GEJ remains our president and should be given the respect of that office. Its not all abt him, its about the office. If we are making criticisms, let it be constructive. Lets face the issues under discourse and stop calling names. Afterall, this man in question could be our father or by far our elder agewise, academically and otherwise. Personally, i least expected this unnecessary protest over an issue that should be applauded. A brother to Chief MKO (may God bless his soul), was there and he didnt see why he should be honoured.If GEJ, a South-southern can honour him, should we crucify him? And we have this problem of criticising anything that govt. does. If its not SNG shouting from rooftops, it'll be another body screaming. My problem is that u'll not see any of them coming up with a blue-print on how the economy can be better managed. Always looking for something to criticise. These people in power are human beings like me and u. They're not God. They do not know it all. Afterall, have we not seen how those who were throwing criticisms before they became govs are performing - Gov Aregbesola is termed worst-performing gov today. We know his antecedents. Please, lets show respect for leaders and make constructive and informed criticisms. Thank u.

1 Like

Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by beautifulzerah(f): 12:47pm On May 30, 2012
Wetin sef, the name good abi which one. y una com dey insult uncle Jona. He is working towards the best of all of us. our federal government and Jonathan are not minding the real business on ground. how many surprises do we get in a year? accept my sympathy or condolences unilag babes or maulag babes. Next surprise is what i am waiting for because i can't wait.
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by emmasege: 1:04pm On May 30, 2012
Is anything wrong in changing UNILAG's name when her age-mates (OAU and ABU) who are even more classy have since been re-named after deserved national heroes. if the reason for this protest by the students is because MKO did not deserve such a high level of honour, i give them my absolute support. As at today, no Nigerian dead or alive deserves to be named after UNILAG. The cases of Obafemi Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello are different. These were tested and selfless leaders whose legacies are indelible. what legacy did mko leave for nigeria or the s/west other than fraternizing with khaki boys and religious extremism by sinking a ship-load of the Bibles. i stand by obj's statement that mko wasn't our saviour
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by joinnow: 1:47pm On May 30, 2012
GEJ
so you did not consult even the Acting VC nawa ooooooooooo this is another Militocracy. i am not suprise after all He did like suprises eg increase fuel on 1st of New year.
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 30, 2012
GEJ should be recalled as the president of Nigeria,.....He is by far the worst animal to be allowed to rule Nigeria. I am praying and hoping for a coup to send the Fisherman back to his pond! What a disgrace!
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 30, 2012
First federal university? And UNN and UI are what? First moshood polytechnic? Smh!
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by sgabriel: 3:27pm On May 30, 2012
MR PRESIDENT AT IT AGAIN, THIS IS NOT A JOKING MATTER, IT IS JUST A REFLECTION OF THE SORT OF DEMOCRACY WE CLAIM TO PRACTICE IN NIGERIA. I AM SINCERELY NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO RETURNING.
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by Piyke: 3:38pm On May 30, 2012
Micky Moore: The question here should be whether or not the constitution empowers GEJ to change Unilag's name - which it does. Why the brouhaha? And we should be careful about the names we call our leaders. GEJ remains our president and should be given the respect of that office. Its not all abt him, its about the office. If we are making criticisms, let it be constructive. Lets face the issues under discourse and stop calling names. Afterall, this man in question could be our father or by far our elder agewise, academically and otherwise. Personally, i least expected this unnecessary protest over an issue that should be applauded. A brother to Chief MKO (may God bless his soul), was there and he didnt see why he should be honoured.If GEJ, a South-southern can honour him, should we crucify him? And we have this problem of criticising anything that govt. does. If its not SNG shouting from rooftops, it'll be another body screaming. My problem is that u'll not see any of them coming up with a blue-print on how the economy can be better managed. Always looking for something to criticise. These people in power are human beings like me and u. They're not God. They do not know it all. Afterall, have we not seen how those who were throwing criticisms before they became govs are performing - Gov Aregbesola is termed worst-performing gov today. We know his antecedents. Please, lets show respect for leaders and make constructive and informed criticisms. Thank u.

Even if you have constitutional rights to effect a name change, you should also carry people along shouldn't you? after all it is us the citizens that gave you that power to effect changes.
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by Ajoworldsynergy(m): 3:56pm On May 30, 2012
Micky Moore: The question here should be whether or not the constitution empowers GEJ to change Unilag's name - which it does. Why the brouhaha? And we should be careful about the names we call our leaders. GEJ remains our president and should be given the respect of that office. Its not all abt him, its about the office. If we are making criticisms, let it be constructive. Lets face the issues under discourse and stop calling names. Afterall, this man in question could be our father or by far our elder agewise, academically and otherwise. Personally, i least expected this unnecessary protest over an issue that should be applauded. A brother to Chief MKO (may God bless his soul), was there and he didnt see why he should be honoured.If GEJ, a South-southern can honour him, should we crucify him? And we have this problem of criticising anything that govt. does. If its not SNG shouting from rooftops, it'll be another body screaming. My problem is that u'll not see any of them coming up with a blue-print on how the economy can be better managed. Always looking for something to criticise. These people in power are human beings like me and u. They're not God. They do not know it all. Afterall, have we not seen how those who were throwing criticisms before they became govs are performing - Gov Aregbesola is termed worst-performing gov today. We know his antecedents. Please, lets show respect for leaders and make constructive and informed criticisms. Thank u.
... Mr moore, people like you will never experience change going by your submission. Now to make it worst you mention Gov. Aregbesola,when last did you visit osun state?,where is your base?,pls if you don't know much about things is better to be silent and learn. Aregbesola is one the best governor every state in Nigeria will always want to have.to clear doubt visit osun state.
Re: Renaming Of UNILAG A Surprise - Acting V.C Bello by gidig(m): 5:58pm On May 30, 2012
@ Mickey Moore, I don't totally agree with your thinking here. It is exactly this line of thinking that informed this unwise decision. It is pure tokenism to get the south west to warm up to Jonathan and the PDP. According to a former Odua movement leader, it was something that Obasanjo had proposed tpo yoruba leaders when he was president to appease the many activists from the South West, who wanted MKO acknowledged. They wanted something National in the Federal Capital to mark his contributions to democracy and OBJ and the powers that be did not want that. The truth is they still dont want that. OBJ had proposed UI or UNILAG and the activists turned it down. The PDP lords were willing to concede anything in Abiola's region of the country. That way, his influence couldn't have been more than regional and Yoruba. MKO was bigger than the South West. He got a pan Nigerian Mandate. Isn't it curious that the same PDP that found it so difficult to name the National Stadium in Abuja after him were so eager to apply this name change to an institution like UNILAG without even consulting the senate of the university?
Secondly, the timing is attempt an humiliation of Obasanjo, who has been saying very uncomplimentary things about the PDP, from whose board he has retired. If this had gone very well, President Jonathan would have been a hero, who did for the South West what their own son could not even do by acknowledging MKO Abiola. There is a growing realisation that this region will play a major role in deciding his second term election. Afterall, the people of the region voted him in on the basis of the persecution he suffered in the hands of the cabal, who didnt want a candidate in the minority in after President yar adua died.
That the students demonstrated is not a disrespect of MKO and all he stood for- it is the disdain with which the federal Government is help by majority of Nigerians. It is even more cruel that someone from the academia can show so much disrespect for the heritage of the University of Lagos. They could have bounced the idea off the community and listened for feedback. They may go ahead and name it MAUL against the protest and the outcry. Who says it cant be returned back to its original name by another Government that wants to win the people over?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Date For Osun State University Post - Ume Is Out / University Of Abuja: Protesting Student Disrupt Examinations At The / Command Secondary School Entrance Form Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.