Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,444 members, 7,846,846 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 03:44 AM

Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? (11361 Views)

Photo: Late M.K.O. Abiola In His Youthful Age / Chief M.k.o Abiola: A Hero, A Legend, A True Democrat!!! / Ikemba Ojukwu Vs M.K.O Abiola: Who Is More Popular In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind: slave wanted to be master
master gave slave original lipton brew
slave quenched

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 31, 2012
[quote author=ypzilanti]

[b]Did you know that Abiola built a hostel in Abia State university. [/b]Till this day, it is called Abiola Hostel.
[quote author=ypzilanti]

Shattap, we are talking about somebody who stole money big enough to build 10 Tertiary institutions, you are talking about a bungalow named after him shocked, there is Aminu kano hall in UNIPORT was it built by Aminu kano undecided
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 1:44pm On May 31, 2012
^^ Not even 10 Tertiary buildings. Nigerian would have been on the same level as countries like UK, or Parts of Europe, when it comes to telecommunications (Internet, phone, etc) if Abiola has simply used the money he got to do what he was contracted to do. The IT infrastructure, and industry would have been light years ahead of where it is today in Nigeria. And that could have easily translated to millions more jobs to the economy.

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 31, 2012
ypzilanti:

If you were in his position would you not have given up on the struggle and gone on to eat your money

The guy felt wronged...he was given the opportunity to chop his money and most Nigerians would have taken that option.

Who told you it was his money, stolen and ill gotten money...abeg spare us all this ur romance with ex-criminal, maybe u r an In-law undecided
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by AdeCharity: 1:50pm On May 31, 2012
fm7070: I do not intend to create an uproar with this thread but actually need more education on certain things I know about Chief M.K.O. Abiola while growing up

1. Recall that Chief M.K.O Abiola was arrested alongside with the likes of Alh. Folawiyo and others by Gen. Tunde Idiagbon regime for several shaddy deals, price inflation of the products he imported and other anti-masses offences. I could recall that Chief Abiola was importing rice and was selling at a very high cost. Then, soldiers will break warehouse and sell at a particular rate which was cheaper than what we had in the market.

2. Several Coup was sponsored by this same Chief M.K.O Abiola including the toppling of Gen. Buhari / Gen. Tunde Idiagbon's regime which could have been the best military government in Nigeria that could have wiped away the seed of corruption that the likes of Chief M.K.O was sowing at that time. Was that for the sake of the masses?

3. The friendship of Chief M.K.O Abiola and that of IBB was not in the interest of the masses, not until the game-plan changed

4. This was one of the people who worked seriously against Chief Obafemi Awolowo, knowing fully well that if he became the president of Nigeria, business will not be as usual in their various nefarious deals.

I need more contribution and correction from elderly ones in the house, all I want is truth as it was/is. No sentiment.
job vacancies in nigeria; visit:WWW.Wealthandhealth.com.ng . Over 200,000 people visit daily. Inform ur people.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 31, 2012
Kobojunkie: ^^ Not even 10 Tertiary buildings. Nigerian would have been on the same level as countries like UK, or Parts of Europe, when it comes to telecommunications (Internet, phone, etc) if Abiola has simply used the money he got to do what he was contracted to do. The IT infrastructure, and industry would have been light years ahead of where it is today in Nigeria. And that could have easily translated to millions more jobs to the economy.

for sure
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 31, 2012
He was an unfortunate thief, who bit on more than he could chew.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by jcross19: 2:59pm On May 31, 2012
ypzilanti:

Did you know that Abiola built a hostel in Abia State university. Till this day, it is called Abiola Hostel. Must we always look at things from an ethnic perspective in this country? Do you know how many people Abiola sponsored with scholarships in Nigeria? Including a relative of mine who is Ibo?

I tire for this country,oh! So no matter what you do in this country, some people will hate you just because of your tribe?

I have herad of his complicity with coup plotters, but I have never heard any concrete evidence, just conjecture.

I watched Abiola give a speech in Abia State when he was running for president of this country. He visited all staes of Nigeria...I was in secondary school then and it made an impression on me. It was a small crowd of about 300 people. The state government then was NRC while he was PDP, so he was in hostile territory. His speech was very memorable. I loved the guy and I'm not yoruba. Maybe you are too young to know this, but Abiola was loved all over Nigeria, it was the Afenifere that converted his mandate to a yoruba thing, when he was incarcerated. Before then, it was the labour unions and civil rights organization that were at the forefront of the fight to reclaim his mandate
what ever u sow,u reap.he betrayed awolowo,defraud the nation in 70's that was how he became rich,a drug baron that was the closeness btw him and ibb.a man that was trying to islamised nigeria if he become president but God messed him up.abiola never in any sense fought 4 democracy or masses.people loved him because he threw money arround.poor nigerians,he was trying to buy nigerians.please guy,the death of abiola was victory to poor masses.

3 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by jaybee(f): 3:14pm On May 31, 2012
okosodo: Mko died because he wanted to be president. He did not die for anybody. The truth should be told

[size=18pt]GBAM ! grin shocked[/size]

The whole truth; and nothing but the truth

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by jaybee(f): 3:16pm On May 31, 2012
jcross19: what ever u sow,u reap.he betrayed awolowo,defraud the nation in 70's that was how he became rich,a drug baron that was the closeness btw him and ibb.a man that was trying to islamised nigeria if he become president but God messed him up.[b]abiola never in any sense fought 4 democracy or masses.people loved him because he threw money arround.poor nigerians,he was trying to buy nigerians.[/b]please guy,the death of abiola was victory to poor masses.

what else can one say? all these happened before our very eyes.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Orikinla(m): 3:17pm On May 31, 2012
[size=28pt]MKO Abiola was a victim of the ruling class power struggle from which he had benefited when the late Murtala Muhammad whose wife came from the same state as Abiola introduced him to the political mafia of the military power brokers in the early 1970s. He thought his Hausa military friends would favour him to become the President of Nigeria, but they betrayed him. He caused his own downfall when he backed the NPN against Chief Obafemi Awolowo of the UPN and he mocked AWO on TV and on the pages of his defunct Concord newspapers. The same AWO from whom he benefited in the education policy of the old Western Region and ended up at the Glasgow University. All those who ganged up against AWO later regretted it.

I am increasing the size for those who are ignorant of the facts of Nigerian history and come on Nairaland to argue like fools.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by jaybee(f): 3:27pm On May 31, 2012
tpia@:
that's interesting. Gives a clearer picture of those days. No wonder the north was allowed to vote for him en masse. I always wondered about that.

Abiola won the election in the north mainly because of two reasons: 1) most of north is progressives, courtesy of late mallam Aminu Kano and his discilpes Balarabe musa, late Abubakar Rimi, late Dr. Bala Usman, etc. and 2) he ran a muslim-muslim ticket with Babagana Kingibe; recall that Abiola was a staunch financier of islam and muslim atrocities in nigeria.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by fm7070: 3:34pm On May 31, 2012
I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread in a mature way.
for those who contributed rudely, I just wish you know more about courtesy

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by jaybee(f): 3:37pm On May 31, 2012
fm7070: I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread in a mature way.
for those who contributed rudely, I just wish you know more about courtesy

Thank you too. this is that kind of post that makes sense. it is timely and educative. we should not just be keeping quite on some things; we need to put issues into perspective.

bravo.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Afam4eva(m): 3:43pm On May 31, 2012
Let no one get it twisted about who Abiola was. he was very far from been a Martyr in the interest of the masses. Like someone espoused, he did some anti-masses activities in the 80s and has sponsored countless coups in Nigeria. The Abiola that people have been glorifying is popular known for the june 12 saga and not because he was a messiah. Infact, maybe if the election hadn't been annulled, he would have been the worst Nigerian president in history, Who knows. But the focal point here is the fact that an election he one fair and square was anulled not minding the fact that he was a cabal himself. Even if clifford Orji had won that election and was anulled, it would have still been unfair to him.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:48pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva: Let no one get it twisted about who Abiola was. he was very far from been a Martyr in the interest of the masses. Like someone espoused, he did some anti-masses activities in the 80s and has sponsored countless coups in Nigeria. The Abiola that people have been glorifying is popular known for the june 12 saga and not because he was a messiah. Infact, maybe if the election hadn't been annulled, he would have been the worst Nigerian president in history, Who knows. But the focal point here is the fact that an election he one fair and square was anulled not minding the fact that he was a cabal himself. Even if clifford Orji had won that election and was anulled, it would have still been unfair to him.

Very true
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 31, 2012
Fu c[/size]k ђhe Hausa/Fuulani govt. And dir pple. They made us think this man ώɑ̣̣̝̇̇ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ ƛ hero unknowingly T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ us that he ώɑ̣̣̝̇̇ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ J̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊t̲̥̅̊ part ☀̤̣̈̇f them. ƛ fool ώɑ̣̣̝̇̇ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ saying he build hostel and sponsor people's education, with who's money! He's Fathers momey huh? OUR MONEY!!!!! he ℓ̊Ƨ̷̜̩̌̋ J̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊t̲̥̅̊ part ☀̤̣̈̇f ђhe thiefs. He ddnt die ƒσя any democracy oo! [size=21pt] either he die ☀̤̣̈̇f not, military must def hand over! He ℓ̊Ƨ̷̜̩̌̋ not ƛ hero! If u call ђhe elf ƛ hero what will You Ϟ☺w call Mandela? god?
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by emmasege: 3:53pm On May 31, 2012
yd849ja:

You are a bastard child. How are sure of that? Are you God? what happens to giving people benefit of doubt. Its his prerogative. Then OAU was renamed by a military man FIAT. If it was in a democratic setting protest would have also happen. And the fact that it was done then doesn't make it right. MKO would remain tall in the annals of history of this country as the only man that died in the process of fighting injustice done to him and to Nigerians as a whole whether by accident or by design. I bet that's a concept a nincompoop like you would never appreciate. A more befitting memorial for Abiola would have been EAGLE Square or National stadium not UNILAG an ICONIC brand of 50years of Educational heritage. Stop devaluing our heritage even though we know empty heads like you and slowpoke like GEJ are yet to master such concepts. IGNORAMUS!!!

It's obvious u are one of those unreasonable folks that make them describe us rascals and whose sense of reasoning has been beclouded by ethnic bias. It's also apparent that u don't see beyond ur S/west horizon. For ur info, am born and bred in the Oyo empire, did my schooling in the best of Nigerian Universities and am widely traveled both within and without. i am not "omo eko", neither am i "omo at'oko wa bale je" like u.i however sense that u still have a few cells working in ur brain by thinking he should have been immortalized thru National stadium or eagle square. No Nigerian either dead or alive yet deserves this honour of re-naming UNILAG after him.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by emmasege: 3:57pm On May 31, 2012
Orikinla: [size=28pt]MKO Abiola was a victim of the ruling class power struggle from which he had benefited when the late Murtala Muhammad whose wife came from the same state as Abiola introduced him to the political mafia of the military power brokers in the early 1970s. He thought his Hausa military friends would favour him to become the President of Nigeria, but they betrayed him. He caused his own downfall when he backed the NPN against Chief Obafemi Awolowo of the UPN and he mocked AWO on TV and on the pages of his defunct Concord newspapers. The same AWO from whom he benefited in the education policy of the old Western Region and ended up at the Glasgow University. All those who ganged up against AWO later regretted it.

I am increasing the size for those who are ignorant of the facts of Nigerian history and come on Nairaland to argue like fools.[/size]

Please tell those dogmatic ppl again and again
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Why not ask your father since he's also elderly ?
why did U have to bring His father into this Matter?
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Alamutatalo: 4:21pm On May 31, 2012
It's really sad that a Nigerian could come up with such an unreasonable topic.I had a very sad week listening to
Youths making shallow,uninformed and daft arguments against honouring a selfless matyr.Nigerians don't read,especially
especially youths and therefore do not really understand the political history of the country.How many of the posters here
have ever made a sacrifice for even dr family members not to talk of total strangers?
Abiola gave his wealth to the poor even when he did'nt have much and never dreamt he cld become a contender for president.
He affected the lives of millions of Nigerians when he became very wealthy and finally gave his life instead of agreeing to a
compromise and betraying ordinary Nigherians that voted him.I now see that Nigerians truly deserve a president like GEJ!
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by adigunkan: 4:40pm On May 31, 2012
Alamutatalo: It's really sad that a Nigerian could come up with such an unreasonable topic.I had a very sad week listening to
Youths making shallow,uninformed and daft arguments against honouring a selfless matyr.Nigerians don't read,especially
especially youths and therefore do not really understand the political history of the country.How many of the posters here
have ever made a sacrifice for even dr family members not to talk of total strangers?
Abiola gave his wealth to the poor even when he did'nt have much and never dreamt he cld become a contender for president.
He affected the lives of millions of Nigerians when he became very wealthy and finally gave his life instead of agreeing to a
compromise and betraying ordinary Nigherians that voted him.I now see that Nigerians truly deserve a president like GEJ!

Could you please elaborate the bit in bold.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Orikinla(m): 5:01pm On May 31, 2012
[size=28pt]The annulment of the presidential election of June 12, 1993, by the despotic military regime of General Ibrahim Babaginda caused widespread June 12 Political Crisis and eventually resulted in the unfortunate loss of lives, including the life of the purported winner Chief MKO Abiola, who is now remembered as the tragic hero of June 12. And the subject of my 2002 political drama Sleepless Night sponsored by Chief Dele Momodu, the Publisher of the Ovation International Magazine, the French Cultural Centre and the United Artists for Human Development featuring the late popular actor Funso Alabi and choregraphy by the Crown Troupe of the University of Lagos.

I never approved of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, because the two political parties the Social Democratic Party (a little bit to the left) and the National Republican Convention (a little bit to the right) were not formed by any democratic process but by the military dictatorship of General Babaginda after he had disbanded the previous political parties and also cancelled the presidential primaries by his military fiat.

When Gen. Babaginda disbanded political parties and cancelled the primaries, the late Chief MKO Abiola and his teeming supporters never protested on the streets, because he was not affected by the undemocratic action. He was glad when the outcome seemed to favour him and MKO Abiola who was a chieftain of the capitalist political block suddenly became the presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP). And when the presidential election of June 12, 1993, was annulled by the same Gen. Babaginda, MKO Abiola raised hell! And trust the melodramatic Yorubas and the legions of ignorant masses ruled by herd mentality to troop to the streets to protest against the annulment.

As scores of political activists and poor masses were protesting on the streets, the children of Chief MKO Abiola and other members of the elites stayed away from the danger zones and MKO Abiola himself fled the country on self exile and returned later to declare himself winner and duly elected President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria!
But the new military dictator in power Gen.Sani Abacha dealt with him and detained him until both men died in mysterious circumstances in 1998.

When a military dictatorship formed only two political parties without the participation of the citizens of the sovereignty, that was not DEMOCRACY, but POLITICAL MILITARY DICTATORSHIP and if political power brokers and political opportunists joined the leadership of these political parties, they have done so for their PERSONAL SELFISH AMBITIONS FOR POWER and not for the democratic will of the citizens.

What the human rights activists and other educated and well informed Nigerians should have done then was to protest and reject the military imposition of two political parties on them and demand that they should form their own political parties themselves. But instead the majority of the hungry Nigerian masses and political jobbers, sycophants and opportunists fell for the political hoax of the ruling military dictators and ended up being disgraced and embarrassed when the red carpet was pulled from under their feet.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 5:24pm On May 31, 2012
Alamutatalo: It's really sad that a Nigerian could come up with such an unreasonable topic.I had a very sad week listening to

You mean the very same wealth he bilked Nigerians off? Cause He was not a captain of Industry. He basically got rich by taking money meant for development of Nigeria, especially
the nations communication systems into his own pocket. So as Fela said, he if gives only a couple thousand after stealing millions, what does that do to us? Absolve him of his sins against us?
Just so you know, the reason you are still paying so high for basic telecom and IT today is because Abiola robbed us of the opportunity to have a real system back in the 80s.

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by omonla5: 5:24pm On May 31, 2012
We all know that June 12 is the ultimate culmination of the 1985 coup of survival which Babangida staged for self – preservation.

Let us be frank, the man did not want to leave the place. He was coming out with the idea of diarchy. He sent people like Mukoro Tony Nyiam to study the idea in Egypt, Santiago in Chile, and an admixture of civilian and military leadership. That was what the man was planning until Abiola decided to contest. Of course you know the story of how Abiola emerged as the candidate of the then Social Democratic Party S.D.P. Abiola was able to emerge as the presidential flag bearer as the SDP in Jos as late Major – General Shehu Musa Yar’ Adua discovered that, Ambassador Baba Gana Kingibe was pealing away votes from Atiku Abubakar for Abiola.

The forces of Atiku and Abiola teamed up and worked for Abiola’s victory. What they did was that six people met at the residence of Ambassador Yaya Kwade on Ibrahim Taiwo Avenue in Jos, M.K.O. Abiola, his first son, Kola, Dr. Jonathan Zwingina (later became a senator), Major General Shehu Musa Yar’ Adua himself, Atiku Abubakar and Yaya Kwande. And they agreed, and Abiola himself appended his signature that the forces of Atiku Abubakar will co-operate and that when Abiola emerged as the flag bearer that he would make Atiku Abubakar his running mate. Abiola agreed. He became the flag bearer of the SDP.

While they were there, because we have to be frank, it was not actually a primary, for those of us who were there, Abiola bought the ticket, because of his money power. Where Ambassador Kingibe was spending N500, N2, 000 to buy delegates, Abiola upped the stakes to N10, 000, N20, 000 per delegate. Unknown to Abiola, Babangida’s agents were filming everything live. They captured everything on tape. For example, Abiola gave N10m cash to Lamidi Adedibu. And the late Adedibu was captured on tape with wads of Naira notes shouting to Oyo State delegates “Eyin ara Ibadan, Owo Abiola ti de”, meaning “Folks from Ibadan, Abiola’s cash has landed” (laughs) openly. You know the man was a political jobber, half-illiterate. And suddenly, delegates for Atiku and Kingibe moved and switched to Abiola. Abiola instructed Kola to increase the stakes to N20, 000 against N500 from the others. It was cash and carry for Abiola. They were all caught on tape
and that was the tape that Babangida sent to the State Department here in the United States to justify the annulment among other reasons
So all the trips to Abuja where he allegedly accused Abiola of operating for CIA….

No. He did not even give that reason. It was his crony, Sani Abacha, I am coming back to that issue, and it was Obasanjo who prompted Sani Abacha to stage the November 24, 1993 coup.

There were basically three reasons Babangida annulled the election.

First, the man didn’t just want to go. He wanted diarchy. That was why Olumilua, Adeleke, Ebri, Osoba, Otedola ruled with him for two years.

Secondly, there were deep – seated animosities between him and Abiola. Most Nigerians do not want to hear this that the money kept in Abiola’s account through an arrangement brokered by Babangida was one of the reasons that caused the problem. And of course when Maryam Babangida went to Beijing in China, there were reports that Abiola slept with the woman, which no one knew. Whether it was a lie, it was going to be a lie. These were the personal reasons. Babangida’s personal self entrenchment and the betrayal of each other over Sergeant Samuel Kanyon Doe’s money.

Doe was looking for where to keep the money he had stolen from the Liberian economy. He was looking for a place to keep the money for his wife Nancy and his children. So he approached Babangida. And Babangida told him “hey, I’m president here and I don’t want to put the money in my account. We have a friend who we can use”.

That was how he suggested Abiola and of course, Abiola had investment in Liberia. So the money was paid into Abiola’s Swiss Account.

After Doe died, Nancy, his wife came all the way from London to Nigeria. No Nigerian newspaper, most editors knew, but did not want to carry it. None of them could carry the story, the plan was for…. Babangida had suggested to Doe to go on exile at the thick of the Liberian war. He felt he could go to Saudi Arabia. The late Idi Amin also came to Nigeria and stayed in Sheraton Hotel during that period. Idi Amin called and advised Doe not to go on exile, that with timing, the war may eventually favor Doe. Idi Amin was the one who told him not to go on exile.

The Saudi authorities were ready to take Doe. As it eventually turned out, Doe was killed by Yormie Johnson’s soldiers. So his family, Doe’s families were now in need and they came to Nigeria to ask for what their bread winner had kept for them. Babangida welcomed them, and then he sent for Abiola. Abiola replied that, well the money was paid into the late Simbiat Abiola, his first wife’s account. And that he wasn’t the person holding that account, that it was Kola Abiola and that Babangida should call his first son, Kola. So Babangida felt insulted that this was a friend of both of them who was in need so that he could take care of his family and Abiola was saying all those kind of things. You know how I was able to authenticate the story? Through the late Shehu Musa Yar ‘Adua, because Chris Mamman, who eventually became Chief Press Secretary to former Vice President Atiku Abubakar took me to General Yar’ Adua’s office in Victoria
Island. Nancy Doe, the wife of late Samuel Doe of Liberia is in London, you guys should track her down for an interview. Nigerian newspapers don’t have the resources in the first place to pursue that kind of story and secondly, no editor in Nigeria will dare venture to publish such a story. I told you that Babangida has corrupted virtually all of them either directly or indirectly. It’s just so bad that most editors are on the payroll of the SSS while some are moles in the newsroom. Some editors have to be looking over their shoulders when they are planning stories because you just don’t know who would betray you to the soldiers in power. I doubt whether that culture has changed much. As I have said, we have the finest and the best journalists in the world but the institutional obstacles in media houses are formidable. Nigerian Journalists are poorly paid, there is no insurance and the tools are not there for them to work.
Was Mr. Mamman there during this conversation?

Yes. It was General Yar’ Adua who gave us the story. And he also said it that when Abiola ran into trouble, that he said, that he, Yar’ Adua had warned Abiola that “are you sure”, he was telling Chris Mamman that he told Abiola “are you sure that our friend Ibrahim was ready to leave?” That was what he said he asked him when he wanted to run for the presidency. “I wanted to be president too, the man banned me. Are you sure you would not be banned?” That even if you win the election, are you sure that Babangida was ready to go?” All that with the Doe offer…” and Abiola assured him that he too had done a lot of favors for Babangida in the past, he was the one who gave him money when he struck in 1985, that the two of them had extended favors to each other, and that he did not see a reason why Babangida would not want him to succeed him. This was from the mouth of Shehu Musa Yar’ Adua in the presence of Chris Mamman. But
most newspapers would not carry this story in Nigeria.

Babangida had been saying that Abiola would not last more than sixty days, ninety days. No soldier, no person put any gun on his head.

Have you met Babangida in person before?

I wouldn’t say that I met him one on one. The first time I saw him was in 1985, while I worked with Concord. One of Abiola’s wives had a baby and they were having the naming ceremony. Virtually all the top editors of Concord titles were in Abiola’s house that night at Moshood Abiola crescent at Ikeja; that was the first time I saw Babangida afar. In fact it was at that ceremony, the naming ceremony, that the details of the August 27, 1985 coup were fine tuned. That was where they planned everything. That was where Abiola released the money for the boys…

How much?

Ten million U.S. dollars cash. They wanted money. Babangida and his boys never knew whether the coup would succeed or not. And they needed money. There was no other safe meeting point were Babangida and Abiola would have a conversation. Rafindadi, the National Security Organization, NSO’s boss, had already bugged Babangida’s telephone lines. They used the innocent child’s naming ceremony as a cover – up. Duro Onabule was there that day. I think it was Ebenezer Obey that entertained, there were lots of musicians. I think Sikiru Ayinde Barrister also played that night. So while guests were in front of Abiola’s house, the military guys who came with Babangida, Abubakar Umar and the others retired to the back of Abiola’s house. It was in that place that they struck. They had chosen October 1 st, 1985 as I told you before but acted faster. Buhari is still alive; he should confirm or deny what I am saying… They knew the details. I
am issuing that challenge. Up till today Buhari has not spoken on why he was toppled. He should speak out. Top editors can corroborate what I am telling you now. They know it. May be they’re waiting for Babangida to die and then they would come out with their “exclusive.”

5 Likes

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by dayokanu(m): 5:57pm On May 31, 2012
HAH: Abiola instigated IBB to cancel the SDP and NRC primaries that produced Shehu musa yaradua and adamu ciroma respectively as candididates so that he can be the president, the candidates were also banned from contesting.

Just to correct some things here

The primaries of 1992 werent conclusive As In the NRC Adamu Ciroma and Umaru Shinkafi were inconclusive. Ciroma won 14 states, Shinkafi won 13, Lema Jibrilu and Bamanga Tukur won 3 states in between them.

So there was supposed to be a runoff between Shinkafi and Ciroma to determine who would be the NRC candidate

In the SDP, Shehu Musa YarAdua has an unassailable lead over his closest challenger Olu Falae but Yar Adua at that time still didnt have the needed percetage to be declared candidate

IBB actually came out in his speech in 1992 and said the political climate is still filled with the same old Politicians of over 20yrs and he banned All OLDBREED politician and called for the newbreed to come in bringing in Option A4. Where you must start from your ward, LG, state and it was open ballot

The 1993 SDP convention in Jos had front runner as Baba gana Kingibe, 2nd Abiola and 3rd Atiku Abubakar before Abiola struck a deal with Atiku and became the SDP flagbearer

1 Like

Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by temibenson99: 6:07pm On May 31, 2012
M.K.O Abiola is not at all, he only paid for the great sin he committed against God and the people of nigerians, even; when poeple taugth and were saying he died for the nigeria masses. Bible says, no sinner would go unpunished. A lesson for others who are were still seemly laughing from nigeria masses'[s][/s]weeping.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Degis(m): 6:23pm On May 31, 2012
levos2007:
Sometimes i don't understand Nigerians, maybe their IQ is too low to reason or running from the true, Because am a yoruba won't stop me from saying the true. Abiola wanted to became the president because of his own personal interest.

All this revisionist attempt at history!. I am sure that many of you were either in the womb or may be in your cradle, when this great on of Africa was parading this continent like a collosus that he was, MKO was MKO of Africa not just of Nigeria. The under listed were some of his achievements

1. Turning ITT into a major Telecommunication outfit in Nigeria in the mode of MTN, ZAIN, ETISALAT
2. Providing world class Newspaper medium in Nigeria eg National Concord, Weekend Concord that made super journalist like Dele Momodu, Dimgba Igwe, Mike Awoyinfa
3. Providing Employment for Thousands of Nigeria
4. Fought for Repatriation of Africa's stolen wealth
5. Provided Scholarship for indigent students
6. Philanthropist par excellence
7. Had the conviction that Nigeria can bid farewell to poverty through Hope '93 campaign
8. Fought the Military Junta of Sani Abacha head on through the Epetedo Declaration
9. A True Democract with impassioned commitment to fair play and Justice
10. A Lover of Entertainment which was evident in grooming and providing platform for Nigerian Musicians like FELA to display their talent to the world

Let all naysayers and hare-brain youths go back and learn their history. MOSHOOD KASHIMAWO OLAWALE UNIVERSITY, LAGOS HAS COME TO STAY.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by Kobojunkie: 6:28pm On May 31, 2012
Degis:

All this revisionist attempt at history!. I am sure that many of you were either in the womb or may be in your cradle, when this great on of Africa was parading this continent like a collosus that he was, MKO was MKO of Africa not just of Nigeria. The under listed were some of his achievements

1. Turning ITT into a major Telecommunication outfit in Nigeria in the mode of MTN, ZAIN, ETISALAT
2. Providing world class Newspaper medium in Nigeria eg National Concord, Weekend Concord that made super journalist like Dele Momodu, Dimgba Igwe, Mike Awoyinfa
3. Providing Employment for Thousands of Nigeria
4. Fought for Repatriation of Africa's stolen wealth
5. Provided Scholarship for indigent students
6. Philanthropist par excellence
7. Had the conviction that Nigeria can bid farewell to poverty through Hope '93 campaign
8. Fought the Military Junta of Sani Abacha head on through the Epetedo Declaration
9. A True Democract with impassioned commitment to fair play and Justice
10. A Lover of Entertainment which was evident in grooming and providing platform for Nigerian Musicians like FELA to display their talent to the world

Let all naysayers and hare-brain youths go back and learn their history. MOSHOOD KASHIMAWO OLAWALE UNIVERSITY, LAGOS HAS COME TO STAY.

I challenge you to provide us with a serious source for each of the claims you have above. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Substantiate all the claims you have above with evidence from reliable sources or be a liar with no shame.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by yd849ja: 6:31pm On May 31, 2012
emmasege:

It's obvious u are one of those unreasonable folks that make them describe us rascals and whose sense of reasoning has been beclouded by ethnic bias. It's also apparent that u don't see beyond ur S/west horizon. For ur info, am born and bred in the Oyo empire, did my schooling in the best of Nigerian Universities and am widely traveled both within and without. i am not "omo eko", neither am i "omo at'oko wa bale je" like u.i however sense that u still have a few cells working in ur brain by thinking he should have been immortalized thru National stadium or eagle square. No Nigerian either dead or alive yet deserves this honour of re-naming UNILAG after him.

I repeat once again you are a basterd(this error was intentional) child. Omo Ale to fi owo osi ju we ile baba ni e. Because you were born and breed in a Yoruba land does not qualify you to be one. So zip it! And so you may know, I am first a Yoruba before a Nigerian. An American would tell you he is either an Italian, Irish, Indian American etc. Because they understand the essence of origin and not to take it beyond that. Unlike you so called bigot do here in Nigeria. You all hide behind Nationalism to perpetrate your foolish and unreasonable acts. Heritage to me my friend is worth more than all new things the likes of GEJ can ever or would ever achieve in life. Past they say is the key to the future. And that is why we don't need him to destroy them all. Like they have done to UNILAG now. There is nothing wrong about identifying with your ethnic group it only become an issue when you lord it over others. What we don't want is hatred for another. Why are you people so screwed up in your thinking. Its very obvious you have a long way to go in life. So AWO too doesn't deserve it, ZIK too doesn't, our unknown soldiers too do not deserve it. I can see where the future of this country lies. Why am I even wasting my time on you. As far as MKO is concerned, history would have it that he did his best for Nigeria. I won't tell you what those are...I leave that for your education and if you like don't get educated.
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by alahamad(m): 6:44pm On May 31, 2012
@ bluetooth....am not here to defend dangote or deviate fron the subject matter but point of correction...for now, no body has held dangote guilty of looting or moving government money for personal use so he's excluded in this issue....

Aboila stole outrightly....don't wrap a rose with rizzla...meet the rasta man for tutorials
Re: Was M.K.O Abiola Truly A Martyr In The Interest Of The Masses?? by nsiadi: 7:15pm On May 31, 2012
Most wealthy people have dubious past. This doesnt necessarily mean that all wealthy people are dubious
Fela tried to x-ray Abiola. Abiola may have been a successful business man but he wasnt an astute politician
He chose a moslem as a vice. We didnt mind that. After all Idiagbon & Buhari were both moslems
A coup financier should be regarded as an abbe ration. He derided the Igbos. Nobody does that & gets free from scars
His presidency could have fed back some of things he took from us. It may not have prevented him from taking more any way
But he did not deserve the way he died. His death, however, threw the doors open for non Northerners to have a peep!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Market Fire: NGF Donates ₦50 Million To Sokoto / INEC Disqualifies 14 Political Parties For Kogi, Bayelsa Gov Polls / PDP Crisis: Wike Tells Mark Panel He Won’t Withdraw Cases Against Secondus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.