Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,472 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? (7240 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies / Any Viable Investment For Intending Retiree With Little Or No Supervision (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by kazey(m): 11:00pm On Aug 02, 2005
what are you infering?
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by Imnakoya(m): 5:04am On Aug 03, 2005
IAH:

Well, if anybody can provide me with a list of at least 10 Nigerians who made their millions solely on buying and selling shares, then I'm going to invest in it. rolleyes

If that is the way you want to go about it, I'll say forget it!. They are more than 10 FYI, and they are not for public consumption.
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by Seun(m): 2:46pm On Aug 03, 2005
To make many millions from stock market investing, you first of all have to have a few millions to invest!
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by IAH(f): 2:57pm On Aug 03, 2005
To make many millions from stock market investing, you first of all have to have a few millions to invest!

Exactly! That's what I'm saying. You can't make your millions from scratch through shares investment. Well, maybe it's possible after like 80 years sha, your millions from shares will meet you in the grave. grin
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by Imnakoya(m): 5:37pm On Aug 03, 2005
IAH:

Exactly! That's what I'm saying. You can't make your millions from scratch through shares investment. Well, maybe it's possible after like 80 years sha, your millions from shares will meet you in the grave. grin

You can't get anything from scratch, except if you won a cash lottery!

So investing in stock to make millions, from the "scratch", is somewhat absurd in the first place. Maybe I'm over reacting to these posts and just enjoy them for their entertainment value...so grin
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by kazey(m): 7:49pm On Aug 03, 2005
well i guess you are enjoying it wink
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by bioye(m): 8:38pm On Aug 04, 2005
how do i prove to you guys that investing.. in the nigerian stock market could be a great idea?

@IAH, ok, if you have some extra cash lying around, what would you rather do with it?
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by kazey(m): 8:57pm On Aug 04, 2005
Convince us. Really i am waiting anxiously . To see an article, that tackles every aspect mentioned before, why you should invest into Nigerian stocks. we are waiting o. Convince US!!
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by otokx(m): 12:17pm On Sep 12, 2005
ceteris paribus, i will be a millionaire in at worst 10 years today from my investment in share here in nigeria. And when i refer to a million naira, i am taking the baseline of dividend payments. Its not inclusive of the current market value of shares which can be used as a collateral for loans. The secret to buying of shares is in private placements. IPO's are equally ok but one has to be patient. However investing your shares in a business venture is still more rewarding than shares but its also tasking having to be involved in the day to day running of your own outfit.
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by Seun(m): 11:41pm On Sep 12, 2005
Another way to earn 10 million naira in 10 years is to simply save 8,333 naira naira per month. Anyone can start doing this, even young graduates. And don't forget that 1 million in ten years will be worth much less than 1 million naira is worth right now.

And the money you have invested can't be used for other things. But - then again, you say that the stocks can be used as collateral for a bank loan. This is interesting to an entrepreneur.
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by frankiriri(m): 1:42am On Nov 25, 2006
Before making my contribution I would like to state my credentials. I am a chartered accountant and student member of the Chartered institue of stockbrokers.
Every body talks about raising capital at low costs. This is only made posssible by the existence of financial institutions like banks and the Nigerian stock exchange etc. If you go to the banks to get a loan the level of interest they charge is usually too high for most business that is why companies settle for raising money from shareholders.  There is no way that a bank deposit whether fixed or savings will pay you better than an investment in a good company.
The capital market is actually not for short term investors but for people who have the patience to wait out the short tern fluctuations in prices of their stocks.

If you take a stock like First Bank and buy a thousand units for about 40k. That investment will keep yielding you dividends and the price will continue to grow as long thebcmpany's profit level continues to increase.
I invested in intercontinental during the last IPO and have received more than 250% return on my investment. If I had put that money in a fixed deposit there's no way that they would have paid me more than 15%.

In fact besides using that money to start a business, no other investment would hve gven that much return.
In fact it is recommended that even people with steady jobs invest in passive investment outlets like shares and real estate so that when they are no longer able to work they can be reaping the divdend of their labour.
In fact a whole new industry has been spun off from this concept.
The FGN has rcently enacted new laws providing for a contributory pnsion scheme that would invest contributions made during the working life of workers to provide income for when they retire.
The amounts gathered will be invested solely in dividend paying companies (quoted on the NSE), goverment securities like treasury bills and bonds and real estate.
The stock market enables you to make money slowly but steadilly. Its just that Nigerians are too used to get rich quick schemes.
All the anounts I set aside  for investment are strictly for investment.
I can only liquidate them to invest in something I beleive will give better returns for the same level of risks.
So If my business idea will give me more returns for my money with the same level of risks then I will invest in it if not I'll invest in other people after confirming that they are credible.

1 Like

Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by drey(m): 1:42pm On Mar 01, 2007
CHIMANU,

without saying much, i am a youth like you and i have started investing in stocks for long all i will advise you is to buy IPOs initial public offers of viable companies, companies that have lasted the test of time. try check the price after about 8 months and see if you will have anything to regret, from my past experience its 80% safe and money guranteed with 50% profit.
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by deejay1(m): 3:41am On Mar 02, 2007
every1 with there own idea about investment saa. i hate when people say investment in market 'stock mutual fund 'etc is risky its a stupid idea that while if you invest yea you want get what you desever. you don't need testimonies to know what you can get from your investment thou. if you had plan that what will i do if tthe company am investing in runs out of business, and you stick to your plan you will know investing in a company is not risky. having a savings account? yea u can but just keepin you money with the bank will only yeild you some naira!!! while not develop your investment geniousity and learn about investment. A LAY MAN WHO ONLY HAD ABOUT INVESTMENT WILL ALWAYS THINK ALL INVESTMENT ARE RISKY if you learn about how to reduce your risk if your investment turns out to be bad then you are on the safer side of the market. investmeant is just a long time security so learn about how to reduce/ get rid totally of your investment risk. is investment risky? HELL NO
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by naijafresh: 6:34pm On Mar 02, 2007
@Frankiriri

Its a pleasure

You can download an evaluation version and copy the layout into your own template in Excel. Saves you having to pay for it. Commercial software would have all the relevant formulas embedded so you don't need to device your own and can also contain bar charts and graphs

Excel requires a bit of work, patience and an element of trial and error depending on how simple you want to make it. I have a personal package i designed in excel for personal use. I can send you a copy and you can tell me what you think
and likewise send me yours and we can compare

Take Care

Owen
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by livewriter: 11:49pm On Mar 04, 2007
I'd like to invest in Nigeria's emerging markets. Where do I learn more? I'll be moving my company there in 5 years and wish to be well off when the market starts shooting up.
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by frankiriri(m): 1:36am On May 15, 2007
@ naijafresh
where have u bn.
Send me a copy of your package.
my email is frankiriri@yahoo.com
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by jandonguy: 12:23pm On May 15, 2007
@ naijafresh

Please could you send me a copy as well

Akinfolarin.Bajomo@ingdirect.co.uk

this will be much appreciated

many thanks
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by abujabooks(f): 6:08pm On May 02, 2008
It is important to teach the youths how to invest in general, not just shares alone.
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by smithdg: 4:18am On Oct 24, 2008
I am quite agreed with the tremendous contribution of you guys in Nigeria, well I am Collins Smith Gbemisola resident of bibao in Spain and i am planning to back home soonest , I am somewhat questioned and snagged with how one could invest successfully in the so -called Nigeria Economy/Market . And the only answer that sometimes whisper to my hearing is precariously undefined !, and this really created a sad scenario for me even coming back home with the mind of Investing in my Fathers Land , Can anyone who is fascinated about investment ( whether Buying/ selling/ stock /) should illuminates a clarity in my ambiguous intentions , SMITH , BILBAO CITY SPAIN
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by benard08(m): 3:18pm On Oct 24, 2008
This my post is in response to Smithdg's post. But before i respond to that, let me, commend all those who had  contributed to this post.
The Nigerian stock market is a viable place to invest. It is an emerging market and a virgine land.
It was not a fluke that it gave the highest return over the years.

Now to your querry Smithdg.
You need information in the Nigerian stock market. 
I want to recommend http://nigerianstockmarketsecrets..com for you. Bookmark it for update on the stock exchange.

Cheers.
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by benard08(m): 3:20pm On Oct 24, 2008
This my post is in response to Smithdg's post. But before i respond to that, let me, commend all those who had  contributed to this post.
The Nigerian stock market is a viable place to invest. It is an emerging market and a virgine land.
It was not a fluke that it gave the highest return over the years.

Now to your querry Smithdg.
You need information in the Nigerian stock market. 
I want to recommend http://nigerianstockmarketsecrets..com for you. Bookmark it for update on the stock exchange.

Cheers.
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by johninvest: 8:21am On Jan 05, 2009
If You decide to day trade stocks just keep always in mind that for a trader to survive and be consistently profitable, its necessary to keep things as simple as possible. To much confusion and technical indicators will most of the time make you slow in your decisions and froze you up when a good opportunity is right in front of your screen.

Here is a link that might be useful: stock investing
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by benard08(m): 9:50am On Jan 05, 2009
Day trading is good but highly technical. You need guts to be a successful day trader.
More tips on successful investing http://nigerianstockmarketsecretsDOTblogspotDOTcom
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by stockbull(m): 11:17pm On Feb 16, 2013
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by manie(m): 11:47am On Mar 23, 2013
IAH:

I disagree with you. What will you say about Akintunde Asalu, he started investing in the stock market at the age of 21, based on his holdings he retired at the age of 37 to concentrate on managing his portfolio.
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by manie(m): 11:51am On Mar 23, 2013
Seun: Another way to earn 10 million naira in 10 years is to simply save 8,333 naira naira per month. Anyone can start doing this, even young graduates. And don't forget that 1 million in ten years will be worth much less than 1 million naira is worth right now.

And the money you have invested can't be used for other things. But - then again, you say that the stocks can be used as collateral for a bank loan. This is interesting to an entrepreneur.

It is the ideal collateral by most financial institutions. Most especially if your have liquid stocks like Nigerian Breweries, Guiness, FBN, Zenith, GTB, Flour Mills, Unilever, UACN, WAPCO etc.
Re: Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? by NaijaPress: 10:03am On Oct 04, 2020
The Second Tier Of The Nigerian Security Market - The Nigerian Security Market was a strategy designed by the government to prepare Nigeria's economic situation for structural economic adjustments....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Invest In Your Future Now To Secure Your Retirement Age / When A Share Is On Steady Decline, What To Do? / How I Actualized My Project Of $15,000 Trading Forex, Prove Attached.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.