Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed (7483 Views)

105 Dead Soldier Lies. Petrol Tanker Accident In 2008 With Returning Soldiers. / Tanker Accident @iyana Ipaja (pix) / 5 Killed At Alaba International Market This Afternoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by free2ryhme: 9:12am On Jun 01, 2012

Date:
Thu, 05/31/2012 - 23:04
It was a tragic end for at least five persons burnt to death in a multiple accident near Mowe in the Obafemi/Owode Local Government Area of Ogun state in the wee hour of yesterday. The auto mishap that occurred few metres to Redeemed Camp involved a trailer loaded with petroleum product which rammed into some trucks parked along the sideways of the popular dual carriage way.

According to an eyewitness account, the accident occurred when a Lagos bound trailer with number plate, Kebbi, XB370ZUR rammed into some of the petrol tankers haphazardly parked on the two sides of the expressway.

The witness further stated that immediately after the collision, the tankers went up in flames, burning both the heavy trucks parked along the road and some motor boys caught unaware. The accident caused heavy traffic jam along the every busy road, forcing many motorists and passengers to divert their routes. It was a hectic day for officials of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), and the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Agency, (TRACE) as well as the Police controlling traffic. An official of the FRSC who spoke with Daily Sun on condition of anonymity, lamented the accident, recalling that there had been frantic efforts by the Commission to dissuade truck drivers from parking haphazardly on the expressway.

“It is a sad event, but we have tried to no avail to dissadude drivers from parking along the road, because of accident like this,” he lamented. Reacting to the accident yesterday, the concessionaire of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Bi-Courtney Highway Services Limited, noted that it had always complained that trailers parking on the roadside are hazardous.

The concessionaire said it had created eight temporary trailer parks along the expressway to take heavy trucks off the road shoulders, but drivers still park carelessly along the road. “You will recollect that the concessionaire has offered to build permanent trailer parks on the road, which could have solved the problem, but the move did not receive the support of the Ogun State government through the acquisition of land.

“You will also recollect that at the swearing-in ceremony of Ibikunle Amosun as the governor of Ogun State he promised to build some parks within 90 days and actually took possession, although unlawfully, of Bi-Courtney’s land, meant for the asphalt plant, ostensibly to build a trailer park.” The signposts of the trailer park are to be found at the location but nothing more seems to have happened.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/article/hell-highway
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 01, 2012
[size=18pt]OMG!!!! federal goverment... Dangote..... anyway May thier soul R/I/P

[/size]
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Victorjoseph(m): 2:02pm On Jun 01, 2012
May their gentle soul rest in perfect peace
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by sexlog(m): 2:12pm On Jun 01, 2012
RIP
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by snthesis(m): 2:13pm On Jun 01, 2012
wetin concern dangote for this accident
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 01, 2012
had two family members dat passed dat place ystday..
am glad i hrd from dem same ystday..
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by intelligen(m): 2:20pm On Jun 01, 2012
It seems my belovd country is now gettng synonymous with bad news on a daily basis...wher's d goodluck in my presidnt's name...RIP
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by intelligen(m): 2:21pm On Jun 01, 2012
It seems my belovd country is now gettng synonymous with bad news on a daily basis...wher's d goodluck in my presidnt's name...GOD HELP NAIJA..
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Frank3n2(m): 2:21pm On Jun 01, 2012
Lord not again!! Every time same bad news.. SmH RIP
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by vicholas(m): 2:23pm On Jun 01, 2012
Who owns the tankers parked by the road side of the express ? is it not those that are in power.
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by logica(m): 2:33pm On Jun 01, 2012
As usual.
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jun 01, 2012
reckless bastards
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by blacksta(m): 2:36pm On Jun 01, 2012
PDP must drink blood - I thought Government awarded the same road contract to Babalakin and part of the deal was to provide petrol tankers parking space rather than them parking on the motorway .
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by V6ix(m): 2:37pm On Jun 01, 2012
this is getting worse by the day pls goverment we seeking for your help
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by zangiff(m): 2:38pm On Jun 01, 2012
help oohh,road safety
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by dagreen14: 2:49pm On Jun 01, 2012
Dangote himself needs to be summoned to court asap.... Yes he has alot to answer for
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by jeffizy(m): 2:49pm On Jun 01, 2012
As sad as this story is, it reminds me of the constant effort made by ogun state govt under Gbenga Daniel to relocate them away from the main express. They frustrated his effort. He even brought in the military at the time when they refused to use the parks. All to no avail. Now without force or fuss, I believe they will comply. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by octavian(m): 3:32pm On Jun 01, 2012
Sad story... Spent 4hrs 30mins between Sagamu Interchange & Redemption Camp yesterday...
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by ebamma(m): 4:03pm On Jun 01, 2012
dis tanker drivers always drive as if the are the owners of the road,it will be better for the govt. To do another route for tankers.
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by lolaluv1(f): 4:24pm On Jun 01, 2012
Eyah!
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Nasri100(m): 4:33pm On Jun 01, 2012
When i see deaths caused by Tankers" My brain just kills mee I want to kill my self aaarrrrrrgggggggh!!!!! #angry
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by princeonx: 5:04pm On Jun 01, 2012
V6ix: this is getting worse by the day pls goverment we seeking for your help
bandiejay: [size=18pt]OMG!!!! federal goverment... Dangote..... anyway May thier soul R/I/P

[/size]
ebamma: dis tanker drivers always drive as if the are the owners of the road,it will be better for the govt. To do another route for tankers.

What's up with some of you and the so called government? If it rains, government! If it's too hot, government or Jonathan! Yes we have a messed up government that's if we even have one but they're not responsible for every single thing that happen in Nigeria. Trucks and tanker get involved in accident in the western world too including US and UK. We really should talk like people with brain especially in a public forum. I also don't know any Country in the world with a completely different route for tankers and trailers. What we really need is to apply/enforce the law because we have them in naija but never obey them. Why is a truck parked beside the road? Even if it was faulty, were there caution signs to warn on coming vehicles? How fast was the tanker that ran into the parked one going? Yes the government need to fix the bad roads while the road user (we) also need to obey some simple rules.

1 Like

Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Havilah93(m): 8:53pm On Jun 01, 2012
in this country dat we live in, only GOD can save us. Accidents are now a daily occurrence. Lord have mercy
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by nlofficial(m): 10:17pm On Jun 01, 2012
Nna mehn, I was in that traffic for over 4 hours.
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Nnaemiemax: 10:42pm On Jun 01, 2012
prince_onx:

What's up with some of you and the so called government? If it rains, government! If it's too hot, government or Jonathan! Yes we have a messed up government that's if we even have one but they're not responsible for every single thing that happen in Nigeria. Trucks and tanker get involved in accident in the western world too including US and UK. We really should talk like people with brain especially in a public forum. I also don't know any Country in the world with a completely different route for tankers and trailers. What we really need is to apply/enforce the law because we have them in naija but never obey them. Why is a truck parked beside the road? Even if it was faulty, were there caution signs to warn on coming vehicles? How fast was the tanker that ran into the parked one going? Yes the government need to fix the bad roads while the road user (we) also need to obey some simple rules.

Guy u just made a whole lot of sense!!!
Tell them..
Yeye pipo!!
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by alex406(m): 9:01am On Jun 02, 2012
I wish what Gov Fash did at apapa can also be done on these roads leading to other states. Federal Govt should step up their game.
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Ritee419(f): 9:19am On Jun 02, 2012
OMG!!! May their gentle soul rest in peace.
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Ritee419(f): 9:23am On Jun 02, 2012
embarassed wink kiss Govt should pls do something about that road.. May they rest in peace
Re: Multiple Tanker Accident At Lagos/Ibadan Expressway. 5 Killed by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jun 02, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Ogun, Lagos top list of $1.69bn investment destinations in Nigeria in Q2 ― NIPC / Peter Obi/labour Party Vs Inec/tinubu/shettima/apc Final Written Address / FCT Insecurity: ‘Tinubu Will Find Lasting Solution’ – Atiku’s Ex-Aide, Bwala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.