Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,680 members, 7,823,919 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola (10524 Views)

Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by Demdem(m): 9:36am On May 31, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Its not as simple as it appears, Afe Babalola's interpretation of section 16, is just that, his interpretation. If GEJ's actions are challenged in court, the opinion which would matter at the end of the day would be that of the judge hearing the case and I venture to guess that most courts in present day Nigeria would not rule against GEJ's position. I'm quite sure that one can find SANs who would have a different interpretation than Afe Babalola's.

Afe Babalola and others who feel angry because they were shunned by GEJ should suck it up and spend their time in strategizing for 2015.

i disagree. If courts were ruling against OBJ's position and favouring LASG on several cases then who is the retardeen that the courts wont rule against if what he did was illegal. abegii say something else.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by nwanioma(f): 9:36am On May 31, 2012
ebamma: why is it illegal,so now if i have a company of mine and i named it Atc enterprises and after 10yrs i wish to rename it Btc enterprises,will dat be illegal?unilag is fg property not lagos state's,the fg has every legal right to rename it.

And so u feel you would change it without consulting shareholders? And the president is not the federal government! Pls they should just accept their mistake and revert the name, i wonder the kind of advisers GEJ has sef!

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by ikaleguy(m): 9:39am On May 31, 2012
Even if you have to change your name,there are legal processes to follow let alone an institution established by an act!! Abeg am not a lawyer o! Make una enlighten us!!
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by maclatunji: 9:42am On May 31, 2012
You all should stop making noise and challenge this in court or lobby the National Assembly to reverse GEJ's proclamation and if he is stubborn show him the door via impeachment. Spare me the unnecessary drama. angry tongue
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by Murphy7h4: 9:53am On May 31, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Igbo_hater:

Beaf let me know when u are done licking GEJ'S ar.se i need mine licked too. You and your boss are nothing but a biological mistake hindering the progress of Nigeria. I wonder why yhe boko boys leaves people like u and go after innocents. You deserved to be shot dead beaf. You will die soon. Bastard son of a b!tch
bumps
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by Baawaa(m): 9:53am On May 31, 2012
GEJ need another set of advisers,GEJ started this year wrongly,may God not let him end it wrongly,if you like him help him to amen!!
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by Nobody: 10:03am On May 31, 2012
GEJ did a right thing indeed but didn't consult appropriately. even the school's authority was unaware. he did it to receive praises from Nigerians especialy from the south west, but now reverse is the case undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by nduchucks: 10:04am On May 31, 2012
Demdem:

i disagree. If courts were ruling against OBJ's position and favouring LASG on several cases then who is the retardeen that the courts wont rule against if what he did was illegal. abegii say something else.

My guess was solely based on the interpretation of section 16 sighted by Afe Babalola. Its quite easy to broadly interpret that section, sir. My guess was not based on the personalities of potential defendants.

Your right to disagree with me is respected.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by blackpanda: 10:06am On May 31, 2012
Beaf: The University of Lagos Act is from 1967. I do not see its use in any law court; uni's are now regulated by the National Universities Commission.
The Unilag act is just clutching at straws, several new and abolished constitutions later, several overthrown govts, as well as a war.

Seriously, how dumb can u be! Every law made by the govt remains in effect until it is repealed by the national assembly. It doesn't matter whether it was made in 1912 or even inherited from our slave masters:I.e britain. Pls go and read the Interpretation Act. Its there in black and white
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by ektbear: 10:07am On May 31, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Its not as simple as it appears, Afe Babalola's interpretation of section 16, is just that, his interpretation. If GEJ's actions are challenged in court, the opinion which would matter at the end of the day would be that of the judge hearing the case and I venture to guess that most courts in present day Nigeria would not rule against GEJ's position. I'm quite sure that one can find SANs who would have a different interpretation than Afe Babalola's.

Afe Babalola and others who feel angry because they were shunned by GEJ should suck it up and spend their time in strategizing for 2015.

Your ventures and speculation are no doubt valuable to you. But not very interesting to me.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by OnlyRebel: 10:08am On May 31, 2012
ebamma: why is it illegal,so now if i have a company of mine and i named it Atc enterprises and after 10yrs i wish to rename it Btc enterprises,will dat be illegal?unilag is fg property not lagos state's,the fg has every legal right to rename it.

Read the gibberish you soooo write! If you are required to change your company name, there must be a recourse to law and the procedure that establish your company's name the first place. Again, can you just change your name and start to bear another. Well, you have every right to your name. But you can't just change your name as there are procedures to follow before you will be a legal owner of the new name given to your self. Why affidavit for change of name? Haba! Teenagers have flooded Nairaland these days.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by Demdem(m): 10:18am On May 31, 2012
ndu_chucks:

My guess was solely based on the interpretation of section 16 sighted by Afe Babalola. Its quite easy to broadly interpret that section, sir. My guess was not based on the personalities of potential defendants.

Your right to disagree with me is respected.

ekt_bear:

Your ventures and speculation are no doubt valuable to you. But not very interesting to me.

Cool cool cool
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by cashcpt(m): 10:18am On May 31, 2012
;
Icee20:
GEJ did it to receive praises from Nigerians especialy from the south west, but now reverse is the case undecided undecided undecided

Jona is a complete slowpoke and his advisers dumb sychophants if this is not true they wld hv known that Yorubas wld kick against this latest error of his.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by nduchucks: 10:22am On May 31, 2012
ekt_bear:

My last words on this issue: Your reaction was not unexpected. Matters of law are usually not interesting, particularly to the layman.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by opata(m): 10:26am On May 31, 2012
Take a bow, Afe Babalola. It is indeed a noble gesture. The only problem is GEJ doesn't have the sole right to carry out the action. He should have gone about it in the proper manner. he isnn't a military president, he can't rule by decrees but by the force and action of law
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by ektbear: 10:34am On May 31, 2012
ndu_chucks:

My last words on this issue: Your reaction was not unexpected. Matters of law are usually not interesting, particularly to the layman.

Oh, I find this legal issue very interesting.

But given that a SAN has spoken, I am not sure what value there is in hearing the opinion of you, a lay person.

Like, I prefer hearing from experts over guys who have about as much legal expertise as myself.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by EmmyBoy2(m): 10:37am On May 31, 2012
Beaf: The University of Lagos Act is from 1967. I do not see its use in any law court; uni's are now regulated by the National Universities Commission.
The Unilag act is just clutching at straws, several new and abolished constitutions later, several overthrown govts, as well as a war.
u are very wrong bro. U are not a lawyer and displayed ur ignorance of d issue here. That an Act was made in 1967 does not make it obsolate before a court of Law.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by pmarine: 10:38am On May 31, 2012
nwani oma:

And so u feel you would change it without consulting shareholders? And the president is not the federal government! Pls they should just accept their mistake and revert the name, i wonder the kind of advisers GEJ has sef!

seconded!...I tire o, we need serious re-orientation in this country.......we did social studies, business studies etc in secondary school and the terms federal government and democracy were clearly defined. Even if its a private business, won't you notify the managers of the company, the bank, CAC etc.....Nigeria is not a one man show anymore, IT BELONGS TO US
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by ommohgyahooco: 10:41am On May 31, 2012
wonders will never end in this country Mtewwwwwwwwwwwww
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by ektbear: 10:43am On May 31, 2012
And on the off chance that you are a lawyer....well, compare his analysis and presentation to yours.

Which do you think sounds more convincing?

He says, "this violates X, Y and Z."

You say "my guess", "venture to guess", "I'm quite sure", etc.

He argues from firm facts, you are arguing from speculation.

Anyway...back to topic.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by ziccoit: 10:44am On May 31, 2012
Big guns from SW have spoken. Those from other parts of the country, esp SE & SS that own the bad son in GEJ, yet to find their voices.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by denitro(m): 10:57am On May 31, 2012
QUOTE FROM A LAWYER

if the law says that the institution shall be named "THE UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS"
Hence it can be called "ANY OTHER NAME" WITHOUT AMENDING THE SAID LAW

If the law says that the institution shall be called "THE UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS"
Hence it cannot be called "ANY OTHER NAME" WITHOUT AMENDING THE SAID LAW

Food for thought
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by duno: 11:20am On May 31, 2012
Please, what is the difference between "shall be named" and "shall be called"?
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by chuksvoice: 11:32am On May 31, 2012
Ever since I have known the name MKO Abiola, almost everything about him has always been shrewd in controversies. Perhaps his ghost has refused to be layed to rest or ... Can some give a logical explanation on this? Am just puzzled
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by Obijulius: 11:38am On May 31, 2012
Does this guy's opinion really count.
Some thieving lawyer know better than to spew their rubbish in public. Who even granted this dog an interview...that reporter should be flogged in public. Mumu
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by ndahbros1: 11:38am On May 31, 2012
Beaf: I posted this on an earlier thread:

For the first time on NL, u have come across an argument u hv no counter to other than d inane post quoted above. Who ever said d name cudnt be changed? Is d learned SAN's erudite opinion against the name change or against the PROCEDURE which gave birth to d name change?
Try and understand issues b4 u comment on them so as to reduce the number of times u make a fool of urself. Y not try bending that obsequious brain of urs to come up with a logical and legal counter to the position taken above?
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by kolexy(m): 12:19pm On May 31, 2012
Spirit of Okija: This is all Jonathans fault!!

He should have left that self-servicer to rot in peace!! Now every Ade, Dele and Deji are grabbing every two second of pess time they can get!! Even his bastard children whose births were as a result of a one night stand with groupie Yoruba women at a Cowbell milk convention sef follow dey talk!!

We don suffer!!

Only a big "I" like you would make such derogatory remarks about other pple's mother. Why are you quick to insult Yoruba people?
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by ndahbros1: 12:22pm On May 31, 2012
chuksvoice: Ever since I have known the name MKO Abiola, almost everything about him has always been shrewd in controversies. Perhaps his ghost has refused to be layed to rest or ... Can some give a logical explanation on this? Am just puzzled

I have always suspected that u r an imb.e.cile. U just provided unassailable proof.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by Obijulius: 12:28pm On May 31, 2012
kolexy:

Only a big "I" like you would make such derogatory remarks about other pple's mother. Why are you quick to insult Yoruba people?
Pally why is the truth pinching u? Comot ur eye if u no like to see true talk naa. Pls save us some space here...don't even bother replying cos u will still smell.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by edicolove: 12:45pm On May 31, 2012
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! This is soooo hilarious!

But really, why are SW peeps like this? So hypocritical Hear them "it was noble but not legal". "We are fighting the the legality, not Abiola". How can you separate the fighting of the legality from the fighting of Abiola? How can you explain to someone out there watching yesterday that you were fighting ilegality? They saw you protesting against attaching Abiola'a name to UNILAG. Simple as that. You didn't believe that Abiola was worth it, simple. If it was ilegality that was the issue, you won't have shown so much anger and disdane as to block the 3rd mainland bridge. You protest would have been more proffesional, not a riot. A riot is total rejection and only comfirms what Al Mustafa said that Abiola's people sold him out and collected change! Never give your life for this country. It isn't worth it.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by Beaf: 12:53pm On May 31, 2012
Emmy Boy: u are very wrong bro. U are not a lawyer and displayed ur ignorance of d issue here. That an Act was made in 1967 does not make it obsolate before a court of Law.

I am presuming that it has long been superceded by the laws governing all federal uni's. Its similar to the laws for wandering, I don't recall them being repealled, but we both know they cannot stand in court. Govt should be able to easily roll out several counter decrees and acts; there have been too many ups and downs with uni's changing roles etc.

Anyway, let the matter be tested in court.
Re: UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola by Beaf: 12:58pm On May 31, 2012
For all those nematodes that have insulted me on this thread, your foolish words have done nothing to my love for cassava bread.
I am still chopping di tin wit akara! Ko ni da fun e! grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Improve The Living Condition In The Niger Delta - U.S. Envoy Urges FG / Sultan Says Nigeria In Hard Times, Urges Muslims To Pray / Port Harcourt LGA Council Seals Federal Marriage Registry Premises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.