Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law (5992 Views)

Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance / Meet Osimhen,Nigerian Striker Set 2 Break Under-17 World Cup Record This 9t(pics / Foreign Firms Take 43 Percent Of Nigeria’s Oil Revenue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Gbawe: 9:41am On May 30, 2012
Rip Off! Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law-African News Brief
Posted: May 30, 2012 - 02:22

Anti-Corruption protesters in Nigeria
By GIN

May 29 (GIN) – Nigeria’s long-awaited oil reform bill is a Christmas stocking stuffed with goodies for the multinational oil companies who have been feasting for years on the nation’s rich supply of crude oil.

Provisions that would have forced the government to publish how much oil it pumps and all the payments it receives from oil firms - in an industry where secrecy is blamed for corruption - have been stripped from the bill.

"I expect the petroleum industry to be happy. I expect many Nigerians to be upset," said Pedro Van Meurs, an oil and gas expert, in a press interview.

The Petroleum Industry Bill, stuck in committee since 2009, was fast-tracked this year by President Goodluck Jonathan. Under the new law, anyone who "interferes" with the oil minister will be fined or imprisoned. And it allows the oil minister and the directors of state institutions to receive gifts, which will not please civil society groups calling for an end to graft.

Meanwhlle, tempers are flaring over the failure of President Jonathan to punish those who orchestrated the $6.8 billion fuel subsidy scam, uncovered in a probe whose findings were released last month.

“We just cannot continue with this kind of massive corruption - especially in a sector that is very important to the stability of this economy," warned financial analyst Bismarck Rewane.

Professors at Ahmadu Bello University picked up the warning. In a press release posted today, they expressed “shock, profound indignation and total condemnation of all individuals, corporate firms and government agencies or departments that connived to defraud the government and people of hundreds of billions between 2009 and 2011 in the name of fuel subsidy claims.”

“This despicable and ungodly act has visited incalculable damage on the Nigerian economy, threatening the survival of millions of our countrymen and pushing our nation to the edge of near moral and financial bankruptcy. “

“We, as concerned citizens of this country, have decided we cannot afford the luxury of remaining silent on a matter which endangers the survival of our country.” w/pix of anti-corruption rally

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/ripp-foreign-firms-get-big-break-under-nigeria%E2%80%99s-new-oil-law-african-news-brief
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by mcnepow(m): 9:54am On May 30, 2012
This is heart breaking. Pray it isn't true. undecided
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Nobody: 9:56am On May 30, 2012
Our oil

1 Like

Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Gbawe: 10:08am On May 30, 2012
mcnepow: This is heart breaking. Pray it isn't true. undecided

It will be true. We are going nowhere under our anti-people and pro-elite senate President David Mark. Nigeria does not need enemies with saboteurs like Mark knifing us in the back with his indolent and pro-establishment leadership of the Senate.
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by jmaine: 10:24am On May 30, 2012
Do we have enough info to speak conclusively on this . .to the point of affirming it's authenticity . . . .

1 Like

Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by CyberG: 3:04pm On May 30, 2012
Haha...let's see the bastard president glad-handling the nations wealth to everyone but not the generality of the people. Will the so called owners of the oil (Nigerians) step up to the plate just once in a lifetime to shut down this retarde.d drunkard son of theirs??
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by manny4life(m): 3:10pm On May 30, 2012
Nigeria, my beloved country... to what end? cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 30, 2012
mcnepow: This is heart breaking. Pray it isn't true. undecided

How do you mean...heartbreaking shocked shocked shocked. To many thieves in this country , ur time is up tongue
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 30, 2012
CyberG: Haha...let's see the bastard president glad-handling the nations wealth to everyone but not the generality of the people. Will the so called owners of the oil (Nigerians) step up to the plate just once in a lifetime to shut down this retarde.d drunkard son of theirs??

I laugh you in fulani, We SS are taking our OIL from the hand of ABOKIs, NNPC is full of shit, and I am in support of anything that will break down Nigeria and break this country tongue

1 Like

Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by ayox2003: 3:24pm On May 30, 2012
jmaine: Do we have enough info to speak conclusively on this . .to the point of affirming it's authenticity . . . .
Exactly my thoughts!
But it could happen, we are in a Banana Republic.
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Beaf: 3:25pm On May 30, 2012
CyberG: Haha...let's see the bastard president glad-handling the nations wealth to everyone but not the generality of the people. Will the so called owners of the oil (Nigerians) step up to the plate just once in a lifetime to shut down this retarde.d drunkard son of theirs??

Shut your dirty bucket. The oil does not belong to you.
Occupy your cocoa, cows etc, I occupy my oil.

@topic
All hail Gbawe and his rumours. I have said he will soon begin quoting from ovation magazine. Anything with a nice sounding lie will do.
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by slimes(m): 3:28pm On May 30, 2012
So now, the sadthieves are free to steal as they like. I say sorry embarassed embarassed to our country Nigeria! angry angry
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by wesley80(m): 3:29pm On May 30, 2012
jmaine: Do we have enough info to speak conclusively on this . .to the point of affirming it's authenticity . . . .

Oh come on, can't u see Gbawe was the OP?
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Vergil: 3:30pm On May 30, 2012
Na una vote for all of them....no be so?

Remember how everybody was wankin ooff to Jonathan's campaign and other current politician.

Proof that media does help win elections!
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by ayox2003: 3:34pm On May 30, 2012
@Jmaine, it could be true. I just googled Pedro Van Muers and he said it all on NNPC's web.
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by ndahbros1: 3:40pm On May 30, 2012

I think not. In Nairaworld we rush to ill-informed analysis quickly, based on hastily-pasted news. Many folks here don't understand d meaning of 'authencity'. There shd hv been quotations from d bill; specific sections shd be read out.
Abeg, I don't hv time today for good, old GEJ-bashing. I'm hiding my own stick today jare until I confirm d news.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Demdem(m): 3:40pm On May 30, 2012
Beaf:

Shut your dirty bucket. The oil does not belong to you.
Occupy your cocoa, cows etc, I occupy my oil.

@topic
All hail Gbawe and his rumours. I have said he will soon begin quoting from ovation magazine. Anything with a nice sounding lie will do.

and what will it take the Retardeen to commence the disintegration process. Abegii spare me ur trash hypocrite. Abi, na Aboki go start that one?
Nonsense.
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Kuulnomsy(m): 3:40pm On May 30, 2012
Thank God i'm not part of this
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by sheyguy: 3:42pm On May 30, 2012
''Rumour has it'' kind of thing again. . . .anyway, that was how subsidy thing started too.
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by betrani(m): 4:03pm On May 30, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

I laugh you in fulani, We SS are taking our OIL from the hand of ABOKIs, NNPC is full of shit, and I am in support of anything that will break down Nigeria and break this country tongue
ROFLMAO
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Obijulius: 5:46pm On May 30, 2012
Yaribas should make comments that are proportional to their contribution to their crude oil and natural gas production and export, or (for common sense) sake stop blabbing.
What is your business with our oil and gas?
Na our oil and our gas, una wan cari una sabi sabi come again?
Thanks but no thanks. We are ok without your care!
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by jason123: 6:07pm On May 30, 2012
Obijulius: Yaribas should make comments that are proportional to their contribution to their crude oil and natural gas production and export, or (for common sense) sake stop blabbing.

I beg your pardon?! Ondo? Ilajes in Delta?? Are you sane?!
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by delvinmaya(m): 6:13pm On May 30, 2012
Obijulius: Yaribas should make comments that are proportional to their contribution to their crude oil and natural gas production and export, or (for common sense) sake stop blabbing.

guy,u dumb so tay even d heavens weep at your stupidity.
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by thoth: 7:44pm On May 30, 2012
The senates pass bills to borrow billions of dollars in a single day without consulting the masses. State goverments borrow billions from world bank yearly without the people in the state knowing. Each of these debts come with a set of evil destructive austerity measures and the senates will surely pass it so far they are given their cuts. Driving the nation deeper into misery. The removal of fuel subsidy,devaluation of naira,privatisation of state properties, hiking of university fees(IMF directive) and fund diversion into projects that contribute little to human development are all agreed measures given by the institutions that lend money to nigeria (IMF/World bank) i won't be suprised if this is true and one of those measures as well. Yet these crooks can do so much to the extent of mortgaging the lives of the next generation without the man in the street knowing.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Akiika: 8:38pm On May 30, 2012
Useless country,oloshi leaders, kolo people........ i don't regret renouncing my Nigerian citizenship any bit.
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by member479760: 8:47pm On May 30, 2012
anyone, please let me know any developed or even developing black country on this earth.
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 30, 2012
SO MANY UNHAPPY AND SUICIDAL PEOPLE ON NAIRALAND. CAN YOU GUYZ JUST FIND SOMETHING DOING AND STOP LAMENTING
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by member479760: 9:13pm On May 30, 2012
pump any quantity you can, just pay me some money! the only thing we gonna do is to establish standard for 3d cartoon, anything more than that na no go area for us.

our oil, their kokoa, their granut, their president, ibo-man, yoruba-man, fulani, hausa, we dey feed them, den slow us down, baba-suwe, OBJ, retardeen, na dem = typical failure talk
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by StarrMatthieu: 5:02am On May 31, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Akiika: Useless country,oloshi leaders, kolo people........ i don't regret renouncing my Nigerian citizenship any bit.
very nice!
Re: Foreign Firms Get Big Break Under Nigeria’s New Oil Law by Gbawe: 7:29am On May 31, 2012
ayox2003: @Jmaine, it could be true. I just googled Pedro Van Muers and he said it all on NNPC's web.

My brother, please don't explain anything to anyone. At least Jmaine had the decency to ask for more info. Those mentioning Gbawe are just showing their rank stupidity. If the Oil and Gas sector is mired in extreme corruption under GEJ, the "worst in Nigerian history" according to some, and the PIB's passage has been severely frustrated, to the chagrin of many, what is hard to believe in the suggestion the bill may be watered-down when it is finally delivered?

Are some blind to the obvious actions, or did we imagine that too, which shows this Government is in bed with oil and gas corruption?

Is the Fuel subsidy scam imagined?
Is KPMG Revelation of monumental corruption and total lack of transparency at the NNPC a Gbawe creation?
Did we force GEJ to approve an inane directive , probably to facilitate concession to cronies later, that Nigerian Refineries be overhauled by the biggest home of corruption (NNPC) for two year?
How about the investigative journalism that named names of accounts, businesses, abuse of power et al in the oil and Gas sector by influential members of Government like Adoke Bello and Allison-Madueke?
I could go on suffice to say Nairaland has just become a joke with how some , tediously, are now just limited to focusing on other forumers instead of debating with facts or even looking at issues objectively in relation to what has gone on under this Government. The Groupies mentioning other forumers should tell us what is said here that has not being said by others far more knowledgeable than us all. The simple truth is that oil and gas corruption is synonymous with the PDP because the NNPC and the entire sector has been bastardized as a political war chest and general cash cow.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/fg-lacks-political-will-to-pass-pib-into-law/

‘FG lacks political will to pass PIB into law’
On February 15, 2011 · In Business
12:30 am
Email0

David Ugolor

THE delay in passing the Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB, into law is generating increasing anxiety among stakeholders.

The Executive Director of Africa Network for Environment and Economic Justice, ANEEJ, Mr. David Ugolor, in an interview with journalists as captured by Clara Nwachukwu, attributed the development to the confusion caused by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, in muting several versions of the bill.
Excerpts:

The Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB appears to be facing more challenges. What is your reaction to the delay in the passage of the bill?

[b]The challenges facing the Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB, being passed into law is as a result of the lack of political will by the leadership in the country. Every step of the legislative process has been politicised to the extent that report from some media claim that some of the International Oil Companies, IOCs, tried to compromise some members of the National Assembly saddled with the responsibility to manage the PIB legislative process .

To also support this claim, recently some of the diplomatic cables released by the Wikileaks report on Nigeria also made reference to how Shell has infiltrated key government institutions in Nigeria.

This is not the first time we are experiencing such an action by the IOCs in Nigeria. You will recall that when we were also lobbying the National Assembly to pass the Nigeria Extractive Industry Transparency Initiative, NEITI Act into law, we saw how the oil companies also made an effort to water down some of the key provisions in the law that will assist the country to achieve broad reform in the oil and gas sector, particularly in the areas of revenue transparency.

[/b]

If you look back to the concrete outcome of the NEITI Audit report of 1999 to 2004 and the 2005, you will be shocked to see how we have managed the oil and gas sector in Nigeria. We have lost billions of dollars as a result of shady deals carried out by the multinationals in collaboration with major government agencies. A situation where oil companies will be assessing themselves because the government agencies like the Department of Petroleum Resources, DPR, lacked the capacity has put the country at a disadvantaged position. All attempts to remedy these problems, in most cases, are being challenged.

This lack of cooperation from the IOCs and some local oil companies has not really helped NEITI Secretariat to enforce the NEITI Act effectively in Nigeria. There are still mountains of issues yet to be resolved from those past audits carried out by NEITI.

It is this same challenge that is also affecting the PIB process in Nigeria. The IOCs with their local collaborators who currently benefit from the status quo do not want any reform in the oil and gas sector that will take away their pecuniary benefits from the sector. To worsen the situation, there has been poor leadership in the country and this has affected the oil industry, even to the extent that Nigeria, which was the leading country and flagship of the global Extractive Industry Transparency Initiative, EITI, is being affected.

The multinationals are kicking against some of the provisions of the PIB. What are your reactions to some of the issues they raised against the bill?

Well I don’t agree with the stand, which the IOCs have taken so far on the PIB legislative process because inasmuch as they continue to delay the passage of the law to strengthen the legal framework for their operation in Nigeria, it will also affect their activities as well. I think it is in the interest of the IOCs to cooperate with the National Assembly through a transparent negotiation to resolve the areas of contention and move swiftly to support the passage of the PIB Act.

Nigeria is not the first or second country where the government has chosen to review the fiscal regime that governs its oil industry. I think Venezuela and Bolivia successfully did that without the heavens falling. The big problem we are presently facing in Nigeria is lack of political leadership and that is what the IOCs are taking advantage of to delay the process.

[b]For instance, if the President of Nigeria takes the PIB as a priority and gives it the Presidential push and support, no IOC will undermine the process. But what we have seen so far is the NNPC making a mess of the process to the extent that we now have several versions of the same PIB at the National Assembly. During the public hearing organised by the Assembly, we were all embarrassed to see different versions of the PIB and that alone sends a message of confusion.

I recall when my organisation, ANEEJ, through the support of the Canadian Embassy, organised the first independent roundtable on the PIB, which drew stakeholders from the IOCs, government, academia, diplomats and civil society organisations to provide a platform for independent review, we all agreed that it is in the interest of all stakeholders to build a consensus to move the PIB forward. But I am surprised that after more than two years of that successful roundtable, we are yet to move forward with the passage of the PIB due to IOCs’ concerns in some of the provisions in the bill.
[/b]

While I completely share some of the concerns raised by the IOCs, I don’t think it is a better business for them to kill the process. The fact is that we all desire that the oil and gas sector in Nigeria be given an urgent and drastic reform if Nigerians must benefit from their God-given resources.

I also want to appeal to the IOCs to quickly look for a modest way to mend fences with the National Assembly and the Federal government, to quickly pass the PIB so that the right signal can go out to investors and the international community.

I also think that it can go a long way to sustain the relative peace in the Niger Delta region. It is for the IOCs and the government to identify the key areas of disagreements and look for a transparent mechanism that will provide access to all, including the communities who suffer most, to participate in building a consensus that will lead to the final legal framework.

Some industry operators also question some provisions in the Production Sharing Contract, PSC. What is your reaction to this?

What do you expect from the oil and gas players? They still want the laws made three decades ago to continue to guide the fiscal policies, which put the country at a disadvantaged position. Like I earlier mentioned, other countries have reformed their oil and gas sector to benefit from the increase in oil price.

Today, oil prices have increased dramatically. Why should Nigeria not benefit from it? I think is fair for the IOCs to cooperate with the Nigeria government to agree on a fiscal regime that will give Nigeria some benefits particularly as the oil price increases in the international market. We cannot allow the current fiscal regime to continue, while the IOCs are making huge profits, the country is not making as much to respond to the new challenges arising from oil exploration.

Looking at other industry issues, particularly oil spills, which have devasted the Niger Delta, how do you think this can be checkmated through legal framework?

As a matter of fact, the legal framework is already there, but enforcement is the key challenge. I think we should increase the capacity of the government institutions charged with the responsibility to oversee the oil spill problems.

Once we can avoid the culture of impunity, which is a big problem in Nigeria, and empower government agencies to prosecute companies and individuals found guilty, the problem of oil spills will reduce drastically. But unfortunately that is not happening in the Niger Delta. Companies and individuals are not respecting the law and to a large extent, capacity challenges also militate against the proper enforcement of existing laws guiding oil spillage.

A Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN Report put indigenous oil production level at just five per cent of the nation’s total oil production. What is the implication to the local content policy?

I think that is unfortunate because as you and I know, we must also be frank with ourselves that we lack the discipline to measure up, and if we must change the situation to reflect the spirit of the local content policy, we must be prepared to acquire the knowledge which drives the oil industry.

How we respond to this will demonstrate our seriousness as a country to increase our benefit. Unfortunately, the renter economy has done so much damage to the entire education, which is supposed to provide the necessary skills and manpower to enable us achieve the goals of the local content policy.

Quality manpower in the oil and gas industry is said to be on the decline. What do you think should be done to improve on this?

It is very simple; our educational system must be improved. Investments in the educational institutions are low compared to other oil producing countries that are doing well. For example, I expect that if the Nigeria government really wants to implement local content policy that would have been seen in how they handle the University of Petroleum in Warri, Delta State, as the first indigenous petroleum university in the country.

But so far, government’s action is not very encouraging and how do you produce the manpower and skills that will support the local content policy in Nigeria? We need to walk the talk, otherwise, we will not be taken seriously by others. So the right thing to do is for the Federal Government to get the right policy in place and ensure that they direct the resource to it for achieving the goal.

You have been organising workshops for states in the Niger Delta on revenue accountability. How successful have these programmes been?

For the past two years, my organisation, ANEEJ, has be implementing a capacity building project in five Niger Delta states, which include Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers and Cross River, with support from Norway, Switzerland and German governments.

(1) (2) (Reply)

CPC Denies Knowledge Of Buhari's 2015 Posters / Power Scam: EFCC to Charge Elumelu and others over 6bn Fraud / Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.