Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,419 members, 7,850,491 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:44 PM

Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes (37685 Views)

Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima / Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! / Catalyst System Effciency Below Threshold (bank 1) What Does It Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by rodbel(m): 6:16am On Jul 31, 2013
Hello @niss please I need the pictorial description in my mail too. Thank you. rodbel007@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by dcuteguy2g(m): 7:48am On Aug 04, 2013
Hi nissparts, I came accross this thread TodAy and thot I shld holler @ u. I just got me a Nissan primera 2005 it runs fine emissions seems okay it doesn't overheat of eat oil but it guzzles fuel, its so bad that I get scared to use the A/C. Coz weneva I do it burns all the fuel in the car. Wen I got the car on the info panel it showed the economy rating to be about 8-10 litres for every 100km now the best I have is 23ltr/100Km. Had the front catalyst changed but its still the same way. Wot do u suggest I do? Coz its abt the only problem I have with the vehicle. Thanx
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 9:27am On Aug 04, 2013
What state are you in? Even a Hummer does not get that kind of fuel economy
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by latadeyek(m): 12:20pm On Aug 05, 2013
Hello NissParts,

My Nissan Primera 2004 came up with the code P0420 few weeks ago, and I cleared it. Though I noticed slight increase in fuel consumption, the code hasn't surfaced again. Can I schedule Monday 12th of August for the transmission issue I have with my car. When I used my small car scanner, I got codes P1574 and P1720. Am not sure if there are more codes as there is limit to what my scanner can scan.

Please send me your workshop address as well.

Lateef
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 12:54pm On Aug 05, 2013
Hello,

I suggest you bring it in either during the sallah break or this weekend.
Your transmission is not running through all the gears and may also not be starting from the first gear.
Monday is packed.

68, Iwaya road, Onike, Yaba.

Call to confirm the schedule.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Ikenna351(m): 1:44pm On Aug 05, 2013
latadeyek: Hello NissParts,

My Nissan Primera 2004 came up with the code P0420 few weeks ago, and I cleared it. Though I noticed slight increase in fuel consumption, the code hasn't surfaced again. Can I schedule Monday 12th of August for the transmission issue I have with my car. When I used my small car scanner, I got codes P1574 and P1720. Am not sure if there are more codes as there is limit to what my scanner can scan.

Please send me your workshop address as well.

Lateef

The above post is in wrong thread and section.

Please, we have PM feature. You could have mailed him instead.

Ikenna.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Ikenna351(m): 1:49pm On Aug 05, 2013
nissparts: Hello,

I suggest you bring it in either during the sallah break or this weekend.
Your transmission is not running through all the gears and may also not be starting from the first gear.
Monday is packed.

68, Iwaya road, Onike, Yaba.

Call to confirm the schedule.

Wrong post. PM next time.

Ikenna.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by samoy(m): 9:04pm On Aug 09, 2013
nissparts: If anyone needs a pictorial description of this process, drop your email and I'll send it to you. It's a word document with pictures and too heavy to upload here.
Pls, send it to samoy7458@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Alldruns: 9:26am On Aug 10, 2013
Gd thread!

Pls send me d doc too: alldruns@gmail.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by oniconx: 9:25pm On Aug 10, 2013
My car Isuzu axiom many times switches off power on motion.,The only code read out was P0401 exhaust gas recirc flow insufficient. Could removal of the catalyst solve It pls.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by oniconx: 9:38pm On Aug 10, 2013
nissparts: A spacer is N5000
Am in Ibadan.how do I get the spacer? my box is oniconx@gmail.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by auhanson(m): 2:18am On Aug 11, 2013
jp philips:

spare parts dealers dont know what is oxygen sensor adapter or extenders, i have explained lots of places to no avail, i think its an improvised stuff that matches. what do you use and what is the size you use?

Sure! you are correct man,but that is the name for such improvised stuff, check your dictionary. However, if you cut open a cat, you'll find out that the rear 02 sensor dosen't stick out much into the exhaust gas flow, that is just the size of your spark plug thread. Your auto spare parts dealer should be able to give you a spark plug extender that fit the size of your o2 sensor since the o2 sensor thread are the same as that of a spark plug. Just go to your dealer with your 02 sensor and get a spark plug extender that fit your thread, kaskia.

Alternatively you can locally make your own spacer , just pick 2 spark plugs(a bigger and a smallerone) and tear off the white component from after the threads and bore a hole through them just enough for the exhaust fumes to pass through, then screw the smaller one ontop of the bigger one that screws into your 02 sensor duct of your exhaust to fit in there, while the 02 sensor fit at the top of of the second one

1 Like

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Tinu4real(f): 5:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
@nisspart,pls how much is the catalyst for a 2001 nissan altima gxe.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 5:23pm On Aug 13, 2013
Hi, I can only order it for you.
Not in stock.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Tinu4real(f): 6:17pm On Aug 13, 2013
how much would the catalyst go for?
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Tinu4real(f): 6:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
so if ordering,how much would the cost be?
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 8:05pm On Aug 13, 2013
Post your email so I can send you options and prices.
New cat converters are expensive though
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by Tinu4real(f): 8:35pm On Aug 13, 2013
pibola_2000@yahoo.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 8:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
Sent
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by cjay10: 12:02pm On Aug 14, 2013
Hi Nisspart, i got my car exhust pipe cut and partly disengaged on a very bad road along ikorodu-ogijo, which was later replaced by a panelbeater, along the course of doing it, he told me that the Gbedu(Catalyst) had being removed, but he can help me put something that will serve same purpose, which i asked him to go ahead. He now put some spongy stuff/wiremesh,(similar to what you talked about in your first post) this has made the sound of the engine when i start it to be thick as in turbure like. what do you advise i do? Thanks
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 12:17pm On Aug 14, 2013
The sound is only supposed to be thick/hollow when there is no catalyst element in the exhaust.
In your case therefore I may not be able to advise appropriately without seeing the car.
What car and engine size?
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by cjay10: 3:04pm On Aug 14, 2013
Toyota Camry Le 4cyl. auto. 2001 droplite. engine size is 2.2 or 2.1 am not too sure sha. thanks
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 4:43pm On Aug 14, 2013
If the sound is hollow then it was not properly filled.
The choice is up to you.
Replace with the proper catalyst or use as is and ensure you have no ignition or fuel related problems which can clog that mesh they have put in there. Once that happens, you will experience hesitation and back-pressure, and engine issues.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by oniconx: 9:45am On Aug 15, 2013
P0401 is d code my isuzu axiom car give as error code for exhaust gas recirc problem
When I drive and the engine has heated up well the moment I accelerate into high gear the engine switches off.l Whem I restart it would move sgain as long as I reduce speed or don't go into high gear.Any advice?

1 Like

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 9:58am On Aug 15, 2013
Go to a mechanic, tell him to remove your throttle body. Under it you will see the EGR hose/pipe which will be clogged.
Use a long screwdriver and carburetor cleaner to free it and clean it up.
DAZALL

2 Likes

Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by muhdT: 6:57am On Sep 08, 2013
rodbel: Hello @niss please I need the pictorial description in my mail too. Thank you. rodbel007@yahoo.com
Also need too, my mail addy is naijalite@gmail.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by watino: 9:42am On Sep 08, 2013
also need it my mail is shibarakudesu@gmail.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by kc007(m): 3:59pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hi Nissipart, i want to share my exprience as it concerns catalyst. My Audi A4 2001 mod, 1.8T engine, check engine light shows steady with ignition on. On scan a code about catalyst came up as follows; catalyst system: Bank 1 efficiency below threshold P0420 (16804).
Pls what's ur opion about that & a way to get it solved. Thank u.
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by georgikpons: 8:39am On Sep 09, 2013
nissparts: If anyone needs a pictorial description of this process, drop your email and I'll send it to you. It's a word document with pictures and too heavy to upload here.

PLEASE Nissaparts send me the mail to georgikpons@yahoo.com
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 11:25am On Sep 09, 2013
Sent
Re: Explaining Catalysts And Catalyst Codes by nissparts(m): 11:26am On Sep 09, 2013
A new set of spacers will arrive by month end!
Stay tuned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Car-assembled by nigerians / Motorsport Raceway: The First And Only Car Race Track In Nigeria (Photos) / Gold Customized 1982 Mercedes Benz Spotted In Kaduna (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.