Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (18394 Views)

See How Pirate Confraternity Members Welcomed Nnamdi Azikiwe 2 UNILAG In 70s(pic / Picture Of Abiola, Tukur And Yaradua Back In The Days / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by LocalChamp: 4:23pm On May 29, 2012
Sagay, others differ over renaming of UNILAG in honour of Abiola
On May 29, 2012 · In News 3:13 pmEmail0

Lagos – Some prominent lawyers on Tuesday expressed mixed reactions over the decision of the Federal Government to rename the University of Lagos (UNILAG) in honour of the late Chief MKO Abiola.

The lawyers gave their views in separate interviews in Lagos.

President Goodluck Jonathan had on Tuesday made the announcement during a nationwide broadcast to mark the 2012 Democracy Day.

He said the name change was in honour of the late Abiola’s contribution to the nation’s democracy.

A constitutional lawyer, Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), said the president should be praised for his effort to immortalise Abiola, adding that he, however, made a wrong choice in choosing UNILAG.

Sagay said: “The president should be praised for his effort to immortalise Abiola. It was done out of good intention but he chose the wrong institution.

“UNILAG is too well established and has its own individual personality which will be difficult to overshadow”.

He noted that the president could have named one of the nine federal universities being constructed by the government in honour of the late acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election.

“This would have been less contentious because they are yet to be given any names and have no identity of their own unlike UNILAG”, Sagay added.

Mr Bamidele Aturu, a human rights activist, said the president had the power to change the name of the institutioņ stressing that nothing was actually wrong with the name change.

He said: “The renaming itself is not the problem it is was a populist gesture. This must not been seen as a way to garner the sympathy of the people of the South West.

“The Federal Government has the power to change the name of any of its institution but it must be done with approval of the university’s council.

“If the UNILAG Council did not approve the name to be changed, then there will be a problem because it means that due process has not been followed”.

Also speaking, Mr Wale Ogunade, President, Voters Awareness Initiative, a non-governmental organisation, said the proper way to honour Abiola would have been to recognise June 12 as a national holiday.

“MKO Abiola is not known to be an educationist. The best way to have honoured him is for the Federal Government to recognise June 12 as a national public holiday”, he said.

Ogunade said lawyers in the country would challenge the change of the institution’s name in a court of competent jurisdiction if it was not reversed by the government.

He said: “The University of Lagos was enacted by an act, so nobody can unilaterally change its name without an act by the National Assembly.

“I can assure you that this will be challenged in the court because it is an illegality”. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/sagay-others-differ-over-renaming-of-unilag-in-honour-of-abiola/

4 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 29, 2012
LocalChamp: Sagay, others differ over renaming of UNILAG in honour of Abiola

Lagos – Some prominent lawyers on Tuesday expressed mixed reactions over the decision of the Federal Government to rename the University of Lagos (UNILAG) in honour of the late Chief MKO Abiola.

President Goodluck Jonathan had on Tuesday made the announcement during a nationwide broadcast to mark the 2012 Democracy Day.

He said the name change was in honour of the late Abiola’s contribution to the nation’s democracy.

A constitutional lawyer, Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), said the president should be praised for his effort to immortalise Abiola, adding that he, however, made a wrong choice in choosing UNILAG.

Sagay said: “The president should be praised for his effort to immortalise Abiola. It was done out of good intention but he chose the wrong institution.

“UNILAG is too well established and has its own individual personality which will be difficult to overshadow”.

He noted that the president could have named one of the nine federal universities being constructed by the government in honour of the late acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election.

“This would have been less contentious because they are yet to be given any names and have no identity of their own unlike UNILAG”, Sagay added.

Mr Bamidele Aturu, a human rights activist, said the president had the power to change the name of the institutioņ stressing that nothing was actually wrong with the name change.

He said: “The renaming itself is not the problem it is was a populist gesture. This must not been seen as a way to garner the sympathy of the people of the South West.

“The Federal Government has the power to change the name of any of its institution but it must be done with approval of the university’s council.

“If the UNILAG Council did not approve the name to be changed, then there will be a problem because it means that due process has not been followed”.

Also speaking, Mr Wale Ogunade, President, Voters Awareness Initiative, a non-governmental organisation, said the proper way to honour Abiola would have been to recognise June 12 as a national holiday.

“MKO Abiola is not known to be an educationist. The best way to have honoured him is for the Federal Government to recognise June 12 as a national public holiday”, he said.

Ogunade said lawyers in the country would challenge the change of the institution’s name in a court of competent jurisdiction if it was not reversed by the government.

He said: “The University of Lagos was enacted by an act, so nobody can unilaterally change its name without an act by the National Assembly.

“I can assure you that this will be challenged in the court because it is an illegality”. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/sagay-others-differ-over-renaming-of-unilag-in-honour-of-abiola/

I'm waiting for the day the bolded will come to pass and all those that die for june 12 wouldnt have died in vain.

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by OYINBOGOJU(m): 4:34pm On May 29, 2012
Jonathan is just exposing his incompetencies

I pray the court over turn that decision

Again i will have enough pride to tell the world that

THIS GOVERNMENT HAS NEVER GOT ANYTHING RIGHT

2 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Raxxye(m): 5:37pm On May 29, 2012
They should waste no time in taking the matter to court, and I pray they win and reverse the rubbish! If had named the new Federal University of Oye-Ekiti(FUOYE) after MKO, it wouldn‘t make the late man less important. It‘s all part of insincerity and pretence that has come to chracterize Nigerian leaders at all levels. It‘s bull sh.it!!
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by babarazy: 5:37pm On May 29, 2012
hmmmm...........
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by ruemu(m): 5:38pm On May 29, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Jonathan is just exposing his incompetencies

Seconded.

this ur government is being used by a very few for their interest... Most time i wonder if jonathan is in-charge
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by timmy1999(m): 5:41pm On May 29, 2012
Nice move GEJ for naming unilag after the great leader, philanstrop, the people warrior, are ona kakanfo .symbol of democracy we enjoy now
After waiting for this move all my life.what obj can't do for us yoruba. GEj did it.
GEj u just gave me a reason to vote for you for second term
Thank u GEJ..egbe omo yoruba salute you
Great moshood abiola university,lagos

2 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by greall1: 5:42pm On May 29, 2012
It good to gives prominent politician the honour
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by ebamma(m): 5:42pm On May 29, 2012
some students are retards ,if them like dem name am boko haram university that wan go stop u from getting your certificate?,abiola was a hero of our democratic struggle and he deserves it.abi una been want make him rename am sani abacha university?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Hemanwel(m): 5:44pm On May 29, 2012
Unilack or Unilast...worreva,changing 2 Moshood Abiola University,Lagos,iz certainly no big deal.wot humours me iz d fact dat MAUL Aristos r worst hit cos dia mkt value has dropped...hahahaha.#shakara don end ohh!#
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by ruemu(m): 5:52pm On May 29, 2012
oK SERIOUSLY... why no ASO rock renaming to MKO-VILLA

2 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 29, 2012
ebamma: some students are fools,if them like dem name am boko haram university that wan go stop u from getting your certificate?,abiola was a hero of our democratic struggle and he deserves it.abi una been want make him rename am sani abacha university?

i now knw dat sentiment is being attached when it ccome to GEJ. Wats d fuss if d name is changed, y are people underating his descisions, ABIIOLA is a true hero and deserve to be named after anything good in d south west. y do people hate jonathan unnecesarily, allow him to work and stop criticizing. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT , GEJ IS THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA AND IF U DONT WANT TO ACCEPT DAT FACT, LUK FOR D CLOSEST SUCK AWAY AND SUCK IT DRYYYYYYYYYYY. LOOOOSEERS

6 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 29, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]
THAT IS A WELCOME DEVELOPMENT FROM GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN. U HAVE D CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO NAME IT WAT U DEEM FIT, ITS A FEDERAL UNIVERSITY NOT STATE.
GEJ, NOW U ARE A MAN. HATERS EAT SHIT

2 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by micklplus(m): 5:59pm On May 29, 2012
Yes, we clamoured for MKO's recognition but, should his recognition be pegged only to the south west? I would rather he got a national recognition that would cut across regions.

What happened to University of Abuja and other national monuments? Mind you, abiola IS already immortalised in the south west e.g mapoly, abeokuta!!!!!

I would be more at peace if just a national monument be named after him in a place like Abuja.

Unilag is like our ivy league just like the rest of other great universities in the country. There's a legacy in a name and UNILAG is just alright in my own opinion. Why take that away?

On another note, I think jonathan is just playing politics ni oooo. He knows that, the south west hasn't been favoured in the scheme of things and MKO been a reverred symbol in the south west, jonathan decided to play a fast political one , in order for him to garner sympathy and support of the south west people but alas, we nor "guck" am ooo.

Really, jonathan could do better if you ask me buty then, na who I go ask!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 29, 2012
ebamma: some students are fools,if them like dem name am boko haram university that wan go stop u from getting your certificate?,abiola was a hero of our democratic struggle and he deserves it.abi una been want make him rename am sani abacha university?
you are a fool

2 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by tpia5: 6:04pm On May 29, 2012
i think a law needs to be made barring any serving public offical from renaming any of the nation's federal higher institutions.

if you want to rename something, rename an airport, library or park.

the british govt recently announced they want to increase taxes on meatpies, a british staple.

britons told him in no uncertain terms, to better not try it.

the man backtracked immediately?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by poweredcom(m): 6:12pm On May 29, 2012
timmy1999: Nice move GEJ for naming unilag after the great leader, philanstrop, the people warrior, are ona kakanfo .symbol of democracy we enjoy now
After waiting for this move all my life.what obj can't do for us yoruba. GEj did it.
GEj u just gave me a reason to vote for you for second term
Thank u GEJ..egbe omo yoruba salute you
Great moshood abiola university,lagos
You are a fool for posting such a statement do you have brain at all don't you see that this matter speaks more then just potraying mko and yoruba pple alone what is wrong with you

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Fhemmmy: 6:15pm On May 29, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Jonathan is just exposing his incompetencies

The more the dude talks, the more he expose himself . . .
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by kolexy(m): 6:16pm On May 29, 2012
Raxxye: They should waste no time in taking the matter to court, and I pray they win and reverse the rubbish! If had named the new Federal University of Oye-Ekiti(FUOYE) after MKO, it wouldn‘t make the late man less important. It‘s all part of insincerity and pretence that has come to chracterize Nigerian leaders at all levels. It‘s bull sh.it!!

You must be high on Cocaine. What happened to UNAAB.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by member479760: 6:23pm On May 29, 2012
LocalChamp: Sagay, others differ over renaming of UNILAG in honour of Abiola

the council are nobody, anyone that don't like it get a phuck out of the school and look for another job.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by moshoodn(m): 6:25pm On May 29, 2012
kolexy:

You must be high on Cocaine. What happened to UNAAB.
You just ate weed.
There is a school by the name of Moshood Abiola Polytechnic in that axis.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Citypen: 6:26pm On May 29, 2012
In the history of Nigeria, three universities, of same generation, known to have made strong name for themselves were Ahmadu Bello, University of Ife and Unilag. Where are these people hinging on "established name" when University of Ife was changed to Obafemi Awolowo University. It's all politics!

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by 1025: 6:27pm On May 29, 2012
when i was listening to bro. joe, fear catch me because he could rename chelsea fc to ijaw bombers but thank God his mind no go there. still putting new wine in an old jah.
this is one of the reasons why many nigerians don't believe that we are in a democratic country. farida waziri former efcc boss was watching tv one day only to hear on news that she has been relieved of her job on tv. one professor of unilag was on silverbird this morning to discuss democracy day when he heard that unilag is now mko abiola university. why is this man acting as if nigeria is his private business? whose consent did he seek in renaming this university? above all, unilag is yet to bury their vc who died of recent and this one is coming.
it is a shame. even ur wife will not take certain imposition of certain weird decisions on her talk-less of a country.
it is important bro.joe go back and look for advisers because he has proved that he has none.
why on earth is bro joe not getting any thing right.
like i said, could somebody pls tell this man not to change my clubs(chelsea fc) name to kin saro wiwa fc.

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by tonymusogo: 6:33pm On May 29, 2012
Unilag Babes now Abiola Babes=)). 
Unilag FM Station now MFM =)) =)). 
Unilag now Moshood Abiola University ( MAU)
50yrs of swag lost on Democracy day!

Uniport don't laff.
u r next! 
Patience Ebele Jonathan University 
*PEJU*=))

11 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 29, 2012
1025: when i was listening to bro. joe, fear catch me because he could rename chelsea fc to ijaw bombers but thank God his mind no go there. still putting new wine in an old jah.
this is one of the reasons why many nigerians don't believe that we are in a democratic country. farida waziri former efcc boss was watching tv one day only to hear on news that she has been relieved of her job on tv. one professor of unilag was on silverbird this morning to discuss democracy day when he heard that unilag is now mko abiola university. why is this man acting as if nigeria is his private business? whose consent did he seek in renaming this university? above all, unilag is yet to bury their vc who died of recent and this one is coming.
it is a shame. even ur wife will not take certain imposition of certain weird decisions on her talk-less of a country.
it is important bro.joe go back and look for advisers because he has proved that he has none.
why on earth is bro joe not getting any thing right.
like i said, could somebody pls tell this man not to change my clubs(chelsea fc) name to kin saro wiwa fc.

L to the f.uckin MAO!
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by mrking3(m): 6:40pm On May 29, 2012
And in other news uniben post utme date has just been announced. 15th and 16th june. Moderator pls update this.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by GboyegaD(m): 6:49pm On May 29, 2012
Nothing could be more disappointing than this. He shouldn't have chosen UNILAG of all schools to change its name. GEJ out of his sheer stupidity I believe thought he would be able to please Nigerians as taking a right decision for the first time however, he failed again by making a very wrong decision.

2 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by DeepSight(m): 6:49pm On May 29, 2012
If we have Obafemi Awolowo University, Tafawa Balewa University, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Ahmadu Bello University. . . and these are all pre-eminent institutions, then it is CLEAR that the principle of naming an eminent Federal Institution after an eminent national hero is not in question. The only question is therefore the eligibility of MKO for such an honour. For that, I will not argue: history speaks: I will only say that any person who thinks MKO does not deserve such an honour is a person who is not fit to breathe the air of democratic liberty that we today SO ungratefully and hypocritically breathe. PEACE!

3 Likes

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by playboy19(m): 6:50pm On May 29, 2012
So with all these faux pas over and over, could it be that Mr Jonathan is just overly dumbb to realize that he's being pushed to do wrong all the time? Isn't it rather obvious that he's working with the wrong team? Or am I thinking too much of this man? I mean expecting too much from his dumbness? Damn, i think i'm gonna be sick.

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by rakaasta(f): 6:52pm On May 29, 2012
I dont understand some people at all. We r in a democratic system of govt. hw will u wake up 2 change a name of school without f.f d due process haba!!I tot he his a professor.When he came 2 lagos n went into closed doors wit tinubu and akiolu i knew he was up 2 somethg. God is in control o. Atlst d school council needs to b aware bt he as gone 2meet those he feels r important in lagos. These man as gone gaga let us wait 4 wat Rueben Abati as 2 say abt dis again. Anyway maulag students sorry o.No gree o

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Vigilante Operatives Hit By Explosive During Patrol In Borno State. Photos / Saraki, His Friends Have Been Praying For The Death Of Buhari - Omo-Agege / PDP Presidential Campaign Flag-Off Without Wike And Co, A Win For Tinubu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.