Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know (60905 Views)

We Are Not Leaving Nigeria - Virgin Atlantic / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria / Traveling To Nigeria: Things To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Roland17(m): 11:06pm On Jun 01, 2012
[b]To be honest, based on my experience and many others here, i would say, Stay away from Nigerians here, especially those you think are Family here, its hard but its the truth, many times they are nothing but BIG trouble, there are many nice people around, including Akata and other nationals, be very open to interact and communicate with them, they would help you faster than even your own brothers that have been here for Donkey years..

If you are not hard working, patient and cant persevere, please just sit your Lazy behind back in Nigeria and don't bother wasting your flight ticket, because like they say " there is no free lunch in the US"

And when you get here to avoid distraction, Stay away from Facebook etc, Focus on improving yourself based on the skills and education you acquired before coming here.

Lastly, Records are very important, be very careful, because if get into the wrong side of the Law, it stays there for donkey years and affects everything you do for life.

God bless the OP[/b]

15 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by tpia5: 11:14pm On Jun 01, 2012
Peterson1993: Chai. See traffic when de view this topic. Every body wan commont from naija. Where do we go from here
| | |

webmastern(m),
Soyedele1(m), crownfits, Osejie(m), Babs
adediji(m), xxxmoviesnig, ariyokunle,
abbgstar(m), Baba Ibada, Jenams(m),
sweetchicks(f), Johnnynash, ollyruffy,
double3, sesanayo(m), Tru_lie, dipo+,
Ozonna(m), mitcheldan, Sammiejo, chio,
O.michael.O(m), johnugwu, Lachynos2k2,
DIVINED, cutietreasure, shinystar(m),
baxterer, engineerd(m), Top9jajamz,
wandeay, Dipwater(m), Donxavier(m), Tlake,
sofa-dj(m), davmore750(m), johnonuh,
Gbenz, funmeme(f), targus, Uzoonyibo,
lefolksy and 61 guest(s)

97% of them are viewing under fake or assumed names though.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by DukeNija(m): 11:16pm On Jun 01, 2012
tpia@:
i almost opened a thread on this topic some time ago.

Almost cannot kill a fly..
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by dnative(m): 11:27pm On Jun 01, 2012
Don't make promises to peeps you are leaving back in Naija based on future projections. Remember, the deal is not yet done until money exchange hands and you are actually in a job abroad and getting paid.
Be prepared to start from zero and work your way up
Flipping burgers, Security Guard or Care Work is not beneath your dignity. Take each opportunity as it comes on your way up. Almost every successful and native Africans have very humble beginnings abroad.
Be prepared for lifelong learning
Learn a practical skill even if you are well educated (you'll be surprised what difference they could make for starters)
Don't rush to join the 'I dey go invest for Naija' crowd. Business opportunities abound in the West regardless of the tax regime - your investments may be much safer over there on the overall.
Don't be in awe of the American or British accent, it comes naturally to them. Be yourself and act as comes naturally to you. Having said, it is natural to change gradually and over time in adaption to your new environment. Speaking clearly is more important than faking a non-natural accent.
Don't start buying those designer apparels until you've earned your way and have surplus in the bank. Be prudent with your cash, learn from the Asians
MTV is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to go to jobs after all the flossing.
If you CANNOT do the TIME, DON'T do the CRIME. Too many of our brothers are wasting away in the gallows for want of the quick buck. There is no oga abegi for abroad - be wise.

13 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by glowitpride1: 11:49pm On Jun 01, 2012
I Thought wen u get there,u will surely make it .
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by sadyeek(m): 11:59pm On Jun 01, 2012
[size=16pt]how do you guys mean skills now? for, say someone coming to study, what rules apply to that person, abi its this same ones?

What i mean is, what skills will i rely on to get a job as a student.

Thnks...
[/size]
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by tpia5: 12:06am On Jun 02, 2012
Duke_Nija:
Almost cannot kill a fly..

shut up wink

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by AmakaG29(f): 12:37am On Jun 02, 2012
Not all is bad, but the common sense of it is to be alert, be discerning, and guard your own interests closely.

You can reach out to friends and family you know for advice, just get more than one opinion and do what seems right.

We live in the age of the internet so for a lot of practical information there are trustworthy websites. If you don't have a computer, they are free for use in the library.

While money is a major concern, building a personal network is important. If I couldn't eat tomorrow, I have more than one house to go to for a plate and even a bed.

There are a lot of immigrant service agencies that have counselors who can provide assistance and advice.

Learn to cook and clean for yourself. It is very expensive to pay for someone else to do it abroad.

School is great, but don't fall for those expensive programs that give people worthless degrees. Do your research about the ranking and quality of the school.

Limit smoking and drinking, they are expensive habits that can make you undesirable.

Befriend people who are either where you want to be or fast on their way. This does not mean you take advantage, but you can learn from them.

Get involved with religious organizations if you practice. Having a routine like church or the mosque can help build a network of people doing good things for good reasons.

Humility, kindness, and respect will do wonders even if it is not always returned.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by donezra(m): 12:42am On Jun 02, 2012
don't forget to go with garri,
it might come in handy.

2 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by papatosibe: 1:13am On Jun 02, 2012
Get rid of your heavy accent and always wear cologne. I hate FOBs.

If possible please stay in Naija. Too many of you here already. most are good for nothing anyway.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by manny4life(m): 1:25am On Jun 02, 2012
papatosibe: Get rid of your heavy accent and always wear cologne. I hate FOBs.

If possible please stay in Naija. Too many of you here already. most are good for nothing anyway.

Get rid of the heavy accent? And throw it to where? Over Atlantic Ocean embarassed embarassed embarassed

It's your type that crossed into U.S. and started to form with the weird accent that puts everyone in double commotion. undecided undecided undecided Double Jeopardy. Your trying to form mad your experience a terrible one, so you want to act out against someone else.

Please people, BE YOURSELF. This is WRONG ADVICE, people will gladly communicate with you if you speak yourself than forcing yourself to be what you're not. You'll be mocked trying to feel among rather than being yourself.

The accent comes with time, and when I mean time, it's def not 1,2,3 years, it takes years for the American accent to flow through because you have to learn the words, (we use different word than Nigeria does) and the pronunciation is different. You also have to fluently interact with people constantly before the accent flows through. Even educated veterans here still have slight African accent, let alone, a new comer.

As much as your spite and hate cannot be overlooked, for you to call someone an FOB, it certainly means that you're in the same system. Veterans do not use that word, unless students who're in the school system. So it translates either you're still in high school, college, and haven't seen the light for you to make such comment. So please, STOP the advice knowing that you're in the same FOB.

10 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Callimo(m): 1:27am On Jun 02, 2012
One thing I wanna tell any guy-man wey still de Naija is to put head down and find a space in the country where you can solve a problem. Look around you , u must find smthing u will do to better the lots of humanity; like that u make ur cool cash.

Discover a problem, solve that problem and money starts pumping into ur acc. Just dont think of travle, the economy of the western world is in total downward swing.My guys its not easy outside here at all. The whole world now depends on Africa for survival. So ,if u r still in Africa, pls stay put nd find ground where u can match. There r more destitutes in NYC than our dear Lagos if u don know.

Naija is the destination (162m people)good mkt for anything u can think of

4 Likes

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by sadyeek(m): 1:53am On Jun 02, 2012

[size=16pt]I am so ashamed and appalled by our post, so sading..
Just remember you were once one..
[/size]

Callimo: One thing I wanna tell any guy-man wey still de Naija is to put head down and find a space in the country where you can solve a problem. Look around you , u must find smthing u will do to better the lots of humanity; like that u make ur cool cash.

Discover a problem, solve that problem and money starts pumping into ur acc. Just dont think of travle, the economy of the western world is in total downward swing.My guys its not easy outside here at all. The whole world now depends on Africa for survival. So ,if u r still in Africa, pls stay put nd find ground where u can match. There r more destitutes in NYC than our dear Lagos if u don know.

Naija is the destination (162m people)good mkt for anything u can think of

[size=16pt] then come back now, what are you still doing there?? Smh.
No offence though
[/size]
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 2:02am On Jun 02, 2012
Don't think you'd just come here and stop on gold.

For Nigerian men in particular

1. Get rid of the body odor
2. Get rid of the halitosis
3. Get rid of the tight pant
4. Get rid of the bushman syndrome
5. Get rid of the. . . .

Too much on my list.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Callimo(m): 2:02am On Jun 02, 2012
sadyeek: [size=16pt]how do you guys mean skills now? for, say someone coming to study, what rules apply to that person, abi its this same ones?

Thnks...
[/size]

As for skills, crane operators, truck drivers, tractor operators and other operators of heavy duty earth moving machines are lacking.

Acquire those and ur are in it kpomkwem grin grin grin
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 2:04am On Jun 02, 2012
manny4life:

Get rid of the heavy accent? And throw it to where? Over Atlantic Ocean embarassed embarassed embarassed

[size=18pt]It's your type that crossed into U.S. and started to form with the weird accent that puts everyone in double commotion[/size]. undecided undecided undecided Double Jeopardy. Your trying to form mad your experience a terrible one, so you want to act out against someone else.

Please people, BE YOURSELF. This is WRONG ADVICE, people will gladly communicate with you if you speak yourself than forcing yourself to be what you're not. You'll be mocked trying to feel among rather than being yourself.

The accent comes with time, and when I mean time, it's def not 1,2,3 years, it takes years for the American accent to flow through because you have to learn the words, (we use different word than Nigeria does) and the pronunciation is different. You also have to fluently interact with people constantly before the accent flows through. Even educated veterans here still have slight African accent, let alone, a new comer.

As much as your spite and hate cannot be overlooked, for you to call someone an FOB, it certainly means that you're in the same system. Veterans do not use that word, unless students who're in the school system. So it translates either you're still in high school, college, and haven't seen the light for you to make such comment. So please, STOP the advice knowing that you're in the same FOB.

ROTFLMAO!!!! I can just imagine grin grin grin grin Little time you know, bird will turn to bhurd.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by papatosibe: 2:05am On Jun 02, 2012
Callimo:

As for skills, crane operators, truck drivers, tractor operators and other operators of heavy duty earth moving machines are lacking.

Acquire those and ur are in it kpomkwem grin grin grin

With fringe benefits like early retirement and a lifetime on Vicodin and other pain meds. Why get a good education when you can spend the rest of your life on SSI . . .
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Callimo(m): 2:06am On Jun 02, 2012

See madness . Yeye person, we go block ur account for here if u post dis kind shit nxt time.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Callimo(m): 2:11am On Jun 02, 2012
papatosibe:

With fringe benefits like early retirement and a lifetime on Vicodin and other pain meds. Why get a good education when you can spend the rest of your life on SSI . . .

Some guys come with Ekwekekwe for the pains anyway. But its all for the bux; no pains no pay grin grin
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by papatosibe: 2:12am On Jun 02, 2012
Callimo:

Some guys come with Ekwekekwe for the pains anyway. But its all for the bux; no pains no pay grin grin

I agree. No backpain, no SSI check grin
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by lacasa: 2:17am On Jun 02, 2012
Typical nigerians! (Well, certain kind of nigerians sha, from †ђªt certain part of nigeria) will put up a topic on migrating abroad.

Well, i just cnt understand it.

Everyother week, this Foreign govts deport & embarass nigerians who keep scrambling τ̅o go where they ain't wanted.

Southafrica, england, egypt, libya, sweden, israel, dnt want nigerians in their country †ђªt much, n τ̅o my shock, even senegal announced nigerians τ̅o be deported last week, ..its Amazing!!

Bloody Parasites i say, bt in finer terms- Bloody Immigrants
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Youngsage: 2:24am On Jun 02, 2012
Funny...
Also know dat it is possible to dey 4 jand and wake up d nxt minute see ursef deported in naija. Automatically. #jazz tins hehehehe grin grin
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 2:37am On Jun 02, 2012
lacasa: Typical nigerians! (Well, certain kind of nigerians sha, from †ђªt certain part of nigeria) will put up a topic on migrating abroad.

Well, i just cnt understand it.

Everyother week, this Foreign govts deport & embarass nigerians who keep scrambling τ̅o go where they ain't wanted.

Southafrica, england, egypt, libya, sweden, israel, dnt want nigerians in their country †ђªt much, n τ̅o my shock, even senegal announced nigerians τ̅o be deported last week, ..its Amazing!!

Bloody Parasites i say, bt in finer terms- Bloody Immigrants

How long ago were you deported? And from which country?
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by imperiouxx(m): 2:40am On Jun 02, 2012
Reproduction of already existing thread. Shiiiiior!
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by kinsab(f): 2:58am On Jun 02, 2012
nice threat,[color=#990000][/color] guy you too-much thankx 4 the pm jor
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by expensive007(m): 3:22am On Jun 02, 2012
manny4life:

It's your type that crossed into U.S. and started to form with the weird accent that puts everyone in double commotion. undecided undecided undecided Double Jeopardy. Your trying to form mad your experience a terrible one, so you want to act out against someone else.

trü€ tä£k brö.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by manny4life(m): 4:24am On Jun 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

ROTFLMAO!!!! I can just imagine grin grin grin grin Little time you know, bird will turn to bhurd.

lol...I know right, it's their type that I see that WILL NEVER learn because they keep speaking recycled thrash and call it accent. When I see some Africans in DC forcing themselves to speak, that sh/it irritates the fu/ck outta me, I'm like literally, DUDE, quit it, like seriously, knock it off.
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Murphy7h4: 5:11am On Jun 02, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]It blows my mind.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Bancuri(m): 5:19am On Jun 02, 2012
and no dey desperate to go overseas! WHY?
i don't get it!
Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by Nobody: 5:25am On Jun 02, 2012
Do not assist in carrying any lugguages for anybody ,even if he or she is dieing.Applicable in India,Thailand,pakistan,peru,argentina,chile,brazil,china etc.

1 Like

Re: Before Leaving Nigeria: Things You Must Know by gtrust: 6:01am On Jun 02, 2012
sadyeek: [size=16pt]how do you guys mean skills now? for, say someone coming to study, what rules apply to that person, abi its this same ones?

Thnks...
[/size]

Barber!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Uyo City - The Rising Colossus Of The Delta / Nigerian Lady Denied Canadian Residency, To Be Deported For Having Baby (pics) / Pictures Of Lockdown In My Area. (Asokoro District Abuja).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.