Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,251 members, 7,867,657 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:50 PM

Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? (11414 Views)

Photo: Late M.K.O. Abiola In His Youthful Age / Chief M.k.o Abiola: A Hero, A Legend, A True Democrat!!! / Ikemba Ojukwu Vs M.K.O Abiola: Who Is More Popular In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by zangiff(m): 10:52am On May 31, 2012
but he was killed.how long will the killer live?
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by emmasege: 10:52am On May 31, 2012
It's so sad most Nigerians always allow sentiment to prevail over reasoning. am a yoruba man but have never believed that abiola would have made a good president. u need not a prophet to tell you that he died for himself and himself alone. i also think he under-estimated the kano boy in power at the time and expected the western power to come to his aid somehow. For crying out aloud, he can't even be compared with the likes of abraham adesanya, Gani Fawehinmi, Beko and Fela Kuti, not to even talk of Baba awo. Why was there no resistance to UNIFE being re-named OAU, despite the fact that it belongs to the same generation as UNILAG and ABU?. I think the answer is obvious. A great man deserves to be associated with great things.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Danbibi(m): 10:59am On May 31, 2012
Men good deed are always wretten on water
ypzilanti:

Did you know that Abiola built a hostel in Abia State university. Till this day, it is called Abiola Hostel. Must we always look at things from an ethnic perspective in this country? Do you know how many people Abiola sponsored with scholarships in Nigeria? Including a relative of mine who is Ibo?

I tire for this country,oh! So no matter what you do in this country, some people will hate you just because of your tribe?

I have herad of his complicity with coup plotters, but I have never heard any concrete evidence, just conjecture.

I watched Abiola give a speech in Abia State when he was running for president of this country. He visited all staes of Nigeria...I was in secondary school then and it made an impression on me. It was a small crowd of about 300 people. The state government then was NRC while he was PDP, so he was in hostile territory. His speech was very memorable. I loved the guy and I'm not yoruba. Maybe you are too young to know this, but Abiola was loved all over Nigeria, it was the Afenifere that converted his mandate to a yoruba thing, when he was incarcerated. Before then, it was the labour unions and civil rights organization that were at the forefront of the fight to reclaim his mandate
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Stallion84(m): 11:12am On May 31, 2012
Beautiful thread as i was about starting it. What exactly do we remember Abiola for? How did he affect my life and that of my father? NOTHING. As far as am concerned, he was a business man who gave us his idea that he could make Nigeria better. He gave us HOPE and it couldnt be fulfilled. We need more than hope now in Nigeria. How many countless Heroes have we forgotten? Those who were slain in the course of duty, serving the fatherland or trying to make Nigeria great. I really cant point to anything he did for Nigeria while he was alive. Some say scholarship, for a whole community? No. i didnt even hear about it but i knew he was crazy rich. whether legal or illegal money, the man did not touch my life so why should we celebrate him so hard? Moshood Abiola Pry sch, MKO way,mko garden, mko roundabout, mko stadium, mko hall, Mapoly now mau. No disrespect to the Abiola family but Enough hype about the man and lets remember other relevant heroes.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Obijulius: 11:25am On May 31, 2012
Dat man was a mistake Nigeria should never have allowed to happen. He was never martyred, justice caught with the loser.
Obasanjo should have ended up like him...sighsssss
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Orikinla(m): 11:27am On May 31, 2012
See the real facts on MKO Abiola and the June 12 Crisis on https://www.nairaland.com/951771/president-jonathan-2015-political-desperation.
An eye witness account of the true story.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by hotwax: 11:31am On May 31, 2012
He was part of those people who sank 3 million bible in the arctic ocean.
I am a Yoruba man. The man deserves no regard.
A fraudster in his life time, and a religion fundamentalist like buhari
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by StaceyBanks(m): 11:37am On May 31, 2012
opata: You can choose to be president for whatever reason you want. But you must get there through a free and fair process. If the people choose to elect a goat or a known thief, they've made their decision and thats it. I think the question here should be what right anyone has to deny him of his fairly won mandate. The robbery didnt stop there sef. They went ahead and murdered him ...
has this anything to do with the question?
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by StaceyBanks(m): 11:40am On May 31, 2012
Danbibi: Men good deed are always wretten on water
why won't you support him? After all he sponsored a relative of yours. Abi no bi so? angry
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 11:43am On May 31, 2012
ypzilanti:

Did you know that Abiola built a hostel in Abia State university. Till this day, it is called Abiola Hostel. Must we always look at things from an ethnic perspective in this country? Do you know how many people Abiola sponsored with scholarships in Nigeria? Including a relative of mine who is Ibo?]

I don't believe that is true. I say this because I did ask while living there, and was instead informed that, like many of the other buildings in the school named after other individuals, Abiola Hostel was named after him, not that he built it.

This is why I keep telling people that rather than just regurgitate what you are told, please do some investigating to be sure.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by hardeyincah(m): 11:45am On May 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Why not ask your father since he's also elderly ?
you are so silly for saying that, has he come to toil with his father here.... his just trying to know what he doesn't know.... mtchew
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 11:50am On May 31, 2012
ypzilanti:
I tire for this country,oh! So no matter what you do in this country, some people will hate you just because of your tribe?

I have herad of his complicity with coup plotters, but I have never heard any concrete evidence, just conjecture.

I watched Abiola give a speech in Abia State when he was running for president of this country. He visited all staes of Nigeria...I was in secondary school then and it made an impression on me. It was a small crowd of about 300 people. The state government then was NRC while he was PDP, so he was in hostile territory. His speech was very memorable. I loved the guy and I'm not yoruba. Maybe you are too young to know this, but Abiola was loved all over Nigeria, it was the Afenifere that converted his mandate to a yoruba thing, when he was incarcerated. Before then, it was the labour unions and civil rights organization that were at the forefront of the fight to reclaim his mandate

Stop being childish! Nobody hates Abiola. He did commit many of the atrocities on his own, did he not? What has hate got to do with saying exactly what the man did to the Nation, and the future of millions of Nigeria?

First thing first, get your head out of your butt. Nigeria does not deny what happened during Abiola's ITT days, only that like many other politicians, he was not prosecuted for those crimes and billions he stole from us. Fela sang a song about the deceit. That the man did not rot in jail for what he did, does not make what he did excusable or dismiss-able.

His rags to riches story is one of criminality and unless you can prove otherwise. He wasn't a Dangote or some other business mogul, he was simply a man who took advantage of the system to the fullest. Why is it hateful to state that?
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by halavoke: 11:57am On May 31, 2012
ITT: int'l tif tif. Wonda y pple see him as a hero wen he's jst a big tym crook who aspired to be commander in/of tif(s)
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by rubi96(f): 11:57am On May 31, 2012
funny enough the only thing i remember about him is the SDP advert, and uncle Ben's rice that was so expensive dat time. grin grin grin
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 11:59am On May 31, 2012
hardeyincah:
you are so silly for saying that, has he come to toil with his father here.... his just trying to know what he doesn't know.... mtchew

Maybe you should ask your grand-father if your father was still young as at then. tongue grin
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Ugosample(m): 11:59am On May 31, 2012
Abiola was a criminal. simple and short. the truth is bitter but that is it. Remember International thief thief by fela? Gani was much better. fought for the masses till his painful death. Gani deserves more honor than what he got.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by ayox2003: 12:00pm On May 31, 2012
Thank God this thread is filled with SW'ers who shelved favoritism and spoke the truth.
Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola died as a victim of his own undoing. He was never a martyr.
1) ITT Scam
2) Sponsored coups
3) Religious fanatic- Sank 3million Gideons Bible.
4) Somany shady deals....
5) Uncountable wives and children
And the beat goes on. Fela sang about it.
When you talk about heroes, you mention Jerry Rawlings, Adekunle Ajasin, Nelson Mandela, Kenneth Kaunda, the president of Botswana and so on.

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 31, 2012
ayox2003: Thank God this thread is filled with SW'ers who shelved favoritism and spoke the truth.
Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola died as a victim of his own undoing. He was never a martyr.
1) ITT Scam
2) Sponsored coups
3) Religious fanatic- Sank 3million Gideons Bible.
4) Somany shady deals....
5) Uncountable wives and children
And the beat goes on. Fela sang about it.
When you talk about heroes, you mention Jerry Rawlings, Adekunle Ajasin, Nelson Mandela, Kenneth Kaunda, the president of Botswana and so on.

But same fela didnt tell us that Abiola was once his promoter whom he knew was dining with the military regimes until fela had an disagreement with him which made him released the ITT track.The fact that fela sang the music against him doesnt make him a criminal abi when did fela turn into a court of law to declare Abiola a criminal ? grin
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by levos2007(m): 12:12pm On May 31, 2012
hardeyincah:
Sometimes i don't understand Nigerians, maybe their IQ is too low to reason or running from the true, Because am a yoruba won't stop me from saying the true. Abiola wanted to became the president because of his own personal interest.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Fesisko(m): 12:23pm On May 31, 2012
Wao!wat an interesting topic. sad
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by omenziate(m): 12:26pm On May 31, 2012
Seven words : Thief and may he rot in hell.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 31, 2012
levos2007:
Sometimes i don't understand Nigerians, maybe their IQ is too low to reason or running from the true, Because am a yoruba won't stop me from saying the true. Abiola wanted to became the president because of his own personal interest.

And who were the pople that voted for him and died when the election was nullified ? His family members ?
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by greatgod2012(f): 12:34pm On May 31, 2012
No, he just wanted to add to his numerous titles
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 12:42pm On May 31, 2012
Abiola had his fault like all humans,but as at the last part of his life he realise his mistake and decided to rule to see if he can make a change.In any way majority of Nigeria voted for him ,the injustice that follow got him the people symphaty.It is my opinion that he meant well for nija(though that was what we taught of GEJ)assuming he was allowed to rule maybe we wiil have gotten the answer.He had his fault but i think he was a good man

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kagawa: 12:51pm On May 31, 2012
hhhhhhmmmmmmmmm passing by...............
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by yd849ja: 12:53pm On May 31, 2012
And is there anybody in the world that does not want to become President because of his own interest? Was Obama a saint before he became President? Is Jonathan a saint either? Oh I see he loved us so much that he has to sacrifice his own interest at the alter of selfless service to Nigerians. So much fresh air for all you fish and rat brained bigot on this Nairaland's idiosyncrasy. What is bad in been ambitious to attain personal goals in life? Is it a crime to want to become president. Why are we so obscenely ignorant in this country just because you want to pull someone down and colour him bad. Is anyone here a saint. Why do we hate success so much? You lots are too foolish beyond comprehension. He was a thief, he was corrupt blah blah blah and yet he was widely voted for by majority of this country. What's bad in fighting for what is truly yours? Even if it means dying in the process. At least he has died for a good course, Justice! and he'll forever be remembered for that. Hate or Love it. He was a Marty and didn't just die for his mandate he died also to safeguard our rights of freedom to choose, for our votes to mean something- COUNT!!! The very reason you are all still discussing him today. Even if some of you ruptured brain chicken are to scared to die for anything at all. Just coast on along in life. Living for nothing! COWARDS! MKO ABIOLA A TRUE NIGERIAN!!!

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 12:57pm On May 31, 2012
yd849ja: And is there anybody in the world that does not want to become President because of his own interest? Was Obama a saint before he became President? Is Jonathan a saint either? Oh I see he loved us so much that he has to sacrifice his own interest at the alter of selfless service to Nigerians. So much fresh air for all you fish and rat brained bigot on this Nairaland's idiosyncrasy. What is bad in been ambitious to attain personal goals in life? Is it a crime to want to become president. Why are we so obscenely ignorant in this country just because you want to pull someone down and colour him bad. Is anyone here a saint. Why do we hate success so much? You lots are too foolish beyond comprehension. He was a thief, he was corrupt blah blah blah and yet he was widely voted for by majority of this country. What's bad in fighting for what is truly yours? Even if it means dying in the process. At least he has died for a good course, Justice! and he'll forever be remembered for that. Hate or Love it. He was a Marty and didn't just die for his mandate he died also to safeguard our rights of freedom to choose, for our votes to mean something- COUNT!!! The very reason you are all still discussing him today. Even if some of you ruptured brain chicken are to scared to die for anything at all. Just coast on along in life. Living for nothing! COWARDS! MKO ABIOLA A TRUE NIGERIAN!!!

Take it easy on them. . .most were prolly not born by then. grin grin
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 1:03pm On May 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

But same fela didnt tell us that Abiola was once his promoter whom he knew was dining with the military regimes until fela had an disagreement with him which made him released the ITT track.The fact that fela sang the music against him doesnt make him a criminal abi when did fela turn into a court of law to declare Abiola a criminal ? grin
You know the truth my bro, even if you have no obligations to say it. You know you are lying.....

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by emmasege: 1:07pm On May 31, 2012
a devil u know is better than angel u don't know, as they always say. Abiola was an untested leader so it's not logical to sing his praises. Can anyone pls tell us his significant contributions to the growth of this nation before Hope'93 crusade. What were his impacts in the days of the evil genius?, did he ever speak for the oppressed masses before his political ambition?. Ken saro wiwa didnt die because he wanted to be Governor/President, and neither did Gani Fawehinmi, Abraham Adesanya etc. sentiments aside, he was not an hero. we only gave him sympathy votes.

2 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 31, 2012
How Abiola Emerged a ‘Hero’.

The democratic transition was flawed. Babangida formed the only 2 political parties. Babangida banned the candidates that emerged from party primaries. Babangida banned about every viable politician from contesting the elections. He left Abiola out because of 'friendship'. He never thought Abiola would be a viable candidate because Abiola was not popular amongst the Yorubas. (Abiola had oppresed too many people by shining wives amonst other sins.) He felt Abiola was too compromised and controversial to be a viable candidate. Nigerians tired of his misrule senced that Babangida's endless transition was to perpetuate his continued stay in office. The 'free election' was as a result of Nigerians determination to get rid of Babangida by giving him no excuse to continue in power. Their choice? Abiola SDP and Ibrahim Tofa NRC. Not much of a choice. Both were equally controversial and flawed candidates. Sensing that Tofa was Babagida's plant Nigerians broke for Abiola.

When Babangida saw what was unfolding as the results started coming in he realized that he the Maradona had scored an own goal and this man he knew so well to be flawed would be president. Hence the annulment on June 12.

3 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by yd849ja: 1:23pm On May 31, 2012
emmasege: It's so sad most Nigerians always allow sentiment to prevail over reasoning. am a yoruba man but have never believed that abiola would have made a good president. u need not a prophet to tell you that he died for himself and himself alone. i also think he under-estimated the kano boy in power at the time and expected the western power to come to his aid somehow. For crying out aloud, he can't even be compared with the likes of abraham adesanya, Gani Fawehinmi, Beko and Fela Kuti, not to even talk of Baba awo. Why was there no resistance to UNIFE being re-named OAU, despite the fact that it belongs to the same generation as UNILAG and ABU?. I think the answer is obvious. A great man deserves to be associated with great things.

You are a bastard child. How are sure of that? Are you God? what happens to giving people benefit of doubt. Its his prerogative. Then OAU was renamed by a military man FIAT. If it was in a democratic setting protest would have also happen. And the fact that it was done then doesn't make it right. MKO would remain tall in the annals of history of this country as the only man that died in the process of fighting injustice done to him and to Nigerians as a whole whether by accident or by design. I bet that's a concept a nincompoop like you would never appreciate. A more befitting memorial for Abiola would have been EAGLE Square or National stadium not UNILAG an ICONIC brand of 50years of Educational heritage. Stop devaluing our heritage even though we know empty heads like you and slowpoke like GEJ are yet to master such concepts. IGNORAMUS!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 31, 2012
Dede1: No, MKO Abiola was not even an imaginary martyr. In fact, MKO Abiola was a moronic thief.

SECONDED

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Threatens Withdrawal From Anambra Guber Poll / NUT Protests In Oyo Against Privatization Of Schools – Pictures / Revealed. The London Hospital Where President Buhari Is Being Treated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.